• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue One posters in the style of 40s-50s movies (since it's a prequel to 1977's A New Hope) by Alexey Kot:

dcwe0he.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe the lady who made Altered Carbon is possibly going to make a KOTOR movie. Fuck.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the dude that wrote the Hangover sequels just made Chernobyl so it's not impossible that it ends up being good.

The difference is that TV is a writer's medium. You have way more control over the output. If with near complete control they put out something as terrible as AC, what will they put out with less control?

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The difference is that TV is a writer's medium. You have way more control over the output.
You mind explaining this one a bit further chief? I'm having a hard time understanding the difference of how a writer participates in a feature film than a tv show. And how a writer has more control of the output. Really, a script is more of a blueprint for a film production. When shooting, some things work and some things don't. So then on the set problem solving happens and things change. Sometimes, for example, a character who barely had any dialogue , knocks it out of the park, and is then given more lines/scenes in the film/tv show.

Other than it being a longer production and more writing is needed, I'm not really seeing a difference with a writers job/input with tv and film. Don't take this as a rebuke btw I genuinely wanna read what you have to say about the matter.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You mind explaining this one a bit further chief? I'm having a hard time understanding the difference of how a writer participates in a feature film than a tv show. And how a writer has more control of the output. Really, a script is more of a blueprint for a film production. When shooting, some things work and some things don't. So then on the set problem solving happens and things change. Sometimes, for example, a character who barely had any dialogue , knocks it out of the park, and is then given more lines/scenes in the film/tv show.

Other than it being a longer production and more writing is needed, I'm not really seeing a difference with a writers job/input with tv and film. Don't take this as a rebuke btw I genuinely wanna read what you have to say about the matter.

This has been explained many times before and has come up in the Chernobyl thread. But, TV and Films is vastly different for writers. In the TV world, the writer is GOD. The writer has near complete control over their TV show and the directors are just there for hire, to do what the showrunner/writer wants. In film, the director is GOD. A screenwriter can write as great a script as they want, but the director will control how the script ultimately turns out. They can force you to rewrite everything, dumb things down, or just take your script and change everything without even consulting you.

Craig Mazin's prior work was pretty much all film where he was hired to crank out scripts at the behest of studio heads and directors. He did as he was asked, not what he wanted. However, Chernobyl is his baby. One of the few times he was able to have complete control and the results are evident. So what I'm saying is that if someone has the type of control over a piece of entertainment like they did with Altered Carbon as a TV showrunner and produce mediocrity-trash, then why would they fare any better in the film world as merely a screenwriter where their input matters less?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been explained many times before and has come up in the Chernobyl thread. But, TV and Films is vastly different for writers. In the TV world, the writer is GOD. The writer has near complete control over their TV show and the directors are just there for hire, to do what the showrunner/writer wants. In film, the director is GOD. A screenwriter can write as great a script as they want, but the director will control how the script ultimately turns out. They can force you to rewrite everything, dumb things down, or just take your script and change everything without even consulting you.

Craig Mazin's prior work was pretty much all film where he was hired to crank out scripts at the behest of studio heads and directors. He did as he was asked, not what he wanted. However, Chernobyl is his baby. One of the few times he was able to have complete control and the results are evident. So what I'm saying is that if someone has the type of control over a piece of entertainment like they did with Altered Carbon as a TV showrunner and produce mediocrity-trash, then why would they fare any better in the film world as merely a screenwriter where their input matters less?

This is spot on. There is a very common misconception about the relationship between a writer and the rest of the production process in film and TV. In film, a writer is just a hired gun who works at the pleasure of the director and producers; the writer has no final say over the project and the director and producers can manipulate or rewrite their script to their hearts' content. In TV, the lead writer is usually a major executive producer (often called a "showrunner") who exerts majority creative control over the project along with other producers.

However, this also means that whoever they hire to direct the KOTOR movie will have significant input and control over the script, which could be a good thing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Saw in the Fallen Order trailer was pretty hype. Dude has now shown up in the TV shows, movies and videos games. I'm sure he has been in the comics as well but I'm just forgetting.

I hope we see some more EU characters in there.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not clear when this game is taking place but Aphra is likely too young to show up.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
It's interesting that Purge Troopers were still being used roughly 4 years after the Burning Sea arc in Soule's Vader. I sure they worked on making sure a particular thing during that battle never happens again lol.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when this was accidentally brought up at the end of Celebration?

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I gotta be honest, Star Wars Gang, I'm reaching peak levels of hype for Fallen Order and now the Lego Star Wars reboot thing. Reading through the Game Informer article and listening to their impressions on youtube of Fallen Order REALLY got me. I just hope Respawn pull it off. So far though it looks and sounds like good fun. Emphasis on "sounds"... The music was pretty great in the demo during some of the more quiet moments. I've always loved John Williams' take on scoring the less-than-bombastic stuff in Star Wars and I think whoever is handling it in Fallen Order understands that music language.

I just wish we were also getting that Visceral Star Wars game. I know it was supposedly in development hell, but damn... I just want as many Star Wars games as possible, honestly. I wish there were more studios at work on the franchise at one time. I guess that's one of the biggest downfalls of the exclusivity deal with EA though. Just would be nice to see what other developers would do if they were to take a crack at it.

Dan8589

Banned
May 30, 2019
I gotta be honest, Star Wars Gang, I'm reaching peak levels of hype for Fallen Order and now the Lego Star Wars reboot thing. Reading through the Game Informer article and listening to their impressions on youtube of Fallen Order REALLY got me. I just hope Respawn pull it off. So far though it looks and sounds like good fun. Emphasis on "sounds"... The music was pretty great in the demo during some of the more quiet moments. I've always loved John Williams' take on scoring the less-than-bombastic stuff in Star Wars and I think whoever is handling it in Fallen Order understands that music language.

I just wish we were also getting that Visceral Star Wars game. I know it was supposedly in development hell, but damn... I just want as many Star Wars games as possible, honestly. I wish there were more studios at work on the franchise at one time. I guess that's one of the biggest downfalls of the exclusivity deal with EA though. Just would be nice to see what other developers would do if they were to take a crack at it.

There's supposed to be a smaller scale open world game in development with AA budget. I think that will come in 2022 after Battlefront 3 in 2021.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

This is spot on. There is a very common misconception about the relationship between a writer and the rest of the production process in film and TV. In film, a writer is just a hired gun who works at the pleasure of the director and producers; the writer has no final say over the project and the director and producers can manipulate or rewrite their script to their hearts' content. In TV, the lead writer is usually a major executive producer (often called a "showrunner") who exerts majority creative control over the project along with other producers.

However, this also means that whoever they hire to direct the KOTOR movie will have significant input and control over the script, which could be a good thing.

To be clear, the TV writer god status mainly just applies to the showrunner(s). Staff writers on TV shows do have input on the overall direction of things and are delegated their specific episode(s) to write, but at the end of the day most of the writers on a tv show are not dictating how things go -- at least not nearly to the extent the showrunner does.

And while screenwriters are usually pretty low on the totem pole in film production, that calculus changes if the writer also doubles as a producer on the movie. Lawrence Kasdan did not direct Solo, but as a writer and producer on the film he had a lot of pull on that production, enough so that his displeasure with Lord and Miller deviating from the script often enough was used as a reason for their firing. Likewise, while Benioff and Weiss aren't directing their Star Wars film(s), there's no way they won't have a lot of control over how the projects ultimately turn out, as they are both writers and producers on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.