• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Missed that Alphabet Squadron came out. Anyone read it? How is it? Am I crazy or does the Amazon listing have the entire book under 'look inside'?

Even The Star Wars Show's gettin in on that Alphabet Squad love!

edit: Also reconfirms that it will indeed be a trilogy, bless

So I actually managed to finish this today, and now feel like a bit of a dope as even the flippin' acknowledgments page says there's going to be a trilogy. Oh well.

Impressions-wise, I'd actually think it'd be the most, I don't know, humanistic of Freed's Star Wars works if it weren't for the Rogue One novelization providing a near-constant look into the rocky chasm that is Jyn's inner psyche. And, on reflection, that makes Chass (who idolizes Jyn) all the more intriguing a character.

Overall, it's definitely got that Wraith Squadron vibe, if you've ever read those. I found myself feeling a little bit disappointed at the relative lack of character resolution (other than "they've got a grudging friendship now") but, as I seemingly can't help but constantly bring up, it's a trilogy. Probably will tie up with Jakku and be very emotionally-rending. Still looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
After finally catching up on my non SW reading backlog I'm ready to get back into some literature in a galaxy far far away

Got Alphabet squadron arriving from Amazon today

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading the first book in the Darth Bane trilogy, and really enjoyed it.
Any thoughts on the RoTS novelisation, and Shatterpoint?
Also, I know that the Revan novel gets a lot of hate, is it deserved?

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does tie between alphabet Squadron and Tie Fighter Work.?

Are you supposed to read them in any particular way.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Does anyone think we'll ever see the Maul thread from Solo continued?

Just finished reading the first book in the Darth Bane trilogy, and really enjoyed it.
Any thoughts on the RoTS novelisation, and Shatterpoint?
Also, I know that the Revan novel gets a lot of hate, is it deserved?
RotS is okay. It makes some stupid changes(the Palpatine/Council fight scene is even more ridiculous), but has some good fleshing out.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone think we'll ever see the Maul thread from Solo continued?

RotS is okay. It makes some stupid changes(the Palpatine/Council fight scene is even more ridiculous), but has some good fleshing out.

Ok, thanks.

Re: Maul, continuity wise, wouldn't Solo be pretty close to the SW Rebels timeline?

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically Maul's timeline is scattered across multiple different media but the gist of it is that he was a crime boss in Clone Wars, then he got captured by Sidious, then the show got cancelled so they never made the episode where he escapes but they turned it into a comic called Son of Dathomir. Then he rebuilds his crime syndicate and goes back to Mandalore where Ahsoka kicks his ass again (to be seen in TCW season 7) but Order 66 happens before she can take him into custody so he escapes again and goes back to running his syndicate. Then years later we get to Solo where he's still a crime boss. Then jump forward a few years to Rebels where he's an outcast living on Malachor.

So the part that's missing is how his crime syndicate fell apart, presumably to be told in the Solo sequels we never got.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Basically Maul's timeline is scattered across multiple different media but the gist of it is that he was a crime boss in Clone Wars, then he got captured by Sidious, then the show got cancelled so they never made the episode where he escapes but they turned it into a comic called Son of Dathomir. Then he rebuilds his crime syndicate and goes back to Malachor where Ahsoka kicks his ass again (to be seen in TCW season 7) but Order 66 happens before she can take him into custody so he escapes again and goes back to running his syndicate. Then years later we get to Solo where he's still a crime boss. Then jump forward a few years to Rebels where he's an outcast living on Malachor.

So the part that's missing is how his crime syndicate fell apart, presumably to be told in the Solo sequels we never got.

Aah ok, that makes sense now, thanks.
Btw, are either Season 7, or the Mandalorian coming out this year ?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Maul's syndicate fall apart because anytime he gave an order he had to slowly rise and turn on his Lightsaber. Information just couldn't be passed on fast enough.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to get back into editing and making videos. And, I've had this idea for a while now. But the recent Knives Out trailer proved the perfect little push to get me to cobble this together today thanks to the July 4th break.

Enjoy. Let me know what you think or if you can even see the video. YT and their damn copyright ruin everything.

EDIT:

Alright, you copyright heathens try this on for size.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to get back into editing and making videos. And, I've had this idea for a while now. But the recent Knives Out trailer proved the perfect little push to get me to cobble this together today thanks to the July 4th break.

Enjoy. Let me know what you think or if you can even see the video. YT and their damn copyright ruin everything.

bDWVHt2.png

The system gotcha.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up uploading to Vimeo when I ran into this same problem, and as it turns out, it's a pretty great video-hosting service.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Ah ha, I caught it before the ToS did.

That... makes me want to watch TLJ again, for starters. With the isolated score on, because I'd not realized how much TLJ's narrative is so easily conveyed through the cinematography. Great pairing, regardless.

Too bad you can only upload stuff like 500MB or less unless you pay.

Yep, that's a deal-killer. Still, have you tried reducing the resolution to 720p or hell, 320p on the final render?

I can tell you have the same One Last Time VHS trilogy I do.

I think I own most of the VHS sets (the CBS-FOX Collector's Set, the One Last Time box, the SE Vader head in both widescreen and fullscreen) except the release that was done around 2000 or so. I had it at one point, but I think it got lost in a move.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Ah ha, I caught it before the ToS did.

That... makes me want to watch TLJ again, for starters. With the isolated score on, because I'd not realized how much TLJ's narrative is so easily conveyed through the cinematography. Great pairing, regardless.

Yep, that's a deal-killer. Still, have you tried reducing the resolution to 720p or hell, 320p on the final render?

I think I own most of the VHS sets (the CBS-FOX Collector's Set, the One Last Time box, the SE Vader head in both widescreen and fullscreen) except the release that was done around 2000 or so. I had it at one point, but I think it got lost in a move.
I think I have the CBS-FOX one, it has the original art in a fancy case? I found it for free at a pawn shop that didn't want it.

I also decided to pause the VHS to compare to the DVD, and... yiiiiikes. Talk about a dramatic difference.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when these came out.
h1tXn.jpg

My local blockbuster had a standee promoting them with their release date. I was so so so so excited for them and had my mom preorder the VHS set for purchase at the blockbuster. As it came out in 1995 when I was 9 and up until then I could only rely on watching the films via renting them as the CBS-FOX old releases were off store shelves for a few years by that point.

The choices of faces for ROTJ and ESB were so weird. Yoda was barely in ROTJ in comparison to ESB and Stormtroopers had far less screen time in ESB than they did in ANH or ROTJ.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
h1tXn.jpg

My local blockbuster had a standee promoting them with their release date. I was so so so so excited for them and had my mom preorder the VHS set for purchase at the blockbuster. As it came out in 1995 when I was 9 and up until then I could only rely on watching the films via renting them as the CBS-FOX old releases were off store shelves for a few years by that point.
those box arts were so good too.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
h1tXn.jpg

The choices of faces for ROTJ and ESB were so weird. Yoda was barely in ROTJ in comparison to ESB and Stormtroopers had far less screen time in ESB than they did in ANH or ROTJ.

Ah... The first set I bought with my own money. Still have them stored away somewhere. The only VHS tapes I still have. Years prior I'd received a set as a Christmas gift, but I've no idea what ever happened to that one. A late 80's release if I remember correctly. My grandmother had ordered it through Fingerhut or something like it I think. Our poor VCR, the amount of times I watched Jedi was staggering.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

😭

How Williams tinkers around with the end of the piece (read: a quick, almost Vader-esque allusion) makes me, uh, curious about TROS

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
h1tXn.jpg

Yep, I was 1st introduced to Star Wars with these exact tapes in 1996 when I saw them at 8 years old.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is for me I discovered Star Wars around 1993 when my dad rented ANH to show me.

And as a 7 year old I was too young to be aware of the EU that was just getting kickstarted and there were absolutely zero toys on the shelves. And no one in school talked about it ever.

So for a few years till the merchandise re-launch in 1995 with the new Kenner toys I assumed I was one of the only people who knew or cared about this little movie trilogy. I had no idea at all it was a big deal.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Okay so I feel like I'm insane here.. but there was a version of the movies that had a featurette about how they "fixed" the Snowspeeder scenes where you could see through the cockpit and some stuff from Tatooine in the first movie that was cut.

Does anyone remember what that was?

EDIT: I remember seeing this in the early 2000s

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so I feel like I'm insane here.. but there was a version of the movies that had a featurette about how they "fixed" the Snowspeeder scenes where you could see through the cockpit and some stuff from Tatooine in the first movie that was cut.

Does anyone remember what that was?

EDIT: I remember seeing this in the early 2000s

I think it's this featurette that was attached to the initial VHS release of the SE (timestamped at the Snowspeeder bit):

Yeah, it's that one, lol.

20190705_135316.jpg

20190705_135409.jpg

Mine's the same design, but with, uh, quite a bit more wear. They got a quite a bit of use when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
h1tXn.jpg

My favourite boxart

I'll have to Photoshop some in the same style for the sequels.

Jun 12, 2019

this is such boring look. Lando outfit looks like Lando so that's fine, nothing we haven't seen before but associated with him. Poe could literally be from any movie or video game cause his outfit is that generic. Rey looks like her TFA garb was finally sent to cleaning. Finn is wearing the most generic street clothes, is this even a costume? I swear I walk by 20 people dressed like that each day. Jannah outfit was borrowed from some cheap sci fi TV or direct-to-video. Was costume department on strike or something?

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Some better shots:

I could give or take on Poe's outfit, but Finn has those dope blue pants, and Rey has that damn cool hood. Jannah's, I think, comes down to how it looks in the final film.

Status
Not open for further replies.