• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
She should literally just dismantle her current staff and convert it into a saberstaff. That would be perfect foreshadowing.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rae Salone is the best Star Wars character of the Disney era and deserves a TV show more than all the new movie characters

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rae Salone is the best Star Wars character of the Disney era

7bQCYa6.png

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See, if I were in Star Wars, I'd be the best new character because I'd be beautiful and terrible as the dawn, tempestuous as the sea, and stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair.

Just sayin'

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aphra is just a poor attempt at making a Star Wars Harley Quinn or Deadpool just half as funny.

Just Kidding

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've got 3 episodes left to catch up with Resistance and it's, like, is it worth it? Am I doing the right thing?

xSp23Vy.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
ofuMyUNl.jpg

Here's Poe hiding from the First Order and then in the next beat he says:
"Did you ever think about painting this in a less conspicuous color?

SAYS THE MAN TRYING TO HIDE FROM THE FIRST ORDER IN A REBEL OUTFIT

Poe's hypocrisy aside, this was a damn good episode. The best of the season but sadly there probably won't be anymore Poe until season 2.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I got the last 8 episodes on dvr still to watch. Keep meaning to catch up! So much good tv on at the mo it's a bloody nightmare trying to keep up!

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was an interesting Twitter thread about how the EU brought Star Wars away from its pulpy origins and changed fan expectation.

https://twitter.com/jere7my/status/959639420109578240

@jere7my:
It's long been my contention that the old Star Wars Expanded Universe was seen by many fans as a way to "fix" the perceived problems of the movies as they aged out of impressionable childhood and into nitpicky adolescence. Reactions to #TheLastJedi have cemented that impression. The original trilogy was "cool" a lot of the time, but it was also goofy, cutesy, jokey, silly, kiddie—a lot of things that it's hard for a 14-year-old to admit to liking. The EU leaned heavily on the cool—bounty hunters, dark side Force users, brooding—and dropped the goofy. The EU, and to some degree the prequels, affected the way hardcore Star Wars fans received the movies, allowing them to continue liking Star Wars while growing beyond the pulpy, goofy, fairy-tale parts of the movies. The EU either retconned them outright or let fans elide them.

George killed off Boba Fett, the emblem of "cool" Star Wars, with an accidental death and a burp joke. The EU resurrected him and gave him all the bad boy adventures and backstory an adolescent kid could want. (See: Phasma.) What little Force training George showed us was pretty woo-woo stuff, all about trusting your feelings and reaching out. What teenage boy wants to think about that? The EU gave them lightsaber forms, Jedi academies, plenty of formal training. (See: Rey is a Mary Sue.) George gave us Ewoks; the EU killed them off with the wreckage of the second Death Star. (See: porgs.) George gave us pulpy, overconfident bad guys with questionable tactics; the EU gave us Thrawn. (See: Hux and the First Order chase.) The movies were filled with pulp SF notions, which is to say technology that's gosh-whiz stuff that doesn't need to be poked at too hard. The EU gave us a backup hyperdrive on the Falcon to explain the trip to Bespin. (See: the "terrible" physics of bombers in space.)

Many of the complaints about #TheLastJedi appear to be coming from people who have conditioned and predicated their enjoyment of IV, V, VI with massive EU injections, as though inoculating themselves against pulp. It leaves them ill-equipped to enjoy movies in the mold of the OT. We don't get a backstory (or a name) for Palpatine in the originals (see: Snoke), but someone said today "that was a different time. Storytelling has changed." No—storytelling's the same; you've just internalized a zillion EU books and three prequels to allow yourself to like it. And of course the Luke of the EU was canonized, put on a shelf where he was never allowed to make mistakes, and we've seen how difficult it's been for some hardcore fans to accept a flawed elder Luke. Han shoves Luke into a tauntaun's guts, but milking a critter is "undignified".

The people making the new movies are studying the way George made movies, what he was trying to say, and they're being so faithful to his anti-fanservice pulp aesthetic that they're running into friction with fans of the EU, which was all fanservice and "fixing" George's ideas. (I don't want to paint with too broad a brush here. Plenty of people, including @pablohidalgo, love both the EU and the new movies. I'm talking about the fans who let the EU nudge them away from what they loved in the OT in the first place.) I love the original trilogy in large part _because_ of what some people are calling flaws—improbable pulp technology, goofy humor, a Force that resists RPG-style rules, rubber puppets. The new movies going to that well is my jam, but I kinda get why some fans have a hard time. What some call the "Leia Poppins" scene is the crystallization of my aesthetic—bizarre, beautiful, improbable, unexpected. It's perfectly pulp, perfectly Carrie, a demonstration of the power held by the daughter of Vader—but it's like nails on a chalkboard to the EU aesthetic.

I hope fans rally around #TheLastJedi, the way most of us grew to appreciate The Empire Strikes Back. Time and home video and Episode IX will help. But I suspect that a lot of folks will need to unlearn what they have learned. It's like the EU set a new set of (pretty limiting) rules about what Star Wars is, and the things that violated them in the OT were only grudgingly grandfathered in. They're acceptable as historical curiosities, but no more of that, please; we've grown up. Whereas I am all "Give me more of that goofball humor and unjustifiable spaceship design, please! Sign me up for mysticism and porgs!" And I think most audiences are on that side of the line.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
I thought this was an interesting Twitter thread about how the EU brought Star Wars away from its pulpy origins and changed fan expectation.

https://twitter.com/jere7my/status/959639420109578240

@jere7my:

I'm not 100% in agreement. The problem with TLJ was not the fact of wanting to innovate, but having done it in a ridiculous way. It was to have deconstructed the foundations that had been seated in TFA. It feels like a totally different movie, out of place. It does not connect the dots, it's as if Ryan Johnson had written and directed the entire movie without having paid the slightest attention to the previous details.

If we consider Leia floating in space as something "cool" then we lose the axis of what is right or wrong and give rise to any fact possible, ridiculous or not, by the fact of being innovative.

In my opinion, there are certain limits that must be respected within the universe of Star Wars, because the problem with the sequels is that the minimum change or a false foot alters a story that was thought, elaborated and worked (EU Books, Videogames, Movies ) for more than 40 years (Ryan Johnson, felt the right to break these foundations and do what he wanted.) He did not respect the legacy.

Yes, it is known that George Lucas never paid attention to the fans, but nevertheless the prequels joined points that were inconclusive (with the exception of the midiclorians, big mistake). Rogue One (my favorite) was perfectly carried out.

Finally, comparing Palpatine's story with Snoke's makes no sense. The development of Palpatine was developed through the prequels. Killing Snoke without any prior explanation about who he is, does not help in the story arc. It can no longer be explained (maybe on TV Series, but it does not seem to be the way that Disney is going to take). And besides, it's an important point, it's not a minor character. It is the Dark Lord who could make the empire reappear. Where did he get the strength? Who? How did it come about? Was it immediate to ROTJ? These questions have to be answered, they can not remain in the air. There is not a minimum of development.

On the other hand, I do not think either that Ryan Johnson should bear all the blame, Disney executives approved the script. It seemed like seeing Leia floating was a good idea, but adding more humor to a Han Solo movie was going to be a terrible mistake. These things are the ones I can not understand.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If we consider Leia floating in space as something "cool" then we lose the axis of what is right or wrong and give rise to any fact possible, ridiculous or not, by the fact of being innovative.

I cannot for the life of me understand what this even means.

Also Snoke will obviously get a book. That's where his backstory belongs. The ST is about Kylo, not him. The Emperor didn't have any backstory in the OT, cause that was Vader's story. We only learned about him in the prequels. You want pre-sequels now?

Squall5042

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot for the life of me understand what this even means.

Also Snoke will obviously get a book. That's where his backstory belongs. The ST is about Kylo, not him. The Emperor didn't have any backstory in the OT, cause that was Vader's story. We only learned about him in the prequels. You want pre-sequels now?

I can't follow that sentence either.

But, I'm all for anything Snoke. I'd be down for Snoke's Slippers a Star Wars Story

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wish some cruel monkey paw scenario where some " fans" will get the movie they are really asking for
DhIs781VMAAqEXh.jpg:large

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, I do not think either that Ryan Johnson should bear all the blame, Disney executives approved the script. It seemed like seeing Leia floating was a good idea, but adding more humor to a Han Solo movie was going to be a terrible mistake. These things are the ones I can not understand.

Yeah who wants humor in a Star Wars movie.

I just gotta say, thank the Whills that Star Wars isn't what you describe in your post. It would just be self-serious nonsense about trying to fill in Wookipedia articles. Great for those who read the hundreds of EU novels, boring for everyone else.

We don't need our hands held with backstory and trying to make sure things are serious and respect some sort of science (this ain't Star Trek, Star Wars is a fantasy. A fairy tale.). That isn't what Star Wars is about.

The irony is Rian Johnson didn't do something radical, he didn't go against expectations. He made Star Wars at its most pure Star Warsiness.

It is just something a lot of fans lost sight of and forgot what Star Wars truly was after getting lost in the bubble of EU tie in media for decades.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Han takes the piss out off both the new Death Star and Snoke in TFA.

TFA: THEY'VE CREATED A DEATH PLANET
Han: So it's big

TFA: SUPREME LEADER SNOKE HOLOGRAM OHHH
Han: Uh, Smoke? Do you know a Smoke? What makes him so Supreme?

Sadly the second scene got deleted.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not 100% in agreement. The problem with TLJ was not the fact of wanting to innovate, but having done it in a ridiculous way. It was to have deconstructed the foundations that had been seated in TFA. It feels like a totally different movie, out of place. It does not connect the dots, it's as if Ryan Johnson had written and directed the entire movie without having paid the slightest attention to the previous details.

In my opinion, there are certain limits that must be respected within the universe of Star Wars, because the problem with the sequels is that the minimum change or a false foot alters a story that was thought, elaborated and worked (EU Books, Videogames, Movies ) for more than 40 years (Ryan Johnson, felt the right to break these foundations and do what he wanted.) He did not respect the legacy.

Yes, it is known that George Lucas never paid attention to the fans, but nevertheless the prequels joined points that were inconclusive (with the exception of the midiclorians, big mistake). Rogue One (my favorite) was perfectly carried out.

Finally, comparing Palpatine's story with Snoke's makes no sense. The development of Palpatine was developed through the prequels. Killing Snoke without any prior explanation about who he is, does not help in the story arc. It can no longer be explained (maybe on TV Series, but it does not seem to be the way that Disney is going to take). And besides, it's an important point, it's not a minor character. It is the Dark Lord who could make the empire reappear. Where did he get the strength? Who? How did it come about? Was it immediate to ROTJ? These questions have to be answered, they can not remain in the air. There is not a minimum of development.

What the...

All you are saying is "i don't think TLJ is cool and what I consider to be true Star Wars is what I like".

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Black Series General Grievous just arrived which has put me in the mood for a prequel rewatch. Couple of days off work too and the weather is shite so probably catch up on Resistance also

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I liked a lot of EU stuff growing up too, but expecting the new movies to be beholden to 40 years of tangential material is ridiculous and extremely limiting. Rogue One is no outlier here either; iirc, there used to be a whole separate backstory about how the Death Star was built (something to do with an asteroid base in the middle of a cluster of black holes...whatever that means!) and it sure as hell wasn't the father of the woman who stole its plans for the rebels.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rey's lightsaber is gonna be blue unstable and you are all gonna like it.

also the crossguard will be de-bleed to white by either Ben himself or by Rey.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I want her saber(s) to be white like late Ahsoka. But I've already resigned myself to her's being green because JJ will want to echo Return of the Jedi and make more people yell at him that he can't make anything original.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only way I'd be cool with a green saber being in this is if she goes and gets the Luke green saber from Ach-to.
**** edit: or she could build a new saber and have it be wholly unexplained, just like Luke's green was in ROTJ ****

I think she will just puts the torn asunder blue 'anakin' saber back together and it's now blue unstable and has a janky connection in the middle.

I really don't understand the ask for a yellow saberstaff.... feels like this is a very common thing people want. Am I missing something, is this a thing from KOTOR?

PopQuiz I definitely want to see a white saber, but it shouldn't be the "Anakin/Rey" saber. If it were, that would mean at some point that saber had gone to red. The only way we are seeing a white saber is if a red saber gets purged of darkness, y'know like what's going to happen to Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.