• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Knives Out 2 will just be all his Star Wars ideas but on Earth.
vCUQG7zZktO4NOCLUQdJZOW_lqUvBijep2GsZY9cV8G04YCrEkZAJCZC2M_5mRWST9neTWDipPak-ISFuhXjPR2Ug6l_76DlqjE1jzijGWsGXZBgNKMkzMBlPuj-L7dwQ4fIsilkXoYcJ-4dJaTPWhrwBfkkZnb8GA8jMtQectERJCtCaycXNk3c_Dw1gcjCWcUpWkee-sOsElCnpEcfHjiCemzgVds1c4Y

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Steve Yedlin > Dan Mindel
I've seen Knives Out and done a university essay/presentation on Steve Yedlin's TLJ cinematography and yeah I'd probably say he's better, but I really like the kinetic energy of Dan Mindel's cinematography too. People joked about the lens flares but Star Trek was trendsetting. TFA looks excellent and I'm excited to get TROS on digital.

rWvCkyI.jpg

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Bradford Young is probably the most talented DP to ever work on Star Wars, imo. It's just too bad he had such a messy production to work with. But his body of work is pretty undeniable.

Pariah, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, A Most Violent Year, Arrival, Selma. Like, geez.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favourite shots in the whole ST is the very beginning of TFA, where the First Order Star Destroyer comes scything up from the bottom of the screen to slice the planet in two, and just before it entirely obscures it in blackness you see all those trooper dropships come zooming out. It's gorgeous, and it's a nice little visual metaphor for the dark overtaking the light.

RFZNP.gif

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite shots in the whole ST is the very beginning of TFA, where the First Order Star Destroyer comes scything up from the bottom of the screen to slice the planet in two, and just before it entirely obscures it in blackness you see all those trooper dropships come zooming out. It's gorgeous, and it's a nice little visual metaphor for the dark overtaking the light.

RFZNP.gif
Yeah that part is great.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

RFZNP.gif

It's a great shot, but I can't unsee the prow of the ship giving us the middle finger

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

RFZNP.gif
Also the front of the ship having the shape of Kylo Ren's lightsaber

How much safer can they go after Solo and Tros tho?
Recasting Harrison Ford, a Star Wars movie with no Jedi or lightsabers (save in a holo at the end), no Darth Vader, much lower stakes than we're used to. I wouldn't call Solo safe.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Bradford Young is probably the most talented DP to ever work on Star Wars, imo. It's just too bad he had such a messy production to work with. But his body of work is pretty undeniable.

Pariah, Ain't Them Bodies Saints, A Most Violent Year, Arrival, Selma. Like, geez.
The cinematography of Solo is really (and understandably) under appreciated because of how dark it is. It's maybe the most natural looking Star Wars movie.

M5cXoir.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Dim light bulbs fucked over Solo so much.

There's a lot of scenes that aren't light super bright and are super subtle, so if your TV isn't calibreted well or your theater was being cheap, you ain't seein' shit.

Proxima's scene is a perfect example. On my first viewing, I had no issue seeing anything. Second viewing? I could barely make out anything.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Dim light bulbs fucked over Solo so much.

There's a lot of scenes that aren't light super bright and are super subtle, so if your TV isn't calibreted well or your theater was being cheap, you ain't seein' shit.

Proxima's scene is a perfect example. On my first viewing, I had no issue seeing anything. Second viewing? I could barely make out anything.
3D glasses just made it even worse too. It really should have been graded a little lighter.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
The cinematography of Solo is really (and understandably) under appreciated because of how dark it is. It's maybe the most natural looking Star Wars movie.

M5cXoir.jpg
The Solo projection debacle is so messed up because everybody knows Bradford Young understands lighting. The dude has been praised so much for understanding how to light and shoot darker skin tones. He's so talented and needs another shot at a mainstream blockbuster if he wants it.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen Knives Out and done a university essay/presentation on Steve Yedlin's TLJ cinematography and yeah I'd probably say he's better, but I really like the kinetic energy of Dan Mindel's cinematography too. People joked about the lens flares but Star Trek was trendsetting. TFA looks excellent and I'm excited to get TROS on digital.

rWvCkyI.jpg
Did you think TROS looked kind of wack? It was like Lindel cranked up all of his stylistic flourishes to 11; the whip pans, the lens flare, the candy coated color grading. But then he forgot to make it look like a Star Wars movie? There is nothing in TROS like the slow, slightly wobbly shot of Rey's speeder tearing across the Jakku wasteland.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The Solo projection debacle is so messed up because everybody knows Bradford Young understands lighting. The dude has been praised so much for understanding how to light and shoot darker skin tones. He's so talented and needs another shot at a mainstream blockbuster if he wants it.
It's sad too that Alden hasn't gotten any movie work since Solo.

Did you think TROS looked kind of wack? It was like Lindel cranked up all of his stylistic flourishes to 11; the whip pans, the lens flare, the candy coated color grading. But then he forgot to make it look like a Star Wars movie? There is nothing in TROS like the slow, slightly wobbly shot of Rey's speeder tearing across the Jakku wasteland.
Well there's definitely a lot of whip pans and fast movement, especially in sequences like the desert chase on Pasaana. And I would say that it was more style and flash over being thoughtful (a little like the movie?), with less memorable shots. Never did I think it looked wrong for a Star Wars movie though. The opening scene on Exogol in particular was excellent. It definitely has a very strong visual identity, a lot of blue, like how TLJ used red.

Ironically, TLJ has a ton of JJ lens flares too.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Rewatched Rogue One yesterday, I can now at least say TROS is the worst Disney film. RO is still poo, but it's at least settles into competent trash by the end. Plus, the cinematography is great all around especially the montages each time the Death Star fires. But yeah, the characters all still suck and the story bare bones.

I found it god-awful, much like the film. The constant stylistic flourishes actually took me out of the film, it's like the film realized they had nothing and was trying to trick you that something good was happening with fancy camera movements but all it did was draw further attention to have divorced it was from anything.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

I love this dude. Classic Star Wars bit character; he's only in the movie for like 30 seconds but he gives such a memorable performance, and I love his name (Captain Canady). That expression on his face when he realises he's been beaten by some insane gambit from a Resistance flyboy is a 10/10.

Mark Lewis Jones is one of those classic 'That Guy' character actors who shows up in everything. I looked him up on IMDb recently after seeing him in Carnival Row, and I was surprised to find he also plays Letho in The Witcher 2 and 3.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good explanation for the force.
UsAkBpI.png

uHjSho3.png

The rise of kylo ren comic is still going with "Ben didn't do as many wrong things as he could've and thus deserved redemption" angle. Like, those final issues need to go ham and align with him reaching this point:
tumblr_odir8cum361v42jzoo3_400.gifv

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ben apparently did cause the destruction of the Jedi temple, despite some misconceptions circulating about how he wasn't

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You, considering that Luke would apparently sent his students on missions or something if the survivors were offworld. They could create an entire show around that. Maybe something hella small scale and character focused compared to the bombast of the CW since Luke's jedi were hella lowkey.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Amazing.

You, considering that Luke would apparently sent his students on missions or something if the survivors were offworld. They could create an entire show around that. Maybe something hella small scale and character focused compared to the bombast of the CW since Luke's jedi were hella lowkey.

I'd prefer if we left this time period well alone. The ST, especially TROS, has just completely ruined it. I don't ever want to see Luke's Jedi Academy, The Adventures of the New Jedi, The Escapades of the Knights of Ren, The Secret Creation of Snoke and the Shadow of Sidious, Han Solo and the Kani Kulb Gambit, etc. Screw all of that. I'm not interested.

Time to move far from the OT and tell some new stories.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer if we left this time period well alone. The ST, especially TROS, has just completely ruined it. I don't ever want to see Luke's Jedi Academy, The Adventures of the New Jedi, The Escapades of the Knights of Ren, The Secret Creation of Snoke and the Shadow of Sidious, Han Solo and the Kani Kulb Gambit, etc. Screw all of that. I'm not interested.

Time to move far from the OT and tell some new stories.
Not so coincidentally all three of the Kylo Ren writer's projects have included references to the "High Republic" period.
Not a big fan of this honestly as it doesn't really match up with George's view. Or the movies.
George gave us midichlorians and chosen one prophecies. I fundamentally disagree with the idea of the force as something where the most powerful have the best genetics ala Naruto. It works best as a metaphor for one's belief in themselves which can and should extend to bloodlines not meaning jack in the literal sense.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
George gave us midichlorians and chosen one prophecies. I fundamentally disagree with the idea of the force as something where the most powerful have the best genetics ala Naruto. It works best as a metaphor for one's belief in themselves which can and should extend to bloodlines not meaning jack in the literal sense.
Well, I get that but that's definitely the way it was written, with Luke specifically meant to be just as powerful as Anakin would have been before his injuries, and I'd prefer something as major as the Force be kept in line with George's view.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
100000% agree.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I get that but that's definitely the way it was written, with Luke specifically meant to be just as powerful as Anakin would have been before his injuries, and I'd prefer something as major as the Force be kept in line with George's view.

Yet Anakin in his prime lost to Obi-Wan? Are to assume the Kenobi bloodline was even more powerful?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The force shouldn't be about power levels.

Luke bested Vader because the latter was conflicted and didn't wanna kill his son or see them turn to the darkside is a way more powerful story than Luke had a higher power level in ROTJ. The idea of force power levels doesn't even make sense as the post above says. Obi-wan bested Anakin. Obi-wan bested Maul as a padawan, the dude who had just killed his master. George signed of on everything Dave wanted to do with the CW, which was adamant about the force being much more than just a pissing contest between genetic power levels and used as something that enhances the narrative.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The force shouldn't be about power levels.

Luke bested Vader because the latter was conflicted and didn't wanna kill his son or see them turn to the darkside is a way more powerful story than Luke had a higher power level in ROTJ. The idea of force power levels doesn't even make sense as the post above says. Obi-wan bested Anakin. Obi-wan bested Maul as a padawan, the dude who had just killed his master. George signed of on everything Dave wanted to do with the CW, which was adamant about the force being much more than just a pissing contest between genetic power levels and used as something that enhances the narrative.
It's pretty pointless to argue against powerlevels in the movies when that's absolutely the way George intended it.

And of course Anakin didn't beat Obi-Wan because of power levels. Anakin made an overconfident move that Obi-Wan knew he would make and was prepared for. It had nothing to do with power. It doesn't mean that Anakin wasn't more powerful than Obi-Wan, which he was.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Not so coincidentally all three of the Kylo Ren writer's projects have included references to the "High Republic" period.

The question is whether this is some Lucasfilm directive for the future films or just for EU stuff which directors will subsequently ignore to tell their own stories? I find it far more likely it teases a new line of comics and books dealing with the era than Lucasfilm telling directors that they will make a High Republic film. I really don't give a shit about the High Republic. Stop going backwards and go forward.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The question is whether this is some Lucasfilm directive for the future films or just for EU stuff which directors will subsequently ignore to tell their own stories? I find it far more likely it teases a new line of comics and books dealing with the era than Lucasfilm telling directors that they will make a High Republic film. I really don't give a shit about the High Republic. Stop going backwards and go forward.
I really like the premise that it was a time where communication was nowhere near as "refined" as it was and that the outer rim was the equivalent of the unknown regions.

It's pretty pointless to argue against powerlevels in the movies when that's absolutely the way George intended it.
No it wasn't until he made the prequels and even then it didn't actually hold up when Anakin lost to Obi-wan and Palpatine lost to Dooku.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Luke is powerful like Anakin because he started out with his door more open than the average.

The Force does not belong to the Jedi.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
No it wasn't until he made the prequels
Even if that were true, you can't use prequel duels (Anakin v Obi-Wan, Maul v Obi-Wan) as examples and then argue this.

Palpatine lost to Dooku.
Is this a Clone Wars thing?

Luke is powerful like Anakin because he started out with his door more open than the average.

The Force does not belong to the Jedi.
The second part is true.

Last edited:

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
If there's a 2022 film, you have to imagine that everything is basically ready to go--even casting.

They'll need something major for celebration---if they wait until then I think we'll get pretty much the whole shabang--actor lineup, director, maybe a teaser.

Oct 28, 2017
England
Is this a Clone Wars thing?

Don't forget that George was very much involved with The Clone Wars. Everything in there, from it's musings on the Force to the Mortis arc is just as much a part as "George's view" as the movies. You can't really say what is and isn't his vision without including them. Just listen to Filoni himself talk about Lucas' contribution to the show and the Force:

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
George Lucas openly stole from Christian and Buddhist theology and then retrofitted it to fit an Arthurian legend.

I'm not a believer that Lucas should have sole ownership over how the Force works when its foundation is off the backs of thousands of years of culture and theological studies. The changing whims of a twenty something kid from California wanting to make Flash Gordon.

The author is dead, and spirituality is democratized. The Force belongs to the people, not Kings and princes. Keep up, George.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yet Anakin in his prime lost to Obi-Wan? Are to assume the Kenobi bloodline was even more powerful?
"The duel will explain how Obi-Wan is able to defeat his protege, even though Anakin has been established as the most powerful Jedi who ever lived. Obi-Wan taught Anakin and Anakin has gone past him. But when you get to that duel, it's emotional. That's where the mistake will be made."- Nick Gillard

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Obi-Wan knows all of Anakin's moves, he's been training him for 10 years+. Any other Jedi would be dead, but Kenobi has that special advantage.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
In Binge Mode they brought up a George Lucas quote which blew my mind. He explained that anyone can use the Force, it's just that some people actually make an effort to do it. Which is honestly so much BS 'cus not once in the entirety of the six films he worked on or the billion episodes of Clone Wars is this expressed at all. It's actually shown to be the complete opposite.

Love George but that man is the ultimate unreliable narrator. lol

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Anakin losing in the prequels is the exact reasoning that powerlevels don't actually matter and shouldn't matter when the narrative itself is at sake.
Of course power levels don't automatically determine who's going to win a fight. The rebel vs empire conflict is David vs Goliath, the rebels destroy the Death Star because they find a weakness. Anakin is still canonically the most powerful Jedi of his time even if he loses to Obi-Wan. I don't see how this can be up for debate.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It was so frustrating how dark Solo was in our movie theater, we couldn't see shit for the first fifteen minutes or so lol.