• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

😭

"Thrilled if it happens"

200.gif

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

😭

"Thrilled if it happens"

Yep, that's his films done for. No way they're happening now. What a piss poor decision by Lucasfilm. I would hate the reason to be because of the backlash to TLJ, but I'm afraid that's probably likely. The Feige movie may have replaced Rian's. It sucks. People at Lucasfilm need to grow a pair of balls and stick to their guns.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Not good. The production schedule should be set in stone at this point.

The earliest we'd see it is 2023, four years from now. Four years before The Force Awakens came out, Lucasfilm was still a year away from being sold and George wasn't sure he wanted to be involved in any more Star Wars movies. Four years before Rogue One came out, it didn't exist in any form. Episode IX, despite having a release year set in stone, had it's production schedule constantly changing up until last year. Rian was hired in the spring of 2014 for Episode VIII when it had a May 2017 release date.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Whenever someone mentions that the ST was 'made up as they went along' point them to this tweet.

Also, check out this tweet from the same guy

I remember Rian making these exact comments before TLJ came out. And I believe that these remarks are the main reason for the 'made it up as they went' narrative appearing after TLJ. I believe they were made by Lucasfilm and Rian to try and illustrate how different this movie was from TFA, but in hindsight, they were a big mistake as they just caused misinform to spread about how the movies were actually made.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I've been on the "will RJ make another Star Wars" merry-go-round enough times that I'm pretty unphased by this latest quote, honestly

If it happens, it happens 🤷‍♂️

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The course correction after solo has been insane.

insane. 🤷‍♂️

Much as I loved Solo that course correction was probably necessary so that they didn't dilute the franchise to a point where SW becomes a shoulder shrug type of release. I like the notion of making theatrical SW films 'events' and I think using Disney+ as a platform to do the spin-offs like The Mandalorian and the Obi Wan show is a fantastic alternative given the money and talent they are throwing at these ventures. (The Mandalorian looks like a straight up AAA film release)

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Much as I loved Solo that course correction was probably necessary so that they didn't dilute the franchise to a point where SW becomes a shoulder shrug type of release. I like the notion of making theatrical SW films 'events' and I think using Disney+ as a platform to do the spin-offs like The Mandalorian and the Obi Wan show is a fantastic alternative given the money and talent they are throwing at these ventures. (The Mandalorian looks like a straight up AAA film release)
Yeahhhh... youre right.

I just wish they did not have to sacrifice the RJ trilogy.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they're delaying the trailer to accommodate employees affected by the PG&E blackouts. LFL itself isn't within the outage zones, but I can imagine it'd be hellish for folks who are to then have to deal with a massive marketing rollout in the form of a trailer + poster + ticket sales, etc.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Rogue One was based on an episode concept from the canceled Star Wars Underworld TV show

Rogue One was based on an idea that John Knoll pitched to Kathleen Kennedy. Saw was going to be in Underworld, which was why he was introduced into TCW in the first place, and they needed a "bad guy Rebel" in the story so they slotted him in.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm surprised. Up until this point RJ has explicitly stated that he's working on films. Maybe he can officially clarify this.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You guys must have better info than I do, because Google tells me they have three Star Wars films slated for 2022, 24, and 26. So where does four/five years come from? 2023?
2022 is confirmed to be a D&D movie. Presumably all three of those dates could be D&D films, but not necessarily. So going by Disney's announced schedule, the shift away from annual Star Wars releases, and assuming that not all of those dates need to be a D&D movie, then the earliest spot for Rian's next Star Wars (or the Feige Star Wars for that matter) would be 2024 -- five years from now.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing. SHit like this happens yall. We have the D&D movies, had the RJ movies and now the Kevin movie. None of which are in any advanced production. Like someone said. The earliest we'd see any of this is like 2023.

It's clear they went back to the drawing board after Solo and realized they don't need a movie out every damn year. SW will be fine and I'm actually so glad they are going all in with Disney+. Telling spin off stories that can span multiple seasons I think is the next big thing for this franchise.

Jun 12, 2019
Agreed that Rian trilogy isn't happening and most likely D&D one either. Now that they have Kevin, they don't need others and very likely Kevin's ideas are different from Rian and/or D&D. It's no secret that Iger wanted SW to be expansive universe like Marvel but they botched it with disconnected spin-offs. I think that Rian trilogy (and maybe D&D too fingers crossed I can't stand D&D) were done when Kevin agreed to work on SW. I'm sure that LFL honestly wanted to make those other movies but weighted their options and decided they wanted a sure thing rather than potential risk. At least shortly after the end of the Saga.

I also don't believe for a second that they would be Ok with SW every 3 years or so. That's why they went to Kevin, to make more than 1 SW per year possible. Solo didn't bomb due to fatigue but because nobody cared. When people care, same brand movies released a month apart won't hurt either (see BP/IW and CM/EG combos).

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's been pretty obvious they have had beats they have needed to meet for the whole trilogy. The details in between are up to the creative team's discretion.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I low-key want to see the Lord and Miller cut of Solo so bad. Whether it is good or terrible...

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeahhhh... youre right.

I just wish they did not have to sacrifice the RJ trilogy.

I honestly don't think they've killed it yet. I think it's just in the far-flung future and is still a nebulous concept and proposition.

Kennedy seems to really like Rian so unless she ends up leaving as head of Lucasfilm, I think there's still a good chance we'll see it come to fruition.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that Rian trilogy isn't happening and most likely D&D one either. Now that they have Kevin, they don't need others and very likely Kevin's ideas are different from Rian and/or D&D. It's no secret that Iger wanted SW to be expansive universe like Marvel but they botched it with disconnected spin-offs. I think that Rian trilogy (and maybe D&D too fingers crossed I can't stand D&D) were done when Kevin agreed to work on SW. I'm sure that LFL honestly wanted to make those other movies but weighted their options and decided they wanted a sure thing rather than potential risk. At least shortly after the end of the Saga.

I also don't believe for a second that they would be Ok with SW every 3 years or so. That's why they went to Kevin, to make more than 1 SW per year possible. Solo didn't bomb due to fatigue but because nobody cared. When people care, same brand movies released a month apart won't hurt either (see BP/IW and CM/EG combos).
In the MSW pod that talked about Feige taking over Ward also said Lucasfilm is really happy with the development of the D&D films and they moving forward for the 2022 release full steam ahead though. So the Feige thing is not instead of the D&D films.

Ward made that very clear. He said D&Ds film is coming for sure still for 2022 given the development but any sequels depend on how it does. That the Feige stuff isn't affecting that.

I mean he took the time to make sure to make it clear that the Feige stuff is absolutely not affecting the D&D first film that it's still going full steam ahead lol.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised. Up until this point RJ has explicitly stated that he's working on films. Maybe he can officially clarify this.
I first heard him move away from this in an interview a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's over, which is a real shame. I can't imagine it was his decision. I think Lucasfilm lost some courage.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I first heard him move away from this in an interview a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's over, which is a real shame. I can't imagine it was his decision. I think Lucasfilm lost some courage.
I'm not committing to any take until we have confirmation.

If it's cancelled or shelved, it's up to Lucasfilm to inform the public.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Rian's trilogy isn't moving forward...because Kennedy is actually leaving Lucasfilm and tapping Rian as her replacement.

Now all the movies are Rian's

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that after Solo Disney got mega cold feet with Star Wars. Rian is someone who won't put out a simple crowd pleaser, which is what they'll want from now on. TLJ was a movie that took a lot of risks, some which didn't pay off for some people. They don't want that right now, now it's all safe all the time.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before but you'll have an easier time with the ebb and flow of the movie nonsense if you expand your interest to the wider Star Wars stuff that's out there, which is hopefully what Lucasfilm is working on. Obviously we're in a bit of a rough place with video games at the moment (nothing like the golden era of the 90s/2000s) and the novels are hit or miss, but comics and TV shows have been good and hopefully after TROS, the story group lessens the restrictions on what stories can be told and we get a wider variety of content from across Star Wars. And also maybe take the fucking license from EA and give it to multiple game studios.

In other words: if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the movies. Use my knowledge, I beg you.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've done just fine sticking to the movies. There is no "nonsense" in the films themselves (even if Solo was a disappointment); that comes from online discussion.

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is off-topic and probably not everyone in here will agree with me but a lot of people have really shown their asses in these various Joker threads .

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've done just fine sticking to the movies. There is no "nonsense" in the films themselves (even if Solo was a disappointment); that comes from online discussion.

I meant "nonsense" in the sense that there's constant back and forth about which movies are getting made, when they're coming out, who's making them, and what's happening in them. It's such an exhausting discourse but we don't have to be slaves to it. If they stopped making Star Wars movies tomorrow (like they did from 1983-1999, and from 2005-2015) we'd still have plenty of great stuff out there.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I meant "nonsense" in the sense that there's constant back and forth about which movies are getting made, when they're coming out, who's making them, and what's happening in them. It's such an exhausting discourse but we don't have to be slaves to it. If they stopped making Star Wars movies tomorrow (like they did from 1983-1999, and from 2005-2015) we'd still have plenty of great stuff out there.
Meh, I'm not sitting here pining over which movies are going to be made or which are not. I take the news as it comes, not losing any sleep over whether RJ gets his trilogy.

I'm just glad we've had good new SW movies and am super pumped to see how they close them off. I've tried other mediums and 95% of the time end up being thoroughly unimpressed with the content, Lost Stars being the worst offender.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've said this before but you'll have an easier time with the ebb and flow of the movie nonsense if you expand your interest to the wider Star Wars stuff that's out there, which is hopefully what Lucasfilm is working on. Obviously we're in a bit of a rough place with video games at the moment (nothing like the golden era of the 90s/2000s)
It's obviously not as great as the early 2000s but Star Wars gaming is easily at its best since 2006 I'd say. Battlefront II is really good now and I'm hyped for Fallen Order, it could easily be a great game.

Jun 12, 2019
In the MSW pod that talked about Feige taking over Ward also said Lucasfilm is really happy with the development of the D&D films and they moving forward for the 2022 release full steam ahead though. So the Feige thing is not instead of the D&D films.

Ward made that very clear. He said D&Ds film is coming for sure still for 2022 given the development but any sequels depend on how it does. That the Feige stuff isn't affecting that.

I mean he took the time to make sure to make it clear that the Feige stuff is absolutely not affecting the D&D first film that it's still going full steam ahead lol.

Thanks. Well, I'll pass on D&D movie.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
TrailerWatch 2019 Day 4

The people are so starved for the trailer that some have resorted to inventing ridiculous theories based on nothing more than a dashed off answer to a red carpet question. We need the trailer soon. May the gods of synergistic corporate marketing hear our prayers.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't listen to the MSW pods so I don't know how they're characterizing it, but doesn't seem like really early days for something like "Lucasfilm is very happy with the development of the D&D Star Wars"? There's no director attached, they can't have written much yet given D&D would've been spending most of their time on GoT up until just a couple months ago. How far along could it be?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
TrailerWatch 2019 Day 4

The people are so starved for the trailer that some have resorted to inventing ridiculous theories based on nothing more than a dashed off answer to a red carpet question. We need the trailer soon. May the gods of synergistic corporate marketing hear our prayers.
Hope they attach a teaser trailer for the RJ trilogy at the end.

🥴

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
TrailerWatch 2019 Day 4

And calling for Kathleen Kennedy's resignation or removal

Status
Not open for further replies.