• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Beautiful stuff.

I really wish we could've got Brian Blessed playing a powerful Jedi on the council, like George first planned. As much as I like Samuel L. Jackson, I really think BB could've done a stellar job as Yoda's deputy.

Damn, this guy is so logical. He at least knew that if he was going to do some weird jibberish alien language... at LEAST get the important plot across in regular, clear english. "You're losing plot" with Jar Jar, George. Dude was (and still is) probably the only person on the planet who perfectly understood every word Jar Jar said. He obviously didn't see any problem there, which is just... insane to me.

Watching that (amazing) behind the scenes documentary for TPM, it's clear that everyone is squirming in their seats watching the TPM screening, but no one was going to actually bring up some of those problems to George. It was all yes-men during that prequels-era. sad.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting quotes from a RJ interview.

To say Johnson is a controversial figure in the Star Wars community would be an understatement. There are fans who praise his bold, unexpected choices for the direction of the series. And there are those who claim he's ruined the franchise, succumbing to political correctness and killing off Luke Skywalker. They even think it's his fault that following year's Han Solo prequelunderperformed in the box office.

Knives Out sounds like a title Johnson thought up while reading his Twitter feed. He seems sanguine, though, about all the hostility. He doesn't see The Last Jedi as the most polarising SW film ever. Instead, he views it as the SW film released in the most polarised of times.

Then came The Last Jedi. Lucasfilm were so happy with Johnson's film they've hired him to helm a whole new Star Wars trilogy. He says, "The truth is they're still figuring out their schedule, their game plan, so if it's possible for me to squeeze in another film before or while working on that, I will."

Feels like RJ trilogy is really far away... i am not excited for the upcoming D&D films :(

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've talked about how RJ's trilogy and the current schedule don't make much sense, it seems like as of right now they're still planning to do his movies but have no concrete idea of where to put them. The schedule is such that if you told me RJ's trilogy was coming in 2028, I'd believe you.

I doubt we know what dates they finally decide on anytime soon.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The squad and I on our way to see the final movie in RJ's trilogy.

AyPwzGG.jpg

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Solo has them skittish about oversaturation. When the idea of "too much" Star Wars becomes a possibility, and you have multiple trilogies planned, that's a good time to slow your roll and make sure you move forward carefully and thoughtfully.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This is something I've talked about:

Instead, he views it as the SW film released in the most polarised of times.

You saw it with TFA, there were some talk about feminism, little white cuck balls and some mad people over a black Stormtrooper but it wasn't much. The biggest thing was the mary sue thing but aside from that, it could be ignored. But all of this were the beginnings of something growing in the general discourse on the internet. And then 2016 happened and the world lost their fucking minds.

Now everything is a battlefield in the culture war and The Last Jedi was smacked dab in the middle. Now Holdo couldn't just be a character, no, she was an SJW feminist who was written because she hated men. Chewie's scene were he doesn't eat the porg wasn't just a funny gag but anti-meat propaganda. Finn's story arc was now racist because people didn't like Canto Bight. Poe's arc was anti-feminist because he went against Holdo and RJ is a sexist white male. Everything was an attack on someone, somewhere.

If TLJ came out in 2015 would it still have caused an uproar? I think the movie is so bold in a lot of its storytelling that I beleive that would still have happened but would the hate surrounding it have been so politically charged? There's no way.

RJ was a man fucked over by his time.

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
There was plenty of alt-right shit with TFA. Before TFA, "Mary Sue" was a term that needed to be explained to most people.

Gamergate had already happened, and all the shit with Star Wars was just the next phase of that.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
TFA bashing is nowhere near TLJ bashing...and I hope TROS isn't like TLJ in that area too.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to talk about TROS in threads without TLJ being brought up out of nowhere to be bashed on here, that's all I ask!!!=O

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if this vitriolic cycle can repeat indefinitely, or if it can actually get to a point where your average r/salterthancrait poster realizes there's better things to do in life than get indignantly angry and harass others over a franchise that has long since moved on from them.

Like I know climate change and/or the erosion of net neutrality will eventually take care of this for, well, everyone, but folks gotta get tired of this eventually, right? Right?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They won't ever do a young Yoda series. I feel confident
I do wonder if this vitriolic cycle can repeat indefinitely, or if it can actually get to a point where your average r/salterthancrait poster realizes there's better things to do in life than get indignantly angry and harass others over a franchise that has long since moved on from them.

Like I know climate change and/or the erosion of net neutrality will eventually take care of this for, well, everyone, but folks gotta get tired of this eventually, right? Right?
It's already been two years. If they are STILL butthurt this long after it's a safe bet they aren't really the type of people who will be able to gain awareness act normal.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Two years approaching for TLJ.. goddamn.

It's scary considering the ST is almost already over.
It's weird to think about the ST almost being over, because I don't feel like I've spent nearly enough time with these characters. I love them, and I want to hang out with them longer.

I think we have to consider it like the ST being filled out over the next few years. As soon as TROS is over, we'll finally get all the books and comics filling out this era. Unless you don't read the expanded universe stuff, in which case, what's wrong with you?

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I think we have to consider it like the ST being filled out over the next few years. As soon as TROS is over, we'll finally get all the books and comics filling out this era. Unless you don't read the expanded universe stuff, in which case, what's wrong with you?
I read the comics! I know, I should read novels too, but I'll get to them eventually.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's weird to think about the ST almost being over, because I don't feel like I've spent nearly enough time with these characters. I love them, and I want to hang out with them longer.
Yep. I hope they reprise their roles one day. Daisy has stated that she wants to be done for a while though, and I don't blame her.
I've always been a movie guy. Though I will say..

Before the Awakening is just so awesome and really added some great additions to the characters, mainly Rey. I find the books often take too many weird and unnecessary creative liberties, often for the worse. But that book just really complimented TFA nicely.

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I was using Google to find a post of mine (before I realized ResetEra's own search function actually works well), and I found someone on a completely different forum (the predecessor to this place) sharing/mocking this post I had made earlier in this thread:

There are a lot of perfectly well-adjusted people who like the classic Star Wars movies, but don't like the prequel or sequel trilogies.

I want to say that upfront to be clear that I'm not throwing a blanket over every kind of person out there.

But...

There are also a lot of people out there who seriously need to go to therapy.

They're just unhappy in general, and it doesn't seem like they know why, so they just lash out at everything.

They don't realize that what's actually changed with Star Wars isn't about Star Wars, it's about how they watched the classic trilogy as carefree children, and now they're watching the sequels as adults with untreated depression.

Those are the kinds of people that go down these rabbit holes of YouTube videos explaining why every negative feeling they have is Kathleen Kennedy's fault, or the "SJWs'" fault, or women's fault.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Social media and youtube has a LOT to do with the toxicity. Poor Jake Lloyd and Ahmed Best went through hell BEFORE the social media era, I can't even fathom what it would be like if TPM was released today.

no matter what the weirdos say TLJ is a billion times better than TPM

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Do you guys think The Last Jedi tried to generate audience sympathy for Kylo Ren?

Like, do you think that was the point of the Luke episode ?
Yeah, but really only briefly. Was pretty much included for Rey's 180 to make even a lick of sense. But then by the time we get to the end of the movie it was kinda like "yeah, Luke messed up, but that doesn't justify Kylo being an evil asshole".

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, but really only briefly. Was pretty much included for Rey's 180 to make even a lick of sense. But then by the time we get to the end of the movie it was kinda like "yeah, Luke messed up, but that doesn't justify Kylo being an evil asshole".

Yea, I guess when you add up the Snoke abuse scene, the scene where he can't pull the trigger on Leia and the truth about what Luke did in the hutt... sympathy was the goal. But then, like you said, the movie reverses on that with him just basically using Rey for more power.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yea, I guess when you add up the Snoke abuse scene, the scene where he can't pull the trigger on Leia and the truth about what Luke did in the hutt... sympathy was the goal. But then, like you said, the movie reverses on that with him just basically using Rey for more power.
Don't get me wrong, I 100% believe his emotions were genuine and that he has a connection to Rey. I don't think he was really using her, just manipulating her to join him. Because he does believe in her and he thought she was meant to switch to the dark side and start new with him.

Oct 28, 2017
This post about Rey at theforce.net forums is just ridiculous lol

She's not an audience surrogate because she behaved in a way in a fictional story that I wouldn't have in real life 😂

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Johnson understood that Kylo is sympathetic and, ultimately, alone and wounded. Rey's whole arc hinges on her belief in that.

But in the end, Kylo just wants a partner in chaos - someone to burn it all down with. Then he gets rejected and feels alone again, despite Luke trying to reinforce that "no ones alone/see you around/I'll always be with you".

I hope (naively) that TROS deals with how he now feels even weaker/more alone despite now being the big boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.