• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, considering that the whole point he wanted to make was, 'boys and girls can be close friends without inevitably becoming lovers', I'd say it would indeed affect Rebels, and run contrary to his intentions.

Like, hey, people can ship who they want to ship, but I think Sabine and Ezra make far better friends than they ever would lovers, and I'm glad Filoni seems to agree.
Like I said, I agree in the context of rebels it works as it is. But it wouldn't be a bad thing to bring in a similar relationship that Kanan and Hera had in the next series.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Guys, its a kids cartoon. Yes, its meant to be canon, but they make these shows for kids. You guys should be happy they get away with on-screen deaths, characters being shot, etc. to begin with.

They're kids cartoons meant to sell toys. Most adults who watch the movies will never touch these shows with a 10 foot pole. If they make an adult Star Wars cartoon it'll probably be on their streaming service, let these be for the little kiddies.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ was the end of the road for Luke but he still had time to do amazing shit in the post ROTJ pre TLJ era.

It's going to happen again, isn't it? Almost everyone hated Anakin in the prequel trilogy but then Filoni ended up making him a total badass in The Clone Wars.

Since people are super divided about Luke in the sequel trilogy, I wonder if a new show would focus a lot on Luke actually getting to do stuff and letting us see what he was like after he defeated Palpatine but before Ben destroys whatever hope Luke had for a new Jedi Order.

I just really hope they get Hamill to voice him. He'd probably love doing it.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Guys, its a kids cartoon. Yes, its meant to be canon, but they make these shows for kids. You guys should be happy they get away with on-screen deaths, characters being shot, etc. to begin with.

They're kids cartoons meant to sell toys. Most adults who watch the movies will never touch these shows with a 10 foot pole. If they make an adult Star Wars cartoon it'll probably be on their streaming service, let these be for the little kiddies.
Clone Wars was like Saving Private Ryan compared to this show.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 5 episodes into season 2 now, can't wait to get to the finale based on these impressions.

I just finished the episode where they get Rex and bring him back to Ashoka. When they hug and he says I'm glad your still alive, man the feels. These cartoons really are some of the best Star Wars content.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017

tumblr_inline_o3heb6V92K1s421qo_500.gif

XAL

Oct 27, 2017
I cry.

Satisfying conclusion.

Can't wait to see what Sabine and Ashoka get up to.

Hope Filoni gets more animation series.

people dismissing this and clone wars as kid shit to shill merch, take your low effort troll posts and piss off

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The targeting at kids is absolutely true for Rebels and absolutely hurt the show. Clone Wars by comparison was targeted at everyone, like the rest of the franchise. I hope Filoni's next project is more like that again.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The targeting at kids is absolutely true for Rebels and absolutely hurt the show. Clone Wars by comparison was targeted at everyone, like the rest of the franchise. I hope Filoni's next project is more like that again.

What is Dave Filoni's status? And in all likelihood, which network will air the next animated Star Wars series? At this point, anything less than their upcoming streaming service will be a disappointment.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

If The Clone Wars show is the max at what grittiness they can do but can't anymore, then I'd hope the next show is somewhere between TCW and Rebels. Rebels went too far to the other side, which actualy ended up hurting the show since they were limited in some of the portrayals of war.

I dunno how many times they could've just killed a baddie but didn't or how many times there was a death fakeout.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is Dave Filoni's status? And in all likelihood, which network will air the next animated Star Wars series? At this point, anything less than their upcoming streaming service will be a disappointment.

Filoni is working on the new animated series which is almost certainly going to premiere on Disney's streaming service in the fall of 2019.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL

Dave Filoni is basically in charge of everything having to do with animation. He was promoted to Supreme Leader.
It will probably be on the Disney streaming service next, although we don't know anything at this point.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahsoka and Sabine buddy film? Hmm...

Sabine never grew on me, but I'll take more 'Soka any day. Also, where the hell did Ezra go with no windows and a high ranking imperial officer as a hostage?

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a link but a saw some people on Reddit saying that Filoni confirmed that wasn't done because of Solo and that both teams just came up with the same idea. Might be bullshit since it's Reddit, but I saw enough people talking about it that it might be true...maybe.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Real question is whether they actually give Filoni real money to make the next series. Rebels was such a terrible downgrade visual wise from TCW that it's not even funny.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I barely notice a difference graphics wise from Rebels and Seasons 1-4 of Clone Wars.

It was really only the 5th and 6th seasons of Clone Wars that got a noticeable budget/animation boost. Do you guys realize the first season came out in 2008....literally 10 years ago? 2008-era CG doesn't look that good today.

DarthGoomba

Oct 30, 2017
Real question is whether they actually give Filoni real money to make the next series. Rebels was such a terrible downgrade visual wise from TCW that it's not even funny.
Yep, my biggest issue with Rebels is that the worlds always felt so empty. On the last episode of Rebels Recon, they even mentioned that they didn't want the world to feel empty in the last episodes, which gave them a challenge because of rendering power required.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys realize the first season came out in 2008....literally 10 years ago? 2008-era CG doesn't look that good today.
Which is why the budget cuts to Rebels are that much sadder.

This is ten years old and looks better than Rebels. I think the only thing Rebels has over The Clone Wars is some better facial animation. The scale, production and battle animations are better in The Clone Wars. This is not a dig on the Rebels crew, they just didn't have the budget. It's not their fault.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The budget between Clone Wars and Rebels is the perfect example between George Lucas and a massive conglomerate corporation. Lucas was a business man, but he was also a filmmaker and story teller at heart. Clone Wars was a passion project so he let them go wild with the visuals and didn't really care about the costs. On the other hand, Disney is a strict business and its shareholders ultimately only care about the bottom line. That means you can't just sink a bunch of money into an animated show that runs on Disney XD.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
All I want now, is live Action Ahsoka. Maybe even a Star Wars Story film on her.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
But don't you want to know how Obi got his first lightsaber

or up and coming Jedi master who is wide eyed idealist named Mace

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The budget between Clone Wars and Rebels is the perfect example between George Lucas and a massive conglomerate corporation. Lucas was a business man, but he was also a filmmaker and story teller at heart. Clone Wars was a passion project so he let them go wild with the visuals and didn't really care about the costs. On the other hand, Disney is a strict business and its shareholders ultimately only care about the bottom line. That means you can't just sink a bunch of money into an animated show that runs on Disney XD.
Or the more simple explanation of a dad spending a lot of money on his daughter.

Oct 25, 2017
Obi-Wan hasn't even gotten a film yet, there is no way they are giving a whole film to a relatively unknown character. They still got plenty of OT shenanigans to mine.
Before Rebels I thought Obi-Wan would have been a perfect movie for Ahsoka.
Ahsoka would be more like Kanan was originally(lightsaber as the last resort, etc) working with the Rebels.
She discovers Obi-Wan's location(something that Maul also comes upon)
Ahsoka goes to recruit Obi-Wan to the Rebel Alliance
Obi-Wan sells the audience on her backstory
Obi-Wan accidentally slips up and reveals the truth about Vader, Ahsoka then sneaks off to confront Vader.
Obi-Wan goes to stop her but is confronted by Maul.
Ahsoka vs Vader plays out about the same
Obi-Wan vs Maul similar but a tad more intricate.

After Rebels im definitely glad its not that.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Hasbro made more Rebels toys. I would love a blind kanan fig.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This a bad post.

First -- If Rebels was created to sell toys, then it did a terrible job. There are barely any Rebels toys.
This
Since the show released in 2014 in the main Star Wars line there has been
Actual Vehicles:
Phantom(so undersized it was pointless)
AT-DP
Empire transport(so undersized it was pointless)
Inquisitor's fighter
Ezra's speeder bike
Hera's A-Wing

Figures:
Kanan(S1)
Ezra(S1)
Callus(S1)
Grand Inquisitor
Sabine(with permanent helmet) vs Stormtrooper
Hera vs Sandtrooper
Kanan(Stormtrooper armor)
Rex
Leia
Ahsoka vs Vader
Maul vs 7th Sister
Sabine(S2 with removable helmet)
Fenn Rau

And as far as the 6" Black Series goes, its 4 entire years later with the show now over and the main character was never made.

That is like 1 wave in quantity of early season Clone Wars merchandise(not to mention the quality was far better)
Disney and Hasbro just didn't care about Rebels for whatever reason.

Heck even in Disney's parks the extent of any Rebels acknowledgment after the premiere is

Last edited:

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This
Since the show released in 2014 in the main Star Wars line there has been
Actual Vehicles:
Phantom(so undersized it was pointless)
AT-DP
Empire transport(so undersized it was pointless)
Inquisitor's fighter
Ezra's speeder bike
Hera's A-Wing

Figures:
Kanan(S1)
Ezra(S1)
Callus(S1)
Grand Inquisitor
Sabine(with permanent helmet) vs Stormtrooper
Hera vs Sandtrooper
Kanan(Stormtrooper armor)
Rex
Ahsoka vs Vader
Maul vs 7th Sister
Sabine(S2 with removable helmet)
Fenn Rau

And as far as the 6" Black Series goes, its 4 entire years later with the show now over and the main character was never made.

That is like 1 wave in quantity of early season Clone Wars merchandise(not to mention the quality was far better)
Disney and Hasbro just didn't care about Rebels for whatever reason.
Support was actually pretty good early on through the first two seasons, but it really dropped off. There's been practically nothing since the Sabine S2 and Fenn Rau and Thrawn. I've never ever seen a Fenn Rau on the pegs and that's a fig I really want.
You'd think they want to put out a wave now that it's all wrapped with Blind Kanan, with or without mask, updated Ezra, seriously no Ezra with Green saber yet. Updated Kallus, Mon Mothma would be cool, Rebels Saw, Ketsu, Mart, Pryce, Rukh. They should make a Ghost vehicle, maybe an X-wing. All those Mandalorian people come on those outfits are gorgeous, give us some mando love.
I really wish they'd make the FX sabers (40$ plastic ones with LED sequenced light strings in the plastic tube) for Kanan and Ezra's sabers.

Last edited:

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
The budget and overall marketing support for Rebels was sad, but I did come to appreciate the overall art direction and animation more than in Clone Wars. These last couple of seasons have looked really crisp in HD (largely thanks to the necessary minimalism) and there have been some beautiful images. The animation improved a lot as they presumably built up and upon assets, and the character-focused scope often let them get away with very little (but also was glaring in the lesser episodes). I think the highs were often higher but maybe less frequent in Rebels compared to TCW, while the lows were more meh than some of the outright terrible clunkers in TCW.

I do think the shift to a larger platform like Disney's streaming service may give the next series a boost. Relegating Rebels to XD without any Netflix like deals really limited this show's potential IMO. Based on the quality of some of the episodes, and especially this last season, they clearly have the heart and talent to achieve genuine greatness, it's a damn shame they didn't seem to have the means to fire on all cylinders from beginning to end (as opposed to mostly just at the beginning and ends).

Oct 25, 2017
Support was actually pretty good early on through the first two seasons, but it really dropped off. There's been practically nothing since the Sabine S2 and Fenn Rau and Thrawn. I've never ever seen a Fenn Rau on the pegs and that's a fig I really want.
You'd think they want to put out a wave now that it's all wrapped with Blind Kanan, with or without mask, updated Ezra, seriously no Ezra with Green saber yet. Updated Kallus, Mon Mothma would be cool, Rebels Saw, Ketsu, Mart, Pryce, Rukh. They should make a Ghost vehicle, maybe an X-wing. All those Mandalorian people come on those outfits are gorgeous, give us some mando love.
I really wish they'd make the FX sabers (40$ plastic ones with LED sequenced light strings in the plastic tube) for Kanan and Ezra's sabers.
Yup, its really sad with all the options early Clone Wars era Hasbro had and would have made.
Amazed Ketsu at least didn't get a figure.
The prototype B-wing as a high-end vehicle, a Sabine painted Tie, the transports from the last few episodes would have been great

People say the Ghost wasn't viable but Hasbro released this in the "Rebels" line
knowing full well they were making another new Falcon to release soon after with TFA.
It was only like $50(because it was shitty) but 100% should have been the ghost.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The budget and overall marketing support for Rebels was sad, but I did come to appreciate the overall art direction and animation more than in Clone Wars. These last couple of seasons have looked really crisp in HD (largely thanks to the necessary minimalism) and there have been some beautiful images. The animation improved a lot as they presumably built up and upon assets, and the character-focused scope often let them get away with very little (but also was glaring in the lesser episodes). I think the highs were often higher but maybe less frequent in Rebels compared to TCW, while the lows were more meh than some of the outright terrible clunkers in TCW.

I do think the shift to a larger platform like Disney's streaming service may give the next series a boost. Relegating Rebels to XD without any Netflix like deals really limited this show's potential IMO. Based on the quality of some of the episodes, and especially this last season, they clearly have the heart and talent to achieve genuine greatness, it's a damn shame they didn't seem to have the means to fire on all cylinders from beginning to end (as opposed to mostly just at the beginning and ends).
That's a good thing to be hopeful about, yeah the assumed move to the Disney streaming service should encourage a larger budget.
I've never minded the lower key art style for Rebels, and yes it certainly shines a lot more in S3 and S4 on crisp HD, often it has been quite beautiful.