• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people say that TROS doesn't have any standout shots in comparison to TLJ but now that it's out on digital it's time to reassess it, it really does have some fantastic shots, some that seriously look like concept art. A shame about the strength of the color grading throughout though.

vmcuOxe.jpg

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people say that TROS doesn't have any standout shots in comparison to TLJ but now that it's out on digital it's time to reassess it, it really does have some fantastic shots, some that seriously look like concept art. A shame about the strength of the color grading throughout though.

vmcuOxe.jpg

IDK... most of these shots don't really impress me.

TFA was a better looking movie.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

I'm sorry, you can't argue with canon. Rey wore white, Ben wore black, they stood in front of a high-ranking official of their religion, performed a ritual, kissed: they're married.

Something old: Sheev
Something new: Rey and Ben
Something borrowed: the lightsabres
Something blue: the entire fucking movie

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, you can't argue with canon. Rey wore white, Ben wore black, they stood in front of a high-ranking official of their religion, performed a ritual, kissed: they're married.

Something old: Sheev
Something new: Rey and Ben
Something borrowed: the lightsabres
Something blue: the entire fucking movie
mL0f3s6.gif

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

She even wore white and he wore black which makes it double canon.

PJrXPBR.gif

vmcuOxe.jpg

Damn son, shit is more turquoise than the Fellowship of the Ring blu-ray

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oof

For context, Deadline reported about yesterday's Mando casting and referred to the initial report from MSW as just "noise" without mentioning or linking to Jason's article. They (the same writer) did the same thing to Slashfilm last week regarding the Ahsoka scoop but eventually added a credit and now:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
That's the dude who thought they were making an Exegol movie 'cus he misread a joke and then never changed the story.

[edit]

Jason Ward re-tweeted me bringing that up. Lets get messy.

E1MDomZ.gif

I can't believe that guy works for Deadline, though. He gives them a bad name.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Twas bad.

A thousand generations live in you now... but this is your fight sounded like Mark had just woke up and read off the script.
Luke's scenes were easily some of the best of Last Jedi and Mark's acting was better than ever, even his silent scene in TFA was great. I don't know how his one scene in IX (aside from the X-wing lift) ended up being possibly the worst scene of the movie. It was supposed to feel like the Luke of old but ironically he somehow seems less like Luke than ever.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The teal tint may actually be so overbearing that an edit can't save it, but here's my attempt at colour correction.

eiDVHWD.jpg

j0d4IDT.jpg

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

vmcuOxe.jpg

These arent great, looks like ILM created them

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

vmcuOxe.jpg

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
We had people laughing in the theater during that Luke scene. Presumably because of the hair and not the odd line reads, but still. Something seemed to be off for lots of people.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Really hoping Disney + add some kind of 'making of' show to The Mandalorian at some point or some kind of 'all access' after show next season. Currently piecing together random YouTube vids from when it originally aired in the US but it's a pain in the ass trying to avoid spoilers for future episodes

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

vmcuOxe.jpg
It's not that it wasn't a gorgeous film, SW is undoubtedly the most beautiful action adventure film franchise atm. The issue is that they hacked it up to pieces so very few shots are given the breathing room they truly deserve.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's not that it wasn't a gorgeous film, SW is undoubtedly the most beautiful action adventure film franchise atm. The issue is that they hacked it up to pieces so very few shots are given the breathing room they truly deserve.

It is also way too blue and especially on Exegol, every shot feels like Silent Hill 2 on the PS2 with extra fog to hide the rough parts. You can definitely tell that they reached a point in production where they just had to get this shit on film as quickly as possible without any real pre-viz. The lighting tennis between Rey and Sheev is shot so blandly.

Compared to TFA and TLJ the photography feels very cheap. I doubt the Ahch-To set was much different from the one they used before but it looks artificial in TROS. The whole film has that feeling, like every scene was constructed 5 minutes before the cameras started rolling.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The emperor's throne room being as intact as it is is funny. The Death Star blew up, floated through space, and then crashed on a planet, where its been subject to wind and waves for 30 years, but the chair is still fixed in place!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It is also way too blue and especially on Exegol, every shot feels like Silent Hill 2 on the PS2 with extra fog to hide the rough parts. You can definitely tell that they reached a point in production where they just had to get this shit on film as quickly as possible without any real pre-viz. The lighting tennis between Rey and Sheev is shot so blandly.

Compared to TFA and TLJ the photography feels very cheap. I doubt the Ahch-To set was much different from the one they used before but it looks artificial in TROS. The whole film has that feeling, like every scene was constructed 5 minutes before the cameras started rolling.
Like this movie really needed more time in the oven. Honestly astounding what they accomplished visually given the amount of time they had.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember the blue tint being that bad in the theater, especially in Kylo's quarters

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed in the Disney plus version of TLJ. I could not stop noticing the film grain. But then again, the 4K blu ray version might be like that as well.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After learning more about the novelization there are two things that should have happened in the movie:

1. We should have gotten the entire scene on Mustafar - Movie could have started with a First Order Star Destroyer coming out of hyper space. Cut to the interior going down a hall. The viewer can hear the message sent out by Palpatine: "At last the work of generations is complete...." but in a more faint and echo like manner. "The great error is corrected. The day of victory is at hand." Cut to Kylo Ren in his quarters meditating. "The Day of revenge. The day of the Sith!" As soon as the word Sith is said, a First Order officer enters his quarters "Supreme Leader, we are approaching the Mustafar system".

And play out the scene as it was in the novelization.

2. If they wanted to have their Endgame moment then they should have gone all out similar to the novelization. Have the bit in the book where the Ghost crew shows up (and show Jacen and Hera), show Phantom and Alphabet squadron, show Zay and Shriv for Inferno Squad and show Kaz and Yeager in their racers. Also my boy Wedge was done dirty and should have been in the movie for much more, or more screentime during the final battle going into the last scenes at the celebration.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Honestly the whole first 30 mins of the film coulda used a re cut. Though I simply need to see it again only seen it the once in theaters.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
TROS was also a let down in the action department.

The chase in Pasanna suffers from some pretty noticeable green screen, and feels toothless. When Rey and Co. storm the ship to rescue Chewie, Poe and Finn just run into hallways and mow down Storm troopers.

The Rey and Kylo fight on the death star ruins is alright, but there's too many close up shots and it doesn't feel as "epic" as it should.

The biggest WTF was the final space battle though. When Lando and the rest of the cavalry arrives, I thought were about to get a space battle for the ages... and then we don't see it.

Last edited:

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
yeah as a sw space battle fan, the final battle didn't do much for me in TROS, sadly. i remember watching rebels finally for the first time around the time TROS came out and the season 3 end space battle in rebels is even better than anything in the sequel trilogy actually. (TLJ opening space battle is cool and everything but that really felt more like a skirmish) thank god for Rogue One in that regard, which for me is on par with ROTJ or may be even better, i go back and fourth honestly.

still, i liked the lightsaberin' in TROS, that was good action for me. both the death star ruins and on exogol later, liked both those fights. even as brief as it was, the luke and leia fight was dope. even though the CGI faces kinda took me out there at the end