• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Was about to say that they've outsourced a lot of the animation to Polygon Pictures out in Japan, and they do a lot of work in this style, including Tron. The stiffness is due to them trying to emulate the look of '2s' (holding posts for a set amount of frames) in 3D, which has never really worked in my personal opinion. One of the projects I'm on is doing it, and when I saw some of the test footage of them trying 2s vs 1s, I ended up a little disappointed that they chose that aesthetic. From a technical level, you're fighting the computer, and it shows when you're working in a full 3D environment. Maybe of the shading gets flatter, but fluid motion is one of the plus sides of 3D animation.

Sorry, getting off my rant now. Hoping the show turns out well.

Looking at this again, it looks like they're animating on 1s, which is a huge improvement from Tron and a lot of their output. The animation itself is physically stiff, so that comes down to the staff and rigging, and most likely a time crunch.
Thanks Lux, that was quite interesting and enlightening to read about.

For Tron personally I didn't notice it as much (partly because the masks often covered faces) and because the storyboarding and way the action scenes were framed was so good it took my attention away from it. Hopefully Resistance has some good staff in charge of the show.
Absolutely love the look, but what's with the 10PM time slot? Is this not a kids show?
I think it is, but yeah the timeslot's a bit weird. Hopefully the Disney Channel isn't like Disney XD where scheduling/poor timeslots endoff killing off some good shows ratings.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
This really is an odd show, the first public look just released now? Less than 2 months away from launch, this doesn't show a huge investment into this project or confidence, if anything this is a side project that probably wont last long.

In comparison, Rebels had promotion going for it more than 6 months in advance, including merch everywhere. Disney parks had Rebels characters already being shown off in their parks with actors, Rebels merch was everywhere, the promotion is strong. We've had zero anything for Resistance and even still no merch in sight. Lack of merch is a killer for animation projects.

Eh, this is a much cheaper animation style than what was used in Clone Wars and Rebels.
22 episode season.

Same production company that did TCW.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually shit, I thought this was Filoni's next big show but according to this article:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08...-wars-final-season-revival-disney-dave-filoni

It looks like it will be a far more hands off with new talent given the limelight... On one hand that could be good but now I'm more skeptical of the show.

Edit: Suddenly this not following up on the ending of Rebels makes a lot more sense.

Filoni got promoted to running the whole animation division, so he's more like George on TCW now rather than handling things day to day. He came up with Resistance but isn't directing it - he's got TCW season 7 to do anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Was about to say that they've outsourced a lot of the animation to Polygon Pictures out in Japan, and they do a lot of work in this style, including Tron. The stiffness is due to them trying to emulate the look of '2s' (holding posts for a set amount of frames) in 3D, which has never really worked in my personal opinion. One of the projects I'm on is doing it, and when I saw some of the test footage of them trying 2s vs 1s, I ended up a little disappointed that they chose that aesthetic. From a technical level, you're fighting the computer, and it shows when you're working in a full 3D environment. Maybe of the shading gets flatter, but fluid motion is one of the plus sides of 3D animation.

Sorry, getting off my rant now. Hoping the show turns out well.

Looking at this again, it looks like they're animating on 1s, which is a huge improvement from Tron and a lot of their output. The animation itself is physically stiff, so that comes down to the staff and rigging, and most likely a time crunch.

So animating on twos on those other shows was an aesthetic choice rather than a budgetary constraint? I always assumed it was a cost cutting measure to basically halve the amount of rendered frames.
Or maybe it's a bit of both.

But I agree that's not what it looks like is going on here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The cel shading really helps hide the lower budget Rebels animation. That's what Rebels should've done.

Ah I disagree.

Clone Wars and Rebels at least had a strong artistic direction. Kinda like claymation.

This looks insanely bland and mediocre visually and very "early cel shading" era. Just looks very poor to me.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this one positive thing, the ship designs actually look interesting. Where the hell where these fighters in TFA?

Ah I disagree.

Clone Wars and Rebels at least had a strong artistic direction. Kinda like claymation.

This looks insanely bland and mediocre visually and very "early cel shading" era. Just looks very poor to me.

Nah, Clone Wars looked amazing. Rebels looked consistently terrible.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that looks godawful. Why shows these days insist on using that ugly cheap-ass 3d animation is beyond me.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Isn't that what people said about Rebels compared to Clone Wars?

Was kinda true, Rebels for the most part was not as violent as Clone Wars. They pulled many punches, lot more off screen deaths, and in season 2 onward especially they often changed it to those who got shot were shown to be still moving on the ground and not dead. There was a clear reduction in violence going into Rebels and even it's most violent moments were tame or showed less than what TCW did.

22 episode season.

Same production company that did TCW.

That doesn't really mean anything? We have zero merch and they only are just now promoting the show with a single trailer less than 2 months from release, that doesn't show much confidence or a long term investment. The animation style is a cheaper type of production, the cel shading completely removed the need of complex texture art assets as well as simplified geometry. It's stylish while also cost savings.

The studio that worked on this is Polygon Pictures. They worked on Transformers Prime, Transformers Robots In Disguise, and Netflix Godzilla.

Studio doesn't matter, the budget is what matters. Same studio using different budgets and techniques is going to produce different results.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, this is a much cheaper animation style than what was used in Clone Wars and Rebels.
You think so? The most noticeable thing about the trailer to me is the complexity and subtlety of the movements.

The facial animations, I'm not so sure if are better or worse than Rebels, seemed off at first but as the trailer went on it seemed better.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
You think so? The most noticeable thing about the trailer to me is the complexity and subtlety of the movements.

The facial animations, I'm not so sure if are better or worse than Rebels, seemed off at first but as the trailer went on it seemed better.

The cel shaded style reduces work load on the artists as it's typically computer generated flat colors. In TCW and Rebels for examples, artists had to actually draw the textures on every item in the show for example. The cel shading is a much simpler technique that is very stylish and cartoony, but also a cheaper method. So like on a ship panel you have flat surface with a color applied to it, sometimes with an effect like a shine or such, while with Rebels style of artwork they had to have someone draw/paint up that entire panels skin essentially. These cell shaded shows are much quicker and cheaper to produce.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
The cel shaded style reduces work load on the artists as it's typically computer generated flat colors. In TCW and Rebels for examples, artists had to actually draw the textures on every item in the show for example. The cel shading is a much simpler technique that is very stylish and cartoony, but also a cheaper method. So like on a ship panel you have flat surface with a color applied to it, sometimes with an effect like a shine or such, while with Rebels style of artwork they had to have someone draw/paint up that entire panels skin essentially. These cell shaded shows are much quicker and cheaper to produce.
Oh you meant like, literally cheap to produce. I was thinking cheap-looking, which the fluidity of the animations seem to suggest otherwise.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's just a short trailer probably just for the pilot, but that did nothing for me and I think I hated it

Oct 25, 2017
That art style is absolutely disgusting,

honestly i'd have taken Forces of Destiny's cheap art over that
forces-of-destiny-newest-recruit-sabine-tall.jpg

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that... looks terrible.

I'm glad Clone Wars is getting a new season otherwise I'd be worried Lucasfilm thinks the lesson to be learned from Rebels is to go with even lamer comedy.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So animating on twos on those other shows was an aesthetic choice rather than a budgetary constraint? I always assumed it was a cost cutting measure to basically halve the amount of rendered frames.
Or maybe it's a bit of both.

But I agree that's not what it looks like is going on here.

It depends on the studio. For Polygon, I assume it's a bit of both, and am positive that they're rendering everything on 2s. I have to be careful about how much I say about our project since I'm NDAed, but for us we have different framerates on different layers and rendering everything out as if it were 1s. We're also a multi-rendering package studio, so that choice is probably to maintain timing, but it still is a bit of an odd one.

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the studio. For Polygon, I assume it's a bit of both, and am positive that they're rendering everything on 2s. I have to be careful about how much I say about our project since I'm NDAed, but for us we have different framerates on different layers and rendering everything out as if it were 1s. We're also a multi-rendering package studio, so that choice is probably to maintain timing, but it still is a bit of an odd one.
Videogames often use similar tricks, with animations close to the camera running at full speed and those far from the camera running at half fps.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I dont think it looks too bad, personally. And while I do like and enjoy Poe, I'm just not really feeling this. Will check it out on release to really be sure. However, one of my nephews loves these shows. So he will be excited for this. Thats cool.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I don't envy the story team that has to write decent story content for this era. We'd have been better off with legit Han/Leia/Luke focused stuff taking place a few years after RotJ.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The cel shading really helps hide the lower budget Rebels animation. That's what Rebels should've done.
This! God, I hated the way that show looked, but this looks so much more vibrant despite the obvious limitations in production.

The ships and flying look great... I am really hoping the majority of the show takes place in the sky and space.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I realized what this reminded me of: that Tron animated series! Except this animation is way more fluid.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't envy the story team that has to write decent story content for this era. We'd have been better off with legit Han/Leia/Luke focused stuff taking place a few years after RotJ.
Why? New characters to develop, a pretty unexplored era to deepen and expand ... it's a writer's wet dream.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Why? New characters to develop, a pretty unexplored era to deepen and expand ... it's a writer's wet dream.
Yeah it gives them a lot more freedom than what rebels did and no more OT wank

Not saying the show would be good but it gives writers a lot breathing room than the previous cgi shows

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The more I look at it... It doesn't give me that Star Wars feel that TCW and Rebels gave me.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Needs more outlines to keep the dynamic cel shader from obscuring the shape of the models

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like the style, and the tone doesn't catch my interest either. Cel shading can look great in video games, but tends to make TV and film look really cheap.

Then again I wasn't sold on Rebels at first either, and it grew on me, so I'll at least give it a chance.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Still not as pretty as CW but going with cell shading definitely cleaned up a lot of the issues I had with Rebels. Environments, characters, and lighting look so much better.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Filoni wasn't necessarily involved day to day with the second half of Rebels either. It was the point at which he was promoted to oversee the whole animation division.
He basically had everything set up before leaving though
And as some of the concept art shows the show was further ahead than it initially seemed when that was first discussed.
For example the Epilogue Sabine model was completed like 2 months after the announcement Filoni was promoted.

Not saying i won't watch it, my excitement is just far lower especially with this art now.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Woof, this looks pretty bad. Not the same tone as Clone Wars or Rebels either. Rebels animation was fine to me, I barely noticed the lower budget.

This almost looks like a videogame, and not in a good way.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
animation and style are on point imo. good compromise of being "modern" while capturing some of that pre-mid 00's 'animated' aesthetic

show though doesn't look to be my thing. if i was digging the sequel trilogy i'd watch it to see how things are fleshed out like i did with clone wars but as somebody in his mid 30s... nah i'm good