• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably like aspects of TROS better when it comes to digital/blu ray, but the parts I don't like(and there are several things I didn't like or agree with) are going to be worse because of what could had been if they didn't have those problems or went with those decisions. As for pacing, no matter how you get used to it the movie shouldn't had pacing like that to begin with, it's flawed film making that could had been avoided.

Did AOTC grow on me on rewatches? No, but it's far from the worst movie I've seen thankfully. TROS would be above the prequels for me, but probably not most other SW movies, definitely nowhere the OT.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I think the pacing thing is true of pretty much any movie you watch twice. When you already know the story you don't have to concentrate on every little thing the way you do on the first viewing. You're never going to feel that same bewilderment again because now you know what to expect and you're ready for it.

It's the same with the Rey Palpatine reveal. The first time through it's kind of drowned out by the sound of your whole world crashing down around you, and then you spend the next several minutes shellshocked knowing you'll never experience joy again. But then the second time around it doesn't hit you quite so hard, because everything inside you is already dead and you've accepted life as a cruel farce, so you're just like "...Mmhm. Yep."

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Started watching Clone Wars the past few days. I'm a handful of episodes in, and I think I have a new favorite Jedi.

Jar Jar

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I think the pacing thing is true of pretty much any movie you watch twice. When you already know the story you don't have to concentrate on every little thing the way you do on the first viewing. You're never going to feel that same bewilderment again because now you know what to expect and you're ready for it.

It's the same with the Rey Palpatine reveal. The first time through it's kind of drowned out by the sound of your whole world crashing down around you, and then you spend the next several minutes shellshocked knowing you'll never experience joy again. But then the second time around it doesn't hit you quite so hard, because everything inside you is already dead and you've accepted life as a cruel farce, so you're just like "...Mmhm. Yep."
Yeah that makes sense, I just wish the film wasn't made that way but at least it's more understandable on a 2nd viewing. I'm still not for Rey Palpatine though!

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Watching the movie the first time I already knew about Rey Palpatine and had a big smile on my face to finally hear it, lol.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the movie the first time I already knew about Rey Palpatine and had a big smile on my face to finally hear it, lol.

The week or so after seeing the movie I was vacillating between "Maybe I should have read the leaks" and "Maybe I should have seen Cats instead" :P

Still, though, I'm glad I stayed clear of the leaks. It wouldn't have been the same if I'd just read a list of bullet points at home rather than seeing it on the big screen; if I'm going to have my dreams crushed I at least want to get the maximum drama factor out of it.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Copying from the TROS OT, a lot of notes from my second watch:

latest

• The planet is very clearly Mustafar in the establishing shot, you can see that other planet or whatever it is beside Mustafar.
  • It's so good how Rey feels so alone in TLJ and TROS opens with her unable to hear the Jedi's voices, and then all the Jedi are with her in the end, to show her that she's not alone. Just fantastic.
  • Kylo and Pryde look immediately suspicious of Hux during the board meeting when they mention a traitor.
  • There's a line from Finn confirming the Emperor always wanted Rey alive, it's not just a change in Palpatine's plan when Rey shows up.
  • The Passana chase in the canyon reminds me of podracing.
  • People complain about Kylo just making himself servant to another master like Snoke, but he makes it clear from his first conversation with Rey that his plans differ from Palpatine's.
  • Hyperspace tracking is another thing that carries over from TLJ.
  • It actually makes sense that Palpatine doesn't tell Kylo to bring Rey to him, because he knows in that case they're definitely going to overthrow him together. He wants his successor to be the stronger of the two.
  • I still think Rey Palpatine is just perfect. There's a line I forgot about where she tells Finn how she wants to destroy the Emperor out of revenge for her family, it really fits with her anger issues that JJ set up and hinted at in VII.
  • Like many have said, the pacing is better on rewatches and no where near as bad as many say.
  • On the other hand, there's some editing choices I really don't like - on Passana when they're sinking under quicksand it's stupid how much it stays on this after they've sunk and then cuts to another scene. Just cut immediately to them being fine.
  • Another prequel music cue: the ROTS music when Palpatine dubs Anakin Vader is used when the rebels talk about the Sith message sent out.
  • Ben does the Harrison Ford finger pointing not one but three times.
  • Dominic Managhan is...not good here, and not a convincing expert on the Sith. And his line about how Palpatine came back mentioning cloning just confuses things.
  • There's nothing Finn says about feeling the Force during the village murders that makes me think he lost a sense of agency. What he does say that meeting Rey, Poe, etc. was the will of the Force, which is what I always said since watching TFA. Just like how Qui-Gon finding Anakin was the will of the Force.
  • Finn doesn't have a strong arc in this movie but we do see a lot of growth in him. He goes being scared and believing there's nothing he can do against the First Order to believing in the will of the Force and having a whole new confidence here out of that.
  • The Sith dagger showing the location of the wayfinder on the Death Star is totally unnecessary.
  • When Rey stabs Ben when he's distracted by Leia it's exactly like how I hope Padme reached out to Anakin only for Obi-Wan to then defeat him.
  • Ben tells Rey that he believes they're both destined for the dark side because of their grandparents. When Rey heals him and doesn't surrender to the dark side it shows him that he doesn't have to either.
  • Ben's conversation with Han and throwing away the lightsaber is perfection.
  • At the end of Last Jedi Ben found that becoming Supreme Leader didn't bring him happiness, here he chooses to reject the final step of becoming Emperor.
  • This along with Last Jedi are the most emotional Star Wars movies for me, I lose it hearing Leia's theme and seeing Daisy tearing up hugging Leia. And the whole section where Ben gets stabbed, Leia dies Rey says she wanted to take Ben's hand, and Ben talks to his father.
  • When Luke initially catches the lightsaber his hair looks much more natural and less long, then it looks like a wig when he's sitting down talking to Rey, which I believe was a reshoot.
  • Pryde mentions serving Palpatine in the old wars, he must have been in the Clone War and I'd like to see that.
  • While I love the idea, Palpatine actually telling Rey that his soul will pass into her is kind of stupid and awkward, although I guess it can be explained by his overconfidence.
  • The galaxy coming out to destroy the Final Order Dunkirk style is perfect.
  • Rey piloting Luke's X-wing and wearing the X-wing pilot helmet after being a pretend X-wing pilot back on Jakku, so good.
  • The movie overall looks really good while at the same time it doesn't have a lot of standout shots and the cinematography certainly isn't as thoughtful as TLJ's.
  • It should be R2-D2, not BB-8 on Tatooine at the end.
Overall, there's just so much I like about this movie. A really great conclusion for me.

Good write up, I don't think I disagree with anything.

Dispatch

Oct 25, 2017
When I watched Clone Wars before I watched only the "necessary" episodes. This time, I'm watching them all the way through (I'm on Episode 10 of Season Two) and the series really cements Obi-Wan's friendship, Anakin's (endearing, rogueish) recklessness, and the arrogance of the Jedi Order.
I'm enjoying it a lot more taking my time.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
When I watched Clone Wars before I watched only the "necessary" episodes. This time, I'm watching them all the way through (I'm on Episode 10 of Season Two) and the series really cements Obi-Wan's friendship, Anakin's (endearing, rogueish) recklessness, and the arrogance of the Jedi Order.

One thing I love about Clone Wars is that it makes (fairly) good on Obi-Wan's "Anakin was a good friend" line which to me, didn't come through enough in RotS.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017

If you ever felt like it one day try the chronological order it's by far my favourite.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Putting it on Disney XD was a mistake, considering a lot of people couldn't watch it. At least they didn't put it in the burn off slot

Season 2 is coming to Disney+ on Feb. 25.

I'm going to watch the series finale of Resistance tonight. Pretty sad that the OT is dead and no one really talked about it in here lmao

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's ok when Mail is defeated by a Padawan from an era of relative peace but not ok to be defeated by a Padawan with years of battle experience during the Clone Wars? Gee I wonder why that could be? I'm certain It has nothing to do with the gender of the characters.

Yeah, if Obi-Wan was 25 when he defeated Maul then a 17 year old Ahsoka can do the same. Not only was she "forged in battle", but she was Anakin's student. That already puts her way ahead of most Jedi Knights.

DramaticYeti

The Fallen
Apr 11, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Great shots DramaticYeti! Zeffo was my favorite planet in the game. Gorgeous stuff
Thanks. I loved Zeffo's atmosphere, reminded me of Lah'mu from Rogue One's prologue. Dathomir was also a really good-looking planet so I'm excited to get there and take some more photos.

Now that I think about it, is Kashyyyk the planet that's been featured the most in Star Wars games? Feels like there's a lot—KOTOR, Republic Commando, The Force Unleashed, Battlefront (new and old), etc.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
TROS leaves theaters this weekend.

I think I might go see it one last time.

Really? I don't mean to attach any commentary to this or anything but doesn't that seem... early? I guess the only reason I'm wondering is because I saw Kristin Bell on social media mentioning to go see Frozen II as it's leaving theatres (but that did get a sing-along version so maybe that extended its run?)

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movies don't all disappear from theaters nation/worldwide at the same time. TROS will be playing in many theaters for at least another month.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I don't mean to attach any commentary to this or anything but doesn't that seem... early? I guess the only reason I'm wondering is because I saw Kristin Bell on social media mentioning to go see Frozen II as it's leaving theatres (but that did get a sing-along version so maybe that extended its run?)
TROS has been removed from my nearest theater...yeah I'll wait to watch it again at home.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017

Oof. This hit me deep.

Oct 28, 2017
England

Is Snap Wexley possibly appearing in one of the final episodes of Resistance, or are we about to get news of a Black Squadron animated mini-series coming to Disney+?

Soo... neither Snap Wexley nor Greg Grunberg appeared in the last episodes of Resistance. What was he hinting at in this Tweet? Could he be appearing in an upcoming Battlefront update? Could he be a member of the Rebels successor show, or perhaps the rumoured Dr Aphra series?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soo... neither Snap Wexley nor Greg Grunberg appeared in the last episodes of Resistance. What was he hinting at in this Tweet? Could he be appearing in an upcoming Battlefront update? Could he be a member of the Rebels successor show, or perhaps the rumoured Dr Aphra series?

He's probably not hinting at anything. Snap appearing at a flight academy post-ROTJ in the Rebels successor would make sense, but I doubt they'd cast Grunberg to play him as a kid.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i'd bet that's greg grunberg finally learning his character is part of comics.
He probably has no idea how much of the new canon is based on his character.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to dip my toes into the extended universe stuff recently. I'm deep into the first season of The Clone Wars and am enjoying it, but I was wondering if there are any novels that people highly recommend reading?

I might check out Ahsoka once I finish watching all of The Clone Wars (or maybe I'll get the audiobook, since Ashley Eckstein apparently narrates it), but what are some other ones I should check out? I kind of want to look into Resistance Reborn, as well as Inferno Squad. I do plan on reading the novelization of Revenge of the Sith; I know it isn't really considered canon nowadays, but the film is one of my favorites in the series, and I've heard the novelization is even better since it does a lot to explain characters' thoughts.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I am currently inter-changing Star Wars stuff by watching the Clone Wars show, reading the Darth Plagueis book, and playing The Old Republic as a singleplayer game (imperial agent storyline). I am having a pretty good time

I'm starting to dip my toes into the extended universe stuff recently. I'm deep into the first season of The Clone Wars and am enjoying it, but I was wondering if there are any novels that people highly recommend reading?

I might check out Ahsoka once I finish watching all of The Clone Wars (or maybe I'll get the audiobook, since Ashley Eckstein apparently narrates it), but what are some other ones I should check out? I kind of want to look into Resistance Reborn, as well as Inferno Squad. I do plan on reading the novelization of Revenge of the Sith; I know it isn't really considered canon nowadays, but the film is one of my favorites in the series, and I've heard the novelization is even better since it does a lot to explain characters' thoughts.

I guess it also depends which era you are most interested in. From the prequel era, I would highly recommend:

Labyrinth of Evil
The Revenge of the Sith novelization (like you mentioned)
Darth Plagueis
Master & Apprentice (canon)
The Republic Commando books
Shatterpoint
Kenobi
Queen of Shadow (canon)

Other books that I have heard should be really good:
Jedi Lost (canon)
Rise of Lord Vader
Dark Disciple (canon)
Lost Stars (canon)
Bloodline (canon)

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Also, I find the distinction between canon and Legends to be unnecessary in terms of lore. Unless something contradicts one another, whatever has been established prior to the establishment of the Legends label still holds true. The ROTS novelization, for example, was Matt Stover working directly with Lucas and as such, shouldn't be disregarded just because of the arbitrary Legends label.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I find the distinction between canon and Legends to be unnecessary in terms of lore. Unless something contradicts one another, whatever has been established prior to the establishment of the Legends label still holds true. The ROTS novelization, for example, was Matt Stover working directly with Lucas and as such, shouldn't be disregarded just because of the arbitrary Legends label.
The film novelizations are not 'Legends'