• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke's green lightsaber defeating Darth Vader isn't a good thing. Luke was using the darkside when he did that.
Luke was not using the dark side in his duel.

You're seeing it too literally.
Erm, pretty much everything the Emperor says to Luke before he decides to execute him with Force lightning?
Nah.

Because at the end of the duel Luke realised the darkness within himself (when he was looking at Vader missing hand, then looking at his own) and accepting it. Thus allowing the darkness to wash over him, and not longer having any power over him.

Making Luke incorruptible by The Senate.

That doesn't prove your point.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Can I just say how excited I am to see some of the action scenes in The Rise of Skywalker? JJ has such a talent for breathless, whirlwind action. I was rewatching TFA and that movie just sings.

MASTERPIECE. When any action scene kicks off it is just pedal-to-the-metal, fucking going for it, and I love it so much. I can't wait to see the big desert chase in TROS. Fu-Rey Road :P

Shout-outs to all the TIE pilots who never hesitate to chase the Falcon through whatever narrow bullshit it flies through.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh I love the Rathtar bit. I still think Finn trying to explain what happened with the door and Rey cutting him off with a simple "That was lucky" is the best joke in the movie :P
Yup that's a good one, I also liked Finn using Rey's head to see the ship above, in the falcon. I hope we get a lot more of these interactions in TROS.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I finally decided to get back into Tarkin yesterday, went from 65% completion to 100% in a few hours. I have to say I don't understand the praise this book gets. The plot was threadbare and just sort of... ends, because the book decides it has to at that point.

All the flashbacks to Tarkin in the Seswanna, I just didn't buy it. It doesn't gel with what I imagined the character to be. The only really interesting parts to the book were the parts with Sidious and small references to Plagueis. Tarkin and Vader bouncing off each other, with Tarkin theorising on Vader's identity was fun too.

Overall I find Luceno a really dry writer, I'm not sure how the (now-Legends) Plagueis novel garnered so much acclaim with him behind it.

In new canon, I've now read Lords of the Sith, Bloodline and Tarkin. I was thinking of doing the Aftermath trilogy next, as I believe it alludes to Sidious' dealings in the Unknown Regions, which could have relevance with TROS. What does everyone think?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched TLJ, like, 7-8 times now and Leia's message and Yoda never fail to make me tear up. Such emotionally powerful scenes that perfectly use your love this world and those characters.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched TLJ, like, 7-8 times now and Leia's message and Yoda never fail to make me tear up. Such emotionally powerful scenes that perfectly use your love this world and those characters.

agreed, my second viewing in the theater i started getting real emotional in that scene.

Then with Yoda's scene, when they started playing his theme, I was like "shit, hold strong!"

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
I finally decided to get back into Tarkin yesterday, went from 65% completion to 100% in a few hours. I have to say I don't understand the praise this book gets. The plot was threadbare and just sort of... ends, because the book decides it has to at that point.

All the flashbacks to Tarkin in the Seswanna, I just didn't buy it. It doesn't gel with what I imagined the character to be. The only really interesting parts to the book were the parts with Sidious and small references to Plagueis. Tarkin and Vader bouncing off each other, with Tarkin theorising on Vader's identity was fun too.

Overall I find Luceno a really dry writer, I'm not sure how the (now-Legends) Plagueis novel garnered so much acclaim with him behind it.

In new canon, I've now read Lords of the Sith, Bloodline and Tarkin. I was thinking of doing the Aftermath trilogy next, as I believe it alludes to Sidious' dealings in the Unknown Regions, which could have relevance with TROS. What does everyone think?

Luceno is such a hit-or-miss author for me.

I hated Tarkin, and I also hated the Plagueis novel. His Agents of Chaos duology during The New Jedi Order was completely forgettable, Cloak of Deception was a snore fest, and Millennium Falcon might actually be one of his all-time worsts.

But he wrote The Unifying Force, which I consider to be one of the finest, top-tier Star Wars books of all time. He also wrote Labyrinth of Evil, one of my favorite Clone Wars stories ever.

I think the Aftermath trilogy is a fine next stop - the books are really enjoyable. I'd also consider Bloodline and Resistance Reborn as the only other novels that you'd maybe need to read ahead of TROS. I'd actually suggest Resistance Reborn next, but it includes characters and plot points from the Aftermath trilogy and Bloodline so I wouldn't spoil yourself.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I fucking hope Mandalorian takes off his mask and it's Rian Johnson

giphy.gif

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Still have to start my rewatch. Think I'm going to start with RO, then IV and the rest. I considered prequels but it's probably best if I don't.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, is it normal for someone to casually admit to reading Sith legends?

I was at a concert about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our week went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I've been having these nightmares recently and I've been frustrated with the Jedi Order.

Then, one of my wise, older mentors said "Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a dark lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."

And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud "Dude, he could actually stop people from dying?" This was at a concert, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his co-workers.

And he then just brushed it off like it was no big deal. "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural." I simply couldn't believe how brazen that was.

I could understand opening up about this sort of stuff among friends, but at a concert? Honestly, I doubt he'd be reprimanded in any way, but good lord.

I'm not overreacting here, am I?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I was at a concert about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our week went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I've been having these nightmares recently and I've been frustrated with the Jedi Order.

Then, one of my wise, older mentors said "Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a dark lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."

And I was so flabbergasted. I literally said out loud "Dude, he could actually stop people from dying?" This was at a concert, with everyone in the room clearly hearing him, including his co-workers.

And he then just brushed it off like it was no big deal. "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural." I simply couldn't believe how brazen that was.

I could understand opening up about this sort of stuff among friends, but at a concert? Honestly, I doubt he'd be reprimanded in any way, but good lord.

You're a cop

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Knives Out was superb. Extremely entertaining and very funny. Good to see it performing above expectations. I need to go back and see it again.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

LMFAO. Nice copy pasta

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

would you download a holocron tho?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I was bummed that I missed it live but looks like Star Wars' Youtube paged uploaded the whole Q&A.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
A cool bit that I had forgotten from TLJ is how the cave scene is being narrated by Rey. It adds an extra layer of weirdness 'cus she only starts talking half way through the scene, so you realize this scene has already happened and you're also not sure who she's talking to.

Oct 28, 2017
A cool bit that I had forgotten from TLJ is how the cave scene is being narrated by Rey. It adds an extra layer of weirdness 'cus she only starts talking half way through the scene, so you realize this scene has already happened and you're also not sure who she's talking to.
I actually hate that edit. Scene begins from her subjective POV and then switches to her narrating. Pulled me out of the moment.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
yeah i love this aspect of that scene. the narration begins and im thinking oh cool internal dialogue and the shot from a distance of her still kneeling in front of the mirror, you think she is speaking out loud to herself... then it cuts to her in the hut speaking aloud still to .... and that's when your brain jumps and registers the thought "TO WHOMST??" and then "you are not alone" I love the trickery of that edit, just being able to immediately recognize, oh this is a unique thing in these movies and indicates a very significant moment.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Guy motherfuckin fieri should've been the protag of the new jedi game imo

"yea im slicing up these bucketheads with mah lightsaber n takin em to flavatown baby!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.