• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1. BB-8 Thumbs Up
I saw this movie multiple times in theaters, and no sight gag popped harder. It's funny, adorable, inventive and a perfect distillation of our perfect little round buddy.

giphy.gif

This shit gets me every time.
Love it so much.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Man, all these lists and not a single mention of the resonant, minimalist genius of Rey's introduction scene. I'm disappointed.

TDY2.gif

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
One small-but-meaningful-because-its-small problem I have with TROS: the narrow scope of planets seen celebrating at the end of the movie. This whole sequence is already a retread of ROTJ in idea anyway, but the fact that we only see Bespin (just like ROTJ), Endor (just like ROTJ), and Jakku (in lieu of Tatooine) makes it feel really derivative and small. Where's Coruscant, Naboo, Crait, Canto Bight? Or Kashyyk, or Hoth? Hell, even if you want to keep it just to the worlds JJ played with, what about the planet where Maz's castle was? What about Passana? What about Ach-To?

What I liked about the lightspeed skipping sequence is we get really brief glimpses of other worlds without having to commit time or story real estate to them, but for the movie being billed as the end of the Skywalker Saga, this ending montage would've been such an easy layup to showcase so many more of the planets we've seen across the nine films and their collective fighting back against the First Order. Feels like a huge missed opportunity that could have been so easily corrected by adding a couple more shots.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
One small-but-meaningful-because-its-small problem I have with TROS: the narrow scope of planets seen celebrating at the end of the movie. This whole sequence is already a retread of ROTJ in idea anyway, but the fact that we only see Bespin (just like ROTJ), Endor (just like ROTJ), and Jakku (in lieu of Tatooine) makes it feel really derivative and small. Where's Coruscant, Naboo, Crait, Canto Bight? Or Kashyyk, or Hoth? Hell, even if you want to keep it just to the worlds JJ played with, what about the planet where Maz's castle was? What about Passana? What about Ach-To?

JJ is a Star Wars fan and that means that only what he likes and finds meaningful counts as Star Wars.

I'm being semi-sarcastic.

curb

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be a long week to wait for Clone Wars. I can't believe we're finally this close. This does my little heart good.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the Takodana arrival sequence, with Rey commenting on the greenery, Han's look of what I take as pity. Hell when they land too and he offers her a job. It's all really nice.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
MY TOP TEN MOMENTS IN THE SEQUEL TRILOGY

1-10

ddxyjxaihqw11.jpg

Leia-The-Last-Jedi-Space.jpg

UnrealisticMinorBorer-size_restricted.gif

tears in my eyes and jaw on the floor. absolutely magical moment

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
You know seeing all these top 10 lists for the sequel trilogy really helps put things into perspective as a whole. Despite whatever stumbles that make it hard to see the forest for the trees, this stuff was actually really fucking good.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
When are we expecting a 4K Bluray release? Eagerly awaiting it.. If I remember correctly both TFA and TLJ were April?

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Top 10 Scenes of the ST

1. Luke's final showdown in TLJ
Luke finishes up in TLJ literally defining what it means to be a Jedi. Non-violence peace keeping. He protects the ones he loves rather than fighting what he hates. He does not make a single attack towards Kylo and wins the day.
This is what being a Jedi is about.
This scene is what the sequel trilogy will be remembered for.
This is one of the *only* action blockbusters ever where the final showdown is not a fight full of violence but a monk meditating across the stars doing his best to not fight. It's a fascinating ending to Luke's journey as a Jedi & a masterstroke. Thank You Rian

2. Han's Death
A beautifully shot & haunting scene.

3. Han & Kylo TROS
One of the few resonant moments in TROS for me. How this scene reflects Han's death and ends up being different is masterfully done.

4. Rey's intro in TFA
Minimalistic with the defining musical theme of the ST

5. TLJ bombers run in the opening
What a fantastic set piece. Fun, thrilling and well made. And important as a base for Rose's character as her sister dies.

6. Han telling Rey/Finn about the Jedi in TFA
A beautiful scene excellently acted by Harrison Ford...you can see his sorrow for Luke being missing here.

7. Luke & Leia scene in TLJ
Sad this is the only scene with them but it is brilliantly done

8. Kylo stops the blaster shot in TFA opening
What a fantastic intro to Kylo Run this scene was. Straight away illustrating great power.

9. Yoda in TLJ
A lovely scene at a much needed point for Luke

10.Luke lifts the x-wing in TROS
Yeah yeah shoot me. This is a wonderful scene and fan service and awful...but its wonderful too lol.

What shocks me is none of the lightsaber battles impressed me at all enough to even include in the top 10 LOL. The TFA one is the only lightsaber battle in the ST I like.

Edit:
Wait how did I forget the ending of TFA

Rey handing the lightsaber to Luke .....amazing scene and a great cliffhanger. Guess I would slot that in at around 4/5

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
lol is this real? Y'know what, don't even tell me if it isn't because I'm headcanoning it anyway:

The Knights of Ren did a Queer Eye makeover on young dork Ben!

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did this god forsaken fandom actually got John? He tweeted this a couple days ago

Of course that could be nothing related to SW but he has also been getting a lot of shit lately who he had to respond like

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
This is probably one of those things that everybody knows but me, but it's still cool to find out. The tree in TLJ was designed by the production designer to look like the Jedi Order symbol. So cool. The movie never stops giving.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably one of those things that everybody knows but me, but it's still cool to find out. The tree in TLJ was designed by the production designer to look like the Jedi Order symbol. So cool. The movie never stops giving.

I always knew the Jedi one but I never realized the Sith one, very cool

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I think Yoda in TLJ is probably my favorite scene in the sequel trilogy. Might be the most well executed fanservice scene in cinematic history. It's soooooooo good.

Rey grabbing the lightsaber is a close second.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

So, I guess this is actually happening?

I wonder how non-Star Wars productions interfere with Lucasfilm as a whole.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the season 3 episode of the Clone Wars "Hunt for Ziro." It is wonderfully weird. Spoilers ahead for the episode.
  • A Hutt with a monocle.
  • A Hutt chomping a cigar
  • A Hutt sporting a pencil mustache.
  • Quinlan Vos
  • Dancers in bikinis.
  • Dancers in bikinis wearing Hutt face headdresses.
  • Sy freakin' Snootles!
  • Sy Snootles being entirely too sensual.
  • Sy Snootles kissing Ziro
  • There's an actual DJ who does an honest-to-god record scratch when the Jedi show up.
  • Ziro escapes in a swamp boat!
  • Everything about Ziro's mom.
  • Sy's an assassin!
  • Obi-Wan with two lightsabers.
  • Obi-Wan v. Cad Bane lightsaber fight
What a ridiculously fun episode.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I'm watching the season 3 episode of the Clone Wars "Hunt for Ziro." It is wonderfully weird. Spoilers ahead for the episode.
  • A Hutt with a monocle.
  • Quinlan Vos
  • Dancers in bikinis.
  • Sy freakin' Snootles!
  • There's an actual DJ who does an honest-to-god record scratch when the Jedi show up.
  • Sy's an assassin!
Ziro's southern belle accent might be the worst thing in all of Star Wars. I hate it lol

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
  • A Hutt with a monocle.
  • Quinlan Vos
  • Dancers in bikinis.
  • Sy freakin' Snootles!
  • Sy's an assassin!

I manage to forget this episode's existence every time I consider a rewatch, which is a bummer because it's weirdness that TCW definitely needed more of (and less "oh no the Pykes are poisoning the children's tea" arcs)

Wait, who the hell is directing Indie 5?

Spiel....burg?

Wait, who's writing it?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my top 10 list of scenes and moments from the sequel trilogy. Of course, most of them come from The Last Jedi.

FJawq66.jpg

10. The dying stormtrooper wipes blood on Finn's helmet.

The Force Awakens really knew how to introduce its characters. This is the perfect way to introduce Finn, it's his awakening. Blood isn't something we're used to in Star Wars, and in 2015 there was also something about seeing actual real stormtrooper armor again after getting CGI clone troopers in the last two movies. It all feels so real.

4f5AYM1.jpg

9. Luke on board the Falcon.

It's when we see Luke interacting with R2-D2 that we really see the Luke of the original movies for the first time - not that it wasn't Luke before, but the character for a moment without all of his grief and defeatism. Projecting the message from Leia works on two levels - it's a nice moment of R2 himself reminding him of the past, and it's the emotional wake up call that Luke needs to decide to train Rey. Everything about his relationship with Leia in this movie is perfect.

X2pMtSs.jpg

8. The Holdo maneuver.

And it's not just the hyperspace jump itself. It's the way the different plot threads are building up until this point, very Christopher Nolan like. Especially Kylo pleading with Rey to join him and the tug of war over the lightsaber.

aeqGf9F.jpg

7. Han appears to Ben.

From Rey basically killing Kylo to instantly regretting it to Han appearing to Ben, it's easily one of the most emotional sequences of the saga and the dialogue is perfect.

h7uemvG.jpg

6. Finding Luke, the Jedi steps.

The combination of the excitement of flying through hyperspace in the Millennium Falcon to find Luke, getting to Skellig Michael, the Jedi Steps music, and the first appearance of Luke Skywalker on screen in thirty-two years make this an all time great and memorable movie scene.

aP1pNl8.jpg

5. Ben Solo gets the Skywalker lightsaber.

The perfect payoff to both Rey and Ben's Force bond and Ben wanting his grandfather's lightsaber in Force Awakens when he wasn't worthy of it.

bneL26t.jpg

4. Luke is visited by the ghost of Christmas past.

The Luke and Yoda scenes are easily some of the best in the original trilogy, and it's quite an achievement to make a worthy follow up to that. The music on its own is emotional enough.

0XekZU7.jpg

3. Rey gets the lightsaber.

I get goosebumps every single time I watch it fly past Kylo and go into Rey's hand. Combined with the music used for when Luke saw his home burning and accepted his destiny. An all time great movie scene. Plus, I prefer this lightsaber fight to any of the fights of the prequels.

7XAMF38.jpg

2. Kylo Ren kills Snoke.

This scene is just unbelievably good. Not only was it a surprise to see Snoke die in the middle movie, but the flow of this scene. The way the lightsaber flies from Snoke and then Rey catches it, then Rey looking at Ben, then fighting together, all set to the Skywalker/Force theme. It feels absolutely triumphant.

WorSzMV.jpg

1. Luke meets Leia and faces Kylo Ren.

It couldn't be anything else. Never before has the brother-sister relationship between Luke and Leia felt so natural. It's easily the saddest and most emotional moment of all nine movies, as this really is Mark Hamill's goodbye to Carrie Fisher too. Everything that comes next is jaw dropping, and Luke goes out with the ultimate Jedi act.
nP34vDO.gif

This is number 1 for me. The greatest Jedi feat in the history of forever. The whole theater audibly gasped. The music was incredible.
My top 10 moments of the ST:

10. Fighting Over the Skywalker Saber - The Last Jedi:
Rey-Kylo-The-Last-Jedi-Cropped.jpg

9. Rey and Chewie Leaving to Find Luke - The Force Awakens:
1498753356-chewbacca-and-rey.png

8. Lando Saves the Day - The Rise of Skywalker:
resistance-fleet-tros.jpeg

7. Reveal of Meditating Luke - The Last Jedi:
starwars_lastjedi_movie_screencaps.com_16378.jpg

6. The Holdo Maneuver - The Last Jedi:
HoldoKamikaze.jpg

5. Ben and Rey Face Palpatine - The Rise of Skywalker:
741135ed2acaa519c0594002c336b8f846d76c61.jpg

4. Luke and Leia - The Last Jedi:
maxresdefault.jpg

3. The Jedi Steps - The Force Awakens:
jedi.jpg

2. Han and Ben - The Rise of Skywalker:
EMN-rOaWwAACY30.jpg

1. Yoda and Luke - The Last Jedi:
EL3P4dNU0AEWyaO.jpg
My Top 10 Cutest Moments of the Sequel Trilogy

10. BB-8 trying to wake up R2.
A perfect blend of old and new, sad and cute. I can't wait for the kids cartoons where R2 and BB-8 go on adventures together.
r2d2-bb8.gif

9. Porg lightsaber gag
It's a credit to Rian Johnson for how quickly he can make us all go "No, stop touching that" like we're all concerned parents.
giphy.gif

8. Rey meets Poe
This is unfair because everyone makes this face when they meet Oscar Isaac. It's also unfair because I would have loved to see a ReyPoe romance in Duel of the Fates. I'll settle for this gif, though.
latest

7. Puppet Yoda is back
Bringing back Yoda as a puppet isn't just about design. It's about how he moves. How cute Muppets are when they animate properly. Glad to see our little green Space Kermit back and looking adorable. <3

source.gif

6. *insert Eyes emoji*
We all looked. And then looked again. Then were confused by the pants. Then looked some more. This is a "cute" list, not an "oh my" list, but I couldn't not include it.

kylo1.gif

5. Babu Frik
The Rise of Skywalker is a divisive film, but the one thing everyone agrees on is Babu Frik. We must protect this smart boy at all costs.

tenor.gif

4. No eat Porg
Chewy rips men's arms off, but nobody can resist a sad looking Porg. (I bet they taste yummy, tho)

giphy.gif

3. Poe rubs BB-8's belly like a puppy.
C'mon. We all want to do it.

-1Rtg4MgV47sbZJJ_eOVLxTN-etjLbFCDY8oPC86RjaFoAuyRzIGzTV90V-oKKq6j7L3FOHA1c1SoQg_MVBCS42PIzXOBICQnmyf5mpO42O_jMgO1TmV0J3IxRWVcZAuUlOdoxhHKxeVpILvSVDsHJSgmxkHil3tStUY

2. Porg Co-pilot
After Han Solo died, Chewy needed a new co-pilot. The ship was gifted to Rey, but we all know who Chewy really wanted by his side.

tenor.gif

1. BB-8 Thumbs Up
I saw this movie multiple times in theaters, and no sight gag popped harder. It's funny, adorable, inventive and a perfect distillation of our perfect little round buddy.

giphy.gif
What's crazy is that TLJ had most of the best scenes in the entire ST and yet the Rey/Luke/Kylo stuff was easily the main best thing about it compared to everything else. The Canto Bight and Resistance plots were not as good as the Rey/Luke/Kylo stuff, but not bad either. If those other plots were as good I would consider it one of the best ever, as it is the movie is really good but definitely not my overall fave. The finale in TLJ was definitely a highlight though.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why I never came into this thread before. It's nice to see just...niceness around SW and not all the big hate haha.

I dunno! I loved the ST (despite the messiness of TROS), love the characters, all I have is love haha.

Love! ❤️

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I never came into this thread before. It's nice to see just...niceness around SW and not all the big hate haha.

I dunno! I loved the ST (despite the messiness of TROS), love the characters, all I have is love haha.

Love! ❤
I 'm glad you finally joined it, welcome aboard! Yeah, come here to be safe from all the SW hate as well.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I 'm glad you finally joined it, welcome aboard! Yeah, come here to be safe from all the SW hate as well.

Yay :D

It's just nice to not have all the anger around it haha.

(Something something anger leads to hate, etc. Why is the SW fan base always so angry when its general message is basically "love"? Lol)

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars speaks to the child in us. Unfortunately, it also speaks to the child in us.

Too true lol. Poor SW.

Anyway! I hope John Boyega is doing okay. The last couple months seem to have been up and down for him.

Really, I just want Daisy, John, and Oscar to be IRL friends. :D (I do hope that John and Oscar get to hang out or do another movie together.)

af497941e0ccf7bbd8ba2b6a8840e9bec7db71ba.gifv

Last edited:

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously doubt Taika will be doing a SW film anytime soon. He's shopping a TV series with Jude Law that he will write and is also expected to direct.

deadline.com

Jude Law & Taika Waititi Team On ‘The Auteur’ Limited Series Eyed By Showtime

Showtime is in negotiations for The Auteur, a limited series from Jojo Rabbit writer-director Taika Waititi and starring Jude Law.
If he does not want to do a movie... I hope he returns to mando once in a while.