• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved how TLJ had her outfit change as the movie progress.
The rain poncho was super cool

JpI7MUN.jpg

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Those opening scenes with Rey on the island cloaked and finding the Jedi tree in the mist really remind me of Lord of the Rings.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Rey's outfit in TROS feels kind of like her superhero costume; the same basic wrap design but this time in pure white, skin-tight spandex so she can do sweet flips and stuff. I like it.

I do wish she'd kept the hair-down look, since getting rid of her childhood triple-decker buns was obviously part of her burgeoning womanhood arc in TLJ, but whaddyagonnado? The triple-bunner is still a solid style.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
I liked TROS, but it just seems so much less...thoughtful than TLJ. I know naysayers will point to the low speed chase and the Holdo maneuver as examples of "stupid" ideas, but the reasoning for both of those are provided in the script. There are just fewer writing shortcuts in TLJ than TROS.

The costumes seem to be emblematic of the same issue. Kylo puts the helmet on, without much (any?) explanation as to why when TLJ makes it clear why the helmet was destroyed. It's the same with Rey's outfit.

Of course, to counter myself, it's not like it was ever explained why Luke wore black in ROTJ.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Rey's outfit in TROS feels kind of like her superhero costume; the same basic wrap design but this time in pure white, skin-tight spandex so she can do sweet flips and stuff. I like it.

I do wish she'd kept the hair-down look, since getting rid of her childhood triple-decker buns was obviously part of her burgeoning womanhood arc in TLJ, but whaddyagonnado? The triple-bunner is still a solid style.
The buns always made sense for me to return to. I'm sure JJ loves the iconic nature of them. Those buns and BB-8's design are probably the best version of his "updated Star Wars" aesthetic.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I liked TROS, but it just seems so much less...thoughtful than TLJ. I know naysayers will point to the low speed chase and the Holdo maneuver as examples of "stupid" ideas, but the reasoning for both of those are provided in the script. There are just fewer writing shortcuts in TLJ than TROS.

Of all the bad TLJ counter-arguments, the slow-mo chase is the one I think RJ could have improved on by just going full on plagiarism. He obviously was influenced by Battlestar Galactica's "33" episode where they were running away and had to jump every 33 minutes. I think that constant tracking and jumping followed by crew exhaustion would have helped enhance the desperation and allowed audiences to feel like they were still moving through the vastness of space.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, to counter myself, it's not like it was ever explained why Luke wore black in ROTJ.

Not in the film I guess, but Lucas and Hamill explained why back then. From the book of the "Making of the Jedi":

"In a way, the first two films were an elaborate set up for Jedi," said Mark Hamill. "People really sensed that this was the final chapter in the story - so far - and not a cliffhanger. It's the big finish - all stops out, all systems go. My costume reflects that. During Star Wars, I was in a white floppy rag-doll-type outfit. In Empire, I was in a militaristic-looking khaki costume. Now I wear the black uniform of a trained Jedi Knight."

Luke and Vader were clearly wearing the same style of clothes; Vader was basically just wearing a Jedi uniform with some added cybernetics.

(And then the prequels were made and all that got retconned)

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Not in the film I guess, but Lucas and Hamill explained why back then. From the book of the "Making of the Jedi":

"In a way, the first two films were an elaborate set up for Jedi," said Mark Hamill. "People really sensed that this was the final chapter in the story - so far - and not a cliffhanger. It's the big finish - all stops out, all systems go. My costume reflects that. During Star Wars, I was in a white floppy rag-doll-type outfit. In Empire, I was in a militaristic-looking khaki costume. Now I wear the black uniform of a trained Jedi Knight."

Luke and Vader were clearly wearing the same style of clothes; Vader was basically just wearing a Jedi uniform with some added cybernetics.

(And then the prequels were made and all that got retconned)
I mean this is the way the Jedi looked as Force ghosts looked at the end of Return of the Jedi, and Anakin had mostly black robes in Revenge.

latest

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Mark's comment was meant to be interpreted as "I have a new, shiny uniform because I am a trained Jedi Knight" and not "This black uniform is literally the uniform of a Jedi Knight in the Old Republic," because as noted, Obi-Wan and Yoda were dressed totally differently.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is the way the Jedi looked as Force ghosts looked at the end of Return of the Jedi, and Anakin had mostly black robes in Revenge.

latest
Force ghost Anakin was wearing loose robes here because he was not fighting anymore. He was retired, like Ben and Yoda were during their exile. The black Jedi Knight uniform was meant to be something like a police uniform.

It wasn't until the prequels that the loose, impractical robes became the Jedi's "uniform".

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Mark's comment was meant to be interpreted as "I have a new, shiny uniform because I am a trained Jedi Knight" and not "This black uniform is literally the uniform of a Jedi Knight in the Old Republic," because as noted, Obi-Wan and Yoda were dressed totally differently.
Yet Vader wore the same thing (plus a mask and some buttons) and he was a former Jedi Knight. I think the intent was obvious.

Ben and Yoda were retired hermits.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
My favorite history teacher in high school always wore black shirts and ties. Somebody asked him why he always wore black? He said, "Real Jedis wear black". That always stuck with me, and I really internalized it. See: my avatar.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
My favorite history teacher in high school always wore black shirts and ties. Somebody asked him why he always wore black? He said, "Real Jedis wear black". That always stuck with me, and I really internalized it. See: my avatar.

It'd be cool if the rumored High Republic era Jedi rock the Luke outfit. Best Jedi outfit imo.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Force ghost Anakin was wearing loose robes here because he was not fighting anymore. He was retired, like Ben and Yoda were during their exile. The black Jedi Knight uniform was meant to be something like a police uniform.

It wasn't until the prequels that the loose, impractical robes became the Jedi's "uniform".

The loose "robes" are practical, they allow for freedom of movement. Movement and silhouette were factors in the design of the prequel Jedi look.

But the tabard, which is the main item of clothing, links ANH Obi-wan, Vader, RoTJ Luke, and many of the prequel Jedi. And tabards are closely linked to European medieval knights. Of course not all prequel Jedi wore the same style of Jedi wear.

Luke's black Jedi outfit was also supposed to be symbolic. He's in all black like Vader, is Luke falling to the dark side? It's also why his shirt folds open to show white underneath at the end. He chose the light.

And because of that RoTJ symbolism, Rey's all white outfit kept me from ever thinking she might turn.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
You, a Tier 1 'fan': Jedi wore robes

Me, a Tier 3 intellectual: Jedi wore bomb-ass wide-collar leisure suits, motorcycle boots and Farrah hair

jARj5Su.png

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Finally got around to this article. Minus a few things, I really like this. I mean, for all we know Trevorrow's writing could be really rough, but the plotting seems solid.

It's crazy to me if KK really bounced him over Bendemption, though. There has to be more to that story because I don't see how much of this script couldn't be updated to adjust for Carrie Fisher.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
You, a Tier 1 'fan': Jedi wore robes

Me, a Tier 3 intellectual: Jedi wore bomb-ass wide-collar leisure suits, motorcycle boots and Farrah hair

This begs, begs for a gender-swapped version featuring Rey. Weird that there's relatively little fanart of that kind of thing, though.

Best I could find are these:

(Which, admittedly, are pretty dope.)

Oct 27, 2017
For someone who's read the original Thrawn trilogy books:

Is the character POV split pretty consistent throughout? I'm struggling to care about the first book because of the Leia and Han/Lando stuff. It's sooooooo corny and boring. The Luke and Thrawn (Palleaon) stuff is compelling (mostly). Also are the latter two books better? The way this first one keeps name dropping stuff *constantly* from the OG trilogy is painful.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to this article. Minus a few things, I really like this. I mean, for all we know Trevorrow's writing could be really rough, but the plotting seems solid.

It's crazy to me if KK really bounced him over Bendemption, though. There has to be more to that story because I don't see how much of this script couldn't be updated to adjust for Carrie Fisher.
I would fire him too if he wouldn't do Bendemption. Entire sequel trilogy from TFA on has built toward Ben turning to the good and sacrificing himself.

Well I would also fire him because his dialouge is prequel era George Lucas bad in all of his scripts of released films to date lol.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Finished reading "Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire" over the weekend. Mostly fine, but maybe a little too much of a commercial for Galaxy's Edge.

One thing that I absolutely hate about every Star Wars book that has released since The Last Jedi came out is that each book has been littered with variations of the "we are the spark that will ignite..." phrase, and it is NEVER clever in its use. Just a big pet peeve of mine.

Read the TIE Fighter comic, and was surprised at how good it was. Gonna hop into Alphabet Squadron soon, so hopefully the excellence of that era will continue.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Ben didn't even have anything to sacrifice himself for until Palpatine was wished into existence so not sure I agree with that either.

I would have took Emperor Ren realising how badly he messed up his life and regretting the choices he made as he died as the First Order collapsed around him.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I feel by the end of TLJ he was even more conflicted than he ever was. The look he had as Rey shut the falcon was confliction imo.

I read it as anger more than conflict. The face of someone who asks a girl for her number and when she politely declines he responds with "well you are an ugly bitch anyway" and pouts off.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
TLJ gave him his chance at redemption and he rejected it and doubled down in the dark side.

I lean more in this direction but that being said, I think whoever wrote IX could have taken it either way and made it work for whichever direction they wanted to take his character.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
For someone who's read the original Thrawn trilogy books:

Is the character POV split pretty consistent throughout? I'm struggling to care about the first book because of the Leia and Han/Lando stuff. It's sooooooo corny and boring. The Luke and Thrawn (Palleaon) stuff is compelling (mostly). Also are the latter two books better? The way this first one keeps name dropping stuff *constantly* from the OG trilogy is painful.

IMO Heir was the best. They are all of fairly consistent quality though.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I am far from the only one who thinks TFA and TLJ set up Ben to sacrifice himself in redemption.

It was inevitable the moment he was revealed to be Leia's son. There was no way he wasn't going to be a good guy by the end, unlike Vader for whom redemption wasn't even brought up until the third movie.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I expected Bendemption but I personally feel like he should've lived. Would have setup more interesting stories for the future.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I expected Bendemption but I personally feel like he should've lived. Would have setup more interesting stories for the future.

They have an out since Leia disappeared at the same time Ben did--you could say she sacrificed herself for him. Doesn't explain why his body disappeared obviously, but wouldn't be that much of an ass pull compared to the other shit we've seen.

Doubtful it happens, but there's a bit of an out there if there's a desire for it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resistance has finally started getting mildly interesting right at the very end.

Very weird how this show was handled.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the animated branch so afraid of doing serialized content anyways? Are there any benefits to the episodic approach I am not seeing?

curb

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the animated branch so afraid of doing serialized content anyways? Are there any benefits to the episodic approach I am not seeing?

Isn't it always something about kids attention spans and whatnot. As in, people think they're not able to follow stories over multiple episodes.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me if it has to do with the fact that those shares aired on cable first. Probably want to maximize the ability to make the show work whenever someone happens to tune in. Future shows being streaming exclusive may make them more comfortable with going with a more serialized approach.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Serialized kids shows have traditionally not been particularly popular with children because they have shorter attention spans, frequently miss or skip episodes, forget what happened earlier in the season, etc.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
My 7 year old daughter and I watch the recent Ducktales reboot together and she has no issues following the ongoing plotlines. That being said, she doesn't watch them on her own as they air and if it was up to her to keep up, I doubt she'd catch every episode.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bendemption is fine.

What the trilogy has not built toward is the non-sensical way it happened in TROS, especially it culminating in the Reylo kiss.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I would fire him too if he wouldn't do Bendemption. Entire sequel trilogy from TFA on has built toward Ben turning to the good and sacrificing himself.

Well I would also fire him because his dialouge is prequel era George Lucas bad in all of his scripts of released films to date lol.
Agreed