• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The big question I have for JJ is about Snoke. You can say that TLJ went against so many of JJ's ideas he set up in TFA, even if I don't think it's true. You can theorize all you want about what JJ's original intentions were for Rey and Kylo.

But was Snoke always supposed to be a throwaway clone for Palpatine? Was JJ's plan to reveal that he was the Emperor in hiding from the beginning? Did he have other answers for Snoke, but felt TLJ ruined them? Because I don't see how Rian killing Snoke would effect who Snoke is in any way.

The Snoke clones don't answer any questions. They just make me ask more about if JJ had any idea what he wanted Snoke to be from the start.

Yeah, I'd kinda love to know this, too. I think it's clear now that, if JJ had been given the entire trilogy, we would have got two more movies that are to ESB and ROTJ what TFA is to ANH, i.e. just a full pseudo-remake of the Original Trilogy following all the major story beats. But I have no idea what his Snoke plan was, and honestly I suspect there wasn't one at all. At least not at the time TFA was being made.

My guess is that once JJ did come up with the idea of Snoke having been Palpatine's puppet, he would have liked for the reveal to have been in Episode VIII so it would have time to breathe. Like, in Snoke's throne room, Sheev would dramatically sashay in from off-camera, cut up Snoke with his own lightsabre, then be like "What's up, losers? It was me all along, by the way Rey you're my granddaughter!", and then that would be the big lead-in to Episode IX.

DramaticYeti

The Fallen
Apr 11, 2018
Atlanta, GA
669a8806d68854efce5a0c1d51b4458d.gif
Damn that's some good art.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I know this will probable never happen, but with the Skywalker Saga over, I would love to see John Williams put together a mega-suite of all the major themes into a concert arrangement.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing John Williams conduct the Cleveland Orchestra in April. I'm hoping against hope for "The Rise of Skywalker" or "Farewell" from Episode IX.

Interesting tweet. Still not sure I believe that one, though.

This is actually an interesting thread. I don't know how in the know this guy is, but this seems to contradict a lot of feelings about TROS.

I totally buy the second tweet. I don't think J.J. pays that much attention to fan reactions, and there is a certain sort of logic to what he did without needing to ascribe it to fan appeasement. And for the first, Jason Ward from Making Star Wars has said something similar.

The pragmatic Palpatines
With Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker J.J. Abrams was tasked with answering our questions and making it make sense. While there were always suggestions of Palpatine, it does not appear as if that was in any way solid until Abrams took over Episode IX.

I have heard that when Abrams began writing Star Wars: Episode IX and it became Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker featuring the return of Darth Sidious aka Palpatine, and an Occam's Razor approach was applied to the backstory of Rey. With the choice to make Rey confront Palaptine it made sense that she was a descendant of Palpatine.

For what it is worth, back in 2014/2015 I was hearing from reputable sources that confirmed that Rey was a "nobody", meaning not a Solo or a Skywalker. At that time, Abrams had a preference for the Palpatine direction. The Last Jedi made it easy to sweep it under the rug and forget about.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Give me all the Diego Luna in this please and ignore everyone else that doesn't want this show:

curb

Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Also, does anyone know what the spoiler policies are for Jedi: Fallen Order? The game's been out for awhile but I'm not sure if we're doing open or tagged spoilers.

I asked a while ago and someone replied saying they hadn't played it yet. I don't know if there's an official thread position on spoilers for it though.

Oct 28, 2017
England
Another interesting 'could've been' moment, Admiral Ackbar was originally going to lead the attack on Scarif, but apparently Lucasfilm didn't want to have him used as a recurring character so soon after TFA. Odd reasoning given the amount of pre-existing characters in RO. Ultimately I'm glad we got an interesting new minor character in Raddus, and it helps to makes the Rebel Alliance's high command feel a little more diverse and shows them suffering some big losses.

Originally Ackbar led the orbital attack over Scarif but JJ had got to him first so he was replaced with Raddus.

Was there anything inspired by Return of the Jedi that you wanted to include in Rogue One but couldn't?

I think they didn't want to over-use him and instead introduce new characters.

Wait. Why couldn't he be in both movies?

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Didn't Disney also want like Summer 2019 and JJ had to convince them to do Winter 2019? I'd balk at that if I was Rian, too. That date was always dumb.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EPE9QFiX4AAc6sz

Apparently Peter Sciretta (from slashfilm) deleted this tweet.

That schedule man...
Yep, pumping them out every 2 years bite them in the ass in the end. They got away with for the first movies but fell at the last. I don't blame Lucasfilm at all for that. That's on Disney and their insane need to get the movies out as quickly as possible.

Did they really think the movies would make less money if they had a 3-year gap?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, pumping them out every 2 years bite them in the ass in the end. They got away with for the first movies but fell at the last. I don't blame Lucasfilm at all for that. That's on Disney and their insane need to get the movies out as quickly as possible.

Did they really think the movies would make less money if they had a 3-year gap?
Lucasfilm not Disney

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
JJ had a little under 3 years to do TFA. Rian had 3.5 on TLJ and Trevorrow would've had about 4 for Duel of the Fates. So the every-two-years schedule really only hit them on TROS, and it shows.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
EPE9QFiX4AAc6sz

That schedule man...

Jason Ward said something similar.

He gave an interesting reason for why he didn't name the director.

There was an ending in a Trevorrow script where his last words to Rey were that her last name was Solana, but it's not a made up last name, it just *happens* to be a combination of Solo and Organa lol.

One of the MakingStarWars reports on Trevorrow and Connolly's Episode IX made it sound like they chose "Solana" because of its meaning in Spanish.

In his last moments, Kylo tells Rey her full name: Rey Solana. (In Spanish, Solana is the side of a mountain where the shadow does not fall.)

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
EPE9QFiX4AAc6sz

That schedule man...

Vince McMahon calm: JJ Abrams' actual completed Episode IX

Vince McMahon impressed: Colin Trevorrow's concept art and half-remembered screenplay for Episode IX

Vince McMahon falling off his chair: Rian Johnson's Episode IX that never existed in any way

Last edited:

curb

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to know what Rian would have done with IX. Even like a paragraph, broad strokes overview.