• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
yu8t76dvg1331.png

That is the world between worlds portal design right?

+

Hmmmmmmm

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when someone was like "yeah we're trying to scrub the word youngling from the Star Wars vocabulary"?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey. I just gotta say, in my roughly three decades of fandom I have never been more happy with the state of the franchise and the quality of current Star Wars media than I am right now. That is all.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or are some people just out of touch when they join in on Star Wars discussion?

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
I'm upset over "generic" white-dude. Listen, I love Gotham. I love Jerome. But, can't we niggas get one damn thing? Is it so much to ask for a PoC main hero? Y'all already screwed us with Finn, now you gonna even gonna deny the games to us?

I'm with you here. As a "generic white dude" myself, I can confirm that we have in fact become boring as hell.

Oct 28, 2017
England
Either this or an alien.

More PoC leads would be much preferable, but still, why the fuck do we not have more non-human heroes around here?

This! I can sort of understand why alien leads would be a difficult thing for a live action film/series (although there are plenty of near-human species they should use), but why does the lead for SWJ:FO have to be a dull, generic white male human? Take the opportunity and make the lead one of the more... alien looking aliens, like a Dug, or an Aleena?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
That was just super basic, like super mediocre. I'll be there Day 1, but only because I'm a SW whore.

I can't get excited for this after Sekiro just came out and showed everyone how to do proper sword combat.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it looked solid. Supposedly we're getting more tomorrow at MS's conference.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
It looks solid, nothing mindblowing (except seeing my favorite droid at the end lol), but solid. Some more polish and it should be fine.

Not sure if I will get it day 1 through, since Pokemon is coming out on the same day.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it looked good, nothing will top the Jedi Knight games for lightsaber combat but it looks a hell of a lot better than Force Unleashed or the Battlefront games.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I liked what I saw, but so far it's a murder simulator. I would have liked to see him calm the spiders with the Force like Kanan did.

Oct 27, 2017
God of War spoiled me.

It looks good but not great. If it wasn't Star Wars I probably wouldn't have any interest going forward.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, it's basically Jedi Outcast/Academy saber gameplay updated to current-gen standards.

On the other, why the hell do we still not have dismemberment in TYOOL 2019

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
This makes me feel A LOT better:

Jedi: Fallen Order is a rarity among modern games in that it won't feature an onscreen waypoint system for the player to follow. This means you won't see a box or arrow that is always on screen, leading you to your next objective. Respawn wants players to embrace the adventuring mindset and find their own way to the destination. BD-1 can help by bringing up a holographic map that shows a three-dimensional recreation of the surrounding area along with highlighted destinations of interest. Unexplored terrain will be hidden in a fog of war.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
It should be noted that the game is nowhere near as linear as some people are complaining about on gaming side. There's at least one or two extra paths leading off from the spider nest where the player character uses the force to read the "echo" of the stormtrooper's corpse.

Personally I think it looks absolutely amazing. Like, what I've always wanted from a Star Wars character action game levels of amazing. The combat is weighty and OT like in its heft, and I'm excited to see more.

I think the only reason people are complaining about how boring it looks is because they didn't use the opportunity to show off a major set piece moment, which is probably what they're saving for the Microsoft conference tomorrow.

How in the world is it like Dark Souls?

Slower, more deliberate gameplay with lock ons and health bars.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
How in the world is it like Dark Souls?

Why? The levels seemed incredibly linear, how could you possibly get lost? Now, maybe other levels are larger (I doubt it). But, UC never had a waypoint system because it was always incredibly obvious where to go. The only time you got confused is because you didn't know what you could or could not climb on.

We only saw part of one level.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Cal can use the block button in conjunction with triangle to throw his saber a short distance at enemies. If he quickly moves as the saber returns to him, it has the potential to hit other targets in its path much like Kratos' axe in God of War. Cal can also tap L1 at the right time to send laser blasts back at enemies. All Force-powered abilities drain the Force meter, and it won't replenish over time. The player needs to strike enemies to regain it – there are no items that give you a quick refill, either.

The combat system ends up being more about counters and finding clever ways to catch enemies off-guard, or deplete their armor meter to stagger them. The player also has to keep an eye on the stamina, Force, and health meters to know what tools to use. The calculated dance ends up being surprisingly intense, making you think intimately about every little action you unleash. It ends up being circular, with both sides looking for opportunities; a routine fans of From Software's work have come to know well.

"We look at all genres, and all action games," de Haras clarifies. "Dark Souls, obviously, because it's a very what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of combat system. The main character has a simple tool kit, but it's the enemies and world around them that makes it dangerous. It's all about the player trying to read each enemy, figure out what the challenge is, what the different timings are, and react to that and have some strategy."

In my short play session, being a somewhat guarded Jedi in training was an empowering experience that never wavered in fun. No encounter felt impossible or unfair, and instead pushed me to learn how to break the opponents' guards and follow them up with deadly force.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Slower, more deliberate gameplay with lock ons and health bars.

We must have watched a different game. I swear people see lock on and blocks and immediately think it's Dark Souls.

We only saw part of one level.

Which is what they chose to show. How can I take their word that exploration is a big feature when they showed the most linear, straight line level ever?

g_saberrealisticcombat 1

helpmeobi1

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Which is what they chose to show. How can I take their word that exploration is a big feature when they showed the most linear, straight line level ever?

Part of the gameplay has the player character start going down a secondary path though, in the nest of the larger spider.

It's not easy to show off a honeycombing, metroid/dark souls-like level structure within a short span of time, especially if the alternate paths are expansive.

To the left of the Stormtrooper's body, you can see a platform to an alternate path.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Just caught it. I thought it looked aight. Combat looks decent and the graphics look great. Just not feeling the protagonist. Like, at all.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not the best demo but the Game Informer article made it sound pretty impressive.

Everyone who's played it says it feels great so maybe something is lost in the translation when streaming a demo?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Definitely liking what I am reading in that gameinformer article about the "metroid-style" level design. Hopefully that will turn out well and make the trip to the objective interesting.

The only problem is, the game seems to be too easy!

To be fair, it is a E3 demo, which is probably in easy mode, or the person playing is pretty good (or both).

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Watching the Fallen Order trailer has got me thinking back on the old Jedi Knight games. Mostly because they occupy the part of my mind that equates Jedi and video games. The Jedi Knight games had a real freewheeling style to them, allowing you to switch between blasters and lightsaber on the fly, liberal use of force powers to run and super jump everywhere. But it also had some serious jank to it as well. Particularly the saber-on-saber combat which was mostly just shuffling back and forth, swinging wildly and hoping to get lucky. I loved dueling online, but really most of it felt like a coin-flip, and I think I cheesed most of the dark jedi in the campaign by just kicking them off cliffs.

Fallen Order definitely looks more purposeful in its saber combat. You can see parries and counter-strikes. Reflecting blaster bolts seems like the result of good timing, rather than luck as was the case in JK. The saber combat looks better playing in most regards. But for how unwieldy Jedi Knight could be, there was an expressiveness there that I think was core to making it fun to play as a jedi. We see a bit of that expressiveness in Fallen Order when the demo pulls a stormtrooper in front of his own blaster bolt. I hope we see more of that and it isn't all just canned finishers.

It's definitely more on-target than Force Unleashed ever was, at least!

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Too little shown for me to make any real judgments, but it looks like the potential is there. Especially with the bits from the GI article.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Jedi outcast / Jedi academy WERE good, cant change my mind on that .
Granted its been 15 years or so since i played them last so...

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed with the Fallen Order gameplay, everything looked really good. The Force feels really powerful and the combat looks weighty and has a lot of really smooth animations. Graphically it also looks great.

Gooooooooooooooood shit.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed with the Fallen Order gameplay, everything looked really good. The Force feels really powerful and the combat looks weighty and has a lot of really smooth animations. Graphically it also looks great.

Gooooooooooooooood shit.
Yeah, it's looking solid, I can't wait to play it too on PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.