• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If you are not with me, then you are my enemy.
giphy.gif

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Resistance Reborn (could not put it down).

Some things:

Now we know where they got that Blockade Runner shown in the trailer
I guess Wedge is really going to be in the movie?
I also better get Shriv (who's voice they nailed in the book) and Zay in RoS too
I did like how Rey was basically a background character. I feel like since her story arc is major, it didn't make the Resistance as a whole take a back seat.
TLJ was not the climax of Poe's arc, which I think was concluded in this book. This actually made me appreciate TLJ even more.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When you rely on Walmart as the only book seller in town and it still doesn't have Resistance Reborn in stock:
giphy.gif

Jun 12, 2019
people keep telling me they know me, no one does

giphy.gif

but i do

This is actually the only true thing in the trailer. They spent 2 movies in each other's minds, so, yep, he knows her alright unlike the rest of them. It's also hilarious that this exchange completely flies in the face of trailer's theme of freindship, well, characters posing for group pictures is more accurate for none of them does anything remotely friendship-y in any of teasers/trailers. It's all posing

LpKl5qc.png

more posing

UcSuWNt.png

even more posing

star_wars_TROS_final_trailer_14.png

someone on another forum said this looked like an outtake and I can't agree more. Bingo.

A good trailer tells a little story so scenes are edited in the way that we have set up and payoff within 2 min. This thing is just context-less images strung together that don't even support presumed selling point (friendship) given that the main character claims [her friends] don't know her and characters show no friendship (beyond endless group images where they stare into whatever) and in particular not a single interaction with 3PO whose line about friends is supposed to be the punchline.

And don't get me started on Finnhotep's hysterical REYYYYY that serves no prupose but pretend that there are stakes and that Rey the Mighty Lifter of 1000 Heavy Boulders, who defeated Kylo when she had ZERO training, and who is shown as even more powerful and trained in this very trailer (not to mention her acrobatic attack on Kylo's TIE in the teaser), could be - gasp - in grave danger of being defeated by Kylo! LfuckinOfuckinL. Finn yelling REYYYY is not a genuine concern for Boulder Lifter's safety. It's typical plot acting like there are stakes where there are none. Finn obivously cannot keep up with her acrobatics so he's stuck somewhere on DS since she summersault'd her way further where he couldn't follow. She doesn't need his help now just like she didn't need it in TFA and TLJ. She's proven far more capable than he so he should have learned by now that she doesn't need anyone. So this is not a character moment but, as I said, phony way of saying "maybe this time Rey could lose" even though they doubpled down on showing her power and prowess which automatically kills any stake and suspense about the outcome of the duel.

Trash marketing altogether.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
you are familiar that directors and DPs have to set up shots yeah? i don't understand how all that's just "posing" and fake friendship standing. like, how are friends supposed to stand together?
And don't get me started on Finnhotep's hysterical REYYYYY that serves no prupose but pretend that there are stakes and that Rey the Mighty Lifter of 1000 Heavy Boulders, who defeated Kylo when she had ZERO training, and who is shown as even more powerful and trained in this very trailer (not to mention her acrobatic attack on Kylo's TIE in the teaser), could be - gasp - in grave danger of being defeated by Kylo! LfuckinOfuckinL. Finn yelling REYYYY is not a genuine concern for Boulder Lifter's safety. It's typical plot acting like there are stakes where there are none. Finn obivously cannot keep up with her acrobatics so he's stuck somewhere on DS since she summersault'd her way further where he couldn't follow. She doesn't need his help now just like she didn't need it in TFA and TLJ. She's proven far more capable than he so he should have learned by now that she doesn't need anyone. So this is not a character moment but, as I said, phony way of saying "maybe this time Rey could lose" even though they doubpled down on showing her power and prowess which automatically kills any stakes and suspense about the outcome of the duel.
you know what nevermind what the fuck am i even reading here? Finn can't yell REY and some not so subtle Rey is a mary sue nonsense. good grief

Jun 12, 2019
You should probably read it, my opinion seems to be in the extreme minority haha

I'm with you. LS is uneven and ultimately disappointing. It starts well and then just drops as if Grey didn't know how to finish it. It's also frouth with typical YA tripe. The book works much better as a unique look into the lives of the Imperial Cadets than as a romance. In fact, romance is what breaks the camel back for it becomes seriously ridiculous the further it gets in particular main guy's sneaking out with everyone knowing where he goes and that being tolerated despite, well, situation is just embarrassing.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
lol. I'm definitely getting it, but...I'm also definitely watching Mandalorian day one. That's all I'm saying about that.

source.gif

I got anxious when Bob Iger said in an interview that we would be waiting up to a year for Disney+, so it's not as bad as things could have been. But waiting until March is way too long for The Mandy. Surely Disney understands that spoiler culture would pressure international fans into finding alternative ways of watching if they were made to wait so long?

Jun 12, 2019
you are familiar that directors and DPs have to set up shots yeah? i don't understand how all that's just "posing" and fake friendship standing. like, how are friends supposed to stand together?

you know what nevermind what the fuck am i even reading here? Finn can't yell REY and some not so subtle Rey is a mary sue nonsense. good grief

You know very well that I'm right. Posing as a group is different from actual displays of friendship and one of reasons is that TROS trailers rely too much on voiceovers (including destiny hope type of thing) and give too little dialog which actually drive the point. take a look:

5c61dc18ae691fe37fa731acda099247.jpg

giphy.gif

BWHawk.gif

Also, Finn yelling REYYYY makes no sense when a) he knows she can take care of herself so why is he acting like OMG ALL IS LOST and b) he can't help because he doesn't have ability plus is clearly stuck far from the fighters so there's no point to even have that scene.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You know very well that I'm right. Posing as a group is different from actual displays of friendship and one of reasons is that TROS trailers rely too much on voiceovers (including destiny hope type of thing) and give too little dialog which actually drive the point. take a look:

giphy.gif

BWHawk.gif

Also, Finn yelling REYYYY makes no sense when a) he knows she can take care of herself so why is he acting like OMG ALL IS LOST and b) he can't help because he doesn't have ability plus is clearly stuck far from the fighters so there's no point to even have that scene.
lmfaooo give me a break, man. how about watch the film first and determine if there's chemistry between the characters first, which by the way, they've always had since TFA. Your're just cherry picking with your examples above dude.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Man you are trying to do plot and character analysis based on a friggen trailer. *checks post history* DUUUUUDE 90% of your entire post history is in the spoiler thread, so whatever you are doing is here clearly colored by your impressions on the spoilers. Like there's no way you can pretend you are able to draw a line. For the sake of the rest of us could you dial it down or please either take it elsewhere or wait until the actual film comes out? My word.

Jun 12, 2019
lmfaooo give me a break, man. how about watch the film first and determine if there's chemistry between the characters first, which by the way, they've always had since TFA. Your're just cherry picking with your examples above dude.

this has nothing to do with chemistry but choice of scenes and how they are edited. None of them supports the theme of friendship, let alone friendship with 3PO (central quote of the trailer) while at the same time Rey herself dismises that her selfie buddies know shit about her. if that isn't mess I don't know what is.

Moreover, chemsitry and genuine friendship are too different things and these characters are barely friends on screen and even 3 teasers couldn't find friendship moments to use, so my guess is that they indeed go around as a group while emotional moments are between Rey and Kylo, Finn and Jannah and whatever other combination that actually supports character arc.

MagicHobo My comments about the trailer have nothing to do with spoilers. I'm looking at the trailer problems stictly from trailer POV. And if you really want to know, they could have easily cut a trailer that explained what the story was about without revealing anything major. Look how well TLJ trailer did in that department and I'm not even TLJ fan but trailer was ace.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
it's almost like the fact that it's Kylo who truly knows Rey is the actual selling point of the movie and not the friendship of the rest of them.

Jun 12, 2019
it's almost like the fact that it's Kylo who truly knows Rey is the actual selling point of the movie and not the friendship of the rest of them.

In that case, they should do more in trailer than just fight. Like, how many fights have there been across 3 trailers/teasers? 3 (Rey vs Kylo-in-his-TIE, Rey vs Kylo on DS, Rey vs Kylo break Vader's mask)?

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
it's a fucking trailer. they don't need to tell you the story in the trailer.

are you just mainlining youtube star wars complainers or something what are you doing?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at lack of displays of friendship.

Except when:

Finn and Poe bromance hug part 1 in TFA
Rey and Finn hug after Finn Han and Chewie find her on Starkiller
Rey cried over Finn's broken body in TFA
Finn and Poe bromance hug part 2 in TLJ
Rey and Finn hug on Crait in TLJ

Jun 12, 2019
That's in TROS trailer?

No and I don't see why some here are getting their panties in a twist over my pointing out trailer problems. They don't have to tell the whole story but they should give some context of the story and there's none. This is a trailer, not a teaser. Time for teasing is up.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018

giphy.gif

BWHawk.gif

Oh my fuckin God, okkk it's trash, move on, let other people enjoy it, just stop caring if you think it's bad. Man i can already see you and your type bitching about every single thing in the movie. God help us.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No and I don't see why some here are getting their panties in a twist over my pointing out trailer problems. They don't have to tell the whole story but they should give some context of the story and there's none. This is a trailer, not a teaser. Time for teasing is up.

HamSandwich That's in TROS trailer?
it's because your complaints are nonsensical and it feels like you are getting your own knickers in knots looking for problems in a trailer where there are none. A trailer doesn'y NEED to do any of the things you claim it should.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HamSandwich That's in TROS trailer?

It's not but why does it have to be shown in the trailer? And in the examples you posted, I don't recall Steve and Tony's exchange or Natasha and Clint's exchange being in the trailers either.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i'd sure like to engage a little more i guess but i need to peace out for the day, and probably the weekend too.

just baffled that someone can't get a sense of the story well enough from the trailer. like you don't need a fucking plot synopsis, those trailers are the worst.
you get a sense of where the main characters and themes of the movie are and that should be good enough

Jun 12, 2019
Oh my fuckin God, okkk it's trash, move on, let other people enjoy it, just stop caring if you think it's bad. Man i can already see you and your type bitching about every single thing in the movie. God help us.

No actually, if I don't like a movie or a show I move on. After GOT clusterfuck, I moved on. I'm not bitching about it anywhere. It died, RIP.

Also, don't see ST Fan Club (Gushing Only, Criticism Prohibited) in the title for this thread.

SELIG it doesn't need it but considering complaints that 3PO's line was unearned (which it was) and that marketing is bland and doesn't say what the movie is about (also true), I brought it up. It's OK to disagree, no?

Also, " you get a sense of where the main characters and themes of the movie are and that should be good enough" Where are characters in your opinion? In mine:

Rey is still fighting with Kylo. Kylo's still trying to reason with Rey but ends up fighting with her. Finn's still running after and yelling REYYYY never to catch up with her and Woo-hooing. Poe is still non-descript whatever.

HamSandwich They were (Endgame)

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's in TROS trailer?

Neither the TLJ or TFA final trailers set up story stuff anymore than TROS does.

Status
Not open for further replies.