• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Anybody remember this JJ interview?

However, to answer your question—truly, finally—now that I'm back, the difference is I feel like we might've done it. Like, I actually feel like this crazy challenge that could have been a wildly uncomfortable contortion of ideas, and a kind of shoving-in of answers and Band-Aids and bridges and things that would have felt messy. Strangely, we were sort of relentless and almost unbearably disciplined about the story and forcing ourselves to question and answer some fundamental things that at the beginning, I absolutely had no clue how we would begin to address. I feel like we've gotten to a place—without jinxing anything or sounding more confident than I deserve to be—I feel like we're in a place where we might have something incredibly special. So I feel relief being home, and I feel gratitude that I got to do it. And more than anything, I'm excited about what I think we might have.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Bendemption is fine.

What the trilogy has not built toward is the non-sensical way it happened in TROS, especially it culminating in the Reylo kiss.

I'm telling y'all, they should have started the film with the flashback scene with Leia telling Luke that she's gonna have Ben and has to stop training, like they originally were planning to do.

Would have helped to pave that Bendemption road.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm telling y'all, they should have started the film with the flashback scene with Leia telling Luke that she's gonna have Ben and has to stop training, like they originally were planning to do.

Would have helped to pave that Bendemption road.

I agree, Then again, I also think if the movie was about 30 minutes longer it would of helped set up the stakes a bit more.

Not that I didn't mind Bendemption. I thought it was fine..if predictable. (The shrug we got was kinda worth it imo)

What the trilogy has not built toward is the non-sensical way it happened in TROS, especially it culminating in the Reylo kiss.

That was the one of the few times I threw my hands up in the theater and went "Oh okay then."

Last edited:

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

tenor.gif

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
An interesting tweet I made a thread referencing in April. He was the first to say that Palpatine was alive through an anagram, and he thought JJ always wrote Rey as feeling the call to the dark. This was before we had any real Rey Palpatine leaks.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Speaking of twitter threads about Star Wars bloodlines, I've been thinking a lot about this lately.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Hello Star Wars fans!

I'm a very casual Star Wars fan that is maybe interested in learning more about it.

I've watched The Phantom Menace through The Last Jedi exactly one time each, and have played KOTOR, KOTOR 2, and Jedi: Fallen Order.

I also watched Rogue One but kinda bounced off it as I felt I didn't know enough about the universe to really appreciate it.

Any advice where to go next?

Is it worth reading the books, or should I just pretend they don't exist?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello Star Wars fans!

I'm a very casual Star Wars fan that is maybe interested in learning more about it.

I've watched The Phantom Menace through The Last Jedi exactly one time each, and have played KOTOR, KOTOR 2, and Jedi: Fallen Order.

I also watched Rogue One but kinda bounced off it as I felt I didn't know enough about the universe to really appreciate it.

Well, it depends on what you like(d) about the movies/games that you've experienced so far. Do you want more Jedi stuff? Or more average people, like Rebels on missions against the Empire?

There are a lot of good shows, books, and comics out there but it's very broad.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Well, it depends on what you like(d) about the movies/games that you've experienced so far. Do you want more Jedi stuff? Or more average people, like Rebels on missions against the Empire?

There are a lot of good shows, books, and comics out there but it's very broad.

Hmm...

I do like the "average people stuff". I like stories of normal people having to deal with crazy situations.

I like Obi-wan.

I like interesting villains.

I think the Skywalkers are pretty boring, all in all. Chosen one narratives are probably my least favorite genre trope.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Hello Star Wars fans!

I'd skip the comics and books for now. Go and give Clone Wars and Rebels a shot. It'll be solid first steps into the expanded universe and many of the characters their are some of the more popular expanded universe ones. Helps enhance stuff like Fallen Order and Rogue One too

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Started playing Fallen Order. I literally don't get the game. I don't know what it is, but I can't grasp it all. I'm functionally still in the tutorial on the second lowest difficulty and I'm just dying over and over.

Also, it takes way too fucking long to load after dying.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Star Wars fans!

Go watch TROS.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of twitter threads about Star Wars bloodlines, I've been thinking a lot about this lately.

maybe, but superhero comics and Star Wars (other than sorta TLJ) have always been primarily about those things. If anything, Abrams approach to this stuff isn't really an outlier of any sort.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing Fallen Order. I literally don't get the game. I don't know what it is, but I can't grasp it all. I'm functionally still in the tutorial on the second lowest difficulty and I'm just dying over and over.

Also, it takes way too fucking long to load after dying.

I went from the second highest down to Story difficulty and played the rest like that (and loved it). Story isn't a badge of shame. And yes, load times after death are terrible.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
With the upcoming season 7 of Clone Wars, is it likely that Disney will release a complete season collection on Bluray? Maybe even 4K? It's difficult to get a hold of the later seasons where I am. The Blurays are incredibly expensive, I have gathered.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the upcoming season 7 of Clone Wars, is it likely that Disney will release a complete season collection on Bluray? Maybe even 4K? It's difficult to get a hold of the later seasons where I am. The Blurays are incredibly expensive, I have gathered.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Disney (like most of the industry, unfortunately) has been moving away from home video for a couple years, and Clone Wars is being positioned as a big marquee title for Disney+ along with the past seasons.

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
And they didn't even release Season 6 on Blu-Ray here. I had to import it from Germany where it was released for some reason.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Since the original assets weren't made at 4k I am not sure there would be a ton of benefit in the earlier seasons.

Oct 28, 2017
Guys I can't seem to get over this movie. Help me

How could Disney let its last movie go out like this? Why start over with Abrams and Terrio with such a short production? Guess Abrams simply did not want to work off someone else's script. How do you make Rey a Palpatine in the third movie? How do you literally write your movie around unused footage of Carrie from 2015?

How do you just say Palpatine was pulling the strings the whole time and not explain anything about his return? How do you make Snoke a clone? How does Adam Driver not speak for the last 40 min? How do you do so many of these things?

How do you have the emperor kill Rey's parents like he anticipated her taking REVENGE on him but don't give her story any real temptation to do evil???

Last edited:

curb

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want them to make a complete Clone Wars set because I don't want to feel compelled to replace my 1-5 set that I love.

Looks like Amazon have exclusive rights to that 4k Skywalker saga boxset here in UK. I'm am kinda tempted..

Best Buy Canada briefly put both the Skywalker Saga and the Rise of Skywalker steelbook up on their site before Christmas. As far as I can tell, you couldn't actually order the Saga set at the time but I did manage to order the steelbook. Shortly after they went up, both listings were pulled and have not come back. It's weird.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I took my 4 year old son to see the new Star Wars and lemme tell you I actually had fun this time bc I was entirely focused on dishing out popcorn and fruit punch and making sure he's not annoying other people and anticipating the lightsaber fights vs when he has to pee. Turns out it's a fun movie when you don't pay any attention to it.
My impression was that he liked Babu Frik, the lightsaber fights, laying down flat on the recliner seats, the snake monster, seeing Luke, me running carrying him to the bathroom and back, more lightsaber fights, all the force lightning, and asking to leave for the last 60 minutes.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I took my dad to see this on Sunday (my third time) and the film continues to grow on me. It still has a myriad of problems but there is a heart to this film and while I think somebody like Rian could have nailed the landing in a so much more satisfying way there's a lot to love about this movie if you can accept the creative decisions Abrams made.

That said, I am so ready to move beyond the Skywalkers. There are so many boundless opportunities with this universe and not being anchored to the OT (or the prequels) gives this franchise so much breathing room to do amazing and intriguing things.

Oct 28, 2017
So I took my dad to see this on Sunday (my third time) and the film continues to grow on me. It still has a myriad of problems but there is a heart to this film and while I think somebody like Rian could have nailed the landing in a so much more satisfying way there's a lot to love about this movie if you can accept the creative decisions Abrams made.

That said, I am so ready to move beyond the Skywalkers. There are so many boundless opportunities with this universe and not being anchored to the OT (or the prequels) gives this franchise so much breathing room to do amazing and intriguing things.
Weren't we doing that with TLJ and TROS yanked things back hard to the Skywalkers?

curb

Oct 27, 2017

This is pretty much where I'm at too (including being ready to move beyond the Skywalkers). The bolded part though is a big ask for me in a few specific places though.

I think ultimately, the toughest decision to accept is the one to make TRoS a conclusion to the saga first and foremost over a conclusion to this trilogy. I really don't think the saga needed it.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty much where I'm at too (including being ready to move beyond the Skywalkers). The bolded part though is a big ask for me in a few specific places though.

I think ultimately, the toughest decision to accept is the one to make TRoS a conclusion to the saga first and foremost over a conclusion to this trilogy. I really don't think the saga needed it.

When I'm referring to acceptance I'm talking about the reality that we have no choice in the matter. TROS is cannon and the Skywalker saga is done.

It is what it is.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, that's sad because Rey deserves her own story rather than guest starring in the Skywalker drama.

I don't disagree but this ST was always going to be heavily linked to the OT.

And regardless of how it ended, Rey was front and center even while characters like Han, Luke and Leia were essentially regulated to support. Rey is a huge part of the cannon now and perhaps down the line we'll see her return in some capacity.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that LF released a box office flop (solo) and a critically panned movie (tros) back to back.

We need to go back to 2017 LF.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
TROS just plain festers after awhile. the most i liked the film was right when i walked out. ever since then thinking on it, the longer it's been, the more it rots in the mind. TLJ did the exact opposite for me.

Still, only seen it the once. need to give it a rewatch but i doubt that won't be til it drops on disney plus

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
My question has always been: "Who pushed for calling this the end of the Skywalker Saga?"

Because nobody called this the Skywalker Saga prior to the TROS marketing push. Nobody said this trilogy would wrap up the Skywalkers. Kennedy would say that the mainline movies are focused on the Skywalkers, but it always felt like to me that the push for putting the weight of wrapping up the Skywalker Saga was a mistake. Always felt like biting off more than they could chew, dooming the expectations game from the start.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that LF released a box office flop (solo) and a critically panned movie (tros) back to back.

We need to go back to 2017 LF.
Yeah TLJ was the last really good SW movie recently, I hope we get a really good one again in 2022 or so. And also for it to be a box office success as well.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
My question has always been: "Who pushed for calling this the end of the Skywalker Saga?"

Because nobody called this the Skywalker Saga prior to the TROS marketing push. Nobody said this trilogy would wrap up the Skywalkers. Kennedy would say that the mainline movies are focused on the Skywalkers, but it always felt like to me that the push for putting the weight of wrapping up the Skywalker Saga was a mistake. Always felt like biting off more than they could chew, dooming the expectations game from the start.
Its was a excuse to bring back palpatine because the writers did not know what to do with these new characters.

Trev's script while iffy at least sounded like a conclusion to the ST.

edit: and I think Trev's movie would have turned out bad too. It was a lose - lose situation.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
it was just plain the wrong move to bring back palps. dude shoulda stayed dead. instead they brought him back and shoehorned a bunch of shit like him creating snoke and being behind the first order and everything. give me a break

curb

Oct 27, 2017

I think the bolded seems especially when you look back at TFA. That movie, while tied to the OT crew, really does seem to be introducing the new class. It's all about Rey and Finn with a little Poe thrown in. Sure, Han plays an important part but he serves more to further Rey and Ben's plot more than anything. It's a baton pass. TLJ picks that up and continues to make our new heroes the focus.

TRoS wrenches it back and makes it all about legacy again. I think that's the most unsatisfying part because it sacrifices our new heroes in service of everything but them. Even Rey Skywalker is for the legacy - and the audience - and not what makes the most sense for her character (which considering her whole arc would either be confidently Rey Nobody or at least Rey Organa since there's obviously a mother-daughter thing going on there).

I'm disappointed in the end
tenor.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They saw what was going on down the hall at Marvel Studios and decided to cynically copy the Endgame "ending of a generation" hype. It didn't work because people saw right through it.

That's been the problem at Lucasfilm since the acquisition, just a complete lack of creativity, constantly aping what others are doing, spinning around like a chicken without a head, desperately looking for someone else to provide them a direction.

The February 4 investor call is going to start off with Bob Iger going "We've heard a lot of great theories about what our 2022 Star Wars will be, and we'd love to hear more. Seriously, send us your ideas. We've got nothing. Let's hear it."

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
it was just plain the wrong move to bring back palps. dude shoulda stayed dead. instead they brought him back and shoehorned a bunch of shit like him creating snoke and being behind the first order and everything. give me a break
Yep, I agree with you on that, wish that didn't happen.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe "being a SW fan" should not be a prerequisite for working on a SW movie.

I do think the Marvel Cinematic Universe has benefited from Kevin Feige caring about the source material so much. I'm not saying you're wrong though. I'm just not sure how you even handle a nostalgia vortex franchise like Star Wars anymore (and make it successful).

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017

They didn't have confidence that simply ending the conflict as we knew it would get the desired financial result. I can't speak to the metrics they looked at to come to that opinion, but it's pretty clear they felt some need to artificially heighten the stakes and importance of IX.

Oct 28, 2017
They didn't have confidence that simply ending the conflict as we knew it would get the desired financial result. I can't speak to the metrics they looked at to come to that opinion, but it's pretty clear they felt some need to artificially heighten the stakes and importance of IX.
Agreed. It was their marketing hook along with Palpatine.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I would fire him too if he wouldn't do Bendemption. Entire sequel trilogy from TFA on has built toward Ben turning to the good and sacrificing himself.
Definitely don't see that. Both TFA and TLJ show Kylo being offered chances to return to the light and reject it. Like the conflict in him is someone feeling the pull to the light and rejecting it because he wants the dark side. Which felt different to me from how Vader was written.

That said..

I lean more in this direction but that being said, I think whoever wrote IX could have taken it either way and made it work for whichever direction they wanted to take his character.

I agree with this, and think Ben's redemption in TROS largely works for me.

JJ seemed more confident overall about TROS than TFA. This is very relatable to me, because the more confident I am about my work, the worse it tends to be lol

You'd think someone so self-conscious about their own famous parents would want to deviate away making stories about that!

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The film didn't need Palpatine; that much was certain from the outset. If they wanted a larger baddie they could have brought in somebody like Thrawn (who's cannon) or even a Sith cult without Palpatine that offers up some manner of resources.

Kylo was set up to be the primary villain and I think he could have easily pulled that off in the third film despite some claiming the contrary. They could have even kept Rey as a Palpatine and had an interesting inversion, with a Palpatine as the hero and a Skywalker/Solo as the villain.