• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It is.

The Knights of Ren leader is written super casual for some reason, I'm not a fan. His voice doesn't fit the setting at all.

I could see that, but as someone who hasn't actually read the comics and basically only knows the guy from out-of-context screencaps posted on Twitter, I kind of like him :P

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ren is totally young Val Kilmer

gVJcIR6.jpg

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that this thread is very positive and embraces love of the 'Wars, including about TROS. We focus on what we love. Not what we hate.

Thank you DiipuSurotu for keeping most of your negativity in etcetra and not here lol.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? What's with the ad hominem? o.O
You post a lot of SW threads that bring out the hate brigade against TROS, I am just saying thank you that don't post that stuff here so we can remain positive, TROS included.

I am glad we don't have the 'lololol TROS is trash #giveusDOTTF" stupid nonsense in this thread we see outside of hangouts, its nice and positive about *all* of the films. It's peaceful and nice to have a place to enjoy the full Star Wars canon.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
maybe don't uncritically follow or share the content of SRS, a man who made an account for the sole purpose of dogpiling others. who has a history of sharing fake joke takes from antis, out of context shitposts and has divulged the twitter handles of teenagers struggling with suicidal thoughts to his thousands of followers in order to incite suicide-baiting and harassment. oh, and he's an alt-right racist who's in with TFM and uses the n-word too. he doesn't care about boyega, his hobby is harassing women and Star Wars fandom just happened to be his chosen target. criticise the shit boyega gets without propping up an even more toxic bigot.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You post a lot of SW threads that bring out the hate brigade against TROS, I am just saying thank you that don't post that stuff here so we can remain positive, TROS included.

I am glad we don't have the 'lololol TROS is trash #giveusDOTTF" stupid nonsense in this thread we see outside of hangouts, its nice and positive about *all* of the films. It's peaceful and nice to have a place to enjoy the full Star Wars canon.
Oh, I do love the ST as a whole. And also Rogue One which is criminally underrated and often forgotten.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hardcore Reylo's like to talk about how the Fandom Menace bullies people (which they obviously do, horrible racist and sexist attacks nonstop) but man the hardcore Reylo's really say awful vile shit about Boyega.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I missed posting lists?!

I couldn't stop at ten so here are my top twenty moments of the sequel trilogy. I cheated with number one, but if I didn't then TLJ would dominate the entire top ten.
  1. The Battle of Crait (almost the entire fourth act of TLJ)
  2. The saber catch
  3. TLJ false climax (execution/tug of war/Holdo maneuver)
  4. Rey's introduction
  5. The Jedi Steps
  6. Finn leads the revolution on Coruscant
  7. Yoda and Luke
  8. Killing Snoke
  9. Lesson two
  10. Tusken Rey
  11. The Jakku escape
  12. Touching hands
  13. Luke's life on Ahch To
  14. Rey arrives on Modesta
  15. Han's death
  16. Broom boy
  17. The Supremacy attacks
  18. Hux seppuku
  19. Resistance bombing run
  20. Lesson one

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
How much time do you have?

I spent like two hours a couple weeks ago typing up a thread about antis and then never posted it.

Maybe you'll appreciate this article from a data analyst who sampled tweets and various posts to breakdown some ways anti culture manifests https://medium.com/@KMMcCort/when-s...oticed-what-does-it-say-about-us-930cccb683e0 edit: lol Einchy got there first

It uses reylo as the focus, someone sent me this to show the strong similarities to stuff we've seen in non-SW fandom. This goes beyond any one fan community. Just a few short weeks ago, a teenage fanartist in the JoJo fandom attempted suicide due to rampant abuse for liking and drawing the 'wrong' characters. I worry where this is all headed.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's this massive article that goes over the anti Reylo stuff.

Maybe you'll appreciate this article from a data analyst who sampled tweets and various posts to breakdown some ways anti culture manifests https://medium.com/@KMMcCort/when-s...oticed-what-does-it-say-about-us-930cccb683e0

It uses reylo as the focus, someone sent me this to show the strong similarities to stuff we've seen in non-SW fandom. This goes beyond any one fan community. Just a few short weeks ago, a teenage fanartist in the JoJo fandom attempted suicide due to rampant abuse for liking and drawing the 'wrong' characters. I worry where this is all headed.

I read this when it was first written and it's generally a good read, although I disagree somewhat with their conclusion -- antis are overwhelmingly young women with misplaced progressive priorities, but the article is sort of misleadingly portraying them as sexist Gamergate-style men who hate women, presumably because the author (a Reylo) wants to portray themselves as the victim of a sexist harassment campaign instead of a ship war run amok.

curb

Oct 27, 2017

Things like this are terrifying to me as a parent. I was bullied for my size growing up in the 80s but it seems like almost nothing compared to how horrendous online life can be for some people these days. I want to believe that people are decent but often "the internet" makes me think otherwise.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I read this when it was first written and it's generally a good read, although I disagree somewhat with their conclusion -- antis are overwhelmingly young women with misplaced progressive priorities, but the article is sort of misleadingly portraying them as sexist Gamergate-style men who hate women, presumably because the author (a Reylo) wants to portray themselves as the victim of a sexist harassment campaign instead of a ship war run amok.

I think GG/TFM/male-dominated hate movements have sometimes adopted antis methods of framing their posts as moral concerns (when it suits them.) 'SadGeorgeLucas1' a TFM figure was the #1 most frequent tweeter in the 3 day period covered in the article. They sometimes employed the same kind of language (incel, abuse, etc) as drhorowitzfine, another frequent tweeter and finnrey shipper. The lines are increasingly blurring, and when the outcome is people being doxxed and harming themselves, I don't think it matters much whether the perpetrator was a young woman who thinks abuse is the solution to seeing material that makes her uncomfortable, or a man who thinks abuse is the solution to struggling with the fact that women are increasingly partaking in previously male-dominated spaces. Both groups use each other to attain the same end result: the 'undesirable' group is removed from fandom spaces.

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I bet nobody can guess what my favourite film of the trilogy is.

1. A final lesson from Yoda

giphy.gif

Luke's reunion with Yoda is one of my favourite scenes of the saga and what could have been a 'fan-service' cameo is much more than that. Yoda's dialogue is perfect – reinforcing the theme of the film with charm to boot - and as he did so well in Empire, Mark completely sells an emotional scene with a pointy-eared, green puppet.

2. Facing down the First Order

tumblr_p5h3hz7eTp1wk3b91o3_540.gifv

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack." Watching Luke step out on to the salt flats of Crait in defiance of the First Order never gets old. After witnessing the depths of despair to which he'd sank, I found Luke's sacrifice really powerful and the perfect end for his character. "The Spark" and "The Last Jedi" elevated this sequence significantly too.

3. Rey claims the Skywalker saber

source.gif

A new hero has arrived. After Finn's valiant effort to stop Kylo, the trilogy's hero steps up to the plate. She's uncertain and afraid but she faces Kylo regardless. The reuse of "Binary Sunset" worked perfectly with the scene.

I love you Mark but thank god it wasn't Luke.

4. A new alliance

tumblr_pgpnmqLqS61xz4q4mo1_540.gif

The throne room battle is my favourite lightsaber-oriented action scene (I guess I can't call it a duel!) of the sequel trilogy. I loved the red motif throughout The Last Jedi and it was especially striking in this scene. Andy Serkis is delightfully wicked as a much-improved Snoke. Kylo flicking the saber towards Rey was a satisfying pay-off after they grew closer throughout the film. I also liked how the choreographers continued to highlight Kylo's physicality in battle. His style is different to anything we've seen before: punching, kicking and throwing Praetorian guards all over the place. It was fun.

5. The Holdo maneuver

e13dddb9e9721651.gif

Wiping the slimy smirk off Hux's face, saving what's left of the Resistance and creating one of the most striking moments of the entire saga in one sweep: it's a win-win. The use of silence after the initial collision was so effective.

6. Kylo kills Han

giphy.webp

We know how this ends. Han isn't getting off the bridge alive and that knowledge makes the scene all the more effective. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope for Ben…but as shadow falls over Starkiller Base, we know his choice is made. I loved Harrison's performance in TFA and both he and Adam really sold this scene. Chewie's cry of anguish still hurts me man.

7. Luke gives Rey her first lesson

tumblr_p5f98fWt911wp6h82o3_500.gifv

"The island. Life. Death and decay, that feeds new life. Warmth. Cold. Peace. Violence."
"And between it all?"
"Balance and energy. A force."

Second only to Yoda's explanation of the Force in Empire, Rey and Luke's dialogue concisely summarises the magic of the Force and mixes that with one of the funniest moments of the film. I loved the flashes to different parts of the island as Rey reaches out. I would have happily spent more time at the first Jedi temple too. That cave looked cozy.

8. Rey returns the favour

ld6xdrbkahtsja4d2rsd.gif

After Ben passed the saber to Rey in The Last Jedi, she returns the favour so that he can defend himself against the Knights of Ren. I wasn't a fan of everything that got us here, but this moment really worked for me. After Rian set up their bond in The Last Jedi, Rey using their connection to help Ben defend himself was a satisfying pay-off. Ben's shrug made me smile as well.

9. Chewie & Rey distract the First Order

giphy.gif

This scene is the distillation of many of the things I love about Star Wars. There are so many satisfying little moments. It was like a set of dominoes falling into each other. The shot of the Falcon's shadow on the surface of Crait as it swoops to the rescue. Poe and Finn celebrating as it draws off the TIEs. Kylo's increasing frustration at that persistent piece of junk. Chewie's fancy flying and irritation at the distracting porg and Rey's theme triumphant on top of it all. Lovely stuff.

10. Paige destroys the Fulminatrix

tumblr_pgifjh2p0G1v6svn5o6_500.gifv

I thought Poe's initial assault on the Fulminatrix and the bombing run had an energy that some of the other space combat scenes in the trilogy really lacked (looking at you Exegol!). It was our first and last time spending any time with her character but Paige's determination was endearing and the slow trek from the bombers' arrival to the drop zone really upped the tension. The release of the bombs wasn't just a relief for Paige but I was wiping sweat off my brow too. Shout out to Captain Canady too. You failed and got burnt to a crisp but I liked you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
How is it that TLJ can be such a gooood looking movie? Watching it in a theater was incredible because it was just so aesthetically pleasing.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I bet nobody can guess what my favourite film of the trilogy is.

1. A final lesson from Yoda

giphy.gif

Luke's reunion with Yoda is one of my favourite scenes of the saga and what could have been a 'fan-service' cameo is much more than that. Yoda's dialogue is perfect – reinforcing the theme of the film with charm to boot - and as he did so well in Empire, Mark completely sells an emotional scene with a pointy-eared, green puppet.

2. Facing down the First Order

tumblr_p5h3hz7eTp1wk3b91o3_540.gifv

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack." Watching Luke step out on to the salt flats of Crait in defiance of the First Order never gets old. After witnessing the depths of despair to which he'd sank, I found Luke's sacrifice really powerful and the perfect end for his character. "The Spark" and "The Last Jedi" elevated this sequence significantly too.

3. Rey claims the Skywalker saber

source.gif

A new hero has arrived. After Finn's valiant effort to stop Kylo, the trilogy's hero steps up to the plate. She's uncertain and afraid but she faces Kylo regardless. The reuse of "Binary Sunset" worked perfectly with the scene.

I love you Mark but thank god it wasn't Luke.

4. A new alliance

tumblr_pgpnmqLqS61xz4q4mo1_540.gif

The throne room battle is my favourite lightsaber-oriented action scene (I guess I can't call it a duel!) of the sequel trilogy. I loved the red motif throughout The Last Jedi and it was especially striking in this scene. Andy Serkis is delightfully wicked as a much-improved Snoke. Kylo flicking the saber towards Rey was a satisfying pay-off after they grew closer throughout the film. I also liked how the choreographers continued to highlight Kylo's physicality in battle. His style is different to anything we've seen before: punching, kicking and throwing Praetorian guards all over the place. It was fun.

5. The Holdo maneuver

e13dddb9e9721651.gif

Wiping the slimy smirk off Hux's face, saving what's left of the Resistance and creating one of the most striking moments of the entire saga in one sweep: it's a win-win. The use of silence after the initial collision was so effective.

6. Kylo kills Han

giphy.webp

We know how this ends. Han isn't getting off the bridge alive and that knowledge makes the scene all the more effective. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope for Ben…but as shadow falls over Starkiller Base, we know his choice is made. I loved Harrison's performance in TFA and both he and Adam really sold this scene. Chewie's cry of anguish still hurts me man.

7. Luke gives Rey her first lesson

tumblr_p5f98fWt911wp6h82o3_500.gifv

"The island. Life. Death and decay, that feeds new life. Warmth. Cold. Peace. Violence."
"And between it all?"
"Balance and energy. A force."

Second only to Yoda's explanation of the Force in Empire, Rey and Luke's dialogue concisely summarises the magic of the Force and mixes that with one of the funniest moments of the film. I loved the flashes to different parts of the island as Rey reaches out. I would have happily spent more time at the first Jedi temple too. That cave looked cozy.

8. Rey returns the favour

ld6xdrbkahtsja4d2rsd.gif

After Ben passed the saber to Rey in The Last Jedi, she returns the favour so that he can defend himself against the Knights of Ren. I wasn't a fan of everything that got us here, but this moment really worked for me. After Rian set up their bond in The Last Jedi, Rey using their connection to help Ben defend himself was a satisfying pay-off. Ben's shrug made me smile as well.

9. Chewie & Rey distract the First Order

giphy.gif

This scene is the distillation of many of the things I love about Star Wars. There are so many satisfying little moments. It was like a set of dominoes falling into each other. The shot of the Falcon's shadow on the surface of Crait as it swoops to the rescue. Poe and Finn celebrating as it draws off the TIEs. Kylo's increasing frustration at that persistent piece of junk. Chewie's fancy flying and irritation at the distracting porg and Rey's theme triumphant on top of it all. Lovely stuff.

10. Paige destroys the Fulminatrix

tumblr_pgifjh2p0G1v6svn5o6_500.gifv

I thought Poe's initial assault on the Fulminatrix and the bombing run had an energy that some of the other space combat scenes in the trilogy really lacked (looking at you Exegol!). It was our first and last time spending any time with her character but Paige's determination was endearing and the slow trek from the bombers' arrival to the drop zone really upped the tension. The release of the bombs wasn't just a relief for Paige but I was wiping sweat off my brow too. Shout out to Captain Canady too. You failed and got burnt to a crisp but I liked you.
This is basically my list, too! I'd probably put the throne room and bombing run higher, but otherwise that's exactly mine.

Bros. ✊

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Seriously, this moment is when I knew in theaters that Rian had landed it. Just top notch quick storytelling with perfect visuals. Maybe the best "prologue" in the entire franchise.

tumblr_p5fwv6yiR01w65kiso6_540.gif

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Now I can see why people would like TLJ the best of the ST, it has most of the best moments. I wish it was as consistent as TFA though. Though the hate for TLJ still blows my mind to this day. Even when I 1st saw it I didn't hate it and it got better on rewatch for me.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Instead, who knows what SW movies will do next, but I think a lot of them could be safer.

Well I think not having to deal with legacy characters will make it easier to do different things. I honestly think that if Luke were another Jedi in TLJ who didn't have to contend with the old EU stories and decades of people making up the things he would do - a lot of TLJ criticism would have been a little quieter.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Well I think not having to deal with legacy characters will make it easier to do different things. I honestly think that if Luke were another Jedi in TLJ who didn't have to contend with the old EU stories and decades of people making up the things he would do - a lot of TLJ criticism would have been a little quieter.
They could be different, but at the same time I think they want to not too far out until later on. I mean who knows when the next Star Wars movie is coming so I guess safe 1st and then go far out later on.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder what Lucasfilm wants tonely going forward with Star Wars.

Will their movies be more Rian Johnson-esque films or more straight forward blockbusters?

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
They could be different, but at the same time I think they want to not too far out until later on. I mean who knows when the next Star Wars movie is coming so I guess safe 1st and then go far out later on.

That sounds like TFA to TLJ :P. I do wonder if TROS might not in a way get them to focus way more on quality and a more proper fanservice the next time around. I think TROS being too safe might be a good thing going forward. But I'm often too optimistic.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It'll never happen but a tell all book that coniciles everything that has gone on with Lucasfilm between their buyout to now would be amazing. So much drama with the directors even going back to Josh Trank, to all the reshuffling of projects.

What did KK, D&D and RJ talk about when they had that meeting back in mid 2019 only for D&D to drop out a few months later.

I mean, make THAT a film, Lucasfilm.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
How much safer can they go after Solo and Tros tho?

And TFA? While we're at it, Rogue One is a fairly straightforward path to a very Star Wars-y space battle. To me, TLJ is the only Disney era SW film that's even attempted to try something different tone-wise or take things in a different direction (which wasn't even all that different in the end).

As I think of it, the only big difference to me with TLJ, is it's less blatant with its fan service.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like TFA to TLJ :P. I do wonder if TROS might not in a way get them to focus way more on quality and a more proper fanservice the next time around. I think TROS being too safe might be a good thing going forward. But I'm often too optimistic.
Yeah, TROS going too safe was a problem, but that movie has a lot of other problems that make it one of my least fave of the Disney SW movies. A repeat of TFA to TLJ would be crazy though.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
It'll never happen but a tell all book that coniciles everything that has gone on with Lucasfilm between their buyout to now would be amazing. So much drama with the directors even going back to Josh Trank, to all the reshuffling of projects.

I laughed. Though he was the most "bullet-dodged" of the departures, in retrospect. There's the obvious stuff like his F4 issues, but who knows if we even would have gotten Mandalorian had his Boba Fett project gone into production.

The closest thing we have to a tell-all is that JW Rinzler Making of TFA book that got finished but shelved for ~reasons~. Oh, what I'd give to have that see the light of day....

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed. Though he was the most "bullet-dodged" of the departures, in retrospect. There's the obvious stuff like his F4 issues, but who knows if we even would have gotten Mandalorian had his Boba Fett project gone into production.

The closest thing we have to a tell-all is that JW Rinzler Making of TFA book that got finished but shelved for ~reasons~. Oh, what I'd give to have that see the light of day....
Yeah, I really doubt Mando ever happens with Josh Trank's Boba Fett movie happens.

Josh Tank's messiness on set gave us Baby Yoda.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still hopeful for an RJ trilogy or set of movies. But I guess he's in on Knives Out right now. Maybe that timing isn't bad because they're giving the mainline SW a break for a couple years.