• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying the content is really weird and random.
Getting a fuckin' egg for ship parts, killing the beast, Jawas just randomly devour it, light/jokey tone after he slaughters and throws some to his death. Weird video game feel of "please, take some of the reward", "you brought peace to my village". It's tone and feel is just all over the place. It transitions between PT type tone (which is not even necessarily a bad thing) and brutal (chopping dude in half, disintegrating Jawas/throwing them to their deaths). Randomly being able to replace all the parts on his ship with one other like 4 foot dude, despite seconds earlier commenting seconds earlier that it's a full maintenance crew job that would take days.
I'm not talking about not being able to follow the plot.
Al of this makes sense in the star wars universe. All of it serves to progress the character(s) too.

The ship repair thing is pretty low effort criticism. How do you know how long it took? It purposefully ambiguous because it doesn't really matter. If it takes 1 vs 5 days the outcome is the same. Also name an action/adventure film/series like this that doesnt have some nature of a fetch quest?

Its fine if you dont like it but I think you're getting tripped up trying to justify those opinions with some YouTube level criticism.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Al of this makes sense in the star wars universe. All of it serves to progress the character(s) too.

The ship repair thing is pretty low effort criticism. How do you know how long it took? It purposefully ambiguous because it doesn't really matter. If it takes 1 vs 5 days the outcome is the same. Also name an action/adventure film/series like this that doesnt have some nature of a fetch quest?

Its fine if you dont like it but I think you're getting tripped up trying to justify those opinions with some YouTube level criticism.
I think you need to take a breather if you think what I'm saying is "YT level criticism". I'm saying part of what I stated is breaking the immersion for me.
It shows them transition from day to night, and then day again. There is no indication that it took them days, it appears to have taken them basically a night-morning.

I'm not criticizing it just because it's a fetch quest, but because the quest itself was incredibly boring and disconnected from character development. All we get out of it is the baby Force moment, which obviously opens the door to some interesting narrative possibilities. There are a million different ways to put him out on an adventure and still have a similar moment, maybe introduce more world building, meet new characters, find some self discovery along the way. But "kill the beast and take the egg" felt incredibly lazy to me.
Like god damn dude. These are some of the lightest criticisms ever and you seem to be taking personal offense to them. I'm not "trying to justify anything", it's literally my opinion. If you've seen any of my posts you'd know I don't just blindly shit on things.

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
43mfUYlHAsGNW.gif

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I find really odd about The Mandalorian, is that the planet that we're spending the most time on appears to be another Tatooine clone? Why another desert?

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I really like Mandalorian. Really easy to follow. Great visual storytelling, especially in the second episode, great humor utilized in a good way, the Mando trying to overcome obstacles but is clearly struggling sometimes (which in a hero's journey you want), and just great shots all around. Nothing feels random, and actually, very easy to follow. It never trails in side plots and just follows one simple storyline. Every episode has one or two revelations that moves the storyline forward. It's great, and those complaining are looking at it from a reactionary perspective instead of seeing it for what it is. Has fantastic dialogue and a well-written plot.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There is nothing "reactionary" about my criticisms. I've seen the first episode three times and the 2nd two. We should be allowed to criticize the show without being labeled as "YT video" level and "reactionary". I've clearly laid out my gripes here and in the Mando OT. Please stop with this. No one here is saying it's hard to follow.

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't sure who you were referring to so hit the unignore content button and now it makes sense who's calling you reactionary for not liking something lol

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I am over the moon with both The Mandalorian and Jedi: Fallen Order. Great performances, brilliant music, it is just an awesome week as a Star Wars fan.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
There is nothing "reactionary" about my criticisms. I've seen the first episode three times and the 2nd two. We should be allowed to criticize the show without being labeled as "YT video" level and "reactionary". I've clearly laid out my gripes here and in the Mando OT. Please stop with this. No one here is saying it's hard to follow.

Was I singling you out? Did I respond to you up until this moment? This is a positive thread, let's keep it that way.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'm loving the show but light criticism like that shouldn't really be considered negative (at least not by star wars fan standards lol)

The thread is positive and will remain positive regardless of if some people just aren't feelin it unless we make it negative

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Was I singling you out? Did I respond to you up until this moment? This is a positive thread, let's keep it that way.
You responded using specific works from my criticism, including "random". I also just had a conversation with someone which involved confusing what I was saying with "I can't understand the plot".

By positive I hope you don't mean "don't criticize the show". I'm still watching and hoping that I'll eventually like it.

And I'll praise something if I like it/criticize it if I don't, it's really as simple as that. As I've always done in this thread.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mando is wonderful but I mean I wouldn't claim it's anywhere near as good as either TFA or TLJ yet.

It's really enjoyable so far though.

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fallen Order is pretty cool so far, I'm just doing the tutorial part. Hope it holds up.
Yeah, I've just travelled to my first planet and I'm having a good time. The performance issues are a bit disappointing but they're not ruining my enjoyment. It just makes you marvel all the more at the likes of Naughty Dog getting Uncharted 4 running on a base PS4 without a hitch.

I'm liking Cal more than I expected. Pretty cool seeing an older Cere after reading the Fallen Order comic too.
mfw a certain John Williams tune starts playing in Fallen Order
Well now you've got me looking forward to this.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, I've just travelled to my first planet and I'm having a good time. The performance issues are a bit disappointing but they're not ruining my enjoyment. It just makes you marvel all the more at the likes of Naughty Dog getting Uncharted 4 running on a base PS4 without a hitch.

I'm liking Cal more than I expected. Pretty cool seeing an older Cere after reading the Fallen Order comic too.

Well now you've got me looking forward to this.
Someone just said "faster, more intensity" to me lmao.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad I don't live in the Star Wars universe. I'd be like a Jedi or something and be upholding peace and justice and honor and defending the innocent and then some hot chick in black leather would show up and be like "Want to turn to the dark side and kill Jedi or abduct children or whatever" and I'd be like

IG-11.png

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Started to pick up Rebels on Disney+ where I left off after season 2. Watched the first few episodes of season 3. How big is the rebellion in this show? Cause they had the episode where they raid a salvage yard to steal a bunch of Y-Wings. But they ultimately take off with like, five ships total. And they said its for Dodonna's cell, so like are these going to be the five Y-Wings seen in ANH?

Wondering how big the rebellion actually got to. Was it like a bunch of old EU stuff which went buck wild with shit popping off all over the galaxy and what we saw in the movies was only a small slice of it? Or was the height of the rebel fleet like "aw dang, we got three whole mon cal cruisers!"

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
In Fallen Order I keep having audio sync issues in cutscenes. Lighting looks a little meh too, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as Uncharted 4.

Other than that it's been very good.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started to pick up Rebels on Disney+ where I left off after season 2. Watched the first few episodes of season 3. How big is the rebellion in this show? Cause they had the episode where they raid a salvage yard to steal a bunch of Y-Wings. But they ultimately take off with like, five ships total. And they said its for Dodonna's cell, so like are these going to be the five Y-Wings seen in ANH?

Wondering how big the rebellion actually got to. Was it like a bunch of old EU stuff which went buck wild with shit popping off all over the galaxy and what we saw in the movies was only a small slice of it? Or was the height of the rebel fleet like "aw dang, we got three whole mon cal cruisers!"

In the current canon the Rebel Alliance was very much a ragtag thing until shortly before ANH. The opening crawl of the original movie makes it clear that the Rebels have just recently "won their first victory" against the Empire, which the old EU kind of shat all over by having the fully-formed Rebel Alliance running around blowing shit up for twenty years before ANH. In the current canon they're careful to avoid having the actual official "Rebel Alliance" form until around two years before ANH and the only official Rebel-sanctioned operation victory that occurs before ANH is Scarif in Rogue One, which is the one mentioned in the crawl.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda want to do a PT-Solo-R1-OT-ST marathon. The anthology movies really don't work well in release order.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although. It's not really a spoiler knowing Mando's name. so what ? it's not like it really changes anything.

EDIT: This isn't a dig at anyone. I know it reads that way. But it's not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.