• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still mad that Rian didn't put in the take where Luke says Rey was tempted to the darkside over some pretty eyes because it means Rian thought Adam Driver had pretty eyes.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ahsoka's head meat sacks bouncing around in glorious 4k.

uFhzEst.gif

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through Queen's Shadow and I can't quite tell if Sabe is supposed to actually be in love with Padme or not.

Also it seems like all of these YA novels - except for Ahsoka - have sex scenes (or at least implied) and the adult novels don't. Lost Stars, Rebel Rising, LPOA, etc. all had them lol

Although I think Dark Disciple had one?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Rian made us love Tallie and then he took her away like the cold son of a bitch he is. Who would do such a thing?

Oct 27, 2017
Halfway through Queen's Shadow and I can't quite tell if Sabe is supposed to actually be in love with Padme or not.

Also it seems like all of these YA novels - except for Ahsoka - have sex scenes (or at least implied) and the adult novels don't. Lost Stars, Rebel Rising, LPOA, etc. all had them lol

Although I think Dark Disciple had one?

Heir to the Jedi has an implied sex scene and I will die fighting for that to be canon because Luke deserves that win. A tragically (frustratingly) ended (fridged) win, but it's something at least.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Queen's Shadow. Overall a pretty good book, though I think the ending was somewhat underwhelming. The epilogue was interesting and clearly meant to set up a sequel about Sabe but I can't imagine Lucasfilm greenlighting that.

Guess I'll put this in spoilers to be safe.

It's more in line with LPOA than Bloodline. Despite the fact that the book entirely revolves around politics, it's not a political drama - there's not a great mystery or conspiracy to solve, nor some big heinous bill to defeat, and there's not really even a villain. It's really more of a story about Padme and Sabe finding out who they are and who they want to be once their roles in the monarchy are over.

There's almost no action in this book except for a couple pages at the end. If you like High Culture Star Wars - Coruscant, Alderaan, Naboo - you'll love this. Paragraph upon paragraph about wardrobes and customs and art. But there's no real adventure - there's not really even much of an underlying drive aside from Padme being on a committee about permacrete shipments through pirate infested regions. It's very odd, and like I said, it reminds me of LPOA in that there wasn't much "plot" there either until the last few chapters. LPOA was all about Leia finding herself and trying to prove herself, and her discovery of the Rebellion was more like an incidental element than the focus of the book. Here, Padme has to deal with figuring out how to navigate politics through stifling bureaucracy and come to terms with the conflict between her ideals and reality. This book is about relationships.

I was expecting a lot more about the Separatists. There's a little bit of that, but not much - it's mostly whispers and insinuations. Dooku hasn't emerged as the head of a movement yet. I was also expecting a romance with Rush Clovis that never materialized and I'm kind of thankful for that.

It might sound like I'm complaining but I actually really enjoyed the book. It just wasn't what I was expecting. Again, I think the ending was kind of weak - there's very little action - but resolving stuff through senatorial procedure is a pretty Padme thing to do. It's remniscent of the Padme episodes of TCW in that sense.

The real soul of the book is in its fleshing out of Padme and her handmaidens and it does an excellent job of that. I really feel like Padme finally feels like the character George wanted her to be, but who he failed to give life to. So for that, I commend E. K. Johnston. If you haven't read LPOA, I'd recommend picking up both books and reading them back to back to see the mother and daughter both encountering the same issues. In fact, there's a poignant scene where Padme is talking with Breha about children, and it's obvious that you're supposed to think about how Breha will adopt Padme's child one day.

Not the best YA Star Wars novel (still Lost Stars), but a very enjoyable read. B+.

Oct 28, 2017
England
ABC have posted a first look at the Resistance finale. Looks like finale episode will run concurrent to TFA:

Good Morning America have also posted an interview with Athena Yvette Portillo and Justin Ridge (two executive producers of the show) who offered up an interesting hint for future Easter Eggs:

Portillo and Ridge hint that -- just as a few Easter eggs from another TV series called "Star Wars: Rebels" popped up in the 2016 movie "Rogue One" -- fans just might see parts of "Resistance" cross over to future films or live action shows. "There are things that fans will be very excited about," Ridge said. "Obviously, we don't want to give away too many secrets."

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Got the 'Star Wars is Born' song stuck in my head

" I'm off of Jakku-uuuu I've got the force too, I'll never turn dark si-iiiiide "

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that's...weird. I thought he had been confirmed to be in it, but was it really just a rumor this whole time?

MSW seemed pretty certain that he was in it at least. This honestly kind of makes me think he's (THIS ISN'T A SPOILER BUT I'M PUTTING IT IN SPOILERS IN CASE THE GUESS IS CORRECT)

Plagueis or reborn Palpatine like in Dark Empire. Why else keep it so secret?

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I mean, maybe he like recorded a voice part that may or may not be used? Idk. Definitely weird.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The simple explanation is that the production is so secretive that he can't remember if he's supposed to tell people he's in the movie or not, so he's erring on the side of caution. It's happened before. I wouldn't read into it.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
The simple explanation is that the production is so secretive that he can't remember if he's supposed to tell people he's in the movie or not, so he's erring on the side of caution. It's happened before. I wouldn't read into it.
This, more or less. He wasn't in the cast announcement, so I don't think it's on him to randomly reveal he is in the movie. So by all "official" communications, he is not in the movie. He could just be playing ball, or it was just an empty rumor after all. But it's one picked up by reputable sites, and not your usual clickbait mills or reddit.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Now that's...weird. I thought he had been confirmed to be in it, but was it really just a rumor this whole time?

MSW seemed pretty certain that he was in it at least. This honestly kind of makes me think he's (THIS ISN'T A SPOILER BUT I'M PUTTING IT IN SPOILERS IN CASE THE GUESS IS CORRECT)

Plagueis or reborn Palpatine like in Dark Empire. Why else keep it so secret?
Seriously, if they really pull that off they have my respect.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matt Smith was officially cast in a Variety news piece and everything. So it's not a secret that he is in it that he would have to be hiding.

He is likely being snarky about not being in it since it's cgi or something. That or he is not sure if he is allowed to say if he is in the movie or not, not being aware it was announced already.

Last edited:

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Matt Smith was officially cast in a Variety news piece and everything. So it's not a secret that he is in it that he would have to be hiding.

He is likely being snarky about not being in it since it's cgi or something. That or he is not sure if he is allowed to say if he is in the movie or not, not being aware it was announced already.
For what it's worth, the variety article wasn't an official cast announcement. It came from "sources". Granted, that's about as official as you can get without it coming straight from starwars.com, the dude is almost certainly in (or was at one point supposed to be in) the film, but I think there is wiggle room:

Sources tell Variety that "The Crown" star Matt Smith is joining "Star Wars: Episode IX," which is currently in production in the U.K. It's unknown at this time whether the "Doctor Who" alum will be on the side of the rebels or the evil empire.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-matt-smith-1202886507/

Not saying it isn't what you suggest either. It's a very valid read and what I also assumed before I went back and checked to see where he was announced.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, the variety article wasn't an official cast announcement. It came from "sources". Granted, that's about as official as you can get without it coming straight from starwars.com, the dude is almost certainly in (or was at one point supposed to be in) the film, but I think there is wiggle room:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-matt-smith-1202886507/

Not saying it isn't what you suggest either. It's a very valid read and what I also assumed before I went back and checked to see where he was announced.

THR and Variety are basically never wrong when it comes to casting announcements, which means he's either in the movie or his part got cut (possibly the source of his confusion?).

Status
Not open for further replies.