• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An interesting tidbit from Rian during TLJ commentary. He wrote the falcon dice to be in the movie because he thought that they would be in TFA. The scene with them in TFA ended up not making the final cut and he didn't know lol

The fascination with Han's dice in the recent films has been baffling.

Like basically no one knew that was a thing in the OT.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The castle and dice seem like really odd things to be annoyed about especially when the reasoning is "well we didn't see them in the OT!"

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't get over how good Empire looks in 4K. I was much more impressed with a 40 yo movie than I was with TLJ.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dice seem like really odd things to be annoyed about especially when the reasoning is "well we didn't see them in the OT!"

It's bizarre and confusing, as fans are left wondering why the dice in TLJ is so significant.

Then Solo doubles down on it and apparently it was Han's good luck charm that he always kept with him. It's a little silly.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I still think The Last Jedi has the best trailers in the trilogy.

First this trailer with Luke and Rey talking about the Force, and ending with Luke saying "I only know one truth. It's time for the Jedi to end."

Then this trailer builds perfectly with the themes for Rey, the Jedi Steps, and Kylo. So many surprises like Rey actually confronting Snoke in this one. And some great lines including "Let the past die, kill it if you have to." Like the first trailer, ending with another twist - Kylo offering his hand to Rey to join him.

Funny how they entirely left out Canto Bight though.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
You know, instead of TROS introducing both the ideas of the Dyad and Rey Palpatine, maybe it would have been better to stick with just the Dyad, since that seems to matter more in the end than just Rey being a Palpatine.

Instead of Rey having Force lightning because she's Palpatine's "granddaughter", she could have been absorbing Kylo's darkness through the Force bond, just like how she'd already gained some of his abilities in TFA, and in TROS, seemingly, the Force freeze.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, instead of TROS introducing both the ideas of the Dyad and Rey Palpatine, maybe it would have been better to stick with just the Dyad, since that seems to matter more in the end than just Rey being a Palpatine.
I agree that they should of just had the Dyad concept, and not that fucking awful granddaughter shit.
Instead of Rey having Force lightning because she's Palpatine's "granddaughter", she could have been absorbing Kylo's darkness through the Force bond, just like how she'd already gained some of his abilities in TFA, and in TROS, seemingly, the Force freeze.
Nah. It doesn't matter if Rey was a Senate or was absorbing Kylo's darkness.

The Force isn't fucking super powers. Unless she learned how to do, she shouldn't be able to that shit.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. It doesn't matter if Rey was a Senate or was absorbing Kylo's darkness.
'
The Force isn't fucking super powers. Unless she learned how to do, she shouldn't be able to that shit.
Per the TLJ novelization:

"Kylo had retreated at finding Rey in his head - had practically fled from her. But that had not been the end of that strange, sudden connection. She had seen more - far more. Somehow, almost instinctually, she knew how he accessed some of the powers at his commend - even though she didn't understand them. It was as if his training had become hers, unlocking and flinging open door after door in her mind."

Even ignoring the novel and just going by the movie itself, it seems pretty obvious that Rey at least got the mind trick ability from seeing into Kylo's mind in TFA.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In DOFT she shoots lightning on Hattaska Ren when she realizes the Knights of Ren were the ones who killed her parents back in the force flashback from TFA

BW2JA0f.png
ieoIsuY.png

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons I'm fine with TROS is because I love Kylo and Rey's relationship so much which is why I haaaaaaaaaate the twist in DOFT. Kylo knowing Rey all along and him lying to her really rubs me the wrong way.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons I'm fine with TROS is because I love Kylo and Rey's relationship so much which is why I haaaaaaaaaate the twist in DOFT. Kylo knowing Rey all along and him lying to her really rubs me the wrong way.
He still knew Rey in the TROS continuity (as per The Rise of Kylo Ren comic) and calling Sheev Jr. a nobody is only true "from a certain point of view"

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Per the TLJ novelization:

"Kylo had retreated at finding Rey in his head - had practically fled from her. But that had not been the end of that strange, sudden connection. She had seen more - far more. Somehow, almost instinctually, she knew how he accessed some of the powers at his commend - even though she didn't understand them. It was as if his training had become hers, unlocking and flinging open door after door in her mind."
I don't give a singular fuck about the novelisations.

If it's not in the movie, that it doesn't count.
Even ignoring the novel and just going by the movie itself, it seems pretty obvious that Rey at least got the mind trick ability from seeing into Kylo's mind in TFA.
Ehhhh. That's quite the stretch. And even then there's a big difference between a mind trick and shooting sparkles from your hands.

And no. It doesn't seem pretty obvious.
In DOFT she shoots lightning on Hattaska Ren when she realizes the Knights of Ren were the ones who killed her parents back in the force flashback from TFA

BW2JA0f.png
ieoIsuY.png
And it's idiotic in that too.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
He still knew Rey in the TROS continuity (as per The Rise of Kylo Ren comic) and calling Sheev Jr. a nobody is only true "from a certain point of view"

I don't know if that panel in the comic signifies them consciously knowing each other, rather that they're linked through the dyad and can feel emotions and sensations that neither can explain at that point.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
When he kills Ren, there's that huge spread with Snoke, Rey, Sheev, etc. that implies that his bond with Rey pre-dates TLJ
Oh that.

Well, that's different than actually knowing her. In canon he only finds out about her in TFA, even though they're already a dyad in the force, while in DOFT's canon he knew who she was while TFA was happening. And then in TLJ when they have that emotional scene on Snoke's ship, he's actually lying to her the whole time and knows he had a part in her parent's death.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with Kylo Ren lying. Even on this forum people call him "space Hitler". Bad guys do bad stuff.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not in the movie, that it doesn't count.
It is in the movie. She looks into Kylo's mind and in the next scene she suddenly knows mind trick.

edit: and Rian even used Rey's lightsaber practice scene to show her bond with Kylo. In retrospect, Luke is probably reminded specifically of Kylo here when he watches and walks away.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with Kylo Ren lying. Even on this forum people call him "space Hitler". Bad guys do bad stuff.
Like I said, I love their relationship so much and part of that is how honest and upfront he is with her in TLJ. He is an open book but that's ruined if in the next film we find out he was playing her the entire time. TROS continuing where TLJ left off in regards to Rey and Kylo was a great call.

A lot of that seems to be missing in DOFT, do they even see each other until the end?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Rebels sequel also needs to be 12 episodes if it wants to reach the visual quality of the final TCW season lol.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Kylo was telling Rey at least what he believed to be the truth in TLJ. He was being totally honest.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Kylo lying about knowing Rey is ass but the two going on their own personal journeys, knowing that no matter what, at the end they'll have a final battle. With the buildup as both get one last stretch of character development, especially on Mortis which has powerful force visions, is some good shit. And provides a way more original parallel to the conclusion of ROTJ. As in, the mystical side of things having little to do with the rebels winning and losing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Only reason Kylo wouldn't lie to her is if he's in love with her which is getting into full Reylo territory
Yeah but TLJ and TROS are already in full Reylo territory.

Rian Johnson wrote their relationship in his movie to be a really open and honest one. She ends up feeling more comfortable with him than she does Luke. I mean, Kylo doesn't even bullshit her about why he killed Han or any of his feelings. All of their scenes in TLJ would feel tainted if we found out he was lying to her.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but TLJ and TROS are already in full Reylo territory.

Rian Johnson wrote their relationship in his movie to be a really open and honest one. She ends up feeling more comfortable with him than she does Luke. I mean, Kylo doesn't even bullshit her about why he killed Han or any of his feelings. All of their scenes in TLJ would feel tainted if we found out he was lying to her.
I totally see what you mean, but to me this "tainting" would be a good thing because it would make us hate him more in the third movie, where he would have been the main villain.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I totally see what you mean, but to me this "tainting" would be a good thing because it would make us hate him more in the third movie, where he would have been the main villain.
I think you could still have a good storyline where he's the main villain but the relationship between him and Rey isn't fucked over. Like by the end of TLJ he's the main villain but it's in a situation where the added connection between both characters makes that even more sad. I don't necessarily think you need the audience to hate him for Kylo to feel like the main guy.

It reminds me of how in the second apes movie (not sure if you've seen it) both the humans and the apes are going to war, which makes both of them compelling antagonists for each side, but you DON'T want them to fight. You wish they could come together and work it out. That's how that scene in the throne room felt, you had Kylo and Rey's point of view at odds with each other but you didn't actually want them to end up killing one another.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Rian on if Kylo was lying to Rey: "That's what Kylo sees and that's what he tells her and I think he's not lying in that moment. That's what he saw and she seems to believe it when she hears it."