• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm not really understanding the controversy about Luke's X-Wing.

We know they are durable as hell so the notion of him lifting it up and out of the ocean in working condition doesn't strike me as a stretch.

I never thought Luke's decision to project himself on Crait was because he couldn't get there in person but rather because he wasn't interested in killing his nephew so instead he acted as a diversion. Rian Johnson really went out of his way to humanize Luke instead of make him an MCU character (which let's face it, many people wanted) and even Luke talks about the unrealistic expectation of him facing down the entire First Order by himself. (Which he ends up doing but in a much more clever and strategic way)

I certainly don't think his decision to project himself was predicated on an inability to salvage his ship and reach Crait.

I have my issues with TROS but that scene isn't one of them.

One of my gripes with it is that not only was the X-Wing submerged, it was also scrapped for parts when Luke stranded himself. A portion of his wing for example was used as a door which was subsequently destroyed by Chewie.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I have huge issues with X-Wing scene precisely because it's fan pandering at it's worst. Luke pulling the X-Wing out of the water has no meaning for Rey, it's just there entirely for the audience.

On top of that it's executed poorly with zero of the majesty of the equivalent scene in Empire. If you are going to pander, at least do it well

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
They really don't need him for the show though. Lando was always somebody Han and Chewie encountered sporadically so they could either have him show up in a cameo once in a while (which seems very likely) or avoid the character entirely.

I love Glover in the role but it's an easy workaround.

Alden was ace as Han and I'd love to see his early smuggling career, early interactions with Jabba, etc.
I was referring to people saying it could be a Lando show. I agree with you. He could maybe show up once or twice and I know Alden and Joonas would sign on immediately.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of my gripes with it is that not only was the X-Wing submerged, it was also scrapped for parts when Luke stranded himself. A portion of his wing for example was used as a door which was subsequently destroyed by Chewie.

I never noticed that so I agree that's a bit lame. In theory Rey (with Luke's guidance) could have made repairs but yeah, I get your point.

It's sloppy, which is also true of much of TROS.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was referring to people saying it could be a Lando show. I agree with you. He could maybe show up once or twice and I know Alden and Joonas would sign on immediately.

Ah, I see.

Yeah, I doubt Glover would commit to that at this stage of his career.

But you're right that Alden and Joonas would be ready to sign.

I really hope it happens. I loved Solo and I'm still bummed it did so poorly at the BO.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have huge issues with X-Wing scene precisely because it's fan pandering at it's worst. Luke pulling the X-Wing out of the water has no meaning for Rey, it's just there entirely for the audience.

On top of that it's executed poorly with zero of the majesty of the equivalent scene in Empire. If you are going to pander, at least do it well

Let's be honest here, TROS is a film with a ton of pandering. I've made peace with its shortcomings but the level of fanservice was really something else, and not in a good way.

Hell, I'd argue Palpatine's entire return is pandering.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lets be real--if Luke had gone after Kylo/Snoke with the purpose of killing them ala Obi-Wan and Yoda then he'd have accomplished his goal.

He simply isn't that kind of person though, for better or worse.

That's he thing, isn't it?

Luke is a violence-as-a-last-resort type of guy, which is also supposed to be one of the prominent edicts of the Jedi. He wasn't going to kill his own father and he certainly wasn't going to go to Crait and kill his nephew.

What's really awesome about Luke's decision to project himself on Crait is that it demonstrates an almost immeasurable power and mastery of the Force yet he uses said power to defend instead of for overt violence.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Funnily enough the X-Wing scene was one of the few TROS parts I liked, I just thought it was neat to see one thing from TLJ paid off in the movie ha

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my top 10 list of scenes and moments from the sequel trilogy. Of course, most of them come from The Last Jedi.

FJawq66.jpg

10. The dying stormtrooper wipes blood on Finn's helmet.

The Force Awakens really knew how to introduce its characters. This is the perfect way to introduce Finn, it's his awakening. Blood isn't something we're used to in Star Wars, and in 2015 there was also something about seeing actual real stormtrooper armor again after getting CGI clone troopers in the last two movies. It all feels so real.

4f5AYM1.jpg

9. Luke on board the Falcon.

It's when we see Luke interacting with R2-D2 that we really see the Luke of the original movies for the first time - not that it wasn't Luke before, but the character for a moment without all of his grief and defeatism. Projecting the message from Leia works on two levels - it's a nice moment of R2 himself reminding him of the past, and it's the emotional wake up call that Luke needs to decide to train Rey. Everything about his relationship with Leia in this movie is perfect.

X2pMtSs.jpg

8. The Holdo maneuver.

And it's not just the hyperspace jump itself. It's the way the different plot threads are building up until this point, very Christopher Nolan like. Especially Kylo pleading with Rey to join him and the tug of war over the lightsaber.

aeqGf9F.jpg

7. Han appears to Ben.

From Rey basically killing Kylo to instantly regretting it to Han appearing to Ben, it's easily one of the most emotional sequences of the saga and the dialogue is perfect.

h7uemvG.jpg

6. Finding Luke, the Jedi steps.

The combination of the excitement of flying through hyperspace in the Millennium Falcon to find Luke, getting to Skellig Michael, the Jedi Steps music, and the first appearance of Luke Skywalker on screen in thirty-two years make this an all time great and memorable movie scene.

aP1pNl8.jpg

5. Ben Solo gets the Skywalker lightsaber.

The perfect payoff to both Rey and Ben's Force bond and Ben wanting his grandfather's lightsaber in Force Awakens when he wasn't worthy of it.

bneL26t.jpg

4. Luke is visited by the ghost of Christmas past.

The Luke and Yoda scenes are easily some of the best in the original trilogy, and it's quite an achievement to make a worthy follow up to that. The music on its own is emotional enough.

0XekZU7.jpg

3. Rey gets the lightsaber.

I get goosebumps every single time I watch it fly past Kylo and go into Rey's hand. Combined with the music used for when Luke saw his home burning and accepted his destiny. An all time great movie scene. Plus, I prefer this lightsaber fight to any of the fights of the prequels.

7XAMF38.jpg

2. Kylo Ren kills Snoke.

This scene is just unbelievably good. Not only was it a surprise to see Snoke die in the middle movie, but the flow of this scene. The way the lightsaber flies from Snoke and then Rey catches it, then Rey looking at Ben, then fighting together, all set to the Skywalker/Force theme. It feels absolutely triumphant.

WorSzMV.jpg

1. Luke meets Leia and faces Kylo Ren.

It couldn't be anything else. Never before has the brother-sister relationship between Luke and Leia felt so natural. It's easily the saddest and most emotional moment of all nine movies, as this really is Mark Hamill's goodbye to Carrie Fisher too. Everything that comes next is jaw dropping, and Luke goes out with the ultimate Jedi act.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my top 10 list of scenes and moments from the sequel trilogy. Of course, most of them come from The Last Jedi.

FJawq66.jpg

10. The dying stormtrooper wipes blood on Finn's helmet.

The Force Awakens really knew how to introduce its characters. This is the perfect way to introduce Finn, it's his awakening. Blood isn't something we're used to in Star Wars, and in 2015 there was also something about seeing actual real stormtrooper armor again after getting CGI clone troopers in the last two movies. It all feels so real.

4f5AYM1.jpg

9. Luke on board the Falcon.

It's when we see Luke interacting with R2-D2 that we really see the Luke of the original movies for the first time - not that it wasn't Luke before, but the character for a moment without all of his grief and defeatism. Projecting the message from Leia works on two levels - it's a nice moment of R2 himself reminding him of the past, and it's the emotional wake up call that Luke needs to decide to train Rey. Everything about his relationship with Leia in this movie is perfect.

X2pMtSs.jpg

8. The Holdo maneuver.

And it's not just the hyperspace jump itself. It's the way the different plot threads are building up until this point, very Christopher Nolan like. Especially Kylo pleading with Rey to join him and the tug of war over the lightsaber.

aeqGf9F.jpg

7. Han appears to Ben.

From Rey basically killing Kylo to instantly regretting it to Han appearing to Ben, it's easily one of the most emotional sequences of the saga and the dialogue is perfect.

h7uemvG.jpg

6. Finding Luke, the Jedi steps.

The combination of the excitement of flying through hyperspace in the Millennium Falcon to find Luke, getting to Skellig Michael, the Jedi Steps music, and the first appearance of Luke Skywalker on screen in thirty-two years make this an all time great and memorable movie scene.

aP1pNl8.jpg

5. Ben Solo gets the Skywalker lightsaber.

The perfect payoff to both Rey and Ben's Force bond and Ben wanting his grandfather's lightsaber in Force Awakens when he wasn't worthy of it.

bneL26t.jpg

4. Luke is visited by the ghost of Christmas past.

The Luke and Yoda scenes are easily some of the best in the original trilogy, and it's quite an achievement to make a worthy follow up to that. The music on its own is emotional enough.

0XekZU7.jpg

3. Rey gets the lightsaber.

I get goosebumps every single time I watch it fly past Kylo and go into Rey's hand. Combined with the music used for when Luke saw his home burning and accepted his destiny. An all time great movie scene. Plus, I prefer this lightsaber fight to any of the fights of the prequels.

7XAMF38.jpg

2. Kylo Ren kills Snoke.

This scene is just unbelievably good. Not only was it a surprise to see Snoke die in the middle movie, but the flow of this scene. The way the lightsaber flies from Snoke and then Rey catches it, then Rey looking at Ben, then fighting together, all set to the Skywalker/Force theme. It feels absolutely triumphant.

WorSzMV.jpg

1. Luke meets Leia and faces Kylo Ren.

It couldn't be anything else. Never before has the brother-sister relationship between Luke and Leia felt so natural. It's easily the saddest and most emotional moment of all nine movies, as this really is Mark Hamill's goodbye to Carrie Fisher too. Everything that comes next is jaw dropping, and Luke goes out with the ultimate Jedi act.

I like this list. Though imo the Yoda scene should be top 2.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry Drewton but your list appears to be missing Rey in the cave
You know I was just thinking about this scene, it's kind of weird how Rey goes from having the first real heart to heart talk with Luke when the sun is setting, to this scene here where she feels abandoned by Luke so she turns to the dark side and to Kylo. Of course, that's because of the deleted scene with the village, ending with her being really angry with Luke. I do feel like people may have felt frustrated by that scene, but cutting it does hurt the flow into this scene and had me feeling a little confused when I watched it the first time.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
You know I was just thinking about this scene, it's kind of weird how Rey goes from having the first real heart to heart talk with Luke when the sun is setting, to this scene here where she feels abandoned by Luke so she turns to the dark side and to Kylo. Of course, that's because of the deleted scene with the village, ending with her being really angry with Luke. I do feel like people may have felt frustrated by that scene, but cutting it does hurt the flow into this scene and had me feeling a little confused when I watched it the first time.
It's the only deleted scene from TLJ that I argue 100% should have been left in.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nP34vDO.gif

This is number 1 for me. The greatest Jedi feat in the history of forever. The whole theater audibly gasped. The music was incredible.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Holdo maneuver is the coolest visual thing to happen in Star Wars ever

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I spoiled that scene for myself a week before and I have to say I was a little confused how people believed Luke was actually there when he got blasted by half a dozen AT-ATs and nothing happened.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I spoiled that scene for myself a week before and I have to say I was a little confused how people believed Luke was actually there when he got blasted by half a dozen AT-ATs and nothing happened.
For that moment I believed Luke had ascended into literal Force God, and I was completely onboard with it. The actual reveal was still incredible though.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It would've been kinda nuts to assumed he was force projecting himself when I didn't even know that was a possibility.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The scene the first time is crazy 'cuws you wonder how he got there, why he looks different, how he survived and then he dodges Kylo's attacks by twisting all over the place. You get something is going on but never in a million years would I have jumped to the conclusion that he was projecting himself.

[edit]

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
nP34vDO.gif

This is number 1 for me. The greatest Jedi feat in the history of forever. The whole theater audibly gasped. The music was incredible.
Yep, big crowd pop in my theater at this reveal. So cool.

idk, could've been a million different things: he avoided the blasts and they'd actually all missed, he had raised a shield, he deflected them with his lightsaber, etc. The idea of projecting yourself like that was such a new concept, even if it did organically build on Rey and Kylo's (much more meager) projections, that it wasn't something I would've considered at all in the moment.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The scene the first time is crazy 'cuws you wonder how he got there, why he looks different, how he survived and then he dodges Kylo's attacks by twisting all over the place. You get something is going on but never in a million years would I have jumped to the conclusion that he was projecting himself.
During my first viewing I didn't even notice his hair was less grey and his beard was shorter, I thought he just changed clothes lol. On further viewings you start noticing things like his foot not pushing the salt on the ground, etc.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that I disliked about Luke's return is never getting a glimpse of his Green Saber outside of the flashback scenes.

s-l400.jpg

That is and will always be my favorite saber.

I'm assuming some Porg has it now.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that I disliked about Luke's return is never getting a glimpse of his Green Saber outside of the flashback scenes.

s-l400.jpg

I mean, it's his saber. The obsession with Anakin's lightsaber is weird. He killed kids with it. It's prominence never sat well with me in regards to the ST.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

s-l400.jpg

That's the other thing why I didn't know how people believed Luke was really there, we just saw that same lightsaber snap in half.

And him using the blue one on Crait was him symbolically taking the lightsaber Rey offered him in the beginning.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
I don't think the prequels are loved. People think good memes = good movies.

Generally speaking, there are a few moments and characters that some people loved (including myself), darth maul vs Qui Gon & Obi wan, Podracers, Anakin vs Obi, I'm the senate, the expanded lore and universe, so on and so forth. It's star wars.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
Also, Star Wars is not dead, and it never will be. Could it be for a group of "hardcore fans" now... But when Disney or Lucasfilms throw them "KOTOR live series" or "KOTOR remake game" they will be back in the game again. It rhymes, is like poetry.

History repeats itself