• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Knives Out is absolutely genius. My theater was packed, too. Honestly, I don't know if I'd even be that mad if Rian didn't get to make his trilogy, though I still fully expect it to happen at some point.

Best case scenario, we get more amazing Star Wars movies made by Rian Johnson.

Worst case, we get more amazing original movies made by Rian Johnson.
Disney doesn't deserve anymore SW if they find a way to push RJ away.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else find themselves just watching RoS trailers over and over again whenever you have down time?

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Knives Out is absolutely genius. My theater was packed, too. Honestly, I don't know if I'd even be that mad if Rian didn't get to make his trilogy, though I still fully expect it to happen at some point.

I'm seeing it tonight and I can not wait lots of good impressions.

For me it's like I want Rian to make more because I think he is really talented and he didn't do the things the more toxic people claim and I think he could do some really cool original star wars takes.

The other side for me is that I know him not doing one might make star wars conversation more tolerable and like you say we will still get great original films from him.

But also fuck those people that consider him some sort of major issue or trash right?

It's a shame that TLJ became this lighting rod.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
There have been so many TV spots and other assorted trailers that it's all blurred together into a blue-yellow mush for me at this point

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Mandalorian, it really sinks in how this universe has such cool armor and costume design and yet the main movie characters end up in plain robes or generic shirt and jacket looks.

I hope Zorii Bliss isn't wasted.
zorii-bliss.jpg

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
How come they never made a Mimban map on Battlefront II? The atmosphere would've been amazing.

Also, I'm not gonna buy PS+ to just play Battlefront II but I do wanna play it some more. Damn you Sony, why did you have to start charging to play online!? 😭

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I sadly think DICE Battlefront 2 is still an incredibly flawed game that's worse than any of the Battlefield games or classic Battlefront games.

The campaign is...serviceable for a single playthrough I guess? Nothing really special about it.

Also just watched the Clone Wars episode in Season 3 where C3P0 and R2-D2 get captured on the way to get some food for a party. Felt like I was watching season 1 again, such a boring episode. Compared to stuff like Appa Alone it just falls flat completely.

Also I don't understand why people like Cad Bane, he's such a jobber.

ALSO the jedi/republic prison basically just being solitary confinement without even a toilet is hilarious

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Knives Out is okay. I would not mind Rian Johnson staying doing these movies for a bit and refine his process and writing a bit.

His characters still leave a lot to be desired as he writes caricatures and not characters that feel real.

I don't mind the later case.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Watched the final season of Rebels. First half was ok but nothing more, but the final big arc was pretty great. I wonder when or if they'll get back to Sabine and Ahsoka's quest to find Ezra

Also finished Soule and Camuncoli's Vader and that final issue was something special, even reread it twice yesterday. This creative team just had a good connection and I love that Camuncoli stuck around for the entire run. I know some folks won't touch the comics with a ten foot pole, but both Vader series have been fantastic.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on past trends we can likely expect Resistance to end in March, followed by the announcement of the new series at Celebration in April for a premiere in October.

The question is where it will air. Disney+? Or Disney XD?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought those story reels were called the Lost Missions, my bad. Found them on Youtube, but are they canon?

They are considered canon, and four of those episodes (the Bad Batch ones) are actually being remade as part of season 7 in February.

Interestingly, Disney also removed the Crystal Crisis on Utapau story reels from their site a couple weeks ago, which has led to rampant speculation that they might have remade those episodes too and we're actually getting 16 episodes in February and not 12, but I wouldn't put much stock in that.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
They are considered canon, and four of those episodes (the Bad Batch ones) are actually being remade as part of season 7 in February.

Interestingly, Disney also removed the Crystal Crisis on Utapau story reels from their site a couple weeks ago, which has led to rampant speculation that they might have remade those episodes too and we're actually getting 16 episodes in February and not 12, but I wouldn't put much stock in that.

Thanks for the info, had no idea they were being remade. I thought season 7 was the rest of the Clone Wars ideas they couldn't fit into comics and novels.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info, had no idea they were being remade. I thought season 7 was the rest of the Clone Wars ideas they couldn't fit into comics and novels.

Nah, unfortunately there are still a ton of episodes they intended to make that were never completed; four of them were turned into the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic and another eight were turned into the novel Dark Disciple, but the rest are lost to time.

The ones we're getting in February are:

Episodes 1-4: Finished version of the Bad Batch storyline
Episodes 5-8: Ahsoka in the Coruscant underworld and getting into trouble
Episodes 9-12: Siege of Mandalore, Ahsoka reunites with Anakin, battle with Maul, Order 66, all that crazy shit

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Based on past trends we can likely expect Resistance to end in March, followed by the announcement of the new series at Celebration in April for a premiere in October.

Only problem is, Celebration isn't until August next year. Still, I reckon we'll get an announcement before then.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, unfortunately there are still a ton of episodes they intended to make that were never completed; four of them were turned into the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir comic and another eight were turned into the novel Dark Disciple, but the rest are lost to time.

The ones we're getting in February are:

Episodes 1-4: Finished version of the Bad Batch storyline
Episodes 5-8: Ahsoka in the Coruscant underworld and getting into trouble
Episodes 9-12: Siege of Mandalore, Ahsoka reunites with Anakin, battle with Maul, Order 66, all that crazy shit

If we're getting all that in Feb, it's likely to be one story arc a week, right?

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I know I shouldn't complain when a good thing is happening, but I really wish they were doing more Clone Wars than they are. The Utapau story at least deserves to be finished too

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Nice, really want to see this story continue.

Also, Resistance... I kinda forgot that show existed, I haven't always kept up but I haven't seen anyone talk about that show and now it's already ending. Anyone ever watch it?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Something interesting I've noticed about modern Star Wars: there seems to be a wide array of opinions on which movie is best, with the exception of Solo, I'd say.

I see lots of different groups of people saying TFA is the best, TLJ is the best, Rogue One is the best and now Mando. All over my god damn twitter people are calling Mando the best modern Star Wars thing. Some saying it's "by far" the best.

Personally I don't fucking see it at all (I love me some Baby Yoda but overall I have it on par with Rogue One and Solo, both of which are a tier below TFA and TLJ), but it's an interesting phenomenon nonetheless.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Usually whichever new Star Wars movie I'm watching is my favorite

Mandalorian though I can't put on that level.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because of Joker's Tax Driver-ish inspiration, I was wondering, what movies could be used to do the same with Star Wars, be it for movies or TV shows.

Saving Private Ryan: Set during the Invasion of Normandy in World War II, the film is notable for its graphic portrayal of war and for the intensity of its opening 27 minutes, which includes a depiction of the Omaha Beach assault during the Normandy landings. The film follows United States Army Rangers Captain John H. Miller (Tom Hanks) and his squad as they search for a paratrooper, Private First Class James Francis Ryan (Matt Damon), the last surviving brother of three servicemen killed in action.
-Set soon after the Death Star is blown up, during the last big battle to end the Empire's remaining resistance.

A Fistful of Dollars (or Yojimbo): Drifter gunman Joe (Clint Eastwood) arrives in the Mexican village of San Miguel at the border of United States of America, and befriends the owner of the local bar Silvanito. Joe discovers that the town is dominated by two gangster lords: John Baxter (Wolfgang Lukschy) and the cruel Ramón Rojo (Gian Maria Volontè). When Joe kills four men of Baxter's gang, he is hired by Ramón's brother Esteban Rojo (Sieghardt Rupp) to join their gang. However, Joe decides to work for both sides, playing one side against the other.
-Pretty self explanatory. Set on Tatooine or some such.

3 days of the Condor: On a seemingly ordinary day, Joe Turner (Robert Redford), a quiet CIA codebreaker, walks into his workplace and finds that all of his coworkers have been murdered. Horrified, Joe flees the scene and tries to tell his supervisors about the tragedy. Unfortunately, he soon learns that CIA higher-ups were involved in the murders. With no one to trust, and a merciless hit man (Max von Sydow) close on his tail, Joe must somehow survive long enough to figure out why his own agency wants him dead.
-Show that the New Republic aren't all good. Joe is a codebreaker working for some CIA-equivalent formed by the New Republic to keep it safe from potential threats and empire remnants.

Across 110th Street: After a robbery in Harlem turns into a scene of mass murder, promising young black police officer William Pope (Yaphet Kotto) is assigned to the case, along with surly, prejudiced Italian-American cop Frank Mattelli (Anthony Quinn). The pair clashes during their tense investigation as they try to track down the three suspects and apprehend them. Also searching for the fugitives is ruthless mobster Nick D'Salvio (Tony Franciosa), who will stop at nothing to retrieve the stolen money.
-Frank could be a former Empire officer now working for the New Republic in some police force, since the New Republic didn't just kill everyone or throw everyone in jail, just like after the fall of the USSR people were not all locked up. William is a new officer from a Rebel background. Showing how the old guard is uneasy with the new generation replacing them, even though they have to work together. Nick the mobster would be, well, a mobster.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Because of Joker's Tax Driver-ish inspiration, I was wondering, what movies could be used to do the same with Star Wars, be it for movies or TV shows.

Saving Private Ryan: Set during the Invasion of Normandy in World War II, the film is notable for its graphic portrayal of war and for the intensity of its opening 27 minutes, which includes a depiction of the Omaha Beach assault during the Normandy landings. The film follows United States Army Rangers Captain John H. Miller (Tom Hanks) and his squad as they search for a paratrooper, Private First Class James Francis Ryan (Matt Damon), the last surviving brother of three servicemen killed in action.
-Set soon after the Death Star is blown up, during the last big battle to end the Empire's remaining resistance.

A Fistful of Dollars (or Yojimbo): Drifter gunman Joe (Clint Eastwood) arrives in the Mexican village of San Miguel at the border of United States of America, and befriends the owner of the local bar Silvanito. Joe discovers that the town is dominated by two gangster lords: John Baxter (Wolfgang Lukschy) and the cruel Ramón Rojo (Gian Maria Volontè). When Joe kills four men of Baxter's gang, he is hired by Ramón's brother Esteban Rojo (Sieghardt Rupp) to join their gang. However, Joe decides to work for both sides, playing one side against the other.
-Pretty self explanatory. Set on Tatooine or some such.

3 days of the Condor: On a seemingly ordinary day, Joe Turner (Robert Redford), a quiet CIA codebreaker, walks into his workplace and finds that all of his coworkers have been murdered. Horrified, Joe flees the scene and tries to tell his supervisors about the tragedy. Unfortunately, he soon learns that CIA higher-ups were involved in the murders. With no one to trust, and a merciless hit man (Max von Sydow) close on his tail, Joe must somehow survive long enough to figure out why his own agency wants him dead.
-Show that the New Republic aren't all good. Joe is a codebreaker working for some CIA-equivalent formed by the New Republic to keep it safe from potential threats and empire remnants.

Across 110th Street: After a robbery in Harlem turns into a scene of mass murder, promising young black police officer William Pope (Yaphet Kotto) is assigned to the case, along with surly, prejudiced Italian-American cop Frank Mattelli (Anthony Quinn). The pair clashes during their tense investigation as they try to track down the three suspects and apprehend them. Also searching for the fugitives is ruthless mobster Nick D'Salvio (Tony Franciosa), who will stop at nothing to retrieve the stolen money.
-Frank could be a former Empire officer now working for the New Republic in some police force, since the New Republic didn't just kill everyone or throw everyone in jail, just like after the fall of the USSR people were not all locked up. William is a new officer from a Rebel background. Showing how the old guard is uneasy with the new generation replacing them, even though they have to work together. Nick the mobster would be, well, a mobster.

If they wanted to, they could do anything in the Star Wars universe. Joker exists because DC clearly got desparate following the Snyder debacle and tried to really go in a different direction with their movies. Star Wars has underperformed in some ways (Solo) but overall I don't think the brand is anywhere near as damaged as DC following Justice League.

I really hope they let storytellers go in wild new directions while still operating in the Star Wars sandbox. Western stories especially can make that jump with no problem.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I've noticed people who hate Disney SW tend to have Rogue One as their favorite.
Its closest to the OT so no real surprise.

FWIW Rogue One is my favourite Disney era star wars movie and that probably is because of the above reason but I absolutely do not hate Disney era Star Wars and am genuinely thankful to both them and Lucasfilm for all this Star Wars goodness they are delivering. Long may it continue

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
From the clips we've seen, the color palette is looking so much more vibrant/dynamic/varied. Lots of green/red instead of just the light blue that dominated almost all of TFA.

Hoping for some riskier visual endeavors in TROS.

Status
Not open for further replies.