• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
Literally every TLJ hater:
-TLJ sucked and took away all the hype for EP9, no one's gonna see it.
—So you're not gonna watch it?
-I'm gonna watch it but i'm not hyped for it.

To add to this, every one of those haters after watching EP9:

- that sucked, I'm going to watch it a few more times

—why?

- for my YouTube channel and with family, Disney isn't going to get my money again!

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blargh still have to power through Thrawn 3 before I can read Myths & Fables and A Crash of Fate.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Myths & Fables is a definite holiday buy for me. Probably not going to do Crash of Fate unless it turns out to be standout in the way the Servants of the Empire books were.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
Blargh still have to power through Thrawn 3 before I can read Myths & Fables and A Crash of Fate.
I'm kind of put off by Crash of Fate by the authors interview on the Star Wars Show made it seem way more YA and... cheesier (is that the right word for it?) than Lost Stars (which is one of my favorite canon books!). Let me know how it is and if I should pick it up!

Looking forward to Vi's book though!

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not really in a rush to get to ACOF. It doesn't have a particularly interesting premise, while Lost Stars had that instantly imagination-grabbing cover. But I've given everything else a shot!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when D&D will have time to write those shows and movies for Netflix. Almost makes me think that any day now we'll hear that D&D have left the Star Wars project.

Oct 28, 2017
England
I wonder when D&D will have time to write those shows and movies for Netflix. Almost makes me think that any day now we'll hear that D&D have left the Star Wars project.

original.gif

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Just got the entire Aftermath trilogy from ALDI for ten quid, what a weird place to pick up books. Starting my Episode 9 hype train.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
I'd rather have Rian's trilogy than D&D's. Especially if Rian has a sandbox, compared to using established characters. I think the man is a great and knows the SW universe well.

Hoping for a Old Republic series from him, but will watch whatever he brings to the table.

Also, back before TLJ at Celebration, some of his B&W 35MM BTS pictures were shown. I'd love to see those released in a book.

ZZ47AAD4D5.jpg

Jun 12, 2019
I'm crossing fingers Netflix is the incentive for getting booted off SW. backlash against D&D is worse than anything leveled against Trevorrow re: that shitty movie he made, and we know how that ended.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be fine with D&D directing their own Star Wars movie but since they are writing it, it is a bit... lol.

Unless they were adapting the KOTOR games exactly instead of just focusing around the general time period.

The Netflix deal is weird timing and it does make me wonder how SW will fit in with that.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
I'm crossing fingers Netflix is the incentive for getting booted off SW. backlash against D&D is worse than anything leveled against Trevorrow re: that shitty movie he made, and we know how that ended.
Totally agree, D&D know that their options are limited. Disney and Lucasfilm obviously have no problems changing directors/writers if things aren't working out for them, they probably saw the Netflix deal as a lifeline.

Netflix will give D&D the benefit of the doubt, Disney isn't in a place where they can do that. Especially with the narrative that SW is "dying" according to a lot of outlets who refuse to acknowledge 1) GE in CA has lower attendance because it's a local park and 2) Toy sales are low because there hasn't been a new movie in over a year.

I hope that with Triple Force Friday, The Mandalorian, GE in Orlando, and Rise of Skywalker, these narratives are broken.

SW means a lot to me, I'd hate for these narratives to be taken as failure by Disney and the stockholders.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My Rankings:

TLJ – SW grown up. A nuanced, character-driven film by the most auteur director in the franchise's history.

RoTJ – Redundancy aside, this film has the greatest moments in the OT trilogy

ESB – Damn near flawless for what it is.

TFA – Both a familiar distillation of the SW mythos with plenty of new and interesting material.

Solo – Absolutely gorgeous and compelling heist film with a stellar cast and some world-building along with a pretty respectable backstory.

ANH – Seminal and easily one of the most important films ever made but also a bit plodding and uneven in places largely due to Lucas being a new filmmaker coupled with the challenges of production.

RO – A really great little slice of backstory that actually manages to augment the original film. Vader's rampage scene is one of the greatest moments of the franchise.

RoTS – For all of the leaden dialogue, there's an epic here that is visually sumptuous and manages to even have a few decent moments of characterization.

TPM – I still love this film despite the flaws but so many bad creative decisions undercut some genuinely brilliant moments. Maul is almost as awesome a villain as Vader.

AoTC – Easily the worst SW film, it still offers some good fun and some excellent action and set pieces but the dialogue and complete lack of chemistry between the leads drags this down. That said. The Obi v. Jango fight is still awesome and Anakin's murder of the Tuskin villiage and subsequent confession and breakdown still give me chills.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Solo is a weird movie because I genuinely did have a blast with it and there were aspects of it that I loved and never expected to love (the Han and Qi'ra romance, the crime syndicate, a proper examination of the lower and upper class, Woody Harrelson's character) but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth as it will always be remembered as "the Star Wars movie that bombed." Like, I feel like any time it comes up in conversation, that asterisk also comes up too. This whole narrative on the internet relies on that one movie. It sucks lol.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My Rankings:

TLJ – SW grown up. A nuanced, character-driven film by the most auteur director in the franchise's history.

RoTJ – Redundancy aside, this film has the greatest moments in the OT trilogy

ESB – Damn near flawless for what it is.

TFA – Both a familiar distillation of the SW mythos with plenty of new and interesting material.

Solo – Absolutely gorgeous and compelling heist film with a stellar cast and some world-building along with a pretty respectable backstory.

ANH – Seminal and easily one of the most important films ever made but also a bit plodding and uneven in places largely due to Lucas being a new filmmaker coupled with the challenges of production.

RO – A really great little slice of backstory that actually manages to augment the original film. Vader's rampage scene is one of the greatest moments of the franchise.

RoTS – For all of the leaden dialogue, there's an epic here that is visually sumptuous and manages to even have a few decent moments of characterization.

TPM – I still love this film despite the flaws but so many bad creative decisions undercut some genuinely brilliant moments. Maul is almost as awesome a villain as Vader.

AoTC – Easily the worst SW film, it still offers some good fun and some excellent action and set pieces but the dialogue and complete lack of chemistry between the leads drags this down. That said. The Obi v. Jango fight is still awesome and Anakin's murder of the Tuskin villiage and subsequent confession and breakdown still give me chills.
love all this thanks for the write up. agree with most of it. maybe i should watch Solo again..

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

Why a Twitter account covering the business of Formula 1 racing would claim to have info on Disney's upcoming movie slate is a bit beyond me, but hey, I'll take it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I talked a little about this in the Phasma thread but it's interesting to wonder what Rian would've done with the film if we had written it after TFA had came out rather than before.

Phasma in the eyes of JJ and Rian was not "wasted" because she wasn't supposed to be anything other than a minor character with a cool costume. Imagine watching TFA and TLJ back to back without having seen any marketing for either film, you'd come out not even thinking all that much of that character. JJ wrote her as a super minor character and Rian wrote her the same in his film. He had no idea that during TFA's marketing campaign that she'd be heavily used, which would give people expectations when going into TFA and then going with other expectations going into TLJ.

The same thing can be said for someone like Snoke who within the film is not treated as a mystery. JJ gave us a new Empire and a new Emperor and who was not really interested in really going into the weeds for why those two things exist again. TFA, much like A New Hope and Episode I, starts in the middle of a story rather than at the start. Rian doesn't treat Snoke has this big mystery because TFA didn't but the audience did. I think Rian would've gave the audience a nugget or two if he had known that so many people would've wanted to know his backstory and how he got to where he was.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The people who complain about Phasma are the same people who thought Boba Fett deserved copious screen time.

The Boba Fett worship got so bad that at one point there was actually a comic where Vader double-crosses Fett and the two battle with lightsabers, with Fett holding his own.

So lame.

Phasma was a cool-looking minor character, period.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The people who complain about Phasma are the same people who thought Boba Fett deserved copious screen time.

The Boba Fett worship got so bad that at one point there was actually a comic where Vader double-crosses Fett and the two battle with lightsabers, with Fett holding his own.

So lame.

Phasma was a cool-looking minor character, period.
You can apply this too admiral ackbar too.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
umm, they just landed a nine-figure development deal. Their options aren't limited, they literally just finished having the biggest companies in the biz bid for them! lol

You're right but they also just had one of the worst reactions to an event series, I'd argue that the reaction to GOT's ending was worse than reactions to TLJ and they signed a development deal with one of Disney's main competitors. Their options with Disney are limited, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney fires em like they did Josh Trank, Trevorrow, and Lord/Miller.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish it was 2020 and that way I'd just be a couple of weeks away from going to Celebration (and I would have seen Mando and TROS).

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Finished up Thrawn: Treason

As usual, I did the audiobook. Marc Thompson is amazing with these books, I love his voice for Thrawn. There's also a new (I think) Grand Admiral in this book, and Marc voices him like Sean Connery from Hunt for Red October, and it woks really well.

After being let down by Alliances (loved the stuff in the present, especially Thrawn constantly poking the bear in regards to making sure Vader is fully aware that he knows who he is, didn't like the flashback stuff with Anakin), this book was a step up.

What are the spoiler rules for books? Going to throw it behind a tag since it just came out.

I really hope there's more Thrawn books in the works. This one seems to have been places very shortly before the end of Rebels, so anything new would have to be following that. I would love to see a Thrawn novel set with his return to the Chiss maybe even allying himself with Ezra. This book had so much set up that I can't imagine we won't get more. Was great to see Vanto return as well.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have Rian's trilogy than D&D's. Especially if Rian has a sandbox, compared to using established characters. I think the man is a great and knows the SW universe well.

Hoping for a Old Republic series from him, but will watch whatever he brings to the table.
Rian said his trilogy is going to be all new, all original, unexplored and untouched stuff in the Star Wars universe, so no old republic, but honestly this is by far the most interesting and exciting project in development right now for me.

Also was told that Favreau and Filioni were working on a cartoon more in vein of Clone Wars, don't know how true that is or where it originated from but if it's real I'm super interested in that too.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My assumption is that Rian's trilogy is in the very earliest of pre-production given that he's got a new movie coming out this November. (Knives Out and it looks stellar)

Given how much Kennedy seems to respect his talents, I'd say the only way his trilogy doesn't happen is if he chooses to walk away.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So did anyone happen to catch a glimpse of the new Visual Dictionary for RoTS?

It's got one of the Knights of Ren on it.

Very, very cool design.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what we have to look forward to on screen during the so called break till 2022:

Fall 2019:
Resistance - Season 2
The Mandalorian - Season 1
The Rise of Skywalker

2020:
The Clone Wars - Season 7
Resistance - Season 3 (assuming)
The Mandalorian - Season 2 (assuming)

2021:
Cassian Andor - Season 1
Resistance - Season 4 (assuming)
The Mandalorian - Season 3 (assuming)

And potentially the rumored third live action show and the rumored Filoni/Favreau animated show.

So yeah...what break again?

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
So what we have to look forward to on screen during the so called break till 2022:

Fall 2019:
Resistance - Season 2
The Mandalorian - Season 1
The Rise of Skywalker

2020:
The Clone Wars - Season 7
Resistance - Season 3 (assuming)
The Mandalorian - Season 2 (assuming)

2021:
Cassian Andor - Season 1
Resistance - Season 4 (assuming)
The Mandalorian - Season 3 (assuming)

And potentially the rumored third live action show and the rumored Filoni/Favreau animated show.

So yeah...what break again?

This is going to be stellar. Not to mention the books that'll come too. I hope we get more prequel era books, as well as more books that take place after Rise of Skywalker or between TLJ and ROS.

so we might get that RIan Johnson movie in 2022 then?

Either that or D&D's. It's a trilogy that'll alternate with Avatar 2 and 3 (and 4 and 5 if 2 does well enough).

Status
Not open for further replies.