• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Of all the rumored stuff, what's supposed to be this year? Just the Rebels semi-sequel?
If you're interested in more than just TV and movies, I usually bookmark this page to see what I've missed throughout the year. It's a handy reference.

starwars.fandom.com

A list of events in 2020 related to Star Wars. 1 – Star Wars (2020) 1 published. 5 – "The Mutiny" premiered on Disney Channel. 7 – Fortnite X Star Wars ends. 8 – The Rise of Kylo Ren 2 published. 10 – Patrick Jordan dies. 12 – "The New World" premiered on Disney Channel. 12 – "No Place Safe"...

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
New Rise of Kylo Ren was good, I've enjoyed this run quite a bit. Helps that it's the first substantial comic we've had.

Could this be a glimpse at the High Republic era's art direction?
a7nXEI7.png

The get up looks different than the normal Jedi robe.

[edit]

Feels like the general consensus is that the 2022 film will get a new director but I wonder if it even had one attached to it to begin with and if it did, are they just still attached? I can't imagine they got D&D to write and direct it when they've only directed a handful of GoT episodes.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like the general consensus is that the 2022 film will get a new director but I wonder if it even had one attached to it to begin with and if it did, are they just still attached? I can't imagine they got D&D to write and direct it when they've only directed a handful of GoT episodes.
They were only ever set as writers/producers, but I don't think they got as far as actually writing a script. IIRC it had sounded like they had just written a treatment, though not sure for either a movie or their whole series.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
But, that's what precisely would draw attention. If an Imperial ever did come snooping they'd want to know why I home has absolutely zero molecular trace of anyone living there. And thus, they would dig further.

It's the same thing as using bleach on or cleaning a crime scene. There would be evidence of the sheets, floors, cabinets, whatever, being recently cleaned, but from the point of view of the criminal, it's at least better than leaving blood, dna, or tracks that would lead the authorities to them quicker.

Vader is actually caught by a very smart Imperial investigator looking into Vader's similar secret adventure after ANH, and the investigator knows right away Vader is going to kill him the moment he confesses to Vader he's on to him. And Vader does.

Oct 28, 2017
England
Further rumours of a Solo spin-off Disney+ show, this time from Manabyte's Star Wars site. He's had a very mixed track record to say the least, but has gotten some things right, so I thought it worth a share.

You might remember back in September when I posted a rumor that there was some sort of spin-off or continuation of Solo: A Star Wars Story in the planning stages for Disney+. Now I've found out one more detail about that from a separate source that backs up what I heard in September, and more.

When the story was originally posted, it wasn't clear exactly what form this sequel/spin-off would take. While I still think it'll likely that the spin-off series will deal with the crime syndicates such as Crimson Dawn and Black Sun (being the first time the latter is seen in live action), Disney and Lucasfilm are apparently very serious about trying to bring back Lando. And there's more.

During Disney's last earnings call, it was hinted that future characters that show up in The Mandalorian could be spun off into their own series, and it sounds like that idea isn't going to be limited to that show. If they are able to bring back Lando in the Solo spin-off, it's very likely he'll also receive his own series on the streaming service as well.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
i wonder how many TV shows it will take until they decide to make one with a woman as the main character. Maybe after 7 shows with dudes we'll get 1 woman?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's the same thing as using bleach on or cleaning a crime scene. There would be evidence of the sheets, floors, cabinets, whatever, being recently cleaned, but from the point of view of the criminal, it's at least better than leaving blood, dna, or tracks that would lead the authorities to them quicker.

Vader is actually caught by a very smart Imperial investigator looking into Vader's similar secret adventure after ANH, and the investigator knows right away Vader is going to kill him the moment he confesses to Vader he's on to him. And Vader does.

But, it still lets authorities know something is afoot when everything smells like bleach. But whatever.

Also,
I didn't see why Vader needed to kill the Inspector given that the Inspector was on his side and Vader is trying to build his own secret private army and resources to combat the Emperor. Inspector Thannoth would've been a valuable resource in his on going efforts.

I'm enjoying the Vader comics far more than stand alone Aphra comics, but man the fucking fan wankery and power creep of Vader is ridiculous. No, fuck you, Vader cannot take on an entire fucking battalion by himself that included air support. Fuck. You. His ass should be dead. Ki-Adi-Mundi was a Jedi Master on the Council and his ass got taken down by a few Clone Troopers shooting at him. I don't want to hear some Chosen One bullshit, even the great Anakin Skywalker should die from such an overwhelming force. This is the same Vader that Luke quickly trounces in ROTJ, right?

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Sorry, but there's no way they get back Donald Glover. Maybe at most for a cameo, but otherwise I don't see him spending his time doing that.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EU stuff hinting at High Republic things means nothing if the future director will just do their own separate thing. EU stuff hinted at Duel of the Fates things and we all know how that went.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
EU stuff hinting at High Republic things means nothing if the future director will just do their own separate thing. EU stuff hinted at Duel of the Fates things and we all know how that went.
After that guy (forgot his name) said that the Project Luminous event was only about books and comics, I'm now thinking that the entirety of High Republic is just for the literature said and it won't be seen in the movies or shows. It would make sense since everyone attached to it are book writers but after D&D left, and we found out their stuff was about the origins of the Jedi, I sorta thought maybe this was all the same thing. That Project Luminous would lead into the movies and whatnot but now it looks like D&D's stuff and Luminous weren't the same thing.

It honestly bums me out that it seems like they're two seperate things, I was looking forward to having a bunch of comics and books expand upon this new era and then have a video game and movie be part of it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
In four years I could say I was totally wrong, but I really don't see the point of going back to Republic times and a time when there's no Sith. It's the perfect time to do KOTOR when Revan just referenced a Force bond generations ago - like the one Revan and Bastila had.

If I was planning this stuff I'd have a KOTOR prequel series running from 2020-2022 and a movie in 2022.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
In four years I could say I was totally wrong, but I really don't see the point of going back to Republic times and a time when there's no Sith. It's the perfect time to do KOTOR when Revan just referenced a Force bond generations ago - like the one Revan and Bastila had.

If I was planning this stuff I'd have a KOTOR prequel series running from 2020-2022 and a movie in 2022.
It sounds like High Republic will be about Jedis exploring uncharted areas in the galaxy and there they will meet Siths. I guess that's how you get around it being 400 years ago and there still beings Sith.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread, highly recommended. Once again highlighting how JJ's puddle deep understanding of Star Wars boils down to ''member the OT?'

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread, highly recommended. Once again highlighting how JJ's puddle deep understanding of Star Wars boils down to ''member the OT?'

"...and, pray tell, what did jj abrams do in TROS? what did jj abrams think would be a poignant event for luke skywalker's penultimate appereance? he fucking BREAKS what made TLJ work beautifully and has luke LIFT his starfighter."

"so, at the end of the day, nothing matters, kids. luke skywalker really could have escaped that island, he really could have gone to crait. if he had ONLY JUST thought of lifting his crustacean-filled, moldy, rusty starfighter from the seabed from the island he saw as purgatory."

Lol no. We saw what would have happened if Luke had gone out to Crait in his X-wing.

gkqJP3z.gif

Pretentious Twitter threads like this are the worst.

Last edited:

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda hoped the visual twitter essay threads about TROS would of backed off by now, considering its going to be out next month.

But, I guess that isn't happening.

TROS is dumb, but I still really love it

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"...and, pray tell, what did jj abrams do in TROS? what did jj abrams think would be a poignant event for luke skywalker's penultimate appereance? he fucking BREAKS what made TLJ work beautifully and has luke LIFT his starfighter."

"so, at the end of the day, nothing matters, kids. luke skywalker really could have escaped that island, he really could have gone to crait. if he had ONLY JUST thought of lifting his crustacean-filled, moldy, rusty starfighter from the seabed from the island he saw as purgatory."

Lol no. We saw what would have happened if Luke had gone out to Crait in his X-wing.

gkqJP3z.gif

Pretentious Twitter threads like this are the worst.
Do you really think Luke would have done that if he was physically there?

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Lets be real--if Luke had gone after Kylo/Snoke with the purpose of killing them ala Obi-Wan and Yoda then he'd have accomplished his goal.

He simply isn't that kind of person though, for better or worse.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really agree with that Twitter thread. Yes, the X-Wing is obviously non-functional in TLJ, but I don't think TROS depicting it as ready to roll is a huge deal. And, more importantly, I don't think it changes the implications of Luke's self-imposed exile. That island was a prison of his own making, what he felt was his penance. If Luke had wanted to leave the island he would have found a way, X-Wing or no; the point is that he didn't want to. The X-Wing could have been fueled up and ready to go on the launch pad the whole time and he still wouldn't have left until the events of TLJ happen and he changes his mind.

That said, the entire Ahch-To scene is my least favourite part of the movie by far. There's just so much crammed into this one superdense nexus of an awful scene. You've got:

- Rey having a crisis of conscience and deciding she's going to exile herself on Luke's island and be a hermit like he was (the dialogue is so wooden she comes just short of actually saying this word for word :P). The idea that Rey would go and do the same thing Luke did, even choosing Luke's island rather than any place that has significance for her (like, say, her own house where she lived her whole life on Jakku?) is so indicative of how little interest TROS has in depicting Rey as her own person.

- The criminal under-use of Luke. I don't know why he's sidelined as a single-scene cameo for this movie; it doesn't even make sense with what we know about JJ as a person. How does a dude so obsessed with nostalgia get two shots at writing and directing Star Wars movies with Mark Hamill in them and only use him for like three cumulative minutes?

- Bright-ass blue-ass Ghost Luke with the Jaclyn Smith wig. I mean, bruv.

- Flashback Leia's half-baked Force prophecy about how her son would die if she kept Jedi-ing, so she quits Jedi-ing and then her son... dies anyway. I don't know why any of this was necessary when the explanation we already had for Leia not becoming a full Jedi (i.e. she thought she could serve the galaxy better as a diplomat than as a swordfighter) was perfectly fine.

- The thing that gets me about the X-Wing is the way Luke lifting the damn thing is presented as his schmaltzy 'full-circle' moment, like we've symbolically closed the loop on Luke because now he can do the thing that he couldn't do in an earlier movie. Never mind that we saw him do something far more impressive and meaningful than hoisting an aeroplane in TLJ, no no no, Star Wars is only about seeing the same moments repeated forever. Pottery.

- "Leia and I both knew you were a Palpatine". Kill me.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I like Rey going to the island out of fear, and Luke catching the lightsaber, but it really is amazing how great Luke was in TLJ and how underwhelming he is here. The wig and blue ghost effect are awful, yeah. I'd be really interested to see the old version which seemed to have better acting from Mark and some good lines.

LUKE: You don't know how strong you are until you know how strong you have to be. Sidious will fill you with fear, with anger, and he'll use your weaknesses against you.
REY: What are his?
LUKE: Sidious looked into Vader's eyes when my father saved me, he couldn't understand my father's feelings for me. He thought love was a weakness to be used.

Love Luke lifting the X-wing though. Pretty sure that wasn't part the reshoot, his hair looks fine there.

I don't know why JJ didn't go with his Crait Jedi Master look instead.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it stayed in salt water for like 6 years instead of fresh water for like 20 minutes.

Also, the door of Luke's hut is literally a metal piece from his X-Wing.

I don't know. If it was really a case of Luke wanting to damage the X-wing he would have let it drowned in the ocean instead of where he left it.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I just finished the novelization of Phantom Menace and afterwards Queen's Shadow in a span of three days. TPM was a very quick read, but I really appreciated the extra scenes with Anakin on Tattooine. Also, the scene with him leaving his mother was very heartbreaking that unfortunately wasn't part of the film, as well as Padme comforting him in the ship away from Tatooine. It was a very sad moment that would have served as a crucial pillar to establish Anakin's later love for Padme.

Queen's Shadow was also very enjoyable coming from Darth Plagueis, Master & Apprentice, and TPM. It was good to get a glimpse into Padme's life and ambitions before AOTC. It was a good change of pace to have something a bit more relaxed and comfortable that we rarely get in Star Wars fiction, where everything often has to be action-packed. There were some nice hints to the films with Qui-Gon and Anakin, it also explains Padme's attempt at freeing Shmi on Tattooine, and it shows a little bit of what happens to Naboo, at least politically, after the dawn of the Galactic Empire in ROTS.

I had hoped the upcoming Queen's Peril would take place after Shadow, but apparently it'll be set before TPM. Oh well.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Is this from that new Kylo comic series?

I really like that interpretation. More mysticism, less midichloricism :P

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that Rey would go and do the same thing Luke did, even choosing Luke's island rather than any place that has significance for her (like, say, her own house where she lived her whole life on Jakku?) is so indicative of how little interest TROS has in depicting Rey as her own person.
While I agree with the larger point of TROS being a backslide from TLJ for Rey, I don't think this really goes with that. Rey is going to Luke's island to do what Luke did out of fear and confusion and deference to her master. At a moment when her world has been upended, she's trying to find comfort in something familiar. It's not like her brief exile to Acho-To is supposed to be a positive step forward where she asserts her own identity, it's a deliberate regression.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Queen's Shadow was also very enjoyable coming from Darth Plagueis, Master & Apprentice, and TPM. It was good to get a glimpse into Padme's life and ambitions before AOTC. It was a good change of pace to have something a bit more relaxed and comfortable that we rarely get in Star Wars fiction, where everything often has to be action-packed. There were some nice hints to the films with Qui-Gon and Anakin, it also explains Padme's attempt at freeing Shmi on Tattooine, and it shows a little bit of what happens to Naboo, at least politically, after the dawn of the Galactic Empire in ROTS.

I agree with this take; people like to dig on Queen's Shadow for being somewhat inconsequential in the grand scheme of things (and that's putting it nicely) but I believe it provides some much, much needed character work for Padme in the end. Plus, it scratches that political intrigue itch quite well.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly with that Luke's X-Wing twitter thread. Him lifting it out of the water was one of the absolute worst moments of TROS. pandering to a high degree, breaks more of TLJ.... extremely frustrating thing to see.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly with that Luke's X-Wing twitter thread. Him lifting it out of the water was one of the absolute worst moments of TROS. pandering to a high degree, breaks more of TLJ.... extremely frustrating thing to see.

it made Luke look even worse tbh. The point of him not being able to reach Crait was because he had a non functioning ship (despite the fact that he'd also be blown up in a second).

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, but there's no way they get back Donald Glover. Maybe at most for a cameo, but otherwise I don't see him spending his time doing that.

They really don't need him for the show though. Lando was always somebody Han and Chewie encountered sporadically so they could either have him show up in a cameo once in a while (which seems very likely) or avoid the character entirely.

I love Glover in the role but it's an easy workaround.

Alden was ace as Han and I'd love to see his early smuggling career, early interactions with Jabba, etc.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess I'm not really understanding the controversy about Luke's X-Wing.

We know they are durable as hell so the notion of him lifting it up and out of the ocean in working condition doesn't strike me as a stretch.

I never thought Luke's decision to project himself on Crait was because he couldn't get there in person but rather because he wasn't interested in killing his nephew so instead he acted as a diversion. Rian Johnson really went out of his way to humanize Luke instead of make him an MCU character (which let's face it, many people wanted) and even Luke talks about the unrealistic expectation of him facing down the entire First Order by himself. (Which he ends up doing but in a much more clever and strategic way)

I certainly don't think his decision to project himself was predicated on an inability to salvage his ship and reach Crait.

I have my issues with TROS but that scene isn't one of them.