• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The Exegol space battle being kinda off to the side (relative to the character drama) isn't really surprising given that JJ did the exact same thing with Starkiller Base in TFA

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Where's everyone getting their 4K TROS from? I'm not really into steelbooks, but what's the consensus best design?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember the blue tint being that bad in the theater, especially in Kylo's quarters
I don't think it changed from theatrical to home release, it's probably less noticeable when you're watching the whole movie at once and get used to the white balance.

More comparisons between trailers and the movie:

0fl9bCI.jpg

4dp4Bka.jpg

Where's everyone getting their 4K TROS from? I'm not really into steelbooks, but what's the consensus best design?
The Target version looks by far the best to me but I can't get it in Canada. I may even wait for it on Disney+ considering how fast Frozen II came.

GUEST_92850648-e3e2-4418-83d5-4762f619dbf4

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
When Kylo touches the helmet, he gets flashbacks of Luke and Han. Originally, these flashbacks were going to happen when Kylo touches the holocron on Mustafar, before hearing the Emperor call to him. I don't think that this scene originally was meant to be intercut with Rey's training too.

Would have been a perfect moment for Luke to show up and tell Kylo that this is where the dark side leads to, then to go to the board room and still hear Luke's voice.

G3C25js.jpg

I think there probably would have been more Luke in this movie if they weren't planning on having him fight the Emperor in the end.

Last edited:

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Exegol space battle being kinda off to the side (relative to the character drama) isn't really surprising given that JJ did the exact same thing with Starkiller Base in TFA

The problem is that JJ gives the movie a big "the cavalry has arrived" scene, with the biggest fleet we've ever seen in SW.... and then you don't see the battle. Talk about getting blue balled.

That would be like in Avengers Endgame after the portals scene, we don't get a big fight with all the characters.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that JJ gives the movie a big "the cavalry has arrived" scene, with the biggest fleet we've ever seen in SW.... and then you don't see the battle. Talk about getting blue balled.

That would be like in Avengers Endgame after the portals scene, we don't get a big fight with all the characters.
I think having a Dunkirk moment with the galaxy coming together is perfect, but aside from Poe and Lando we don't really have any attachment to the characters. Bringing in actual Force ghosts instead of just voices would have been its Portals moment, while Finn with a lightsabers leads rebel stormtroopers charging on board a star destroyer.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for a 4K saga boxset for a long time but I can't justify spending $370 CAD for slightly better quality than what's on Disney+. That's almost as the Xbox One X I just bought.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think having a Dunkirk moment with the galaxy coming together is perfect, but aside from Poe and Lando we don't really have any attachment to the characters. Bringing in actual Force ghosts instead of just voices would have been its Portals moment, while Finn with a lightsabers leads rebel stormtroopers charging on board a star destroyer.

Like I said, should have done what the novelization did.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've been waiting for a 4K saga boxset for a long time but I can't justify spending $370 CAD for slightly better quality than what's on Disney+. That's almost as the Xbox One X I just bought.
If you can watch the films in 4k/HDR already on plus you should just save your money. It probably looks ever so slightly better on disc but it ain't worth it, man.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, should have done what the novelization did.
It's a very small minority who know or care about those characters though

If you can watch the films in 4k/HDR already on plus you should just save your money. It probably looks ever so slightly better on disc but it ain't worth it, man.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking

Bizarrely they're in Dolby Vision on + and not in the box set.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
I don't even think the Dunkirk moment needed EU characters but it would have been nice if they actually let us see any of the ships properly. The Naboo starfighter would have been cool to actually see outside of combing through frames on the internet later on. Nice callback to wrap the saga together a lil'.

The shittiest part of that whole sequence is Lando's behind it. I love Lando but he has nothing to do with this trilogy really, should have been one of our new cast.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Even before the movie came out, I was in here championing seeing EU characters. Sure, only a few people would've really cared but, I mean, I'd have been one of those.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't even think the Dunkirk moment needed EU characters but it would have been nice if they actually let us see any of the ships properly. The Naboo starfighter would have been cool to actually see outside of combing through frames on the internet later on. Nice callback to wrap the saga together a lil'.

The shittiest part of that whole sequence is Lando's behind it. I love Lando but he has nothing to do with this trilogy really, should have been one of our new cast.
Yeah. I wouldn't have minded a gathering of the forces scene/s a la what king theoden did in return of the king. Then one woulda had a clearer picture of who's joining the fight. For example showing the Naboo tents or whatever with all their Star fighters.

and yeah on the point of Lando, there's a number of characters in TROS that have little to no purpose. Pretty much all the new characters they introduced didn't really do much, honestly can't even remember the names right now as I type this. and meanwhile you have established characters like rose and Maz not doing much either. It just got cramped with a lot of characters and not a lot of plot to chew on.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Yeah. I wouldn't have minded a gathering of the forces scene/s a la what king theoden did in return of the king. Then one woulda had a clearer picture of who's joining the fight. For example showing the Naboo tents or whatever with all their Star fighters.

and yeah on the point of Lando, there's a number of characters in TROS that have little to no purpose. Pretty much all the new characters they introduced didn't really do much, honestly can't even remember the names right now as I type this. and meanwhile you have established characters like rose and Maz not doing much either. It just got cramped with a lot of characters and not a lot of plot to chew on.

Honestly the audacity of JJ and Terrio to sideline Rose while introducing Zorri, Jannah, General Pryde and Dominic Monaghan (all three of which had almost nothing to do). Why not leave them all in the dust and give Rose something to do? Pryde's role could have just been Hux on the villain's side.

I'm at the stage with TROS where I can't stop imagining "what if" for so many of the decisions made. It's truly like the prequels in that regard.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ashley Eckstein tries to come off as nicely and professional as possible but you can tell she's peeved.

K1kttMB.jpg

She must have known before the news hit, I assume.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ashley Eckstein tries to come off as nicely and professional as possible but you can tell she's peeved.

K1kttMB.jpg

She must have known before the news hit, I assume.
I Imagine she did. Filoni and all of those guys are really close and with a Character that has always been tied to one person I have to imagine he would reach out. Still would be disappointing I am sure. Ashley is the right age for Mandalorian Ahsoka and she has done the full makeup before but in the end Hollywood Productions do what they are going to do

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I Imagine she did. Filoni and all of those guys are really close and with a Character that has always been tied to one person I have to imagine he would reach out. Still would be disappointing I am sure. Ashley is the right age for Mandalorian Ahsoka and she has done the full makeup before but in the end Hollywood Productions do what they are going to do
Yeah. It's just horrible stunt casting.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's a good actress way more experienced with live action drama who I can easily see playing a more mature Ahsoka
Not doubting that she's a good actress at all.

I don't think she can add anything that Ashley couldn't, if she was given the chance.
and all the live action actors are different from the voice actors anyway.
That's live action to cartoon. Which is different matter. And even then sometimes you get the same actor playing both.

I don't see this as anything other than stunt casting. Unfortunately.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think she can add anything that Ashley couldn't, if she was given the chance.

Eckstein looks nothing like Ahsoka. She's a fantastic actress and her work on the character is phenomenal but she doesn't look the part...at all.

Dawson is not only a good actress but she has both a very lithe, slender build emulating the look of the character on the series and possesses similar facial bone structure.

(That isn't to imply Eckstein doesn't have a nice physique and face just that she doesn't look like the character she voices)

From a physical standpoint Dawson is a really good approximation.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Eckstein looks nothing like Ahsoka. She's a fantastic actress and her work on the character is phenomenal but she doesn't look the part...at all.

Dawson is not only a good actress but she has both a very lithe, slender build emulating the look of the character on the series and possesses similar facial bone structure.

(That isn't to imply Eckstein doesn't have a nice physique and face just that she doesn't look like the character she voices)

From a physical standpoint Dawson is a really good approximation.
Yeah, agreed.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel bad for Ashley

To be fair, voice actors rarely get to do their live action counterparts unless the part in question is a CGI character. (Like Cullen and Optimus Prime)

She's been in the business long enough to have known she was probably not going to play Ahsoka in a live action series, especially if the character is going to be more substantial than a cameo.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
To be fair, voice actors rarely get to do their live action counterparts unless the part in question is a CGI character. (Like Cullen and Optimus Prime)

She's been in the business long enough to have known she was probably not going to play Ahsoka in a live action series, especially if the character is going to be more substantial than a cameo.
Oh I know I understand why they picked Dawson but I still feel bad for Ashley since she takes the character very personally

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's the same thing as Nolan North not being cast to play Nathan in the Uncharted movie. It really stings for the VA (and in Nolan's case, mo-cap actor) not to play the part they've already done for years in a live-action project that would naturally be seen by more people, but there are a lot of other considerations to make from the actor's likeness, to how they would perform in a live action setting (see: Kevin Conroy's cameo as a live action Bruce Wayne, which was cool, but also made clear how awkward it looks when a VA used to performing in a sound booth does the same performance in front of the camera), to frankly stunt casting reasons.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I think they didn't go with Ashley 'cus physically she doesn't fit the part. She's just way too tiny.