• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Aww, that's a shame. I'm still hoping this happens someday. Not even so much for myself (the film's like a 6 to me?) but for my roommates. They both thoroughly enjoyed it and periodically ask me if Disney+ will continue it somehow.

I'd love to see Qira's arc furthered regardless.

A 6 episode Q'ira wrap up arc is one of my most wanted Star Wars things.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
A 6 episode Q'ira wrap up arc is one of my most wanted Star Wars things.
I'm not sure of the timelines, but it could be a fun thing to revisit in Cassian. A rebel spy in the nascent rebellion probably had more than a few interactions with the criminal underworld. She seems like she'd be sympathetic and, assuming she's still alive, come into some considerable degree of power (especially in light of the fact that at some point Maul got himself stranded on Malachor, the obvious story to tell being she sabotaged his ship to assume control).

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure of the timelines, but it could be a fun thing to revisit in Cassian. A rebel spy in the nascent rebellion probably had more than a few interactions with the criminal underworld. She seems like she'd be sympathetic and, assuming she's still alive, come into some considerable degree of power (especially in light of the fact that at some point Maul got himself stranded on Malachor, the obvious story to tell being she sabotaged his ship to assume control).
Give it to me

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a weird bug where I watch the movies on Disney+ and all the text is in French. I'm in Canada.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Something I just noticed rewatching Empire tonight, in the scene in Yoda's hut when he reveals who he is it's lit by fire, just like Luke and Yoda's last scene together.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao looks like I wildly overestimated the desire in the Star Wars OT for digital copies of the films (though I guess we, of all places, would already have them)

Still, congrats to the two who won the giveaway!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I like how that B1 is in front of his general and one of the most famous Jedis alive and he's not even looking at them. That dude gives no fucks.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was so confused to see this in my Discord list today:
c02e79e2d2911c5fae28b123e848fdf7.png

It's r/StarWars' april fools joke

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Never noticed this before

It's insane how much better ROTS's VFX have aged than the other two prequels.

It's the only one of the 4K Prequel discs that I actually bothered to rip (despite still being upsampled 2K); the CG is far more detailed and better composited than the other two films. Plus, the color and overall "look" (way less DNR smoothing, for one) is much improved over the others.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such a missed opportunity

I bet JJ and company were sitting in an Endgame screening in April 2019 going "Awww.........fuck. How fast can we reshoot? Who can we get? God dammit"

Like between this and the idea of all the Force ghosts coming to help Rey, how do you miss a layup that easy

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao looks like I wildly overestimated the desire in the Star Wars OT for digital copies of the films (though I guess we, of all places, would already have them)

Still, congrats to the two who won the giveaway!

giphy.gif

Got TLJ in 4K, thanks so much!!

I bet JJ and company were sitting in an Endgame screening in April 2019 going "Awww.........fuck. How fast can we reshoot? Who can we get? God dammit"

Like between this and the idea of all the Force ghosts coming to help Rey, how do you miss a layup that easy

It's legit mind blowing. Even CGI versions of the jedi in their primes ala the Luke and Leia training scene would have sufficed.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

Because JJ is good with what's nostalgic for him, but not others. He doesn't give a shit about any other characters except the OT ones.

Now I'm sadder too!

Haven't brought myself to watch TROS again now that it's out on digital. Liked the movie and saw it twice, but the whole mood around it was so blagh, that I'd rather just finish watching Resistance and keep watching Clone Wars (plus, I'm still on Star Trek mode after Picard).

Anyway, what's all this I'm hearing about Disney cancelling construction of the Star Wars hotel?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

"I am all the Sith" and "I am all the Jedi" was a reshoot after Endgame.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

Aaaaah the best part is that it's not just a fan service moment, but good storytelling to have the fleet be audibly comprised of the actual people that Poe was previously evangelizing instead of a nameless monolith of ships + Zorri and Babu

And Lando's cackle after all the chatter is perfectly timed; it works so much better than the corny line in the official edit

Last edited:

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017

I don't fully buy this as superior. I think the best would be more early setup or foreshadowing to land the moment from within the film, not this more fanservicey approach. The biggest sin of this clip is where they begin the music, with the fanfare from the begninning main theme. The actual scene nailed the music, instead using the rolling transition into the theme found in the credits, which is perhaps the most hype-building and celebratory bit of music from the whole saga.

The simplicity of Lando and leaning on John Williams is better filmmaking in the moment IMO, though maybe not as satisfying on reflection from a broader storytelling perspective.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Celebration website seemed to have a slight update on their tickets page. According to some, this was just added today:
In the event that we postpone or cancel Star Wars Celebration we will offer fans the option to either transfer their tickets to the new event dates or receive a full refund of their ticket order.

- Star Wars Celebration

--> To our Star Wars Celebration Fans and Friends, At Star Wars Celebration, the health and safety of our fans, attendees, exhibitors, guests and staff is always our number

It's odd timing for me because I saw Rooster Teeth tweet today about moving the dates to RTX and was hoping Celebration would do the same:

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The Celebration website seemed to have a slight update on their tickets page. According to some, this was just added today:

- Star Wars Celebration

--> To our Star Wars Celebration Fans and Friends, At Star Wars Celebration, the health and safety of our fans, attendees, exhibitors, guests and staff is always our number

That's good. Wonder how/if the hotel reservations would transfer as well, in that instance.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I got my copy of The Art of The Rise of Skywalker yesterday. It's narrower in scope than I was hoping. There's not a single word about, and not a single piece from, the Trevorrow/Connolly days. The two are never even mentioned. As far as the book is concerned, Abrams and Terrio were the first to take on the movie. Likewise, there's nothing at all about Palpatine. No art, no mentions, nothing. There are a handful of pieces from Exegol, but none from the final battle on the ground. Aside from some quotes from a meeting held in May 2014, there's nothing from before the fall of 2017. This was disappointing. I was hoping the delay meant that it would include art that would have been held out to protect spoilers, but it didn't. I wasn't expecting there to be art from Duel of the Fates, but I still wish it did. All that being said, it's still a great book. As expected, it's filled to the brim with amazing art. There are great pieces from every phase of production. Costume designs, props, creatures, settings, storyboards, there's stuff from all of them. And there's plenty of information about unused story ideas for the Abrams/Terrio version of the movie. For instance, at one point the MacGuffin was going to be a device that was essentially a kill switch for the First Order. There's concept art of a couple of attempts at this device. There's also a decent amount of behind-the-scenes information. There are dates for when crewmembers joined the production and when principal photography began and ended and even when certain sequences were shot.

I updated the article I wrote covering every major Star Wars screenplay draft to include some new details, including a date for the first shooting draft for The Rise of Skywalker, and which scripts are available to read.

On a related note, Phil Saunders, an artist who worked on the film, posted a piece that's not in the book (as far as I can tell):

8lvLAEY.jpg

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of hope that after the fight with Rey Ben had been waiting for Finn and the others on the Falcon, piloting it and telling them how to get to Exogol.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Got lots of time so I've been experimenting with color grading the new HDR files, amazing what you can do with the range. I'm trying to give ROTS a more film like look.

The top is 8 bit SDR, the bottom uses the data from 10 bit HDR for colour grading back to 8 bit. Pretty excited to see what I can do for TROS next.

AlT39Ol.jpg

fFDx2mv.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I got my copy of The Art of The Rise of Skywalker yesterday. It's narrower in scope than I was hoping. There's not a single word about, and not a single piece from, the Trevorrow/Connolly days. The two are never even mentioned. As far as the book is concerned, Abrams and Terrio were the first to take on the movie. Likewise, there's nothing at all about Palpatine. No art, no mentions, nothing. There are a handful of pieces from Exegol, but none from the final battle on the ground. Aside from some quotes from a meeting held in May 2014, there's nothing from before the fall of 2017. This was disappointing. I was hoping the delay meant that it would include art that would have been held out to protect spoilers, but it didn't. I wasn't expecting there to be art from Duel of the Fates, but I still wish it did. All that being said, it's still a great book. As expected, it's filled to the brim with amazing art. There are great pieces from every phase of production. Costume designs, props, creatures, settings, storyboards, there's stuff from all of them. And there's plenty of information about unused story ideas for the Abrams/Terrio version of the movie. For instance, at one point the MacGuffin was going to be a device that was essentially a kill switch for the First Order. There's concept art of a couple of attempts at this device. There's also a decent amount of behind-the-scenes information. There are dates for when crewmembers joined the production and when principal photography began and ended and even when certain sequences were shot.

I updated the article I wrote covering every major Star Wars screenplay draft to include some new details, including a date for the first shooting draft for The Rise of Skywalker, and which scripts are available to read.

On a related note, Phil Saunders, an artist who worked on the film, posted a piece that's not in the book (as far as I can tell):

8lvLAEY.jpg
Under normal circumstances I would have picked up the artbook already but my regular online book store has shut up shop.

The lack of Palpatine is baffling. I had presumed one of the main reasons for the delay was so they could include the more spoiler-filled content.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got lots of time so I've been experimenting with color grading the new HDR files, amazing what you can do with the range. I'm trying to give ROTS a more film like look.

The top is 8 bit SDR, the bottom uses the data from 10 bit HDR for colour grading back to 8 bit. Pretty excited to see what I can do for TROS next.

AlT39Ol.jpg

fFDx2mv.jpg

Nice. The last pic dare I say reminds me a bit of the TLJ color palette.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
So it turns out that we might be the reason for the art book not having any Palpatine.

There's not really anything in the book about Palpatine. Is there a reason why he's not there?

It's a pretty simple reason. There's no grand conspiracy here or anything. It's purely for security, for preserving the surprise for the audience seeing the movie, because this book went to print six months prior to its original release date in December and if, God forbid, pages leak out or the book gets shipped to bookstores and the bookseller opens the box.... That actually did happen on The Force Awakens. Snoke was revealed a bit early because Snoke appeared in The Art of The Force Awakens. So just avoiding that is purely what it comes down to.

The first look at Snoke came from some one at the old place taking a picture of a copy of The Art of The Force Awakens.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The first look at Snoke came from some one at the old place taking a picture of a copy of The Art of The Force Awakens.

Ha, I remember that. Well, I guess we're just reaping the fields we sowed, in the end.

Here's hoping they dump the unreleased art online at some point; can't imagine any other outlet for them, unless they want to go full Capitalism and do a The Art of The Rise of Skywalker: Part II

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
So it turns out that we might be the reason for the art book not having any Palpatine.
Wait, why did the book get delayed then?

Ironic...the whole plot leaked out in August and we had a picture of Palpatine in September.

Sometimes they worry too much about preserving surprises for their own sake, I doubt too many people will be thinking about buying a baby Yoda next month.

Nice. The last pic dare I say reminds me a bit of the TLJ color palette.
Thanks!

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Colin Trevorrow wrote Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and he still delivered a great Episode IX script

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Would it kill Kathy to hire a woman or PoC writer?

Also I like how half the reaction to this is just "eh he'll be out in a few months anyway"

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
What surprise

Sheev is revealed 5 minutes into the film and he just looks like his ROTJ self with white eyes.

That was another reason for the lack of Palpatine:

Plus, with Palpatine, his look did not deviate too far from the Palpatine we knew from the prequels and the original trilogy. It wasn't this huge design evolution or anything. It's Palpatine. We know who he is. I mean, it would've have been great to include Glyn Dillon's designs for Palpatine in the book, but we didn't want to spoil that surprise.

It was revealed well in advance of the film, but we have no way of knowing that when we're putting these books together, and we don't want to be the ones to reveal it. Yeah, I don't want to be the one responsible for letting that go. So, that's purely what that's about.