• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still kinda miffed TLJ didn't get a best pic nom
2017 was a strong year. It didn't deserve it.

Hamill deserved something for best supporting actor, though. It really sucks that all the controversy of this trilogy has buried his incredible performance. He was even better than Ford, who shocked me in TFA after how good he was.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I think as far as public reception goes, Last Jedi came out at a really bad time in-between Blade Runner: 2049 and Infinity War. People are able to appreciate it more now.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
RJ will be robbed if he doesn't win.

The only thing that I could see winning it over Knives Out is Once Upon A Time.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
TLJ will be the SW film that endures, a lot due to the fact that it'll keep getting championed by writers and bloggers. Like, Indiewire put it on their Best of the Decade list, which only included a handful of "nerd genre" films. The critic vs fan divide might be real, but maybe I'm biased in that I believe the continued writing and reanalysis TLJ will give us is likely to keep it with us for a while.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best-movies-of-2010s-decade/the-last-jedi-2/

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
RJ will be robbed if he doesn't win.
Parasite tho

Me tonight if Both RJ and Bong Joon-ho lose

EPUWXCEWAAAaAgd

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would love Rian to win but it's unlikely. Parasite only came out here on Friday but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
It's been months since I've seen Parasite but while great, I don't particularly remember the script being what stood out for me. It was mostly the acting and directing.
I rewatched both this week, and their scripts are so tight. Knives Out obviously has more intricate plotting with twists and reveals, but Parasite's poetic touches with the main characters is masterful. Honestly, having a foreign language film win Best Original Screenplay would be amazing. I'm not sure that's ever happened before.

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I rewatched both this week, and their scripts are so tight. Knives Out obviously has more intricate plotting with twists and reveals, but Parasite's poetic touches with the main characters is masterful. Honestly, having a foreign language film win Best Original Screenplay would be amazing. I'm not sure that's ever happened before.
It won the BAFTA for Best Original Screenplay last week so it doesn't seem that unlikely.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
It won the BAFTA for Best Original Screenplay last week so it doesn't seem that unlikely.
I don't think it's unlikely, but it would still be surprising. American voters are pretty biased toward American movies. The BAFTAs have generally been more welcoming (and generally better) awards than the Oscars. They've given it to foreign language films before. The Brits do it better.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they're improvising that shit lol
?

You can act well and not have a great script and vice versa.

Joaquin Phoenix has been cleaning house this year and will most likely take the Oscar (the film was also great) but the script was just fine. You can also have great directing and have a shit script, just look at Fallen Kingdom for an example. A film being good at one specific thing doesn't mean everything in the film is equally on par.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
While TROS unsurprisingly didn't win any awards tonight, we can be grateful for this gif of KMT rapping

edit: and PARASITE fucking winning, fuck yeah Bong Gang

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Happy birthday!

I got absolutely bodied by those games as a kid; I wonder if I'd be any better at them now.
Happy birthday! 🥳
Happy birthday!

also lol had been playing that on vita and couldn't beat the sarlacc pit for the longest time. Finally figured out you can grind in the level and get a way better blaster. Now I have to figure out what on earth to do in the second level. :p
Thanks guys, I had a great birthday. But yeah I'm much better at Super Star Wars now than well over a decade ago, heck I did an attempt to not die and I almost beat the game without dying as I only had a few stages left(like 3 of them).

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations to Rian Johnson, Kingmaker. Works with Laura Dern -> she wins Best Actress. Works with Adam Driver -> Best Actor nominee. Saw Parasite -> Parasite wins Best Picture. Is there anything he can't do?

Reylo made it to the Oscars

I had to watch this like 20 times before I realised what I was supposed to see.

And then another 20 times when I saw it. Reylo 5ever, OTP, HAE.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Spent the day yesterday at Galaxies Edge and I have to inform you that rise of the resistance is a goddamn masterpiece of a ride. It is an incredible achievement and I had a grin on my face for hours after finishing it.

Also the Star tours visit to Exagol was better than The Rise of Skywalker.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
As happy as I am that we're getting 12 more episodes of The Clone Wars, it pains me that they decided not to animate Son of Dathomir. It was such a good story arc that would have seen Maul's reaction to his successors (Grevious and Dooku) as well as the conflict between the Mandalorians and Separatists.

Not to mention there will now likely be a big narrative gap between the Season 5 Lawless arc and Siege of Mandalore which will likely confuse fans who only watched the show and didn't read the comic.

DramaticYeti

The Fallen
Apr 11, 2018
Atlanta, GA
On the final level of Jedi: Fallen Order now, so major spoilers ahead in the tagged photos below. Enjoy! It's been a blast taking these, with more to come soon.
xMUbyGM.jpg
mIvwjgh.jpg
ibGTyO7.jpg
P9cc2VX.jpg
LwUfieh.jpg

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Finished reading Master & Apprentice. It was enjoyable and it's good to get some Qui-Gon fiction. The many parallels of master and apprentice (Dooku/Jinn + Jinn / Kenobi + Rael/Nim) were pretty interesting as well.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Adam's look is definitely the look of someone who hates the person he's sitting next to

/s

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Listen, y'all know I pretty much despite EU shit. But, I got a free month of Comixology and decided to check out Dr. Aphra. And while it can be a quite humorous series, why exactly do people like this character? She's fucking vile and evil? Like, Jesus fucking CHRIST! Why would anyone want some sort of show centered around someone that crazy and evil?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Listen, y'all know I pretty much despite EU shit. But, I got a free month of Comixology and decided to check out Dr. Aphra. And while it can be a quite humorous series, why exactly do people like this character? She's fucking vile and evil? Like, Jesus fucking CHRIST! Why would anyone want some sort of show centered around someone that crazy and evil?
Yeah, she's the worst. It's awesome!

I'm really into morally fucked up characters, which is why I find her to be so interesting. She's a complete and utter mess from top to bottom.

ket

Jul 27, 2018

She's a refreshing change of pace from the usual good guy SW protags imo

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
An antihero with a cool design (SW Indiana Jones!) who regularly interacts with Darth Vader and has dorky evil takes on C3PO and R2D2. It's pretty much a slam dunk of EU fanservice. I don't keep up with the comic anymore, but I totally get her appeal and find her fun.

Check out the Lando run if you want a quick EU snippet.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, she's the worst. It's awesome!

I'm really into morally fucked up characters, which is why I find her to be so interesting. She's a complete and utter mess from top to bottom.

She's a refreshing change of pace from the usual good guy SW protags imo

LOL, I prefer my SW characters to at least be trying to work towards doing good.

Have you tried reading Knights of the Old Republic? Really great series with great characters, and it's totally its own thing separate from any of the movies.

I've never read the Aphra stuff myself.

You mean the old Legends material? Tales of the Jedi? Or is this some new run?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She's not that bad, and she does try to do good.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
She's not that bad, and she does try to do good.

She is that bad, and she doesn't try to be good. She thinks about it and then proceeds to do the exact opposite. She's a psycho monster.

It's a Legends series that started in 2006 that takes place during the Mandalorian War before the games and with its own cast.

latest

Never read it, I read the old Tales of Jedi and really enjoyed those stores. But, I'm trying to read current *barf* canon material.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I mean, keep your expectations low with most of the comics. Like the main SW run is pretty bad mostly with some occasional fun. But most people agree on what the "good" canon material is: Lando, Darth Vader, Alphabet Squadron, Master & Apprentice, Aftermath Trilogy, TCW, Rebels. But if you don't like the EU, that's fine.