• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Random question but do you guys think its possible for TROS to in anyway "fix" the fandom (depending on its quality)? I feel like since TLJ the Star Wars discourse has been (for me) completely toxic to the point that its almost impossible to engage with any online convos about these movies.

I would love that, but I doubt it.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just the start of things I'm doing with the Discord channel: self-assigned factions...I mean roles!

b7a788d230f45fa03c1b616dce2d2eb2.png

Just head to the roles channel and react to the faction you want and your username will change to orange for the Resistance or blue for the First Order.

Hope to figure out some more fun stuff will roles and will probably clean up some of the discussion channels to avoid having so much.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
Random question but do you guys think its possible for TROS to in anyway "fix" the fandom (depending on its quality)? I feel like since TLJ the Star Wars discourse has been (for me) completely toxic to the point that its almost impossible to engage with any online convos about these movies.

No

TROS could literally do everything the fandom wants....and they'll still be toxic

"Oh how dare you pander"

"I liked it better when I first read in the EU"

And so on

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess "fix" is maybe a bad way to phrase it but idk make the tenor of conversation more positive? I guess the pre-TLJ status quo
Hopefully...I don't want another "Let's bring up TLJ and hate on it in threads that aren't about that movie" thing that's been a common occurrence. While there is going to be some hate for TROS, I hope it's not brought up as much as TLJ, that's all I ask for.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I guess "fix" is maybe a bad way to phrase it but idk make the tenor of conversation more positive? I guess the pre-TLJ status quo
JJ likes to make crowd pleasers.

So discussion around the franchise might be more positive after the movie drops.

for a few weeks

The constant whining of people about TLJ has turned me pretty cynical.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think TROS of skywalker being perfect would fix anything. Look at the reaction to the MCU post endgame and the phase 4 annocument. I think TROS will do alot to the fans who disliked the TLJ, but for the people who hated TLJ for a particular set of reasons nothing will ever fix the franchise.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
What's always been hilarious about TLJ hate is that when me and my friends walked out of the initial midnight screening we all agreed "wow, they took out all the flaws of TFA and really reinvigorated the series! Fans are gonna love this."

How little we knew

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

The only that will unite the fandom is a movie that everyone hates.

What's always been hilarious about TLJ hate is that when me and my friends walked out of the initial midnight screening we all agreed "wow, they took out all the flaws of TFA and really reinvigorated the series! Fans are gonna love this."

How little we knew
This is sort of how I felt after every Game of Thrones episode this year lol

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Solo already united the fandom. Not because everyone hates it, but because everyone agrees that it was unnecessary.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

How little we knew
I'm not what you'd call a "Star Wars" fan. I like the series, though, but never really been a part of that fanbase. I like them, or dislike, them as movies that stand or fall on their own accord.

I will openly admit... I'm not very fond of The Last Jedi. It does a lot very well. I like the actors, I like the cinematography, I like a few key moments... but as a stand-alone film, I found it mired by some really baffling character arcs, plotholes, and confused messaging that did the cardinal movie sin of taking me out of the film many times.

I don't HATE the film, however. I don't think it's a very good film, and it's critical reception to me seems a bit... inflated, I guess? The fan's toxicity can be just as bad. I found it a C+ film in a series full of much better outings (and some much lesser ones).

Which is why I am at least curious to see how TROS will impact the fanbase moving forward. ESB was divisive at release and its reputation improved immensely in the context of a completed trilogy, but from an outside perspective I see Disney returning so quickly to Abrams for this film as almost an admission that their "let the past die" mantra of the prior film was pretty misguided. Star Wars never will let "the past die" because the main reason they come to these new movies is a deep, passionate love of the original material and a desire to have that same magical feeling watching new adventures. It's why I found TFA to be both a supremely well-made film, but also one that almost xeroxed the most beloved moments of ANH, beat for beat, because Disney knew that those moments were the moments fans remembered and loved. It had Star Wars and it leveraged that nostalgia to great success, and TLJ rolled off that pretty high honeymoon, even if TFA isn't quite as good as that initial impression felt. We were all just happy to have Star Wars back in a big way.

So will TROS "fix" things? Probably not. But I'd be thrilled if that was the case.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No chance. Half the battle with Star Wars is that a lot of its critics have made their made up before they see it.

Get ready for takes on how the prequel trilogy is better than the ST. How Disney ruined Star Wars, and of course how the franchise is dead.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

How little we knew

I went with two friends whose criticisms of the film amounted to stuff like "BB-8 saving Finn and Rose was unrealistic"

It wasn't a great time.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just the start of things I'm doing with the Discord channel: self-assigned factions...I mean roles!

b7a788d230f45fa03c1b616dce2d2eb2.png

Just head to the roles channel and react to the faction you want and your username will change to orange for the Resistance or blue for the First Order.

Hope to figure out some more fun stuff will roles and will probably clean up some of the discussion channels to avoid having so much.
A) Where you do this, just SW general chat? (Can't see role channel)
B) Need more factions. I'm a clone, can't you see lol

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Discourse was pretty fun right before and right after The Force Awakens came out.

Before the dark times.

Before the "Mary Sue" and "power level" arguments.

giphy.gif

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
and confused messaging

I see Disney returning so quickly to Abrams for this film as almost an admission that their "let the past die" mantra of the prior film was pretty misguided.

hmm.

Anyway, Disney went back to JJ because he was a proven, reliable hand who had already directed one tumultuous Star Wars production to enormous success, and as it was impossible to have Rian do VIII and IX back to back, getting the only other guy to pull off one of these movies so well from start to finish was a no-brainer. I don't think Bob Iger is directing JJ to go back to the OT well as much as possible for TROS any more than he did for TFA. Which is to say, I don't think he is at all. I think all those callbacks, rehashes, homages, whatever you want to call them are, for better or worse, entirely JJ's initiative.

Actually, more than just being a JJ thing, I think any Star Wars director working in this world of familiar characters and tasked with building sequels and prequels to other sequels and prequels is inevitably going to echo familiar touchpoints from the OT. Because they're all fans, they all grew up on those movies, and when it came time to make their own Star Wars movies how could they not reference these other films?

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
Yeah, I don't think that TROS can "unite" the fandom and discourse. I think that that has been broken since before the internet.

I'd like to be able to mention Star Wars without being told that my opinion is wrong and that SW is dead though.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, remember the documentary movie " the people against George Lucas " ?
You need to fix geek-dom and the nature of internet discourse itself to fix the fandom , a tall order for any movie , even one about spaceships and space wizards and laser swords .

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
but from an outside perspective I see Disney returning so quickly to Abrams for this film as almost an admission that their "let the past die" mantra of the prior film was pretty misguided.
JJ was hired before The Last Jedi was even released, so that theory doesn't really add up. It's no secret Kennedy was extremely happy with Rian. It's why Lucasfilm offered him his own trilogy before the film was released.
Is it a green dinosaur?
Mario broke his back.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Hey, remember the documentary movie " the people against George Lucas " ?
You need to fix geek-dom and the nature of internet discourse itself to fix the fandom , a tall order for any movie , even one about spaceships and space wizards and laser swords .
One of my film theory professors was used in that movie. I'm curious how he would feel about it all all these years later.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much JJ got for directing TROS.

I'm sure everyone involved knew that it HAD to be JJ or they were fuuuuucked. They couldn't fuck around for too long, they had to hire someone and it had to be someone they knew could deliver.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I wonder how much JJ got for directing TROS.

I'm sure everyone involved knew that it HAD to be JJ or they were fuuuuucked. They couldn't fuck around for too long, they had to hire someone and it had to be someone they knew could deliver.
With the short timeframe they had, I'm sure familiarity with the workflow/team was key.

It was that same good rapport with the SW infrastructure that basically led to Johnson being greenlit to do more.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
With the short timeframe they had, I'm sure familiarity with the workflow/team was key.

It was that same good rapport with the SW infrastructure that basically led to Johnson being greenlit to do more.
It's interesting to note that the person that is now overseeing all the Star Wars films was someone from Bad Robot. SYNERGY
but from an outside perspective I see Disney returning so quickly to Abrams for this film as almost an admission that their "let the past die" mantra of the prior film was pretty misguided. Star Wars never will let "the past die" because the main reason they come to these new movies is a deep, passionate love of the original material and a desire to have that same magical feeling watching new adventures.

TLJ was never about letting the past die, it was about learning from it to better yourself. Which is why Luke is in full Jedi mode once again at the end, he learned from his mistakes and is now trying to help whoever he can.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
TLJ was never about letting the past die, it was about learning from it to better yourself. Which is why Luke is in full Jedi mode once again at the end, he learned from his mistakes and is now trying to help whoever he can.
... and then symbolically (and literally) dies.

Just my reading of it that everything "sacred" that the characters (e.g. fans as well) clung too had to literally be burned to ashes and the old guard phased out for there to be any path forward for the new generation.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019

Just my reading of it that everything "sacred" that the characters (e.g. fans as well) clung too had to literally be burned to ashes and the old guard phased out for there to be any path forward for the new generation.

It's also about learning from the past to make a better future. Not just killing and forgetting about it. The fact that Luke is in the next movie (although as a Force Ghost) to presumably give his 3rd lesson follows that idea.

Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery, hmm… but weakness, folly, failure also. Yes: failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

In a franchise where death, if you're a Jedi, doesn't mean you're gone forever.

Right before dying Luke tells us:

eGafIyz.gif

Rian doesn't want you to let go of what you love about Star Wars, it was never about that. Even in the scene where things are "literally" burned, Yoda knew Rey had already stolen the books. Rey will get the books, learn from them, but this time she will not repeat the mistakes of the past. The same mistakes that are burdening Luke, the same mistakes Yoda gets Luke to move on from.

Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery, hmm… but weakness, folly, failure also. Yes: failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters.

Even the character who most embodies that mantra, that you have to kill the past, isn't even able to do it. He can't literally kill the past (killing Luke) and he can't figuratively do it (moving on from Luke). He can't kill the past and he's not able to learn from it. He is stuck in the same mentality that Luke was at the start of the movie, one of being crushed by the past.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also to note, JJ was hired to write and direct TROS a few months before TLJ came out so it would not have been in response to the TLJ reception.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
The only JJ issue I have so far is his decision to bring Luke's lightsaber back. Let Rey have her own.

BarryBJeans

Jul 22, 2019
The only JJ issue I have so far is his decision to bring Luke's lightsaber back. Let Rey have her own.

I'm seriously hoping that the scene from the trailer was a dream sequence (it seemed to "clean" to me) and we see her build her own lightsaber using the crystal. AFAIR, we haven't had a lightsaber building scene in the movies. The one from ROTJ was cut.

I still dream of Rey with a double sided saber, but don't think we'll get it. Kylo gets a cool saber, why not Rey?!

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The Star Wars Leaks community seems chill as fuck but it's all about leaking so I can't really browse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.