• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Now I'm internally debating whether to buy fallen order..

giphy.gif

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Just wait for the reviews; don't be like us dopes who pre-ordered because OMG STAR WARS!!1!1!

but seriously, oh my god, star wars

I have complete faith in Respawn and Stig. Hes one of my favorite game directors and they really took their time making this game. Plus, I want to see the BTS and so theres no way I couldn't pre-order this. Plus art book.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, if Fallen Order manages the feat of not being a crash-prone mess on PC, I think that alone will have vindicated my pre-order.

PlasticBaggyAmericanredsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished rewatching TLJ. I think this is actually the first time I've seen it since theaters, so nearly two years now! Some random thoughts:
  • This is a meaty movie! There is a lot of story here. But it doesn't feel unwieldy or cluttered.
  • All of the Luke/Rey/Kylo/Snoke stuff is just absolute gold. The throne room scenes are really almost as good as the ones in ROTJ. Luke vs. Kylo. Snoke taunting Rey. The build-up to Kylo killing Snoke, then his and Rey's silent mutual "let's do this" and then the Preatorian Guard fights. Just fucking killer. I'll never forget the feeling seeing that in theaters. When Kylo pulls Rey's lightsaber toward him from Snoke's body, Rey rises to grab it, and the two face each other, there was this vibe from everyone in that theater just going... Fucking yes, let's do this.
  • The dialogue in this movie is really good. The Luke/Yoda exchange is a particular highlight. But even in general, it just feels sharper.
  • Canto Bight is fine! I will never understand why people hate this sequence like poison.
  • I think Oscar Isaac is underrated in this movie.
  • And Andy Serkis is really underrated.
  • The movie is pretty funny, and not in the obvious ways like Poe's prank call at the beginning. Hux's "Do you think you got him?" after Kylo's barrage of laser fire on Luke cracked me up.
  • The Finn/Rose romance is a lot more one-sided than I remembered it. Finn has almost no reaction other than surprise to Rose kissing him. Whereas he and Rey are pretty visibly delighted to see each other again. If TROS backs away from making Finn and Rose a thing, and back toward Finn and Rey, I don't think it would be much of a retcon.
  • Possibly the best looking Star Wars movie? Rogue One is quite good in this department too. But man, the Falcon flying through those red crystal caverns. Luke facing down the First Order. Rey and Luke scaling Acho-To back and forth. The throne room. The lightspeed kamikaze! Fantastic.
  • The reveal of Luke floating on the island. Damn.
  • The very last scene is almost too good and poignant to use on something that isn't the final chapter in the series.
I've seen TFA maybe half a dozen times and this is my third watch of TLJ. I think it's the first time I've decided I like TLJ more than TFA. You really come away thinking Rian laid it all out on the table, and put everything he had into making the best and fullest Star Wars he could.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Rewatched The Force Awakens in my run through the 8 movies.

My question has been, what is the cinematic inspiration for the Sequel Trilogy so far? The OT famously has its roots in Jidai Geki, Westerns, and WWII movies, while the PT really seems to be invoking Shakespeare/Swords and Sandals type of media, but what is the ST? The more deliberately paced action of The Last Jedi sort of invokes Star Trek to me, while a lot of the Jedi/Dark Jedi stuff (have we ever established if the Knights of Ren are Sith or Sith-adjacent? I guess the new series is going to get into it) feels like it's invoking Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings (or maybe that's because I feel like Driver's Kylo Ren is deliberately invoking Rickman's Snape).

What do y'all think?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
77 pages into Resistance Reborn.

Look, I like seeing the POV of some mid level First Order goon but not in this book, not in the book that could be about Finn, Rey and Rose. I really hope that going forward we get more Rey and less Snap and FO guy. Sorry Snap but I didn't buy this book for you.

[edit]

It's like when I played Halo 5 thinking I was gonna play Master Chief alongside Team Blue and then I spent 90% of the time playing as Luke Cage.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking EA, man.

We could've had multiple Star Wars games this gen if not for them.
I was more annoyed with LucasArts for wasting the whole time period from 2006-2014 aside from the mediocre Force Unleashed and the just bad TFU II, and definitely more annoyed with BioWare for wasting time making an MMO instead of giving fans the KOTOR III they really wanted.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Look, I like seeing the POV of some mid level First Order goon but not in this book, not in the book that could be about Finn, Rey and Rose. I really hope that going forward we get more Rey and less Snap and FO guy. Sorry Snap but I didn't buy this book for you.

[edit]

It's like when I played Halo 5 thinking I was gonna play Master Chief alongside Team Blue and then I spent 90% of the time playing as Luke Cage.

Enjoy it, Amazon have delayed my preorder until end of Nov - 12th Dec...

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

[edit]

Thought that same thing until... well, just wait for the payoff of that story. It gets really good.

Haven't finished it yet, but it's definetly one of my favorites of the new canon so far. There's just so much world building and the pace is really good. And it rewards anyone who has followed all the new cannon, from the video games to Resistance.

Rey does get thrown to the back, but it's understandable since her character development needs to be saved for the movies. Although we get exciting glimpses of her relationship with Leia and her training.

But Poe and Finn get some awesome moments. There's this whole sequence that's sort of like Canto Bight but better, I think. And it involves both Poe and Finn in suits, using aliases, and each admiring each other and having fun. So good! We even learn there's this popular James Bond-like character from comics and "holofilms" in the Star Wars universe Finn loved to secretly read about as a kid in the FO.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hux is a far better character in TLJ. He was an actual character in it that felt Star Warys. He was a one note Tarkin wannabe in TFA.

TLJ Hux was fun.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Hux is a far better character in TLJ. He was an actual character in it that felt Star Warys. He was a one note Tarkin wannabe in TFA.

TLJ Hux was fun.

That's fine. I really liked him in TFA. I like how he spoke with Kylo and it was this sort of clash between the two and Hux was trying to win through strategy and intellect. Plus had the added benefit of coming across like someone who didn't play around and was competent.

I didn't get that feeling from him again in TLJ. And by extension didn't ever feel like the characters were ever in any real danger while watching.

Also, I didn't like the tone shift of his character between the two movies. Felt like two completely different characters.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I hope not. I feel it undermines his character and the threat your supposed to feel from him.

You're not supposed to feel a threat from him. He's a wannabe thought guy. He's a threat in that he has power and a zealot, but the point is that he's also pathetic, like a lot of the neo-Nazis today or alt-right zealots who are pathetic and laughable macho men, but nonetheless can be dangerous because of their insecurity and fanaticism with power.

At least, that's the development he's given in TLJ, which goes with the other canon background we've gotten from him. He was abused by his dad, and told he was never good enough. Hux basically wants to prove himself because of daddy issues. He's smart and competent most of the time, but he's ambitions get the better of him, which why the old imperial commanders hate him.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Rewatched The Force Awakens in my run through the 8 movies.

My question has been, what is the cinematic inspiration for the Sequel Trilogy so far? The OT famously has its roots in Jidai Geki, Westerns, and WWII movies, while the PT really seems to be invoking Shakespeare/Swords and Sandals type of media, but what is the ST? The more deliberately paced action of The Last Jedi sort of invokes Star Trek to me, while a lot of the Jedi/Dark Jedi stuff (have we ever established if the Knights of Ren are Sith or Sith-adjacent? I guess the new series is going to get into it) feels like it's invoking Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings (or maybe that's because I feel like Driver's Kylo Ren is deliberately invoking Rickman's Snape).

What do y'all think?
I personally don't think any of those were consciously chosen as inspiration. The trilogy as a whole doesn't have the same kind of overarching inspirations, but you can see some in individual scenes and characters. While I think the inspiration for Force Awakens is pretty much just the original trilogy, Kylo Ren and the knights were stated to have been designed after the seven samurai.
Rian is more of an auteur like early Lucas, so you see more homages and inspiration from non-SW films in the Last Jedi. While there are some individual scenes that are more like one-off references (the Space Balls reference with the iron, this homage to Wings) there's the obvious Rashōmon homage with Luke and Kylo's past. Fitting that it would pull from another Kurosawa film just like the original Star Wars.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Adam Driver interview where he has some very nice things to say about JJ Abrams and how they approached Kylo and Star Wars

Edit: Most of the interview is about other movies and his approach to acting if you're interested in that, but he does talk a little Star Wars in here

Oct 28, 2017
England
Hot take: I'm perfectly fine with Star Wars taking a break from the big screen so long as we keep getting live action and animated Disney+ shows, books and comics, and single player video games.

So, what do you guys think that third Disney+ show in production is? I know it won't be but goddamn would I love if it was a Knights of Ren show or something in the ST.

My first choice would be Crimson Dawn, a series following Qi'ra and Maul post-Solo, but I saw the suggestion of a Darth Plagueis mini-series the other day and became intrigued by the possibility. It would give us a chance to explore the pre-PT era (something we are sorely lacking in), and can give show an interesting look at the training of a Sith apprentice - something we haven't really seen too much of in canon in any real depth. In canon his species is unspecified, but if they kept him a Muun as in Legends it could also give us the first Star Wars property with an alien lead. Alternatively, they could continue using old concept art and make him a Neimoidian.

94iwe5q03r701.png

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
I was just watching ESPN and they ran this feature on Gina Carano. It's more about her than The Mandalorian, but I thought it was interestting.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Read all of the Journey to The Rise of Skywalker comics and it did do a good job at making me care about
Akbars home world and wondering what will happen to it
in The Rise of Skywalker and generally making me more interested in the story again. So I'm happy.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just watched The Last Jedi for the 3rd time out of curiosity and holy shit it finally clicked for me

I gave my thoughts here some time ago that something about it just didn't sit with me and was missing that happy "Star Wars" feeling every other film gave me (including spinoffs)

Since then I've read about the movie a lot and the themes and purpose of the events

Today I decided to rewatch it leading up to Ep 9 to refresh myself on everything and BOI

The movie finally did it for me, every major scene I saw in a different light now and I found new importance and power and I can't remember what I was ever so sour about

It was almost like seeing it for the first time the way my mind processed it all from a new angle and I'm gushing about it now

The Mirror scene and how it ties into the parentage plotline is super cool and Luke's exposition on the nature of the force and the Jedi ending with his conversation with Yoda (which is still fucking ace)

Man its just so fucking bizarre to me now how my entire outlook on the movie has changed and I appreciate everything it did with the characters, themes and greater story

The only tiny little complaint I still have is that the plan to turn off the hyperspace tracker using Maz's master hacker would have gone perfectly had they not dumped their speeder on the beach and got arrested moments away from the red flower pin dude. This isn't a problem with the movie so much as Finn just making a dumb decision lol

But yeah I'm glad I did this tonight coz I finally have that magical feeling Star Wars is supposed to give me, and my hype is somehow even higher for Ep 9 now aaaaaa

Edit: Jesus Christ sorry for the wall of text I didn't realise how long that got lol

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The only tiny little complaint I still have is that the plan to turn off the hyperspace tracker using Maz's master hacker would have gone perfectly had they not dumped their speeder on the beach and got arrested moments away from the red flower pin dude. This isn't a problem with the movie so much as Finn just making a dumb decision lol
I always find little things like this funny in movies. Like half of the entire universe would still be dead in the MCU if someone had parked a minivan somewhere else or had used better rat traps.

Star Wars Show does a bit where they thank some random character because without them a cascade of effects wouldn't have happened.

If that red droid wouldn't have blown up? Luke would've never seen R2's message and the entire OT and ST would've never happened.

Oct 27, 2017
I always find little things like this funny in movies. Like half of the entire universe would still be dead in the MCU if someone had parked a minivan somewhere else or had used better rat traps.

Star Wars Show does a bit where they thank some random character because without them a cascade of effects wouldn't have happened.

If that red droid wouldn't have blown up? Luke would've never seen R2's message and the entire OT and ST would've never happened.

Lmao you have to sit back and think of the entire Star Wars universe as one giant Rube Goldberg machine

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
preordered Fallen Order bc there is an Orange Lightsaber option as a preorder bonus, and I was going to get the game anyway soooo..

If you are going to get the game for sure, heads up go preorder it for a handful of nice bonuses, particularly the orange lightsaber variant option.

Status
Not open for further replies.