• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
when the clone wars season 7 OT drops?
9fz80ulm2lb11.png

curb

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like the broad strokes of where Finn and Poe end up at the end of TROS, the latter as Leia's successor in leading the Resistance and the former, in addition to being a Resistance general, rallying other Force-sensitive ex-stormtroopers to their cause. In Finn's case in particular, it feels like a full circle thing where Finn is now playing the Poe/Han role to Jannah who is where Finn was in TFA. The issue is, a lot of this stuff happens very quick and feels underbaked relative to Rey and Kylo's story. For as much people flipped their shit about Finn's subplot in TLJ or Poe's subplot, at least they have their own distinctive stories there. Poe and Finn often feel like they're in TROS to serve Rey's story, and while there may not be a literal reduction in screentime it feels like they carry less presence on screen because they don't have as much to own.

I think I'm with you on this. I (mostly) like where Finn, Poe and Rey end up but it's the journey there that's frustrating. I think "underbaked" is a good word to use.

Re: JJ's feelings on TLJ, I think Poe even more than "Rey Palpatine" is a clearer example of how JJ either not liking TLJ, not understanding it, and/or just defaulting to his preferred takes from TFA. If the movie was going to build on TLJ Poe should've been more of a clear-eyed Resistance leader from the start, but until Leia dies he's still in the same hotshot pilot mode he was in TFA and much of TLJ, like JJ didn't read or get the deconstruction of that persona in TLJ. And then when the plot does fully hand the leadership reins to Poe, he's back in the cockpit again. I've mentioned this before but a small but meaningful change JJ could've made to the fleet battle would be to have Poe calling the shots for the battle from the Tantive IV, being less of a Lando/Wedge and more of an Ackbar figure.

For sure. He goes from just being the hotshot pilot in TFA to a real, fleshed out character. I didn't realize I wanted him directing the battle like that until you mentioned it. It's a prime example of throwing the overall arc out the window.

TLJ: Poe, be better than a hotshot pilot. Be the leader we need.
TRoS: Poe, jump in an X-wing and blow something up.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Rian Johnson giving us the idea we all really need right now: Robert Eggers Star Wars.

Do it, Kathy!

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i think part of the reason why i got pumped about that vader comic is that they're going back to naboo. when it comes to star wars planets, one of my all time favorites is naboo. don't know if it's one of the more fully realized planets or that it's drop dead gorgeous or that it isn't just one biome or that theed kinda reminds me of a dinotopia city. just plain love that planet. need to see more of it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This has probably been answered long ago but speaking as someone who doesn't watch TCW, how do they square the circle of Anakin not being granted the title of Jedi Master in ROTS with Anakin also training an apprentice during the Clone Wars? Wouldn't taking on an apprentice who are you training to make into a Jedi Knight by default make you a master?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been answered long ago but speaking as someone who doesn't watch TCW, how do they square the circle of Anakin not being granted the title of Jedi Master in ROTS with Anakin also training an apprentice during the Clone Wars? Wouldn't taking on an apprentice who are you training to make into a Jedi Knight by default make you a master?

This was always confusing in the old EU too, but the title "Jedi Master" and the lowercase "master" aren't the same thing. A Jedi Knight can be a master to a padawan. Obi-Wan wasn't a Jedi Master either when he began training Anakin.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
The vibe I always got from TCW was that Master was someone who sat on the Council. I know that's not right, but that designation seemed like the thing that kept Anakin from "being promoted" but still allowed him to have a Padawan.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The vibe I always got from TCW was that Master was someone who sat on the Council. I know that's not right, but that designation seemed like the thing that kept Anakin from "being promoted" but still allowed him to have a Padawan.

Some Masters don't sit on the Council, but everyone sitting on the Council is a Master, which was why Anakin got pissed in Episode III.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Some Masters don't sit on the Council, but everyone sitting on the Council is a Master, which was why Anakin got pissed in Episode III.
Yeah. Like Qui-Gon was a Master but never sat on the Council. Maybe this is answered better in that Jedi Order Handbook thing, because a search on Wookiepedia isn't showing me any formal advancement structure.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought about Obi-Wan training wee little Ani and not being a master. I'd always kinda wondered about Anakin having a padawan.

Do we know when Anakin actually became a full knight?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. So Jedi Master is less about teaching a student, and more of a personal promotion. "You have to be THIS enlightened to be a Jedi Master."

I never thought about Obi-Wan training wee little Ani and not being a master. I'd always kinda wondered about Anakin having a padawan.

Do we know when Anakin actually became a full knight?

In the original animated Clone Wars series Anakin underwent the trials on-screen, but I guess that's not canon anymore.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they let genddy do another animated project. His 2D Clone Wars was sooooooooooo good man. Why isn't it on D+?

curb

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they let genddy do another animated project. His 2D Clone Wars was sooooooooooo good man. Why isn't it on D+?

Probably as to not muddy the canonical waters. It's weird, there's all kinds of old Marvel cartoons on D+ as well as the SW Lego stuff.

Unless Lucasfilm doesn't actually own the rights?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't want Clone Wars 2003 on there because it would confuse people. It's possible they'll add it in the future when they're not actively marketing the 2008 show's return.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They don't want Clone Wars 2003 on there because it would confuse people. It's possible they'll add it in the future when they're not actively marketing the 2008 show's return.
Perfect opportunity to add a Legends tab on Disney+. That way we can Droids, Ewoks, and the Holiday Special

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

Replaying SWTOR for the umpteenth time, I'm reminded that the Dark Council has a similar dynamic. Every member is a Darth, but not every Darth is on the Council, etc. Makes it kinda weird when the big bad Darth of a story arc also has a "master" Darth on the council, but I guess that's how George set it up originally.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I almost waded into that thread about Lucas making a better ST and thought better of it.

If people really want to push that narrative power to them.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Lucasfilm kind of needs to start announcing some shit. Retake control of the PR narrative. The Star Wars brand has been engulfed in two straight months of terrible PR and negativity and Lucasfilm has been totally radio silent even as we know they have a number of cool projects in development. The one thing they've done is drop a well-received Clone Wars trailer that was immediately overshadowed by the Obi-Wan news and the continuing turmoil over Trevorrow's scrapped script. One step forward and one step back.

They need to be like Marvel and just do a big blast of information at a stage show somewhere. High Republic movie! Project Luminous! Rebels sequel! Aphra! Cassian news! But the problem is Celebration isn't until August this year for some reason so they can't use it as a marketing vehicle early in the year.

I think the opposite. They need to stop announcing shit until they are sure of what they are doing.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever been a part of a fanbase that makes me feel as miserable as Star Wars. I'm a fan of several controversial and wildly mocked series but somehow SW is the one I hesitate talking about outside of very select places

It's just so negative and it's been that way for so long now. Like I don't mind if someone doesn't like it but I see "Disney ruined the franchise and have done nothing worthwhile" and I'm just like "really?"

Even if Duel of the Fates came out and it was somehow better received you'd still have people whining about TLJ ruining Luke or how Rey was a Mary Sue or whatever.

Why is it like this? What about this franchise makes some people so miserable?

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I don't think I've ever been a part of a fanbase that makes me feel as miserable as Star Wars. I'm a fan of several controversial and wildly mocked series but somehow SW is the one I hesitate talking about outside of very select places

It's just so negative and it's been that way for so long now. Like I don't mind if someone doesn't like it but I see "Disney ruined the franchise and have done nothing worthwhile" and I'm just like "really?"

Even if Duel of the Fates came out and it was somehow better received you'd still have people whining about TLJ ruining Luke or how Rey was a Mary Sue or whatever.

Why is it like this? What about this franchise makes some people so miserable?

It bums me out. And I realize that yesterday I was joining in a little on the negativity but this is really the only place where the conversations surrounding everything is tolerable.

I just don't get it to be honest.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
So I've been thinking on this for a little while and I'm too tired to elaborate in all honesty but the gist of my thoughts is that TROS really does feel like and odd one out in a major way.

TFA, TLJ and Fallen Order/Rebels started to feel like they were reaching for a bigger more "democratic" (anyone can be important) Force. It felt like Ahsoka was the beginning of an idea that was pulling away from the worst parts of the Jedi (well Luke first obvi) and that the Galaxy was going to be getting something new and better coming out of it. Like I see Cal, Kanan, Ezra and Cere as growing from the old idea of the Jedi into something new and a little more comprehensive.

But TROS felt like it was too afraid to do that. Bendemption, Rey being a Palpatine, TFO literally being Palpatine's idea and a sort of forcing of the ST to be not only relevant but oddly reliant to the OT is where my problems with the movie are. It feels like it couldn't trust it's characters to carry the movie on their own and that sorta sucks but it also weakens what could have been an awesome "awakening" of the force.

Edit: And it'd make sense with Galaxy's edge and be VERY marketable.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Like Qui-Gon was a Master but never sat on the Council. Maybe this is answered better in that Jedi Order Handbook thing, because a search on Wookiepedia isn't showing me any formal advancement structure.

Random FWIW, the recent Master & Apprentice novel revealed that Qui-Gon was offered a seat on the council but rejected it.
So I've been thinking on this for a little while and I'm too tired to elaborate in all honesty but the gist of my thoughts is that TROS really does feel like and odd one out in a major way.

TFA, TLJ and Fallen Order/Rebels started to feel like they were reaching for a bigger more "democratic" (anyone can be important) Force. It felt like Ahsoka was the beginning of an idea that was pulling away from the worst parts of the Jedi (well Luke first obvi) and that the Galaxy was going to be getting something new and better coming out of it. Like I see Cal, Kanan, Ezra and Cere as growing from the old idea of the Jedi into something new and a little more comprehensive.

But TROS felt like it was too afraid to do that. Bendemption, Rey being a Palpatine, TFO literally being Palpatine's idea and a sort of forcing of the ST to be not only relevant but oddly reliant to the OT is where my problems with the movie are. It feels like it couldn't trust it's characters to carry the movie on their own and that sorta sucks but it also weakens what could have been an awesome "awakening" of the force.

I think this is a good point. The thing that the ST ultimately failed to resolve was how the Jedi needed to change avoid a repeat of what happened in the prequels. TLJ emphasizes that change is needed and Rebels/FO begin to show the outlines on some ideas, but TROS doesn't follow up. I get the sense that a Rey-led Jedi order would just be a carbon copy of what was done before based on what we see in TROS.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Random FWIW, the recent Master & Apprentice novel revealed that Qui-Gon was offered a seat on the council but rejected it.

I think this is a good point. The thing that the ST ultimately failed to resolve was how the Jedi needed to change avoid a repeat of what happened in the prequels. TLJ emphasizes that change is needed and Rebels/FO begin to show the outlines on some ideas, but TROS doesn't follow up. I get the sense that a Rey-led Jedi order would just be a carbon copy of what was done before based on what we see in TROS.

Part of this is the reason I'd love for them to go forward in the timeline and deliver on the awakening or have some Expanded stuff that delves into how Rey (and maybe Finn) learn from the Jedi's original mistakes/errors.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Part of this is the reason I'd love for them to go forward in the timeline and deliver on the awakening or have some Expanded stuff that delves into how Rey (and maybe Finn) learn from the Jedi's original mistakes/errors.

Outside of some very inconsequential stuff, I think Lucasfilm is going to restrict any EU material following up on the ST, especially starring main cast. They don't want a repeat of the old EU and a need to de-canonize everything if someone decides to make films in 10 or 20 years following up on these characters. Or make potential Disney+ series' even sooner.

That's probably a big reason for Project Luminous to push into a new era. They've spent 5+ years focused on filling in gaps between RotS and RotJ. So now it's move to an entirely new, unexplored era or spend a lot of time filling in gaps between RotJ and TFA. The former would be a lot more interesting.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Outside of some very inconsequential stuff, I think Lucasfilm is going to restrict any EU material following up on the ST, especially starring main cast. They don't want a repeat of the old EU and a need to de-canonize everything if someone decides to make films in 10 or 20 years following up on these characters. Or make potential Disney+ series' even sooner.

That's probably a big reason for Project Luminous to push into a new era. They've spent 5+ years focused on filling in gaps between RotS and RotJ. So now it's move to an entirely new, unexplored era or spend a lot of time filling in gaps between RotJ and TFA. The former would be a lot more interesting.

Good point. I am still very excited for new era stuff. It's a big universe.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017

The big question I have for JJ is about Snoke. You can say that TLJ went against so many of JJ's ideas he set up in TFA, even if I don't think it's true. You can theorize all you want about what JJ's original intentions were for Rey and Kylo.

But was Snoke always supposed to be a throwaway clone for Palpatine? Was JJ's plan to reveal that he was the Emperor in hiding from the beginning? Did he have other answers for Snoke, but felt TLJ ruined them? Because I don't see how Rian killing Snoke would effect who Snoke is in any way.

The Snoke clones don't answer any questions. They just make me ask more about if JJ had any idea what he wanted Snoke to be from the start.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I read somewhere that while the outline of DOTF was kinda awesome, apparently the dialogue was pretty terrible. (this could be from me in my own head)

Not that TROS was some academy award winning screenplay either.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
But was Snoke always supposed to be a throwaway clone for Palpatine? Was JJ's plan to reveal that he was the Emperor in hiding from the beginning? Did he have other answers for Snoke, but felt TLJ ruined them? Because I don't see how Rian killing Snoke would effect who Snoke is in any way.

I'm sure this isn't like this but in my head, I'm picturing JJ all pouty saying "You wrecked my Mystery Box so I'm going to subvert your subversion. NYAH!"

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
The big question I have for JJ is about Snoke. You can say that TLJ went against so many of JJ's ideas he set up in TFA, even if I don't think it's true. You can theorize all you want about what JJ's original intentions were for Rey and Kylo.

The Snoke clones don't answer any questions. They just make me ask more about if JJ had any idea what he wanted Snoke to be from the start.

Snoke in the jar was just something added during post.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting tweet. Still not sure I believe that one, though.

This is actually an interesting thread. I don't know how in the know this guy is, but this seems to contradict a lot of feelings about TROS.

As my many giant "making of" books can attest, I love behind the scenes stuff. Give me all of it for IX.

Am I the only one who wishes Obi's saber was up for the symmetry? Or do I just have terrible graphic design sense?

I feel like he and Anakin should both be holding their lightsabers up and at an angle towards each other so it looks like they're clashing or almost clashing. It would foreshadow Revenge of the Sith and provide a nice but of symmetry with Ahsoka's sabers below.

I feel like I read somewhere that while the outline of DOTF was kinda awesome, apparently the dialogue was pretty terrible. (this could be from me in my own head)

Not that TROS was some academy award winning screenplay either.

I've been going through the two videos we have of the guy giving a summary of the script and trying to write up a detailed summary. He quotes dialogue from it occasionally (despite saying he does not have the script, he appears to at least still have some pages). It's not bad and occasionally very good, with some clunkers here and there.