• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
TLJ has the best documentary I've seen on a home release in many years.

Edit: do we know what version of the OT is up?

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone here who's read that Rey comic preview. Do you think it suggests in any way that Leia knows who Rey is?

Speaking of quotes I found today, from Maryann Brandon, one of the editors of The Force Awakens (at about 49 minutes into the video at that link):

Maryann Brandon said:
There was an earlier idea at one point that Leia knows who [Rey] is. And we sort of took that out because it didn't make any sense.

The whole video found at that link is worth a watch. Maryann is funny and not shy about dropping cool factoids about the movie. Or lightly ragging on her friend J.J.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
What's funny is anytime I think of Snoke, it's this line - and Serkis' line read - that pops into my head

It's nearly the exact same intonation as this bit from Spaceballs:

In TLJ when (1:33:41) Rey herself starts training and hits and breaks a rock with lightsaber (Luke sneaking behind her), a track is playing, does anyone know the song's name?

It doesn't have a name, because it hasn't been officially released outside of the isolated score.

Was fairly surprised to not find it up on YouTube, so here's that short cue clipped from the track:

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Rey theme was JW digging in his Harry Potter bag.

To this day, I still have issues seeing the similarities. Like, is it because it's an overall lighter piece than your typical grand and sweeping Star Wars character theme?

Maybe it's because my standards for John Williams self-plagiarizing re: Harry Potter have already been set by this hilarious little instance:

Oh thanks mate, appreciate it.

No problem, duder

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's the bell-like sounds, although Google tells me the instrument used for that is a celesta.
Exactly what I was gunna say
Rey theme my favorite theme of the ST alongside Jedi Steps.
200.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Thought this theory that JJ had intended for Rey to be Luke's daughter to be interesting, based on an interview with the editor. If JJ changed it because of Rian and TLJ I have to say I really would have preferred if he hadn't.

Very interesting. And a lot of it fits. But the author does seem biased against Rian Johnson and seems to want to lay all those changes at his feet when we really don't know if his script was the reason for all those changes. That part is speculation but still it could be accurate

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying out Youtube TV (it's amazing) and it also means I can catch up on the second half of Resistance, which I had not been able to watch yet.
It also means I'll be able to watch Season 2 as it airs on Disney XD. I wonder how Resistance s2 is going to work with D+.

Oct 28, 2017
Thought this theory that JJ had intended for Rey to be Luke's daughter to be interesting, based on an interview with the editor. If JJ changed it because of Rian and TLJ I have to say I really would have preferred if he hadn't.

Reading these dots being connected it really does bother me that Rey isn't Luke's kid lol.

It's so obvious that that's where they were going with it.

And her being his kid plays right into her abandonment issues. And could have made for an interesting dynamic between them on the island

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rey was very obviously supposed to be Luke's daughter at some point in production on TFA. When exactly the decision was made to make her "Rey nobody," who made that decision, and whether it was the right decision will remain one of the bigger fandom arguments for decades until or unless somebody in the know finally settles it.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
It's the bell-like sounds, although Google tells me the instrument used for that is a celesta.

Huh. Okay, I guess I hear it.

Still, that's like saying going to Nascar reminds you of the podrace in TPM. Similar sounds, but generally different contexts.

Toys out in the wild.

5aVcLhK.jpg

I'm already liking Poe's new orange-white X-Wing over his previous SICK-NASTY black-orange fighter. Shame he didn't get more of an upgrade, though.

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm that jet trooper is red. Wonder if the white jet trooper seen in the first trailer is actually a red Sith trooper but made white for trailer purposes

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If it was JJ's intent to make Rey Luke's daughter then I'd love to ask him why he'd have Maz tell Rey (and the audience) that the people she was waiting for and Luke were two seperate people.

Like, I'm going to specifically say she's not Luke's daughter, not tell Rian she's Luke's daughter, and just hope he still makes her Luke's daughter? It just doesn't really makes sense.

It would not surprise me if she was his daughter before the script was finalized, though. Even RJ played with the idea while writing TLJ's script.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to ask him why he'd have Maz tell Rey (and the audience) that the people she was waiting for and Luke were two seperate people

The theory/implication was that Rey was abducted from Luke and abandoned on Jakku, explaining his devastation and decision to go into hiding. The people she's waiting for (the kidnappers) are never coming back, but someone ("Luke!") is.

The big question mark was who the abductors were. When TFA was first released, the common theory was that Kylo killed everyone at the Jedi temple but couldn't bring himself to kill young Rey, so he abandoned her on Jakku and told Snoke she was dead. About six months later, Bloodline was released and shot a hole in this theory by revealing Kylo's attack and Luke's disappearance had only happened a couple years earlier, when Rey was already a teenager.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I don;t mind Rey being a nobody but given this is a family saga/drama not to be taken seriously I would have preferred Rey to be Luke's daughter purely for more melodrama lmao.

In a way after how Kylo turns out Luke being afraid of his own child going dark and thus hiding them away/locking away the force in them even makes sense.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If it was JJ's intent to make Rey Luke's daughter then I'd love to ask him why he'd have Maz tell Rey (and the audience) that the people she was waiting for and Luke were two seperate people.

Like, I'm going to specifically say she's not Luke's daughter, not tell Rian she's Luke's daughter, and just hope he still makes her Luke's daughter? It just doesn't really makes sense.

It would not surprise me if she was his daughter before the script was finalized, though. Even RJ played with the idea while writing TLJ's script.
Maz: so what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

Oct 28, 2017
The theory/implication was that Rey was abducted from Luke and abandoned on Jakku, explaining his devastation and decision to go into hiding. The people she's waiting for (the kidnappers) are never coming back, but someone ("Luke!") is.

The big question mark was who the abductors were. When TFA was first released, the common theory was that Kylo killed everyone at the Jedi temple but couldn't bring himself to kill young Rey, so he abandoned her on Jakku and told Snoke she was dead. About six months later, Bloodline was released and shot a hole in this theory by revealing Kylo's attack and Luke's disappearance had only happened a couple years earlier, when Rey was already a teenager.

"What girl?!"

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm that jet trooper is red. Wonder if the white jet trooper seen in the first trailer is actually a red Sith trooper but made white for trailer purposes

I can't quite tell if the white and red jet troopers look the same or not (the helmet seems to be a bit different to me). If they look the same then that kind of gives us a clue as to whether the First Order is the creation of Palpatine.

Oct 28, 2017
Grows concerned about what the future and the force hold in store for her 🤔

Pls don't kill off my Rey

Saw KK refer to Dio as a "rescue" droid lol.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
OK I've got a few thoughts about some of the discussion here.

1. Maz's phrasing was not the be all end all of Rey being Luke's daughter. If Kas/JJ wanted it that way, it wouldn't have been something that could be factually deduced in such an indirect way. In short, if it were intended, you would have known about it in TFA. I mean if they really wanted to, she could pull a "that person is never coming back, but Luke Skywalker still could" (not dissimilar to Obi's explanation of Anakin/Vader), there are ways around it, and the phrasing is not black and white like people seem to think it is. SW has a history of twists and shit being an "interpretation".

2. IMO, TLJ is about as be all end all as you can get for Rey not being Luke's. Having them meet and go through all the shit they did and have Rey leave the way she did after attacking him (for not rejoining the fight).. it would feel incredibly dishonest from a writing/directing standpoint to be like "by the way, Luke knew the whole time who she is and hid it away". To me, a subjective line in TFA is whatever but Rey suddenly finding out "oh Luke was my dad and neither of us expressed any feelings/emotions of being related in any real way" would be kind of a huge disaster in accordance with the development that happened in TLJ. The only real hint we have of it in TLJ is Rey feeling Luke's passing, but again, they shared no intimate connection when they spent time together on Ahch-To.

I mean, I suppose you could go the "I've always felt it" route with Rey but.. I don't know. Luke and Leia were always connected from the time they met. When Rey meets with Luke, he's just like "who are you, fuck off". I just don't think it flows well narratively to swing it in TROS. Just in terms of "feeling" that connection, I don't think it was reciprocated by Luke at all.

3. Please tell me you didn't go full redemption for Kylo JJ

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anyone hoping that Rey is revealed to be Luke's kid in TROS, just that TFA dropped a lot of hints that she was and that would have been the time to do it. Plus, I think her being his child would have strengthened this family saga, not hurt it. It's kind of bullshit that Rey's this odd outlier character who has no background connection to the Skywalker saga. She's just a fan of the old movies, basically

She's just some random in the middle of this inter generational conflict. And its kind of silly that Rey's origins are STILL major speculative point for fans three movies in... and TLJ didn't shut the door on that. JJ has confirmed that to be the case in an interview with ABC in April.

Status
Not open for further replies.