• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Solo and I love that Lando just has a closet full of different capes.
The funniest moment there that I missed the first time is when Qi'ra is putting up the capes. Han gets between her and rack, gets the cape from her and it looks like he's gonna do it for her, but he just sorta lets it drop on the floor.

Such a randomly dick move. lol

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The funniest moment there that I missed the first time is when Qi'ra is putting up the capes. Han gets between her and rack, gets the cape from her and it looks like he's gonna do it for her, but he just sorta lets it drop on the floor.

Such a randomly dick move. lol

That was a George Lucas addition, according to Ron Howard:
ComicBook.com said:
While Lucas was visiting the production, a romantically-charged scene between Solo and Qi'Ra was being filmed, which took place inside Lando's cape closet aboard the Millennium Falcon. The scene originally featured Han taking Qi'Ra's cape and hanging it up, until Lucas interjected with something more faithful to the character he created.
"He said, 'You know, Han wouldn't bother to hang it up,'" Howard shared with Variety. "And then he sort of did it. George became Han Solo for a second. The body language was there and the attitude. Not only was it a nice accent on the scene, but it was also a reminder that George created this character and really understood him. He was so reluctant [to offer his opinion], and yet the choice was so right that it was fun to use it."

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, TFA sets up the idea that Rey has important parentage. But then TLJ gives us a twist that hurts our protagonist, and the audience, just as the original trilogy did.

In ANH, Luke wants to know his father, learn more about him, and avenge his death, and since Luke is the audience surrogate and protagonist, we want these things for him too. So when he confronts Vader in ESB and learns the truth, it's a painful moment. We feel Luke's pain because he got what he wanted and it wasn't at all what he expected. It was devastating and destroyed his life to that point.

Similarly, in TFA Rey wants to know her parents, learn about them, and learn who she is in the process, and she is our protagonist and surrogate so we want these things too. So when Kylo tells her in TLJ that her parents are nobodies and she's nobody too, it hurts her and it hurts us by extension. All Rey wanted was to know who she is, and now she has the answer and it doesn't help her at all or make her feel any better.

Dan Harmon has a thing called the story circle that's basically a modified version of Campbell's Hero's Journey, and this is the crux point of the story called "Meeting the Goddess," where the hero finally finds what they were looking for all their life and it isn't what they expected. The goal they were selfishly seeking does not satisfy them, and so they have to instead pivot to a more selfless goal, looking outwards instead of inwards. In a story not written by a hack, this is the part where Rey would turn her focus towards rebuilding the Jedi, destroying the First Order, redeeming Kylo, working on a new form of government, or literally anything other than continuing to obsess over her parentage that ultimately gets upended again for literally no reason other than to retcon and erase the previous film.

Thank god social media didn't exist when the original trilogy was being written.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
Though to play devils advocate, TFA was setting up Rey to have an important parentage.

I'll see your devil's advocate and raise you

the middle ground is probably Rey's parentage in TFA was a mostly empty JJ Mystery Box. Although, didn't Daisy have some information given to her from JJ?

Yeah..what can we throw at the character that's an even greater 'problem'.

Hmm. To me, the worst thing Rey - who desires belonging - could find out is that she's actually nobody. It's what makes Ben's offer in TLJ so tempting.

Dan Harmon has a thing called the story circle that's basically a modified version of Campbell's Hero's Journey, and this is the crux point of the story called "Meeting the Goddess," where the hero finally finds what they were looking for all their life and it isn't what they expected. The goal they were selfishly seeking does not satisfy them, and so they have to instead pivot to a more selfless goal, looking outwards instead of inwards. In a story not written by a hack, this is the part where Rey would turn her focus towards rebuilding the Jedi, destroying the First Order, redeeming Kylo, working on a new form of government, or literally anything other than continuing to obsess over her parentage that ultimately gets upended again for literally no reason other than to retcon and erase the previous film.

There's an alternate timeline where the final movie in the trilogy was more like this. I try not to think about it and just be thankful new Star Wars is still a thing.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

the middle ground is probably Rey's parentage in TFA was a mostly empty JJ Mystery Box. Although, didn't Daisy have some information given to her from JJ?

Hmm. To me, the worst thing Rey - who desires belonging - could find out is that she's actually nobody. It's what makes Ben's offer in TLJ so tempting.

There's an alternate timeline where the final movie in the trilogy was more like this. I try not to think about it and just be thankful new Star Wars is still a thing.
But alternatively it's now the mother of all be careful what you wish for's. Yeah she's somebody.

And that somebody is a monster.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently MSW heard back in 2014/2015 that JJ wanted the conflict to be between a Palpatine and a Skywalker.

I also disagree with the notion that Rey's greatest fear is coming from nothing. which is silly. 99% of the population comes from average people. Her greatest fear is her parents abandoning her and never loving her imo.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently MSW heard back in 2014/2015 that JJ wanted the conflict to be between a Palpatine and a Skywalker.

I also disagree with the notion that Rey's greatest fear is coming from nothing. which is silly. 99% of the population comes from average people. Her greatest fear is her parents abandoning her and never loving her imo.
I don't think her greatest fear was that she is coming from nothing. Its learning that she has to learn to stand on her own feet. That is why the mirror scene in TLJ didn't show her parents but Rey herself.

She can't rely on the past to guide her.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
"I need someone to show me my place in all this."

"You have no place in this story. You come from nothing you're nothing."

Rey asks to see her parents in the mirror scene and she is shown herself. Why does this happen? Rey has parents in TFA, TLJ and now TROS, she just doesn't know who they are. So in TLJ we could've just seen 2 random people we've never seen before, like in TROS, but that wouldn't have meant anything to Rey in that moment. What she really wants is to be told that her parents are Han and Leia or Luke or someone of importance because she wants a place in this story.

Which is why the TROS reveal undoes some of the beautiful writing in TLJ, she fears coming from nothing because it means not having a part in this story. Up until then she thought Finn and Han were the heroes of this story and then in TLJ it was Luke and a possibly redeemed Kylo but never her. Never any place among these heroes, among these people of importance, since she was just Rey from nowhere.

By the end she overcomes that and realizes that she IS of importance, she IS the hero of this story and because of that she does have a place in all of this, a place in this story and she might come from nothing but she is still something.

[edit]

This is why I wish Rey had stayed a no one, Rian did so much to sell this part of Rey. It would've ended up being more narratively interesting for Rey, I think.

If TROS had told us she was Luke's daughter, I feel everything about what Rian set up would've been destroyed. However, her being a Palpatine ends up playing decently with what Rian set up since Rey still went through all of that, her character development is still all there and now she has to fight against the heritage she once wanted since it goes against the path she wants.

I've seen people say that her being a Palpatine ruins part of her because it means that she's powerful because of Palpatine and not because of herself. I don't have an issue with that since Rey had never been powerful because she trained really well or something, it's because the Force would've chosen her. At the end of the day it's a skill that almost no one has and you just have to be lucky to be born with.

Last edited:

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is this legit about MSW? I'm really not sure what to believe about that, tbh. It really did seem like a last-minute ass pull to me.

curb

Oct 27, 2017

My post shouldn't have been as snarky as it was. Maybe JJ did have it in mind. I think the problem really is the disconnected nature of how this trilogy came about. If JJ had ideas and KK was good with them, there should have been more of an effort to make things play a little nicer between films.

Also, my intent with Rey's fear thing was more along the lines of the belonging she wanted. Her being nobody meant that she had no one and no place, no one to rely on. TRoS at least gives her something, even if it isn't a great something. It's not a complete undoing of TLJ but it all doesn't quite jive to me.

Finn is Force sensitive and NO ONE wonders who his parents are. Rey's parents being special was not needed.

I think the question of Rey's parentage came up more than it should have. She should have been allowed to be powerful on her own. The MRA crowd is probably loving the fact that her power comes from a man. Heaven forbid a woman actually be competent, versatile and gifted.

Edit: yay spoilers!

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The golden lightsaber was the best looking saber I have ever seen in live action.

Should have been constructed at the start... in a alternate world where she stayed a "nobody".

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the question of Rey's parentage came up more than it should have. She should have been allowed to be powerful on her own. The MRA crowd is probably loving the fact that her power comes from a man. Heaven forbid a woman actually be competent, versatile and gifted.
Yay... It isn't helped by the fact that it is her father who is related to Palpatine, rather than her mother...

curb

Oct 27, 2017
The golden lightsaber was the best looking saber I have ever seen in live action.

One dumb little thing that bothers me is the teeth. I noticed that the end part from her staff is flat and opens in kind of a mouth when the blade ignites. Kinda reminds me of all the unnecessary articulation in Michael Bay's Transformers. Just a dumb minor gripe - I love the colour.

Yay... It isn't helped by the fact that it is her father who is related to Palpatine, rather than her mother...

Ugh. Such a small tweak that would have made such a big difference. I wish you hadn't mentioned that - now I'm annoyed.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Galaxy's Edge is gonna deal with TROS.

Do the characters stay stuck in post TLJ but pre-TROS? If I walk up to Rey and tell her she's a Palpatine, will she tell me to fuck off?

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Galaxy's Edge is gonna deal with TROS.

Do the characters stay stuck in post TLJ but pre-TROS? If I walk up to Rey and tell her she's a Palpatine, will she tell me to fuck off?
She'll say she's a Skywalker then walk away into the twin sunset I mean sunset of Anaheim California.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
So how many threads are there on reddit now, speculating on who Rey's mom is related to?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
She'll kindly say that she's actually a Skywalker and then walk off into the Anaheim/Florida sunset.
She'll say she's a Skywalker then walk away into the twin sunset I mean sunset of Anaheim California.
nRKcPRK.gif

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So I said that once Disney+ launched, I would, in 2020, start watching the Star Wars films (in release order) for the first time. Well, I started that pledge tonight instead of Wednesday.

And boy was that an enjoyable film! Plenty of action, humor, good acting, etc. Excited to keep trucking on on Wednesday night.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
JJ says the Plagueis scene in ROTS is his favourite, and then ruins it in this movie by revealing that the Palpatine we've always known is not actually Palpatine. Because Plagueis would have taken over when Sidious murdered him, following the logic of this movie.

🙃

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JJ says the Plagueis scene in ROTS is his favourite, and then ruins it in this movie by revealing that the Palpatine we've always known is not actually Palpatine. Because Plageuis would have taken over when Sidious murdered him, following the logic of this movie.

🙃
It's true. Darth Bane is Palpatine's original incarnation.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
So I said that once Disney+ launched, I would, in 2020, start watching the Star Wars films (in release order) for the first time. Well, I started that pledge tonight instead of Wednesday.

And boy was that an enjoyable film! Plenty of action, humor, good acting, etc. Excited to keep trucking on on Wednesday night.

Yep, ANH still remains the gold standard in many ways. Curious to hear what you think of Empire!

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
It's true. Darth Bane is Palpatine's original incarnation.
That's so trash. The guy we've followed all along is actually an amalgamation of countless before. How did they not see that this completely undermines Sidious' one-true goal of immortality and galactic dominance - for himself. The guy was never about upholding the Sith religion as TROS posits. It's such an asspull.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's how it works, you have to do some kind of ritual for all the Sith to pass, Palpatine himself is still the same guy.

Or at least that's how I'm choosing to believe it so that this trash doesn't ruin another thing from the previous films.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's how it works, you have to do some kind of ritual for all the Sith to pass, Palpatine himself is still the same guy.

Or at least that's how I'm choosing to believe it so that this trash doesn't ruin another thing from the previous films.
But he also states in the movie that he is all of the Sith 😬

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So finally watched Solo and I have to say I really liked it. Shame it didn't do good as I thought it was a lot of fun and all the actors did great.
God, we'll never actually see her kicking ass with that gorgeous Lightsaber.
Why think that? I'm sure we'll get something post TROS at some point. Be it a video game skin, comic, or something.

curb

Oct 27, 2017

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense. Sith can't become Force ghosts so this is their way of staying immortal.
My point is, Palpatine is no longer a character. By the time we really see him in the prequels, he's already murdered Plagueis and so all of those Sith guys are inside him. He no longer has his own autonomy thanks to this retcon.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point is, Palpatine is no longer a character. By the time we really see him in the prequels, he's already murdered Plagueis and so all of those Sith guys are inside him. He no longer has his own autonomy thanks to this retcon.

Maybe it's more that Palpatine is just so strong of will that he dominates the other Sith within him. Remember, he specifically says that he is going to live on inside Rey, not "we" meaning all the Sith, but he, Sheev, specifically. He considers himself an independent person.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's more that Palpatine is just so strong of will that he dominates the other Sith within him. Remember, he specifically says that he is going to live on inside Rey, not "we" meaning all the Sith, but he, Sheev, specifically. He considers himself an independent person.
The whole thing is a mess. It's tragically bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.