• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Slightly off-topic, but what do these warning signs have to do with toxicity in fandom?
Those props are very expensive, personal property and most times painstakingly handcrafted by their owners.

I think he meant it symbolizes that the toxic fanbois don't want anyone to 'touch the franchise' (aka alter it, introduce new idea's, have diversity etc)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off-topic, but what do these warning signs have to do with toxicity in fandom?
Those props are very expensive, personal property and most times painstakingly handcrafted by their owners.

Yeah, i was talking about the somewhat ironic symbolism of it all. Of course, neither would i want anyone to break my (hypothetical) expensive props.
I was simply drawing parallels how certain parts of the Star Wars fandom is ... needlessly and toxically overprotective of the franchise they're so heavily invested in.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
If Attack on the clones or Phantom Menace came out today twitter wouldn't have been kindly to George Lucas or Hayden

I use to field calls for a fairly popular tv show from fans and...well let's just say if I could get 3-4 am phone calls from fanatics for this children show then I'm 100% sure that during the prequel time that ILM and Lucasfilms got bombed with phone calls and hate letters all the bloody time directed to Lucas or Hayden.

I don't think the time has changed much, just makes it easier to give everyone a voice

Schmeedtz

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, i was talking about the somewhat ironic symbolism of it all. Of course, neither would i want anyone to break my (hypothetical) expensive props.
I was simply drawing parallels how certain parts of the Star Wars fandom is ... needlessly and toxically overprotective of the franchise they're so heavily invested in.
Ah, from that angle!
Then I agree wholeheartedly :)

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I love how they assume boys will completely lose interest and fail to connect with new stories just because they star characters of the opposite gender, despite the fact that girls have had no problem doing that for ages due to how much media is unbalanced in favor of male protagonists.

And then they say women are the minority in genre fiction audiences, completely lacking the self-awareness to realize that the kind of attitude they show in the clip is a big reason why women avoid these types of fandoms in the first place.

Ugh.

I've never listened to RFR and after hearing/reading about them, I'll be glad to stay far away. There are a lot of great SW podcasts out there to listen to instead.

And poor Andi having to put up with this nonsense. Hopefully RFR will stay off Twitter and stop taking part in inciting the hateful crap that goes on in this fandom.
Hit the damn nail on the head here. Bunch of hypocrites.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
3 thoughts:

1) Andi is a treasure and fantastic at her job.

2) As much as I loved Star Wars Oxygen and was miffed when it stopped, the rest of the RFR feed is junk and problematic. I'm glad David W Collins has been able to do his own show away from this crap.

3) We all kniw this shit isn't isolated to these guys. A large chunk of people who claim to be Star Wars fans are human garbage. It's reached the point where even on Era, the only place I want to engage in conversation about the franchise is in the Community OT.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the lot of them.
36863942_2103238729963677_4399252181438431232_n.png

What the hell is going on in fandom, especially Star Wars fandom? I just don't get it. Where is this need to act this way?
This is the result of when people tie their whole existence to a title (i don't want to say franchise or IP. I hate those terms) , "geek culture" continuing infantilising of culture as a whole, and gate keeping bullshit.

It's always been this way, and reason we know about it now is because of the internet.

Sorry if this sounds rambly. I don't know how best to articulate my thoughts about this situation as a whole.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why is Ethan Van Schiver in all those posts? He's a comic artist. Please tell me he's not in on this shit too.

Van Schiver is a complete Bigot, he's at the forefront of the "fight against diversity in comics".

Used to do the "Oh my Sinestro-Hitler cover was just irony you guysss, I'm just a normal Republican" Schtick.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't think I can bear being labelled a Star Wars fan, it's just fucking embarrassing at this point.

It's like a microcosm of the world and it just depresses me that everywhere I turn I see people shitting the bed because not everything caters to them instantly and exclusively. It's like there is no room any more for compromise or understanding, just automatically defaulting to extremism and disregarding everything else. The lack of self awareness is immense.

I don't know who these people are but I hope their show rots. Fuck them and fuck everyone that thinks like them and does the things they do. I'm glad this planned harassment backfired, I hope it kills them.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I have a feeling the fanbase hasn't become more toxic, there a just more ways for people to express themselves.

If Attack on the clones or Phantom Menace came out today twitter wouldn't have been kindly to George Lucas or Hayden
I'm not sure, the special editions were more hated then the prequels.
And they could attack them right now and are not.
But they are films with white male leads.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This delusional idea that some "fans" have that the people who poured work and sweat in that product you didn't like are somehow expected to turn their back to their work and their employers to lower their heads in shame and apologies is one of the things that makes such a theorycally absurd label as "manbaby" actually accurate.

I didn't like TLJ much, but I fully expect the people who worked on it to be proud of what they did and to be persuaded of the goodness of their work at all stages of their effort.

If I ever meet Rian Johnson in a lift and in a burst of insanity I start telling him "Hey I think the writing in your movie sucked because of this and this and that" I don't expect him to say "I'm really sorry about it", I'm expecting him to say "Dude fuck off". And he'd be right to.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I'm not sure, the special editions were more hated then the prequels.
And they could attack them right now and are not.
But they are films with white male leads.

Not everything has to do with racismn. The 1997 versions got loads and loads of criticism. There are plenty of SW fans that don't even consider them canon. People still hate George Lucas and Hayden because of the Force Ghost thing. Even though Hayden didn't even now they put him in SW6.

The SW Fandom has always been split about things. Luckily for the Jar Jar actor and Hayden, Things like social media weren't as big in the early 2000.

In time people will get over SW8 and find new things they don't like. That does not make SW8 a good movie though. It's going to take some time for the franchise to recover.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

Ahmed Best almost jumped off a fucking bridge because of the way fans treated him. Jake Lloyd developed schizophrenia and is in a mental institution.

I know this story, that's why I added him to the list. Can you imagine how things would have gone if things like Twitter had existed when Episode 1 fist released?

Never disliked Jar Jar that much to be honest.but that's another topic.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man I hope some day soon Ahmed and Jake can be welcomed and greeted wholeheartedly with warmth and joy the same way Hayden was at the most recent Celebration.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Man I hope some day soon Ahmed and Jake can be welcomed and greeted wholeheartedly with warmth and joy the same way Hayden was at the most recent Celebration.

It's fucked up that I can read this sentence and be like "Yeah me too, that'd be a great day"

It's movies for god's sake. The fuck have people done to it.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's fucked up that I can read this sentence and be like "Yeah me too, that'd be a great day"

It's movies for god's sake. The fuck have people done to it.
I mean, I know that they would be welcomed and cheered and people would lose their damn minds and show up hard to support those two and Hayden again if he were to return. That could happen TODAY I guarantee the entrance welcome those people would receive would be deafening. It'd be cool to see them at a Celebration someday, but I wonder if the day will ever come that Jake Lloyd would ever feel it's worth it.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I mean, I know that they would be welcomed and cheered and people would lose their damn minds and show up hard to support those two and Hayden again if he were to return. That could happen TODAY I guarantee the entrance welcome those people would receive would be deafening. It'd be cool to see them at a Celebration someday, but I wonder if the day will ever come that Jake Lloyd would ever feel it's worth it.

I don't know how you could go through what they went through and want anything to do with the fan base at all, in any way shape or form. I'm surprised Hayden put an appearance in to be quite honest. I really feel for Kelly and Daisy having to deal with all of this shit above the "normal" criticism regarding character and performance.

I wonder if Lucas himself ever reflects on what he has brought into the world outside of the actual films and feels regret.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want some good entertaining and sane Star Wars podcasts check out:
Blast Points
Full of Sith
Black Series Rebels
Now This Is Podcasting
Steele Wars
Rebel Grrrls
Skytalkers
ForceCenter
Star Wars Underworld
The ForceCast
Lattes With Leia
Who Talks First?
Canto Bight Dispatch
Rogue Won

All are funny, entertaining, positive, and non-insane. All of these are weekly or multiple times a week.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you want some good entertaining and sane Star Wars podcasts check out:
Blast Points
Full of Sith
Black Series Rebels
Now This Is Podcasting
Steele Wars
Rebel Grrrls
Skytalkers
ForceCenter
Star Wars Underworld
The ForceCast
Lattes With Leia
Who Talks First?

All are funny, entertaining, positive, and non-insane.
I second this, all those shows are great - Blast Points being my fave.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Jake had a Twitter account and streamed on Twitch a lot prior to his breakdown incident. Used to talk to him and he seemed normal until that thing with his mom and his car. Always felt sorry for him for how people demonized him.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many of you were around during the days of the Hal's Emerald Advancement Team for the Green Lantern comics? This shit's been bubbling for some time.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A large, large contingent of SW fans are trash people. The RFR dudes have always been a little odd too.

Edit: How is EVS still slugging around Twitter like he has anything important to say? So weird.

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Jake had a Twitter account and streamed on Twitch a lot prior to his breakdown incident. Used to talk to him and he seemed normal until that thing with his mom and his car. Always felt sorry for him for how people demonized him.

Did Jake really get that much hate? I always was under the impression he went down the same pad as Edward Furlong.

The story of Hayden Christensen I always find very depressing. He was such a talented actor staring in movies like Shattered Glass and Life as a House. Then SW EP2 came.

The Jar Jar case is sad. The actor always seems to really, really like Jar Jar. It must have been devastating for him that a lot of people hated the character. Wasn't there even a Jar Jar skeleton in one of the Force Unleashed games? It reminds me a bit of the Simpson Poochie episode where everyone but Homer hated Poochie.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to bump this old thread but does anyone know from which episode those comments originated from? The audio clips on twitter have been deleted it seems.