• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
The film didn't need Palpatine; that much was certain from the outset. If they wanted a larger baddie they could have brought in somebody like Thrawn (who's cannon) or even a Sith cult without Palpatine that offers up some manner of resources.

Kylo was set up to be the primary villain and I think he could have easily pulled that off in the third film despite some claiming the contrary. They could have even kept Rey as a Palpatine and had an interesting inversion, with a Palpatine as the hero and a Skywalker/Solo as the villain.

Something something raising stakes, but to me the Empire on its own was pretty much enough of a looming threat in the OT. It would make no sense tonally for the Palpatine of RotJ to take out the Rebel fleet with Force Lightning so really, the threat to be eliminated is his political and military power as much if not more than it is his space magic. A Palpatine-less TRoS could have had the First Order just be the fascist military regime that oppresses the galaxy and that could have been enough in the hands of the right screenwriters because in the foreground of that, you tell a great story involving our characters instead of needing a spectacular saga-closer.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Damn you, I thought this was a new tweet

I'm skeptical that they'll actually make the announcement this month. With Taika reportedly still in talks, or talks just beginning, for his own SW movie deal (and I'd assume that would be for the 2022 film) I'm not confident they're far enough along to announce the director in the next two weeks. Certainly we'll hear about it by Celebration, but skeptical about it happening by end of January.

That said, I think the Project Luminous stuff is supposed to be announced this month too, so maybe it'll all be one group announcement?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Damn you, I thought this was a new tweet

I'm skeptical that they'll actually make the announcement this month. With Taika reportedly still in talks, or talks just beginning, for his own SW movie deal (and I'd assume that would be for the 2022 film) I'm not confident they're far enough along to announce the director in the next two weeks. Certainly we'll hear about it by Celebration, but skeptical about it happening by end of January.

That said, I think the Project Luminous stuff is supposed to be announced this month too, so maybe it'll all be one group announcement?

I don't see any way Taika makes a 2022 release date with having to finish Thor first. Taika will either be a movie after the 2022 movie or they will be missing 2022 altogether.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see any way Taika makes a 2022 release date with having to finish Thor first. Taika will either be a movie after the 2022 movie or they will be missing 2022 altogether.
Yeah I know it'd be a super tight turnaround to do Thor and Star Wars in back-to-back years, and in most cases I'd agree I don't see that happening. But this guy is a machine right now, and depending on when Thor films (I think this summer) it might be almost doable. I could see that not happening for obvious reasons but also seems odd to me that they'd close a deal with him to do the 2024 film now, that's almost five years out!

I'm kinda not even excited for the 2022 movie since we already know Rian's movie will not be this one
Maybe it is and Rian's first movie is actually what kicks off the High Republic stuff? I know everyone assumed his trilogy was going to be set in the future, removed from the Skywalkers, but he never actually specified whether it'd be in the far past or far future.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know it'd be a super tight turnaround to do Thor and Star Wars in back-to-back years, and in most cases I'd agree I don't see that happening. But this guy is a machine right now, and depending on when Thor films (I think this summer) it might be almost doable. I could see that not happening for obvious reasons but also seems odd to me that they'd close a deal with him to do the 2024 film now, that's almost five years out!

Given how many of Ep IX's issues can be attributed to a rushed production schedule I seriously doubt they will want to do that again. It's probably enough time if he didn't need to shoot and do post-production on a major blockbuster movie in the meantime but that's not the case here.

And I take all of Disney's currently announced release dates with a grain of salt. If they want to skip 2022 and move into 2023 I think they can make a date work.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it is and Rian's first movie is actually what kicks off the High Republic stuff? I know everyone assumed his trilogy was going to be set in the future, removed from the Skywalkers, but he never actually specified whether it'd be in the far past or far future.

Probably not the 2022 movie (if it even exists) as it sounds like he's moving straight into a follow-up to Knives Out.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Given how many of Ep IX's issues can be attributed to a rushed production schedule I seriously doubt they will want to do that again.
I don't doubt that Disney will continue rushing Star Wars productions going forward haha

The issue with the release dates is that they're deliberately staggered to alternate between SW and Avatar for most of the decade, so pushing back one movie upsets the schedule for almost a half dozen other movies.

Probably not the 2022 movie (if it even exists) as it sounds like he's moving straight into a follow-up to Knives Out.
Oh right, I forgot that was happening.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt that Disney will continue rushing Star Wars productions going forward haha

The issue with the release dates is that they're deliberately staggered to alternate between SW and Avatar for most of the decade, so pushing back one movie upsets the schedule for almost a half dozen other movies.

I think Disney may reconsider the SW=Christmas thing. Especially if future SW films are more episodic and less "event" films, I can see them being released elsewhere in the year, including swapping with MCU release dates as needed. An MCU movie in that Christmas slot could be bonkers.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Disney (like most of the industry, unfortunately) has been moving away from home video for a couple years, and Clone Wars is being positioned as a big marquee title for Disney+ along with the past seasons.

Damn. I thought that the Skywalker Saga in 4K meant that they hadn't completely abandoned physical. They did do Rebels Season 4 in 2018, though, so maybe there's hope for a Clone Wars reprint / complete collection?

Star Wars Rebels never got a complete series blu-ray and Resistance didn't get any blu-ray release.

They do got whole season releases though.

They are also pushing some of the Rebels physical stuff though, with an artbook for example.

Since the original assets weren't made at 4k I am not sure there would be a ton of benefit in the earlier seasons.

Didn't necessarily mean 4K blurays, just any damn bluray of Clone Wars would suffice. They are rare now adays and go for a pretty penny on ebay.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
There's a great little book that came with my Clone Wars 1-5 set. I'd totally buy a full book of concept art and production info.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I think Disney may reconsider the SW=Christmas thing. Especially if future SW films are more episodic and less "event" films, I can see them being released elsewhere in the year, including swapping with MCU release dates as needed. An MCU movie in that Christmas slot could be bonkers.
Black Panther 2 Christmas. Wowza

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Rian Johnson can still do knives out 2 and the 2022 movie. He shot the first one in like 34 days. Taika also did a smaller project right before filming love and thunder.

But HR said the 2022 movie won't be his so 🤷‍♂️

edit: RJ recently started a production company for film and tv.. I wonder if his project got turned into a tv series where they allowed to take actual risks.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they look back at the first 5 years of the Disney Star Wars era and realize more time is needed across the board to make this shit all run smoothly. There's only one Kevin Feige and only one MCU. It's unrealistic to expect those kind of results and such a quick turnaround for any other franchise, even Star Wars.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now the big problem with scheduling Star Wars is that Marvel has stolen all the good dates on the calendar, and then Avatar 3 hits December 2023, so they can't use that date either.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but Marvel has had so much success with its spring/summer dates and Star Wars at Christmas (even with TROS underperforming, it still cleared a billion) that I can't see them wanting to rock that boat at all. There are a bunch of reasons Solo bombed, but surely the fact the only time a Disney Star Wars movie was released outside of Christmas didn't resonate with audiences is not something they'll forget.

edit: RJ recently started a production company for film and tv.. I wonder if his project got turned into a tv series where they allowed to take actual risks.
I don't think the formation of that production company would really tip his hand about that, but I had that thought too about his trilogy becoming a series and think that would be even better. He's got the tv experience already. My only worry is, if it's not High Republic related, would Lucasfilm want to do it? Since it seems like there's going to be a push to rally everything around this time period. But maybe that's just a movies + EU thing, and the tv shows will be more wherever the creators want them to be.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No matter how you choose to slice it or spin it, Disney-Era SW has been a raging success.

TFA – Highest domestic box office of all time and over two-billion at global box office.

Rogue One – Over one-billion worldwide and over five-hundred million domestically.

The Last Jedi – 1.3 billion globally and over 600 million domestic.

Solo – the only legitimate flop and I still believe that had they waited and released Solo at Christmas time, it would have done better, at least domestically.

TROS – Over one billion to date and on its way to crossing 500 million domestically.

Star Wars is a 42-year-old franchise and yet four out of its five newest films grossed in excess of a billion dollars. Outside of the MCU – which is admittedly a cultural phenomenon of its own – SW is still the most lucrative franchise in film and that isn't even factoring that Baby Yoda blew up the fucking internet.

Disney and Kennedy just need to focus on quality control, acquiring talent and making good films and television.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
No matter how you choose to slice it or spin it, Disney-Era SW has been a raging success.

TFA – Highest domestic box office of all time and over two-billion at global box office.

Rogue One – Over one-billion worldwide and over five-hundred million domestically.

Solo – the only legitimate flop and I still believe that had they waited and released Solo at Christmas time, it would have done better, at least domestically.

TROS – Over one billion to date and on its way to crossing 500 million domestically.

Star Wars is a 42-year-old franchise and yet four out of its five newest films grossed in excess of a billion dollars. Outside of the MCU – which is admittedly a cultural phenomenon of its own – SW is still the most lucrative franchise in film and that isn't even factoring that Baby Yoda blew up the fucking internet.

Disney and Kennedy just need to focus on quality control, acquiring talent and making good films and television.
yeah on paper it's been great. especially considering where lucasfilm was when disney acquired them. last film they made was clone wars and that made like what, 30 mil? yikes

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah on paper it's been great. especially considering where lucasfilm was when disney acquired them. last film they made was clone wars and that made like what, 30 mil? yikes

I'm loving their output and frankly, if TROS is the worst we get that's not a bad run.

Most of us would have killed for something of TROS caliber after the prequels came to an end.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

ku3Fexx.gif

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, everything would be set and perfect too when this happens.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm loving their output and frankly, if TROS is the worst we get that's not a bad run.

Most of us would have killed for something of TROS caliber after the prequels came to an end.
sure. but there's nothing wrong with aiming higher and getting better quality films in the future. we saw a glimpse of that with TLJ, wouldnt mind a soft reboot of sorts with a blank canvass to get things going. part of the reason why i like the idea of the "high republic" setting. they get to tell all new stories in a different time in the galaxy.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
sure. but there's nothing wrong with aiming higher and getting better quality films in the future. we saw a glimpse of that with TLJ, wouldnt mind a soft reboot of sorts with a blank canvass to get things going. part of the reason why i like the idea of the "high republic" setting. they get to tell all new stories in a different time in the galaxy.

I mean, I think for the most part the quality is there. TLJ is - for me - on a tier of its own and TROS is the only film I think has some genuinely serious issues. Now that we are moving away from the legacy stuff and into relatively uncharted territory, sky is the limit.

And I don't think we need a soft reboot so much as we need movement; either go far back into the past (founding of the Jedi, rise of the Sith, etc.) or jump forward a few centuries after TROS.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
What's the age brackets in this thread? Who's old enough to remember the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Colin said there was no art from DOTF "in here" he was talking about an article published by IGN specifically, not the actual artbook. Colin doesn't know Korean and hasn't gotten himself the book from South Korea to check all the content.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think for the most part the quality is there. TLJ is - for me - on a tier of its own and TROS is the only film I think has some genuinely serious issues. Now that we are moving away from the legacy stuff and into relatively uncharted territory, sky is the limit.

And I don't think we need a soft reboot so much as we need movement; either go far back into the past (founding of the Jedi, rise of the Sith, etc.) or jump forward a few centuries after TROS.
Yeah that would work too, go far into the future and do new exciting stuff!

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I am thinking about getting some of the Epic Collection comics. What are the best and recommended ones?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never watched Young Indy. If I do, should I watch the original TV versions ("The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles") or the re-edited versions ("The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones")?