• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
That has to be a magical feeling back then!

Everything felt amazing. I remember riding my bike over to a friends house just to listen to the soundtrack album LP for hours on end and play with the few action figures that had been released.

My dad also had a bootleg VHS of Empire only months after it came out. I was a very popular kid then.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Empire back when I lived in Mexico and was a lil' baby, so much so that I only really remember sitting in the theater and Yoda. It was mostly likely the first movie I saw in a theater. Then I saw Episode III in theaters.

All of that was before I was really a Star Wars fan, I've seen all the rest on opening night since then.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Barely remember seeing the SE in theaters as a 5-year-old. Saw TPM opening night, got out of school early for an afternoon screening of AOTC, and did a old-school 11:59pm showing for ROTS.

I recall TFA being the last time I stood in line for a premiere, but what a time it was.

Oct 28, 2017
Saw TPM opening night in senior year of high school. Had a pizza party at my house just before and like 30+ people from my graduating class showed up along with my close friends and family. Everyone in my immediate circle was hyped through the roof for that movie. It was the talk of the school. Literally a night I will never forget. I remember leaving the theater utterly defeated and disappointed. I knew I saw a really bad movie.

I remember people coming up to me at school the next day to say "Yo JB, I heard you didn't like the new Star Wars man!!" I think I went and saw it like another 7 times hoping to convince myself I liked it.... and I liked it a little bit more with more viewings but I always knew deep down the movie sucked.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently i was taken to see the OT (Pre 93) when i was little, but i barely remember it. Unfortunately.

Due to my agoraphobia (20 years long) i didn't see any of the PT in the cinema. I also missed TFA when it first released, but saw it as part of double bill for TLJ's midnight release.

Umm, i don't remember seeing RO. Because of money problems at the time.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I think The Phantom Menace was the first movie I ever saw at the theater - or at least the first I remember.

I remember falling asleep during the podracing sequence.
1534804471.1027-smiley.gif

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So Disney is going to release it on a Monday during football season but not during MNF?

surejan.gif

Maleficent comes out on the 18th. No way they're going to pass up having that play in front on opening weekend.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely trust Maison more than the other sources in this situation. Even though the SW twitter account was doing the Dog Rates meme, I still think they were teasing the date in that tweet.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Was in a club tonight and bizarrely they were showing TFA on a TV screen with no audio. Man that movie is dynamic as hell, the story starts in high gear and barely lets its foot off the pedal.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
One time I had a Return of the Jedi shirt on, went to the bathroom and say they were showing Jedi. Blessed pee.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clone Wars "Movie" was such a boneheaded idea. There was much better material in the first season they could have worked with for a Theater movie. The movie also did a ton of damage to The Clone Wars in general as people never gave the show a chance because of how stupidly kid focused the movie was.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Clone Wars "Movie" was such a boneheaded idea. There was much better material in the first season they could have worked with for a Theater movie. The movie also did a ton of damage to The Clone Wars in general as people never gave the show a chance because of how stupidly kid focused the movie was.
I don't remember the first season being much less juvenile than the movie. Ahsoka stayed annoying, and there was a lot of stuff that was worse than the movie, like Dooku Captured, Bombad Jedi, and Gungan General. Rookies was OK.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember the first season being much less juvenile than the movie. Ahsoka stayed annoying, and there was a lot of stuff that was worse than the movie, like Dooku Captured, Bombad Jedi, and Gungan General. Rookies was OK.
I feel like something along the lines of the 3 Part Ryloth arc would have been a better movie. Introduce you to some big war action, have the little twilek girl Numa. Just overall would have offered a lot more then running around with Stinky etc. but yeah Season 1 had a lot of rough spots

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Where's my marketing campaign

The marketing campaign always starts after the final trailer drops and tickets go on sale. (which reminds me... it's going to be so annoying when TROS doesn't beat Endgame's records for presales or something like that. The clickbait titles we'll have to endure. Ugh).

And when it starts, it doesn't stop. Last time we got like 5 international versions of the trailer after the final one, and then tv spots, and then it's relentless. And with the Knights of Ren finally, on screen, new ships and the Emperor coming back, the marketing for merchandise is going to be even crazier.

Oh, and btw, y'all saw this epic Freddie Prinze Jr. rant from today? It's incredible:

Why am I getting emotional at a bunch of fans losing their minds at a title reveal

I literally watch that video sometimes to cheer me up from time to time...

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and btw, y'all saw this epic Freddie Prinze Jr. rant from today? It's incredible:

Ugh, the attitude here is kind of off putting to me. I really don't like when people say the prequels were for kids in the same way the OT were and imply that the issue was that people were just too grown up to enjoy them.

And for his point that there's no "levelling up" in the Star Wars universe and it's just a video game thing...Anakin literally says "my powers have doubled since the last time we met."

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Take it with however many grains of salt you want, but here's some Redditor comments regarding the trailer being October 21.

Edit: warning that the Reddit link is StarWarsLeaks, so beware of spoilers clicking although they're unlikely.

Seriously doubting this one. My friend, who has never failed me in the past, works as a projectionist and received the trailer (locked) just today. They also got an e-mail from Disney like 3 weeks ago telling them to put it in front of Maleficent 2, which opens next week.

I can maybe kind of confirm this.

I work in a cinema and my best mate is one of the managers, so he'll often keep me updated with things that are sent through to us, we received embargoed content earlier today - we get given no name, length, or even production company but if you look at what films it unlocks alongside you can usually figure out what the trailer is - and this trailer happens to unlock on the 18th, the same day as Maleficent 2, so it's likely either gonna be the Frozen 2 trailer or Star Wars.

However, we have Zombieland Too out on the same day so it could be possible that it's a teaser trailer for Morbius or Bond instead.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh, the attitude here is kind of off putting to me. I really don't like when people say the prequels were for kids in the same way the OT were and imply that the issue was that people were just too grown up to enjoy them.

And for his point that there's no "levelling up" in the Star Wars universe and it's just a video game thing...Anakin literally says "my powers have doubled since the last time we met."

Yeah, and Anakin was still defeated by Obi Wan in the end. And Anakin says that whilst falling deeper into the dark side. The whole point of Anakin being so sure of his training is to show that it lead him to the dark side. The problem with the prequels is precisely that Lucas fumbled an effective way to show his true message "these Jedi obsessed with forms and politics made a big mistake". It's a lot clearer in The Clone Wars. And it doesn't mean training doesn't matter in any way, but it's unimportant to the will of the Force in the end.

And Freddie isn't talking about the saga being for kids per se, he's talking about how the franchise has to keep evolving with current kids and adult fans can't expect the franchise to just stagnate along with them.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and Anakin was still defeated by Obi Wan in the end. And Anakin says that whilst falling deeper into the dark side. The whole point of Anakin being so sure of his training is to show that it lead him to the dark side. The problem with the prequels is precisely that Lucas fumbled an effective way to show his true message "these Jedi obsessed with forms and politics made a big mistake". It's a lot clearer in The Clone Wars. And it doesn't mean training doesn't matter in any way, but it's unimportant to the will of the Force in the end.

And Freddie isn't talking about the saga being for kids per se, he's talking about how the franchise has to keep evolving with current kids and adult fans can't expect the franchise to just stagnate along with them.
I definitely agree that the message of the Jedi's downfall was fumbled. But he's just wrong when he says power level or skill doesn't matter to winning a fight. He says that Obi-Wan teaches Luke how to be the best Jedi in the world in no time flat, no he obviously does not. There's a three year gap before Luke receives any proper training, and even after Vader absolutely schools him. Because he rushes into a fight with Vader, rather than listening to Yoda who tells him "you must complete the training." It's pretty clear that Luke has "leveled up" and become more powerful and skilled by ROTJ.

Freddie says, "Luke's skill doesn't dictate whether he wins or loses. The Emperor doesn't dictate whether he wins or loses. The Force dictates who wins or loses based on balance." He's not right. For George Lucas, as video gamey as it may sound, it is very much about power levels. As he wrote it,Power comes from the midichlorian count. There's a quote somewhere where Lucas compares power levels, saying if Anakin is a 10 then the Emperor is an 8 or something. He said "one would have to be either Windu or Yoda to compete with Palpatine", that Anakin is "maybe 20% less powerful than the Emperor" after his injuries. If Luke should be as powerful Anakin at his full potential then it's pretty obvious that his lack of skill definitely factored into his defeat in Empire.

He's talking about balance of the Force being something literal - Luke and Leia balancing out the Emperor and Anakin - when that's not how Lucas has explained it himself. GL has said "Which brings us up to the films 4, 5, and 6, in which Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe..." The dark side is a corruption of the Force, like a cancer, that unbalances it. He didn't mean for the Force to keep rebalancing itself by having an equal number of light and dark side users or whatever. That may not be the way it is in the sequel trilogy, but that was Lucas's intention.

It just annoys me seeing this guy act like a total know it all angrily shouting his views as gospel when they're really off base.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
The marketing campaign always starts after the final trailer drops and tickets go on sale. (which reminds me... it's going to be so annoying when TROS doesn't beat Endgame's records for presales or something like that. The clickbait titles we'll have to endure. Ugh).

And when it starts, it doesn't stop. Last time we got like 5 international versions of the trailer after the final one, and then tv spots, and then it's relentless. And with the Knights of Ren finally, on screen, new ships and the Emperor coming back, the marketing for merchandise is going to be even crazier.

I literally watch that video sometimes to cheer me up from time to time...

The D23 trailer reactions are pretty great too. Always cheer me up too.

As for FPJ, I dont like his attitude here, nor do I agree with the basic argumentation he uses. The "people think this way because of the games" or "I know Dave who knows GL, so I know better than any fan" is really strawmaning the argument. The double-speak especially with the movies is also very curious, due to "it's just a kids movie" out of of side and then go into a "you have to understand how cinema/storytelling/philosophy works to truly understand and appreciate/like the movie."

Here's my thoughts on Star Wars. It's an all-ages movie series enjoyable for anyone. To try and demean SW by saying it's only enjoyable and for kids of the era its produced in is sketchy at best. I don't agree with his viewpoint or opinion at all. It's a lazy argument.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I definitely agree that the message of the Jedi's downfall was fumbled. But he's just wrong when he says power level or skill doesn't matter to winning a fight. He says that Obi-Wan teaches Luke how to be the best Jedi in the world in no time flat, no he obviously does not. There's a three year gap before Luke receives any proper training, and even after Vader absolutely schools him. Because he rushes into a fight with Vader, rather than listening to Yoda who tells him "you must complete the training." It's pretty clear that Luke has "leveled up" and become more powerful and skilled by ROTJ.

Freddie says, "Luke's skill doesn't dictate whether he wins or loses. The Emperor doesn't dictate whether he wins or loses. The Force dictates who wins or loses based on balance." He's not right. For George Lucas, as video gamey as it may sound, it is very much about power levels. As he wrote it,Power comes from the midichlorian count. There's a quote somewhere where Lucas compares power levels, saying if Anakin is a 10 then the Emperor is an 8 or something. He said "one would have to be either Windu or Yoda to compete with Palpatine", that Anakin is "maybe 20% less powerful than the Emperor" after his injuries. If Luke should be as powerful Anakin at his full potential then it's pretty obvious that his lack of skill definitely factored into his defeat in Empire.

He's talking about balance of the Force being something literal - Luke and Leia balancing out the Emperor and Anakin - when that's not how Lucas has explained it himself. GL has said "Which brings us up to the films 4, 5, and 6, in which Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe..." The dark side is a corruption of the Force, like a cancer, that unbalances it. He didn't mean for the Force to keep rebalancing itself by having an equal number of light and dark side users or whatever. That may not be the way it is in the sequel trilogy, but that was Lucas's intention.

It just annoys me seeing this guy act like a total know it all angrily shouting his views as gospel when they're really off base.

I 100% agree with everything you said.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
So we went from an official announcement from Lucasfilm about Rian working on a trilogy... to comments from him saying "I'm still working on it" and now to "well, it would be nice if it happened"

What a journey.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
So we went from an official announcement from Lucasfilm about Rian working on a trilogy... to comments from him saying "I'm still working on it" and now to "well, it would be nice if it happened"

What a journey.
I remember KK and RJ being so excited about this new trilogy. It must suck for Rian seeing the Feige and D&D movies getting prioritized before his own trilogy.

Oh well...LF loss.

edit: also relevant.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember KK and RJ being so excited about this new trilogy. It must suck for Rian seeing the Feige and D&D movies getting prioritized before his own trilogy.

Oh well...LF loss.

edit: also relevant.

I found it crazy that they officially announced that that Feige rumor was true.

It ain't looking good when the thing announced 2 years ago is in the "if it happens" lane when they're also announcing a new Feige produced project.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I found it crazy that they officially announced that that Feige rumor was true.

It ain't looking good when the thing announced 2 years ago is in the "if it happens" lane when they're also announcing a new Feige produced project.
Their director/ producer line up for the future screams "lets play it safe".

Makes me less excited about the future imo.

edit: but maybe I should not be looking for creative risks in a major blockbuster franchise lols.

Status
Not open for further replies.