• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
They could have cut the meaningless, 20 minute "we need to hack C-3PO" subplot. Nothing happens, and 3PO's memory wipe walked back a few scenes later. Give them time for actual character development.

I figured there be a payoff with C3PO getting his prequel memories back, but nope. It's nothing but filler.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I didn't care for her story (really the entire side mission with Finn) in TLJ but I wouldn't have had a problem if she got more screen time in TRoS.

The character wasn't so much of a problem in TLJ, it was the story she was dealt.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who comes in this thread and uses the apologetic remark of "she wasn't interesting or good in TLJ anyway, so she didn't need to be in ROS," the correct opinion (instead of that) is: Then JJ could have written her better material, if material was the only problem you had with her.
Yeah I definitely didn't like how she was written and didn't like the useless sideplot they threw her (along with Finn) in.

But the answer to that isn't to sideline her. They chose the easy way out.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like most of the hatred of Rose is an intersection of racism, sexism, and conventional attractiveness (i.e. if she looked like Daisy Ridley fewer people would complain)
The amount of people that show their asses when they say "now how about her sister, now there was an interesting character. They should have swapped places." I can't.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most of the hatred of Rose is an intersection of racism, sexism, and conventional attractiveness (i.e. if she looked like Daisy Ridley fewer people would complain)

Nah. It is known both Rose and Finn cannot get meaningfully written arcs at the same time. It is a zero sum game.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm glad there Is pushback over this, she easily could have done some of the things the new characters did ( but then how would they sell their inevitable D+ series ). Actress deserved better

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This trilogy has been such a waste of potential. I completely avoid all SW threads cause they're always a shitshow, but this right here with KMT has been the biggest letdown.
Fuck JJ and fuck Disney.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was actually one of the very few characters that I liked and was looking forward to seeing more of.

What they did with her character in the new movie is an embarrassment.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
Yeah. It's really strange, and hard to understand why he did that.
Like he almost doesn't care about this franchise, and simply goes for the saves and simplest choices

Or Lucasfilm/Disney paid him to deliver by a certain date whilst meeting all the criteria on their mandate. (Which was focus-tested to hell and back)

JJ wasn't sitting with his thumb up his arse trying to figure out how to develop characters. He was rushing to deliver what he was hired & paid to do after Treverow was sacked.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't say that, but I really doubt JJ did this because he's racist or even because of the backlash from TLJ.

He seemed to want to revert much of the things TLJ did so that Rise was more like a sequel to Awakens.

Racism is still racism regardless if it is intentional or not.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
Didn't say that, but I really doubt JJ did this because he's racist or even because of the backlash from TLJ.

He seemed to want to revert much of the things TLJ did so that Rise was more like a sequel to Awakens.
Except you kind of did. You are saying that JJ casting a white woman and a black man means he's not racist somehow for curbing this Asian woman. That's not how any of that works. Second to that, JJ sidelined this character to cater to racist fans... but he's not a racist so it's okay.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't find her scenes in TRoS particularly damning, and thought they were fine. Ultimately, her character simply wasn't particularly well written or portrayed in TLJ, and I can see why JJ would prioritise the other characters in TRoS, including both the old as well as the new.

The other characters just seemed more interesting or had better chemistry amongst each other. Even Finn's connection with Jannah felt more earnest than his relationship with Rose in TLJ, and likewise Zorii was really cool too.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They said her name twice. She doesn't get any considerable screentime until the last 30 minutes

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I didn't find her character to be particularly interesting in TLJ so I can't say it bothered me all that much. But then again they introduce throwaway characters like Zorii and Jannah, even though they were cool enough they just came and went, so they could've had Rose tag along instead, I guess. I don't think it would've made much of a difference if all those three characters had been axed tbh, the movie was mainly about Poe, Finn, Rey and Ben anyway.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
The entire movie is a trainwreck, even "important" characters like Lando and Leia got shit scenes. In hindsight, I think it was better for the Rose character not to endure another shitty side quest fueling the hatred. Yes, ideally we'd have a competently written story for her in the movie but judging by the quality of the picture we got, that was never a possibility.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What they did in TROS was a slap in the face — it didn't feel natural at all how sidelined she was.

What felt unnatural about it? All things considered, she was just a random resistance member who happened to get roped into the specific events of TLJ. She wasn't a skilled fighter and there was nothing to suggest she would even want to be fighting on the frontlines.

Oct 28, 2017

I mean, damn. How could anyone argue with this logic? 🙄🙄🙄

On topic:

Could they have given Rose a few extra lines back at home base? Sure, whatever. But that's beside the point. Poe, Finn and Rey have had chemistry from minute one of TFA, and all I wanted was to see the 3 of them in one place going on an adventure (without adding people for the sake of just being there), and I'd imagine that's what Abrams wanted as well.

Sometimes "choices you didn't like" don't automatically == "pandering to internet shitheads/Russian bots" just because the ends were the same. Not liking a choice is one thing, but ascribing sinister motivations to that choice just because "internet" is unacceptable.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
ejks4ygv7w541.jpg
The moment Finn says that they cant just throw a ship against Palpatine's fleet, using hyperspace, I felt that JJ was making a movie to answers the forums.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The more I think about ROS, the more utterly disappointing it is.

They should have the Marvel team run the SW division.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There is no excuse whatsoever for attacking her as a person and who she is off the big screen but as for her character itself I can understand people not liking her. The whole storyline with her and Finn in The Last Jedi was one of the worst parts of the movie. It was so unbelievably cheesy and forced.

But disliking her character and attacking her as a person are two totally different things and fuck anyone who is doing that.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted more Lando.

I would have sacrificed all the stuff between Poe and that Spice Runner lady for more Lando stuff.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes "choices you didn't like" don't automatically == "pandering to internet shitheads/Russian bots" just because the ends were the same. Not liking a choice is one thing, but ascribing sinister motivations to that choice just because "internet" is unacceptable.
Except this wasn't the only choice that felt like pandering. It was literally the entire movie. This was just another example of that and it was blatant.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to get some BTS talk years down the road, the movie certainly felt like it was trying to pointedly retcon everything about TLJ away. Roses "I want to go with you but Leia needs me to read technical manuals" was weird.

For now JJ says he loves TLJ and Rian Johnson and vica versa but the two movies felt like it was directors trying to undo everything the previous movie did. TFA setup Snoke, TLJ threw him away. TFA setup Rey's mysterious parentage and meeting Luke, TLJ made it clear she was nobody and Luke was messed up. On and on and on, and then we got the third piece of the shit sandwich that was TROS doing it again to TLJ.

I think the only thing most people would agree at this point is if you are gonna do a trilogy, for God's sakes plan out the big plot points and beats before you start filming the first one. This trilogy was ludicrous.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
This was the one thing I hated about the movie (That and the Rey kiss anyway), despite thinking the subplot with her being the focus in TLJ was a smidge too long, really feels like they did her the dirty after making it seem like her character was meant to have more of a spotlight, and after the poor actress getting so much shit from assholes online.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Unforgivable.

Regardless of how you hate or enjoyed TLJ, this sets a terrible precedent and vindicates the worst parts of our society.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racism is still racism regardless if it is intentional or not.

Absolutely, if people want to see this as racist I won't argue against that.

Except you kind of did. You are saying that JJ casting a white woman and a black man means he's not racist somehow for curbing this Asian woman. That's not how any of that works. Second to that, JJ sidelined this character to cater to racist fans... but he's not a racist so it's okay.

He sidelined pretty much everything that TLJ gave us though, I'm not going into spoilers but it's like that entire film was undone.

But i'm not going to die on a hill for JJ or this film, so if people want to call it racist, fine, I won't argue.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
She (the actress) didn't deserve any bullshit. However, the character to me was always filler at best, or an unimportant background story that would better fit in a random novel at best.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder how much this was JJ kowtowing to the internet and him just having no idea what to do with a character that wasn't his creation.

JJ didn't even know what to do with the characters he created, that aint it. See:

-Hux
-Knights of Ren
-Finn
-Poe
-Zori
-And every other character not named Rey or Kylo.

Oct 28, 2017
Except this wasn't the only choice that felt like pandering. It was literally the entire movie. This was just another example of that and it was blatant.
But here, this is just you making an assumption about motivation.

"Pandering" in a whole host of ways in this movie is very likely just Abrams bending the series back towards whatever vision (however questionable plotting wise) he had back when he made Episode 7. Choices that by their very nature were going to rain on TLJ's parade.

You can make a lot of claims about Abrams' work here. It's too referential to the original movies, it's poorly written, etc. but I'll say again. Pretending like that all automatically amounts to "listened to racist internet shitlords and just gave them what they wanted" is a bridge too far.

May 24, 2019
Worse than not giving her anything interesting to do was the almost literal brush off Finn gave her with a pat on the shoulder after they smooched in the last movie.

I'm sure that was intentional so that the audience wouldn't be side eyeing him for hanging out with the new lady.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Could they have given Rose a few extra lines back at home base? Sure, whatever. But that's beside the point. Poe, Finn and Rey have had chemistry from minute one of TFA, and all I wanted was to see the 3 of them in one place going on an adventure (without adding people for the sake of just being there), and I'd imagine that's what Abrams wanted as well.
Yet he did add multiple characters. So, I guess that line of thinking goes out the window.