• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Now that we're approaching the end of Resistance I have to say that I'm disappointed with it. I think it has been a big missed opportunity. With them announcing that Poe and Phasma would be featured in the show, and it being called Resistance, I thought this was gonna be a great chance for them to show us the state of the Resistance and First Order pre-TFA. It does do some of that but the whole show feels really detached from the main conflict since the whole season has taken place on the platform.

My hope for a season 2 is that we get to see a lot of the rebuilding that the Resistance has to do post-TLJ and the inner working and power struggles that could arise from Snoke dying.

But it'll probably just be the odd-adventures of Kaz in which now and then he does something tangentially related to the Resistance.

The art and new designs are killer, though. That has disappointed not disappointed.
That sucks to hear. I guess the solace is that all Star Wars cartoons so far have had bad first seasons and then eventually find their footing. Like you said, hopefully once they can play around more post-TLJ, things improve.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm once again trying to read the mainline comic series and still struggling. God the art is bad, or at least the human faces are. Larroca is actually pretty good at drawing space ships and aliens but his body portions can be really wacky and his human faces are plunged so deep into the uncanny valley I want to vomit. Story is still pretty boring too which makes it even harder to look past the distracting art. It got kinda interesting for one issue they were on an island on mon Cala but then the next issue is literally just Luke drinking milk in a cafeteria while Leia goes to a board meeting. Wow. It seems insane that this is the same team that made the fantastic Vader series, though even it had some pretty questionable art sometimes it just was a lot less frequent.

I really really hope the new creative team after Gillen leaves will do a better job. (Doubt it).

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

so_good.png

It honestly surprises me how quickly people forget that Yoda still joked around on his own deathbed tbh.
'm once again trying to read the mainline comic series and still struggling. God the art is bad, or at least the human faces are.
Is it that one art style that is hyper realistic but results in the faces just looking a tad off? Or are these other comics that got released recently that I've missed?

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yoda uses silliness for teaching occasionally (ESB, AOTC, might've been doing this in The Clone Wars as well). And knows how to have fun too.
Weird how some people just don't get that.

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we're approaching the end of Resistance I have to say that I'm disappointed with it. I think it has been a big missed opportunity. With them announcing that Poe and Phasma would be featured in the show, and it being called Resistance, I thought this was gonna be a great chance for them to show us the state of the Resistance and First Order pre-TFA. It does do some of that but the whole show feels really detached from the main conflict since the whole season has taken place on the platform.

My hope for a season 2 is that we get to see a lot of the rebuilding that the Resistance has to do post-TLJ and the inner working and power struggles that could arise from Snoke dying.

But it'll probably just be the odd-adventures of Kaz in which now and then he does something tangentially related to the Resistance.

The art and new designs are killer, though. That has disappointed not disappointed.
Kinda my feelings that i mentioned in the OT.
the solo spy angle relegates almost everyone else to background filler,
The ones directly connected to the purpose of the conflict(Poe, Leia, Phasma, Hux, Pyre, Vonreg) hardly appear or even interact

The race/ace pilot thing is just there as backdrop set dressing, you don't even really see anything of them besides the little you see Torra

Synara is like the only one in the series I see as a legitimate character so far.

Like I said even when Rebels was bad or filler it was setting the family/team aspect up which was extremely important to it by the end
Sabine for example had like 1 focus episode and little development before the 3rd season but still was entirely relevant.
The Ghost crew was
1. Always getting supplies for the Rebels.
2. Actually fighting the Empire
3. Jedi stuff (which was also helpful)
Kaz being a spy is actually insignificant 90+% of the season so far.

I feel like Tam and Torra should have been far more relevant throughout and probably closer as friends as well with
Tam leaning towards the First Order earlier and Torra being pulled in to the resistance

I think the reason it makes me upset or disappointed is that it has crazy potential, certainly more than Rebels had a face value.

Last edited:

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Its really midbaffeling how different the perception of the humor in that movie between you guys and me ( and as it seems a lot of other people) is.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Its really midbaffeling how different the perception of the humor in that movie between you guys and me ( and as it seems a lot of other people) is.
Is there really that much humor after the canto bight sequence? It gets pretty grimdark..

What scenes did you specifically dislike, because of the humor? The OT also included lots of humor, so its not like there is no precedent.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What scenes did you specifically dislike, because of the humor? The OT also included lots of humor, so its not like there is no precedent.
Hux getting pulled over the floor like some Idiot.
Luke throwing the sword away in the beginning.
Yoda acting like he ate mushrooms or something.
Finn with his leaking suit.
The whole shit at Ach-Too with these alien-nuns.

Its everytime so awful und tonally off to everything thats going on currently, its like someone pulled the worst attempts of humor in Marvel movies and put them in this. And now someone will post that even in the original trilogy were jokes, but it was never so tonebreaking and visual overthrowing everything. The only thing that is even closely comparable is the smirk of Han Solo in ROTJ, and even this is hated by people, excluding all the stupid gags from the Special Editions.

And even comparing the deathbed "joke" against this... sorry. I really cant understand how this is even supposed to be close. Its not an attempt to make you loud
out loud. In TLJ Yoda is back to his stunt that he pulled off to test Luke right they first meet and it makes no sense, even when the whole dialogue gets better as the talk goes on.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The nuns was pure George Lucas stuff (in a good way). I loved it. Muppety humor gave me a lot of Lucas original trilogy humor vibes.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really that much humor after the canto bight sequence? It gets pretty grimdark..

I'd take freaking Jar-Jar over the Poe/Hux thing and Luke tossing the saber
Saber thing was somewhat acceptable but the Poe joke was so out of place I can't believe it was allowed to stay in.
Such a sour way to start out the movie.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah, I'll never understand how people see TLJ as anything other than recapturing the original spirit of Star Wars. For all the Johnson bashing, he has seemed like the guy who most deeply understands what Star Wars is at its core.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Saber thing was somewhat acceptable but the Poe joke was so out of place I can't believe it was allowed to stay in.
I really couldnt grasp that this is actually happening right now when I saw the Poe/Hux thing for the first time.

Also. Completly agreed on the Jar Jar Binks thing.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking stepping in poop and screaming "ICKY ICKY POO" is better humor than Oscar Isaac being sarcastic?

Uhhh.....

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Oscar Isaacs more out of place than being FARTED on in the face and plugging your nose helping out "peeeeweeee"?

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How is Oscar Isaacs more out of place than being FARTED on in the face and plugging your nose helping out "peeeeweeee"?
The fitting equivalent would be if Qui Gon Jin would get a fart into his face.

How is that more out of place than farts and stepping in poop with cartoony squish sounds?
Jar Jar at leat is the guy says the stupid shit all the time. Still, not sure what Sarcasm has to do with the Poe/Hux Joke. Its not sarcasm.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Poe being sarcastic and throwing out that joke about Hux's mom is pretty fitting of him being a cocky full of himself hotshot though.
Its not sarcasm. Do you even know what sarcasm is lol?
And yeah very fitting. The one single time where he actually says something like this and immediatly stops acting that way. If he had pulled these awfully gags in TFA, ok, but that way its completly random and stupid.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
In the comics, it's revealed Poe learned the joke from a Jar Jar joke book as a kid. So, the real joke is on all of us.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see Han in the OT making the exact same joke and it fitting pretty perfectly. It was very typical OT style humor.

Oct 25, 2017
Jar-Jar is just a dumb side character, being clumsy and making himself look stupid doesn't effect anything within the actual movie(obviously besides being a waste of screentime to us)

Poe and Hux are supposed to be fairly important characters, and they get what feels like an in your face joke joke instead of a stupid little gag.
Can you imagine anyone saying a joke like that to Tarkin?
Even Ezra doesn't make dumb jokes like that.

The BB-8 hangar scene was another bit that just really took me out of it,
Hangar with hundreds of Rebels get blown up and immediately cut to BB-8 flying out in comically.

The humor was just weird for me in the movie.
On the other hand the maids or whatever jokes worked for me.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is literally nothing even in the slightest bit more out of place about Poe saying "If you reach him tell him Leia has an urgent message for him. About his mother."

Compared to Han saying as Luke. Leia, and Han were being crushed and about to die "we are about to be a lot thinner!" or saying "We are all fine here....how are you?" on the comlink both in ANH.

I cannot for the life me even wrap my head around the possibility of thinking that Poe line is more out of line than those two. Not even in the slightest. The suggestion alone is just baffling.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Ezra doesn't make dumb jokes like that.
Ezra had tons of goofy slapsticky joke scenes...what are you talking about?

I can't take anyone seriously if they tried to argue Han loudly joking "WE ARE ABOUT TO BE A LOT THINNER" as they think they are about to be crushed to death horribly is less silly than: "If you reach him tell him Leia has an urgent message for him. About his mother."

Or that the badass from ESB Boba Fett falling into the mouth of a puppet that then burps as he eats him.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Funny shit in the best star wars movie:
Swamp monster swallowing R2-D2 then spitting him out.
R2-D2 panicked and annoyed spitting out mud *meep*
Yoda digging through Luke's shit *meh, bah!*
Yoda being goofy as shit with Luke.
Chewie yelling at Ugnaughts while they toss around c-3p0's head
everything C3P0 says ever
everything about the hyperdrive of the falcon being trash. how many times does han solo smirk then?
Lando's cheesy smoothness to Leia.
Han being annoyed at Lando's cheesiness.
Leia calling han a nerf herder
Han saying Chewie could use a good kiss.
and I thought they smelled bad on the outside

get outta here with these dumb complaints about tiny moments of humor, they don't fuck with the tone.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard.
Ezra had tons of goofy slapsticky joke scenes...what are you talking about?

I can't take anyone seriously if they tried to argue Han loudly joking "WE ARE ABOUT TO BE A LOT THINNER" as they think they are about to be crushed to death horribly is less silly than: "If you reach him tell him Leia has an urgent message for him. About his mother."

Or that the badass from ESB Boba Fett falling into the mouth of a puppet that then burps as he eats him.
Snide remarks that are humorous vs Poe doing a full on bit is the difference for me

Boba Fett thing is a gag which is fine(though silly)

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Youre wrong. The whole shit with "IS SOMEONE THERE?? HELLO?? HELLO?? NOHOOBODYS THERE????" is part of the same scene.
Yeah, that scene was very short. Very much in line with the length of the goofy back and forth in the detention center in ANH.

Edit: Okay I timed it. The Poe and Hux call was 1 minute and 19 seconds. Very much in line with the scene in ANH.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
... I loved the Finn water suit gag.

In fact I would say most of the jokes "hit" for me. There was maybe one or two that didn't. But it felt in line with Star Wars type humour for me personally.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Snide remarks that are humorous vs Poe doing a full on bit is the difference for me

Boba Fett thing is a gag which is fine(though silly)
There's an actual plot motivation for Poe's bit, it's not the movie screeching to a halt so Oscar Isaac can do some shtick. But really the only difference between jokes in TFA/TLJ and jokes in the OT is that people have grown up on and internalized the latter for years whereas the former is still fresh. Humor has always been a regular part of Star Wars and I think that's something that people have forgotten because of how ingrained the originals are. Which is why I brought up the Leia line. Your impression is that nobody would dare make a joke in front of such a grim, austere character like Tarkin, when actually the first thing Leia says to him about is about how he smells bad.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so done talking about TLJ with people who have never watched Star Wars before. It's 2019 and I have a life to live.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I'm once again trying to read the mainline comic series and still struggling. God the art is bad, or at least the human faces are. Larroca is actually pretty good at drawing space ships and aliens but his body portions can be really wacky and his human faces are plunged so deep into the uncanny valley I want to vomit. Story is still pretty boring too which makes it even harder to look past the distracting art. It got kinda interesting for one issue they were on an island on mon Cala but then the next issue is literally just Luke drinking milk in a cafeteria while Leia goes to a board meeting. Wow. It seems insane that this is the same team that made the fantastic Vader series, though even it had some pretty questionable art sometimes it just was a lot less frequent.

I really really hope the new creative team after Gillen leaves will do a better job. (Doubt it).
I picked up the 1-12 hardcover of the Darth Vader series (from 2016) from the library and I'm quite enjoying it. Would you happen to know what to read after this? I looked on Amazon and there's a couple of different Vader series so I'm a bit confused.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am so done talking about TLJ with people who have never watched Star Wars before. It's 2019 and I have a life to live.

Big facts here. Too much good Star Wars shit coming this year to get bogged down discussing the same tired arguments with the vocal detractors.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
There's an actual plot motivation for Poe's bit, it's not the movie screeching to a halt so Oscar Isaac can do some shtick. But really the only difference between jokes in TFA/TLJ and jokes in the OT is that people have grown up on and internalized the latter for years whereas the former is still fresh. Humor has always been a regular part of Star Wars and I think that's something that people have forgotten because of how ingrained the originals are. Which is why I brought up the Leia line. Your impression is that nobody would dare make a joke in front of such a grim, austere character like Tarkin, when actually the first thing Leia says to him about is about how he smells bad.
Word. But also, I think there is an argument to be made that in some ways it is different from the humor cited from the OT, but still in the defense of Poe's joke. It's more layered and purposeful than your typical star wars slapstick.

It restablishes and reinforces Poe's cocky/jokey personality that was set up at the beginning of TFA was never revisited, it adds layers of petulance that better define and re-contextualize Hux that was only barely hinted at in TFA, it sets up the tone of the entire film and surprises the viewer by contrasting with the super serious trailers (like, wait WHAT this is straight up old school family friendly comedy that wasn't remotely hinted at or expected, so yeah it "subverts expectations" but in a way that is just signalling it's what you should have expected), and it has a tactical purpose in delaying and baiting the bad guys.

George Lucas has an amazing imagination and the OT is untouchable, but he was not a particularly nuanced writer or even trying to piece things together as cleverly as Rian. His humor was character and world building, but rarely as purposeful. I would argue this joke is emblematic of the care Rian took to writing the film.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is it that one art style that is hyper realistic but results in the faces just looking a tad off? Or are these other comics that got released recently that I've missed?

I guess you could call it realistic. But it's just the faces, the body's and surroundings aren't realistic at all so it's super contrasting. And the so called "realistic" faces come off as crappy trace jobs airbrushed to hell. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they are too cause sometimes you see faces of the main characters taken right out of the movies and awkwardly applied to different contexts that don't work at all.

I picked up the 1-12 hardcover of the Darth Vader series (from 2016) from the library and I'm quite enjoying it. Would you happen to know what to read after this? I looked on Amazon and there's a couple of different Vader series so I'm a bit confused.

There's two hardcovers of the original Vader run that's written by Kieron Gillen, that's the one the takes place after A New Hope. The second Vader series is written by Charles Soule and takes place after Revenge of the Sith (so chronologically first) and so far only has one hardcover released iirc.

I assume you have the Gillen hardcover vol1 so this is the one you want to continue to:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Da...ol+2&qid=1552579689&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

For some reason Amazon says it's written by Jason Aaron but that's a mistake.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you could call it realistic. But it's just the faces, the body's and surroundings aren't realistic at all so it's super contrasting. And the so called "realistic" faces come off as crappy trace jobs airbrushed to hell. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they are too cause sometimes you see faces of the main characters taken right out of the movies and awkwardly applied to different contexts that don't work at all.

There's two hardcovers of the original Vader run that's written by Kieron Gillen, that's the one the takes place after A New Hope. The second Vader series is written by Charles Soule and takes place after Revenge of the Sith (so chronologically first) and so far only has one hardcover released iirc.

I assume you have the Gillen hardcover vol1 so this is the one you want to continue to:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Da...ol+2&qid=1552579689&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

For some reason Amazon says it's written by Jason Aaron but that's a mistake.
Perfect, thank you. Yeah, it's the Gillen one.

Status
Not open for further replies.