• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I try to be positive about Star Wars myself, as in I judge/rate them on how entertaining and fun they are above other factors, but TPM and AOTC are just plain boring, and that's one of the worst things a movie can be.

There is no doubt that a ton of work and thought went into their execution, as pointed out, but the presentation is so stilted, so dull.
I agree with you on that for those movies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE NO SPOILERS OR HINTS IF YOU'VE READ THE LEAKS

Today while listening to Binge Mode talk about Jedi, I was thinking about how my dude Palpy has been hamming it up nonstop since the 80s. I can't imagine JJ would do this but I think I would like a new take on him for this film, rather then be hammy, I think I would like it if he's shoot and directed to be terrifying. I want him to be shoot the way that people in the EU always describe him, as this pure evil presence that sucks out the air in any room that he's in.

Now that I write this out, it makes me wonder if that was the intent in Jedi. Was Palpatine seen as scary to those audiences? Do we in 2019 just see him as 100% hammy in Jedi because are sensibilities have changed?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
PLEASE NO SPOILERS OR HINTS IF YOU'VE READ THE LEAKS

Today while listening to Binge Mode talk about Jedi, I was thinking about how my dude Palpy has been hamming it up nonstop since the 80s. I can't imagine JJ would do this but I think I would like a new take on him for this film, rather then be hammy, I think I would like it if he's shoot and directed to be terrifying. I want him to be shoot the way that people in the EU always describe him, as this pure evil presence that sucks out the air in any room that he's in.

I guess I've kinda assumed he's going to be more like he was in ROTJ. His sarcastic tone and lines had the purpose of getting under Luke's skin to turn him. Then when he didn't, he had the ability to point his fingers at the other most powerful characters in the galaxy and they had no chance. It didn't even cross my mind they would play him up like the silly and over the top (yet entertaining) prequel version of Weee, I'm Evil and it's FUN, Ironic!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I've kinda assumed he's going to be more like he was in ROTJ. His sarcastic tone and lines had the purpose of getting under Luke's skin to turn him. Then when he didn't, he had the ability to point his fingers at the other most powerful characters in the galaxy and they had no chance. It didn't even cross my mind they would play him up like the silly and over the top (yet entertaining) prequel version of Weee, I'm Evil and it's FUN, Ironic!
There's definitely a huge difference between OT and PT Palpatine but even then, OT Palpy still has a lot of really hammy shit. That dude is just having a ball fucking with Luke.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatch: The Force Awakens
  • I remember in the early leaks/rumors for this movie, people thought Max von Sydow was Boba Fett lmao
  • Rey's inflating muffin food thing is the most creative worldbuilding thing in the sequel trilogy, I love it
  • "Why are you helping me?" "Because it's the right thing to do." "You need a pilot." "...I need a pilot"
  • The one thing this movie really excels at is the establishing character moments and interactions
  • THE DROID.......STOLE A FREIGHTER
  • This whole rathtar sequence needed to be cut out in favor of something quieter, like Rey/Finn/Han talking about the past
  • In a movie that isn't obsessed with secrecy, this scene of Finn almost getting killed by a rathtar would be a good place for Rey's powers to manifest themselves
  • "Hey Solo--" "Did you just call me Solo?" "Sorry, Solo: A Star Wars Story"
  • Did Abrams have ANY idea what this lightsaber vision scene was supposed to mean or was this just mystery masturbation for Johnson to deal with?
  • So many people thought this was Coruscant getting blown up
  • Punished "Venom" Threepio
  • THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS
  • The metaphor of the sun being drained to power Starkiller ("as long as there's light, we've got a chance") is pretty good even if it's a bit on the nose
  • Man this Han and Kylo scene is so good
  • The lightsaber duel is awesome too
  • I love how there's literally a comic taking place between Rey leaving D'Qar and arriving on Ahch-To
  • Luke: Aw shit, here we go again

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely a huge difference between OT and PT Palpatine but even then, OT Palpy still has a lot of really hammy shit. That dude is just having a ball fucking with Luke.
Sure, but I was thinking take ROTJ Emperor, then make him more pissed and dark due to being dead or whatever the hell he has been (haven't ready any leaks or anything like that), so even further away from the Evil and Loving It version, and more of the Evil Manipulator now with a shorter fuse, and no time for games I guess.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
I finally made my ROTS appreciation thread.

I promise not to talk about this movie for a good while, since I got it out of my system.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but I was thinking take ROTJ Emperor, then make him more pissed and dark due to being dead or whatever the hell he has been (haven't ready any leaks or anything like that), so even further away from the Evil and Loving It version, and more of the Evil Manipulator now with a shorter fuse, and no time for games I guess.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'd like. In Jedi he thought he was gonna win, so he was fucking around, this time he doesn't have the luxury. I think that should be reflected on the way he acts.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I started my Rewatch of TLJ.

God the whole opening sequence is incredible. From the music, to the giant bombers, to Poe drifting in an X-Wing.

It's just paced so well.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's exactly what I'd like. In Jedi he thought he was gonna win, so he was fucking around, this time he doesn't have the luxury. I think that should be reflected on the way he acts.

Watch, 3 minutes and 25 seconds into the movie...

giphy.gif

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
I started my Rewatch of TLJ.

God the whole opening sequence is incredible. From the music, to the giant bombers, to Poe drifting in an X-Wing.

It's just paced so well.
I rewatched it yesterday and I forgot how good it was.

Also Canto Bight is like 5 minutes long and is in no way worse than any other mediocre point in a SW movie.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Was the Fortnite clip as substantial as the chase scene they released? I haven't really searched for it and I don't play Fortnite.

Yeah, if anything it was a little longer. Though the instance I was in screwed up and only played the first half of it lol.

Rewatch: The Force Awakens
  • I remember in the early leaks/rumors for this movie, people thought Max von Sydow was Boba Fett lmao
  • Did Abrams have ANY idea what this lightsaber vision scene was supposed to mean or was this just mystery masturbation for Johnson to deal with?

There were also rumors that Von Sydow was playing a cyborg because there was concept art of an old man cyborg. Man the rumors for Episode VII were fun.

As originally scripted, the "Forceback" was a trip through how the lightsaber ended up with Maz. Parts of this version, at least, were filmed. It was likely rewritten after Harrison Ford broke his leg. The shots of the Knights of Ren were the very last things filmed during principal photography. J.J. kept changing it during editing, trying to make it "Rey's acid trip." He wanted it to be confusing and scary for her.

I finally made my ROTS appreciation thread.

I promise not to talk about this movie for a good while, since I got it out of my system.

I'm afraid of going into that thread so I'll say this here: I freakin' love ROTS. If you catch me on the right day I'll even say it's my favorite of the saga.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched it yesterday and I forgot how good it was.

Also Canto Bight is like 5 minutes long and is in no way worse than any other mediocre point in a SW movie.

I agree. I will say this though that whole sequence while mediocre, is beautifully shot.(There is a shot of them running in the beach that is jaw dropping)

also, I will always love TLJ for foreshadowing literally EVERY major plot point that you don't even notice until you watch it. Also, having Rey narrate her dark side cave memory is such a cool little twist on it.

Last edited:

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just finished my 3 day marathon with friends: 3 movies a day, chronological order (minus Solo). It was amazing and I'm exhausted. So damn hyped for Thursday night.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope TROS doesn't completely ignore the prequels. I know the movies aren't popular but I don't like peoples tendencies to pretend nothing from it ever happened when I really do think it did some interesting things they can salvage from. Clone wars being a perfect example.

I'd just like them to receive some acknowledgment like when we saw Naboo in the comics.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Target Vader #1 was really fucking good.

Once again, this artist they've now used a few times is great. He nails the new look that the Disney movies have. Every character, even ones that only have a panel, are really well designed.

6Bcj3hD.jpg
HkwXJtC.jpg

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

That line hit me right in the heart the first time I heard it... that was totally the intended meaning :)

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So for those unaware, in the shop Dok Ondar's at Galaxy's Edge, there's an Easter egg where visitors can see the Ark of the Covenant from Indiana Jones. Well it seems like it has been removed:

I don't know how accurate this is as I've never heard the term "tier 3 fan" before but apparently they are super fans according to the what Bryan said. The ironic part that these super fans don't know?

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Doing the rewatch thing and watched Star Wars on D+ on the weekend. Sure it's the special edition but the detail of 4k + OG color grading looked eye poppingly amazing. Really brings out the detail in the used universe production design of the OT.

Looks so much better than the 4k prequels, can't wait to rewatch Empire and Jedi in 4k.

Oct 27, 2017
So for those unaware, in the shop Dok Ondar's at Galaxy's Edge, there's an Easter egg where visitors can see the Ark of the Covenant from Indiana Jones. Well it seems like it has been removed:

I don't know how accurate this is as I've never heard the term "tier 3 fan" before but apparently they are super fans according to the what Bryan said. The ironic part that these super fans don't know?

Lmao typical, even if it wasn't in the show I think its pretty lame to complain about a little Easter egg like that

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
If the first line of TFA was meant to take a shot at the prequels that is ridiculously petty and self indulgent. JJ is above that.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Rewatch done with TLJ last night. It's really growing on me the more I see it. Also watched the making of doc on the br and I had no idea that one Fathier was a puppet, thought that was cgi. Also the footage of them bringing down the sea cow with a heli is hilarious.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

What are their Era usernames?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It's a spoiler minefield out there now. Even the big websites will drop them in their haste to get clicks.

May the Force be with us all.

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
It's a spoiler minefield out there now. Even the big websites will drop them in their haste to get clicks.

May the Force be with us all.
I blocked every single iteration of Star Wars possible on Twitter so I can't be spoiled. I went even as far as to block all the names that could appear in case someone is trying to be sneaky. God I wish something like this would be possible on Youtube. Taht website is pretty much a no-go area until Wednesday as these morons called "creators" simply use their video icons to spoil everything like they did with Fallen Order.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I blocked every single iteration of Star Wars possible on Twitter so I can't be spoiled. I went even as far as to block all the names that could appear in case someone is trying to be sneaky. God I wish something like this would be possible on Youtube. Taht website is pretty much a no-go area until Wednesday as these morons called "creators" simply use their video icons to spoil everything like they did with Fallen Order.

I was checking my usual sites in Feedly and saw a spoilery type headline on Kotaku or some scifi-related site. There's no escape! I remember one time I got spoiled on a movie (MCU I think) while reading the comments to a political article on the Guardian.

I just feel deflated when it happens, no need to lose my temper unless someone goes out of their way to spoil, that's just rude.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope TROS doesn't completely ignore the prequels. I know the movies aren't popular but I don't like peoples tendencies to pretend nothing from it ever happened when I really do think it did some interesting things they can salvage from. Clone wars being a perfect example.

I'd just like them to receive some acknowledgment like when we saw Naboo in the comics.

TFA and TLJ both acknowledged the prequels so I'm sure TROS will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.