• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can just picture Bob Iger getting a notification on his phone and going "What the fuck is a Reylo?"

Oct 28, 2017
No. Partly because you know the resistance isn't about to be wiped out, but mostly because the film isn't about Starkiller Base in the same way that ANH is about the Death Star. The Death Star is what drives the action in ANH; the plans, and rescuing Leia who sent the plans, is what spurs Luke, Obi-Wan, and Han into action. But Starkiller isn't the reason Finn escapes to Jakku, isn't the reason he and Rey team up and leave, isn't the reason why they meet Han, and isn't the reason why they go to stage a rescue for Rey. It's tangential to the characters.

ok, but that's a separate issue then, lol. Nothing to do with being derivative or not.

The plot revolves around rescuing a woman from an imperial installation capable of destroying planets as a small fleet of rebel ships target the weak spot before the weapon fires and destroys what little remains of the Resistance on stand-in Yavin IV, all while our heroine watches on as her father figure is cut down by the big bad. Come on, now.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it is not as good as TLJ TFA is better than all the prequels and Return of the Jedi I really think.

The characterization and the banter between the heroes in TFA are some of the best in the entire franchise. The entire introduction of Rey is just...perfect.

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd argue it's the funniest of the films as well. I don't think I laughed as much watching any of the other films for the first time.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The plot revolves around rescuing a woman from an imperial installation capable of destroying planets as a small fleet of rebel ships target the weak spot before the weapon fires and destroys what little remains of the Resistance on stand-in Yavin IV, all while our heroine watches on as her father figure is cut down by the big bad. Come on, now.

Actually, I'd argue the plot revolves around the search for Luke Skywalker coupled with a brief catch-up of all the major returning players, along with an introduction to the newcomers.

It's also interesting to note the Starkiller Base does what the Death star never did in wiping out the enemy en masse.

Again, there's a lot of allusion but also some subversion of expectations.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While it is not as good as TLJ TFA is better than all the prequels and Return of the Jedi I really think.

The characterization and the banter between the heroes in TFA are some of the best in the entire franchise. The entire introduction of Rey is just...perfect.

Yep. I took to Rey very quickly. She's such a likable and endearing figure.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

The plot does not revolve around things that don't happen until the third act.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
So the Emperor will appear in some form in Episode IX. And according to Kathleen Kennedy, this was "in the blueprint for a long time". I wonder how long "a long time" is. Are we talking the time of the Disney sale (it just so happens that Ian McDiarmid made his first American Celebration appearance at the same convention where George broke the news of new movies to Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher)? Or could it go back even farther (A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back producer Gary Kurtz has claimed that the plan in the 70s was for the series to culminate in a clash with the Emperor in Episode IX)?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Emperor will appear in some form in Episode IX. And according to Kathleen Kennedy, this was "in the blueprint for a long time". I wonder how long "a long time" is. Are we talking the time of the Disney sale (it just so happens that Ian McDiarmid made his first American Celebration appearance at the same convention where George broke the news of new movies to Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher)? Or could it go back even farther (A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back producer Gary Kurtz has claimed that the plan in the 70s was for the series to culminate in a clash with the Emperor in Episode IX)?

It's important to note that there are two different versions of Lucas' sequel trilogy. There's the original version he conceived in the early 80s that he scrapped when he got bored of making Star Wars and decided to roll most of the ideas into ROTJ, and the second version he conceived somewhere in the early 2010s and sold the treatments to Disney. It's possible Palpatine was also in that second version.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
It's important to note that there are two different versions of Lucas' sequel trilogy. There's the original version he conceived in the early 80s that he scrapped when he got bored of making Star Wars and decided to roll most of the ideas into ROTJ, and the second version he conceived somewhere in the early 2010s and sold the treatments to Disney. It's possible Palpatine was also in that second version.

I think the idea that there are lots of Lucas treatments that we've heard about and likely more that we haven't that they're probably pulling from, for sure.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
All Master & Apprentice is teaching me is that Jedis really need an in-house therapist they can talk to.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Rael Averross is the Star Wars version of Al from Die Hard.

Slide52.jpg

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I've just realised that ever since Thrawn 2 I haven't read/listened to a new star wars book.

Have there been any new releases that are worth getting into?

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
All of this talk of Lucas' treatments makes me wish that we got a "What If"... series with his treatments, or at least an idea of what was in there.

So I've just realised that ever since Thrawn 2 I haven't read/listened to a new star wars book.

Have there been any new releases that are worth getting into?

Alphabet Squadron was really, really great. Master and Apprentice was a fun read, I think I'll like it even more after I get around to listening to Jedi Lost.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably reticent to publish a lot of that material on the off chance they end up mining it for future movies.

Well they did a comic based on an early draft of Star Wars.

I'm guessing eventually someone will adapt the Arndt Epsiode 7 script into a comic. What Ifs can be fun. I think someone created a new Legends novel not that long ago.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Shame it's ending so soon, but I bet we see those characters pop up elsewhere as LFL continues to build out the Sequel era.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They finally got Resistance to a great premise that looks more like Rebels and now they're axing it.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
After they didn't bother putting Resistance S1 on Blu Ray (who does DVD-only release in 2019?), I knew this show was going to get axed. S1 was abysmal, can't imagine I'll bother with S2.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Disney really should create a high-end animated series that addresses the thirty-year gap between the films and gives us a full picture of the end of the Empire, the struggles of moping up the remnants, Luke's exploits as a Jedi, Han and Leia's marriage, the birth of Ben, etc.

Plan out a 5-7 year series and get some excellent voice actors who sound the part.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

Mark Hamill doesn't sound half bad as young Luke.

At least, it is better than Bob Bergen was for decades.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
Well, now I gotta watch Resistance.

Also, is the animation like this in the whole series? It looks really good in the trailer.

Hoping that Resistance ending will mean that there will be a new animated show along side The Clone Wars S7 (If we get more after that, I mean). A Black Squadron show would be awesome, but I also love the idea of a show set between Mandalorian and The Force Awakens.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I feel like Disney is doing really bad with TROS marketing. I hope things get better in the following months.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
I feel like Disney is doing really bad with TROS marketing. I hope things get better in the following months.

Disney has Maleficent 2 and Frozen 2 coming out, they want to advertise those. Once GE opens in Florida and gets some good press and Triple Force Friday hits, they'll be going hard. They also need to advertise for the Mandalorian, which comes out first. The last thing they want to do is start hyping it up and the trolls come out and start shouting "LOL You just want us to forget about how much of a FAILURE GALAXYS EDGE IS." Give their other properties time to come out and reestablish how great the Star Wars name is.

Status
Not open for further replies.