• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I started watching all of the series (all films + The Clone Wars + Rebels) in chronological order tonight in preparation for The Rise of Skywalker. I've actually never seen Solo, Rebels, or all of The Clone Wars, so I'm excited to get to those...

... but god damn, the first two prequel films don't hold up well. The podracing scene and final act for The Phantom Menace are okay and great respectively, but the rest of that movie is so boring. And I haven't finished Attack of the Clones yet, but about forty minutes in, the only good scene so far was in the bar when Obi-Wan and Anakin were hunting down Padmé's would-be assassin. Aside from that, the only thing on my mind so far is how much of a fucking creep Anakin is when it comes to Padmé. Dude gives me the chills, and not at all in a good way.

Can't wait to get to The Clone Wars, because that's when the quality should start going up, I think. I've only watched a few episodes of it before, but I remember it being entertaining for the most part.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so Adam wasn't at Celebration since he's doing a play...with Keri Russell.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

IS KERI KYLO'S MOM?!

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
In episode 9 we're going to find out that the reason Sidious lived is because he learned to cheat death like Plaguis

JJ out here tying together all trilogies.

and i hope to god rey has nothing to do with any of this shit or force experiments with Sidious. Especially given what happens on Jakku

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished AotC a few minutes ago. The final act of it on Geonosis was better than I remembered it being, and overall, the movie was better than TPM... though again, Anakin was such a creepy fuck in the first half.

Gotta go to bed now, but I'm gonna start The Clone Wars after work tomorrow.

EDIT: Before I forget to ask: I have the chronological order of The Clone Wars, but is there any specific order I should watch Rebels in when I get to it? Or was that one aired chronologically?

Oct 27, 2017
The more I dwell on it the more I'm sure that the theory of Skywalker being a renaming of Jedi is totally off base. It's gonna be Anakin or Luke. Probably Anakin. The talk of it ending the whole saga not just the trilogy, the return of the emperor, and the use of old concept art for the Death Star (remember the Anakin/Vader ghost) and a certain rumor all point to Anakin having some role. And with a title like that how can he be involved and it not refer to him?

But maybe it's Luke. Or someone else. I'm just sure it's referring to a person not the Jedi in general, and Anakin is the obvious candidate.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
The more I dwell on it the more I'm sure that the theory of Skywalker being a renaming of Jedi is totally off base. It's gonna be Anakin or Luke. Probably Anakin. The talk of it ending the whole saga not just the trilogy, the return of the emperor, and the use of old concept art for the Death Star (remember the Anakin/Vader ghost) and a certain rumor all point to Anakin having some role. And with a title like that how can he be involved and it not refer to him?

But maybe it's Luke. Or someone else. I'm just sure it's referring to a person not the Jedi in general, and Anakin is the obvious candidate.

I really hope they don't rename Jedi to Skywalkers. I want Jedi to remain but take on a new meaning. If anything I'd want Rey to symbolically take on the last name Skywalker. Like she has a conversation with the force ghosts at Force Ghost Con about how she feels like she has no heritage and they tell her she's a Skywalker in spirit and that all of them are with her. Idk. Now that i'm writing it I see that it's corny lol.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so Adam wasn't at Celebration since he's doing a play...with Keri Russell.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

IS KERI KYLO'S MOM?!

VibrantWickedGerenuk-small.gif

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished AotC a few minutes ago. The final act of it on Geonosis was better than I remembered it being, and overall, the movie was better than TPM... though again, Anakin was such a creepy fuck in the first half.

Gotta go to bed now, but I'm gonna start The Clone Wars after work tomorrow.

EDIT: Before I forget to ask: I have the chronological order of The Clone Wars, but is there any specific order I should watch Rebels in when I get to it? Or was that one aired chronologically?

Enjoy Clone Wars, I started it last year myself and watched a couple seasons following the proper order guide, but took a break. Was super impressed though, especially at how well framed the action was throughout. There is a level of intelligence to the way that show handles its content in both loud and quiet moments that shocked me. Actually endeared me to that era of the universe more than the prequels ever could.

I really do need to get back to it, I have a few more seasons to go.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Rebels was aired in chronological order, yeah.
Cool, thanks.

Enjoy Clone Wars, I started it last year myself and watched a couple seasons following the proper order guide, but took a break. Was super impressed though, especially at how well framed the action was throughout. There is a level of intelligence to the way that show handles its content in both loud and quiet moments that shocked me. Actually endeared me to that era of the universe more than the prequels ever could.

I really do need to get back to it, I have a few more seasons to go.
I think I made it ten or so episodes in the first time I tried watching it. I remember thinking that it was pretty good, and that Anakin was actually decent in it. Obi-Wan and Ahsoka were pretty cool too. Excited to get back into it later.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Saving the TPM panel for when i'm home from work later. Hell of a Celebration this year though! So much Star Wars goodness to look forward to : )

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Jedi being renamed Skywalkers makes quite a bit of sense for two specific and canonical reasons:

Luke's legacy and his show of power, coupled with his sacrifice, would elevate him to a mythic status and as the last of the actual Jedi, his name becoming the new nomenclature makes perfect sense.

As Luke points out in TLJ, the most prominent legacy of the Jedi is failure and the hubris that brought them down. The order has been extinguished, largely because of its own dogmatic intractability, and there's no need to resurrect the past and weigh down a new generation of Force adepts with their baggage.

When you think about Yoda burning the Sacred Tree but Rey taking the books to educate herself, there's a clear theme of passing on knowledge and wisdom without making the same mistakes as those who came before. The Tree – an origin point symbolic of where the Jedi began – is destroyed but the wisdom therein is salvaged.

Skywalkers are Jedi but they are Jedi unfettered by the past and unchained by monastic rules and rigid codes of conduct.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
The Jedi being renamed Skywalkers makes quite a bit of sense for two specific and canonical reasons:

Luke's legacy and his show of power, coupled with his sacrifice, would elevate him to a mythic status and as the last of the actual Jedi, his name becoming the new nomenclature makes perfect sense.

As Luke points out in TLJ, the most prominent legacy of the Jedi is failure and the hubris that brought them down. The order has been extinguished, largely because of its own dogmatic intractability, and there's no need to resurrect the past and weigh down a new generation of Force adepts with their baggage.

When you think about Yoda burning the Sacred Tree but Rey taking the books to educate herself, there's a clear theme of passing on knowledge and wisdom without making the same mistakes as those who came before. The Tree – an origin point symbolic of where the Jedi began – is destroyed but the wisdom therein is salvaged.

Skywalkers are Jedi but they are Jedi unfettered by the past and unchained by monastic rules and rigid codes of conduct.
This is a nice idea and there are obviously many real life examples as to how this could happen, but I think that Skywalker as title or a name for the Jedi, while interesting, seems a bit too clunky in comparison. I just can't see them abandoning or replacing decades of name recognition of the term Jedi for straight up marketing purposes. Sith is easy to move on from, Jedi not so much. Rey doesn't have to rename the Jedi to move on from the past, she just needs them to do better. But maybe you are right that is takes the form of a denomination. Sunni are Muslims and Lutherans are Christians, so you could have the Skywalker Jedi.

But I don't think they have to take it that far to justify the title. The epilogue of TFA ended with Rey finding the Last Jedi. The epilogue of TLJ ended with kids inspired by Skywalker. The mythical status to which you refer is all that is needed to justify the title. He is a martyr, he will inspire the galaxy as a whole to rise up.

I understand the Christ->Christian analogy (and no way in hell are they going whole hog on the analogy and resurrecting him, right?!), but if you have to take it a step further and do something with the name, I think it would work simpler as a uniting mantra or idea to join together disparate factions. Kind of like "may the force be with you" they might say "for Skywalker" or something. It would be fully delivering on what VIII set up with Skywalker becoming what the galaxy needs him to be.

Then again there already is a non-Jedi "Church of the Force" in this universe (in fact, the first face you see in TFA is Lor San Tekka, member of this church). Obviously they'd have strong thoughts on Luke. Maybe "Skywalker" won't belong to just the Jedi.

Of course, the title will obviously have double and triple meanings, given this is the Skywalker saga and these folks are constantly rising for better or worse.

Last edited:

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I'm down with the Lutheran-Skywalker name change, but only if after someone says "May the Force be with you" the other person says, "And also with you".

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a nice idea and there are obviously many real life examples as to how this could happen, but I think that Skywalker as title or a name for the Jedi, while interesting, seems a bit too clunky in comparison. I just can't see them abandoning or replacing decades of name recognition of the term Jedi for straight up marketing purposes. Sith is easy to move on from, Jedi not so much. Rey doesn't have to rename the Jedi to move on from the past, she just needs them to do better. But maybe you are right that is takes the form of a denomination. Sunni are Muslims and Lutherans are Christians, so you could have the Skywalker Jedi.

But I don't think they have to take it that far to justify the title. The epilogue of TFA ended with Rey finding the Last Jedi. The epilogue of TLJ ended with kids inspired by Skywalker. The mythical status to which you refer is all that is needed to justify the title. He is a martyr, he will inspire the galaxy as a whole to rise up.

I understand the Christ->Christian analogy (and no way in hell are they going whole hog on the analogy and resurrecting him, right?!), but if you have to take it a step further and do something with the name, I think it would work simpler as a uniting mantra or idea to join together disparate factions. Kind of like "may the force be with you" they might say "for Skywalker" or something. It would be fully delivering on what VIII set up with Skywalker becoming what the galaxy needs him to be.

Then again there already is a non-Jedi "Church of the Force" in this universe (in fact, the first face you see in TFA is Lor San Tekka, member of this church). Obviously they'd have strong thoughts on Luke. Maybe "Skywalker" won't belong to just the Jedi.

Of course, the title will obviously have double and triple meanings, given this is the Skywalker saga and these folks are constantly rising for better or worse.

This is a sound theory as well. I could very easily see this happening.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This is a nice idea and there are obviously many real life examples as to how this could happen, but I think that Skywalker as title or a name for the Jedi, while interesting, seems a bit too clunky in comparison. I just can't see them abandoning or replacing decades of name recognition of the term Jedi for straight up marketing purposes. Sith is easy to move on from, Jedi not so much.

I think this only concerns marketing if the next movie(s) are set further on in the timeline from IX, which is no guarantee. Rian and D&D's films could be set in the past when Jedi were still Jedi, or - at least in Rian's case - it could be set so far apart from the Skywalker films that they don't even touch on anything Jedi related.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
I think this only concerns marketing if the next movie(s) are set further on in the timeline from IX, which is no guarantee. Rian and D&D's films could be set in the past when Jedi were still Jedi, or - at least in Rian's case - it could be set so far apart from the Skywalker films that they don't even touch on anything Jedi related.
That's a pretty strong rebuttal to be sure. Elevating the term Skywalker would be like putting a very strong period on that particular saga, and they wouldn't have to actually abandon anything from a marketing perspective if that's where they go. And, if there is a single word to rival name recognition of "Jedi" in the general public, it would absolutely be "Skywalker". Honestly, Skywalker is more evocative, it has actual meaning beyond a fictional term like Jedi. They don't call it Jedi Ranch or Jedi Sound, afterall.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I mean, it's not so difficult to imagine them being "Jedi" but also "The Skywalker Order". Both can exist for sure.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny, i read the French title as "Ascension of Skywalker" (think that could be literal translation?), which gives the title rather different feel. You know, "rise to Heaven" or "rise to godhood", something like that, rather than just somewhat vague "rise" does.
EDIT I hope this isn't actually the intent here...

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
The Resistance panel ended up being a big waste of time for stream folks. Did they even show a season 2 trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.