• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Could they have given Rose a few extra lines back at home base? Sure, whatever. But that's beside the point. Poe, Finn and Rey have had chemistry from minute one of TFA, and all I wanted was to see the 3 of them in one place going on an adventure (without adding people for the sake of just being there), and I'd imagine that's what Abrams wanted as well.
Then why did he add people for the sake of just being there?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, damn. How could anyone argue with this logic? 🙄🙄🙄

On topic:

Could they have given Rose a few extra lines back at home base? Sure, whatever. But that's beside the point. Poe, Finn and Rey have had chemistry from minute one of TFA, and all I wanted was to see the 3 of them in one place going on an adventure (without adding people for the sake of just being there), and I'd imagine that's what Abrams wanted as well.

Sometimes "choices you didn't like" don't automatically == "pandering to internet shitheads/Russian bots" just because the ends were the same. Not liking a choice is one thing, but ascribing sinister motivations to that choice just because "internet" is unacceptable.

Did...did you see the rest of the movie too?

You wanna argue this pedantic shit, sure, if it was the only real reaction to TLJ backlash, but it has a bunch of other stuff that are clear reactions to that. The choice doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
No one deserves to get the kind of shit she got, but I don't necessarily believe her character (as written) deserved more screentime for no better reason than to piss off some assholes.

Rian/JJ should have written her something better to work with.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Someone post the tweet where someone asks Kelly about her character's arc in TROS, and she just kind of dejectedly laughs.

Having her in the movie, but having her be like "Oh haha no I'll hang back, no really, it's fine!" was so shitty.

It all just felt like capitulation to the absolute worst type of people.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
She was written poorly in TLJ and then written for almost not at all in the new movie. I have no idea if that comes down to her character simply being insignificant or if Disney focus tested the shit out of her character and decided she needed to go based off consumer reactions. I doubt it was all JJ's call. I personally didn't miss her character at all, and could have used less of some newer characters in favor of more Finn, Poe and Rey. I bet Rian will use her in the future in a significant way.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
She (the actress) didn't deserve any bullshit. However, the character to me was always filler at best, or an unimportant background story that would better fit in a random novel at best.

Literally 2/3 of the main cast were 'filler characters' in TFA. Poe was originally supposed to die in the beginning but JJ liked the actor so much, he kept him around. Similarly, Finn was originally the character you were supposed to think is the next Luke but then PLOT TWIST, it's Rey. Narrative wise, those two didn't really have much going for them at the end of TFA. But you don't just sideline them after. You come up with new shit for them to do. That's what JJ needed to do with Rose but chose not to.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's silly to assume that this was somehow racist motivated, or that JJ did this to simply appease racist trolls. It's about as daft as claiming Rian Johnson was motivated by racism or appeasing racist trolls when he diminished the importance and prominence of Finn's character in TLJ (a black main character that JJ created and that had racists in uproar).

The reality is more likely that just as Rian Johnson didn't like the way many of the narrative threads and characters were going in TFA, and essentially retconned things with TLJ, JJ also didn't like the way many of the narrative threads and characters were going in TLJ, and similarly retconned that too, essentially taking things back to being closer to his initial vision with TFA. In other words, they just had different creative visions and ideas, with both the narrative and characters.

As an Asian myself, I find the immediate jump to try and turn this into some sort of race thing by some disingenuous. Hell, I'm pretty sure JJ features more prominent characters of colour in TRoS than there are in TLJ.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
3557a9d889cd33e761a4d0d4ffb1f96c.jpg
MV5BMTI3NzEyNDExMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTY4MTIzMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR75,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Odd you say that, considering Jar Jar's voice actor (Ahmed Best) is a person of colour. Who contemplated suicide because of all the hatred he got.

On the topic, I really didn't like Rose in Last Jedi, but was excited to see if they could give her actress better material. Instead they made her into a background character with a handful of lines. She went from a character (one I didn't particularly like) to a non character.

are you even going to try to understand the discussion? the hate for jar jar had literally nothing to do with the race of the guy who played him. the vast majority of people probably had no clue the dude was even black. the reason there was backlash against rose was strictly because of her gender and race.

trying to compare these 2 cases mean that you are either a) being disingenuous or b) clueless to what is really being discussed here.

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars is a business and they have action figures to sell. New characters = new toys.

I feel sorry for anyone trying to make one of these movies. They must have so many mandates put upon them from lots of different business interests, and that's before you take fan opinion into account.

I wonder if KMT did have a larger role and it got squeezed down more and more as the production progressed. Writing, shooting and editing. It's tough to survive that process in a film as bloated as RoS.

I'm sad she wasn't given more to do. I liked her in Last jedi.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Look I don't care about spoilers but this thread title is hilarious. You spoil that she is hardly in the film in the title then follow it up with a spoiler warning. LOL.

Oct 25, 2017
are you even going to try to understand the discussion? the hate for jar jar had literally nothing to do with the race of the guy who played him. the vast majority of people probably had no clue the dude was even black. the reason there was backlash against rose was strictly because of her gender and race.

trying to compare these 2 cases mean that you are either a) being disingenuous or b) clueless to what is really being discussed here.
Again, they don't give a flying fuck about Ahmed, they are trying to silence people.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen TROS but I mean, Rose was never a great character to begin with so 🤷‍♂️

TLJ just didn't do a good job with the characters in general. What the fuck happened to Finn?! Phasma? Hux? Even Poe's arc was just frustrating to watch.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sigh... There was no retcon in TLJ.

Tonally and thematically the movies are very different, with not just some of the writing, comic relief etc, but their portrayal and direction of characters, on top of their consideration of legacy or plot devices.

For example, TLJ's portrayal of Hux is as a bumbling buffoon, whilst in the first film he's menacing. Snoke is implicated to be a mysterious but all powerful and wise entity, whilst in the sequel he's essentially a throwaway. TFA constantly champions and idolises legacy, past, whimsical mystery etc whilst the sequel entirely de-emphasises or rejects it. Finn and Rey's relationship and commradery is pivitol in the first film, whilst it's entirely defunct in the second, and so on.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the direction TLJ took things in and of itself, but I simply don't think it works as a sequel to TFA as part of a trilogy. Watching them back to back they're so tonally and thematically different you really get the sense they were made to entirely different creative visions, ideals or priorities. The same is true for TRoS and TLJ.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
They should've written a better character and arc for her in The Last Jedi. Rose wasn't particularly special or likable, and was set up to be disposable.

People are blowing up this whole thing with KMT but she's not the only one that got the short end of the stick. I'm more upset with the handling of Finn and Phasma, honestly.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

"The hardest part for me in that entire situation was all of the criticism that came from a racially motivated point of view. Growing up, being black, and wanting to be an artist — which is a very challenging and brave thing to do, it's not easy — we're always faced, as black artists, with this idea of being a sellout. We have our guard up when it comes to being portrayed as an Uncle Tom, a racist stereotype, or anything that makes you, as a black person, look less than. It hit me. It came right for me. I was called every racial stereotype you can imagine. There was this criticism of being this Jamaican, broken dialect, which was offensive because I'm of West Indian descent — I'm not Jamaican. It was debilitating. I didn't know how to respond."

It wasn't the exact same situation, but they attacked him based on his race in a similar fashion.
Again, they don't give a flying fuck about Ahmed, they are trying to silence people.
LOL silencing people?! What kind of accusation is that. I expressed my disappointed that Rose wasn't given any meaningful developments in the latest movie, and i'm saying Ahmed Best suffered the same way that Kelly is being treated by the fandom.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
One of my first thoughts coming out of the theater was that they did KMT dirty. It didn't help that I could have sworn I read Rose/Finn spoilers.

The only generous thing they did with her character was make her apparently bff's with Billie Lourde's character, but she's practically just a step above an extra, so that didn't amount to much.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They should've written a better character and arc for her in The Last Jedi.

People are blowing up this whole thing with KMT but she's not the only one that got the short end of the stick. I'm more upset with the handling of Finn and Phasma, honestly.
Or they could have improved her in this one or given her more than a minute and 20 seconds of screentime.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean, that's semantics. It developed elements from TFA in ways that clearly weren't the originally intended ones, even if they weren't "retcons" since TFA left most plot threads very open.
The great thing about mystery box bullshit is people will always get to imagine their own possibilities for what could/should happen and anything against that is a retcon.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's silly to assume that this was somehow racist motivated, or that JJ did this to simply appease racist trolls. It's about as daft as claiming Rian Johnson was motivated by racism or appeasing racist trolls when he diminished the importance and prominence of Finn's character in TLJ (a black main character that JJ created and that had racists in uproar).

The reality is more likely that just as Rian Johnson didn't like the way many of the narrative threads and characters were going in TFA, and essentially retconned things with TLJ, JJ also didn't like the way many of the narrative threads and characters were going in TLJ, and similarly retconned that too, essentially taking things back to being closer to his initial vision with TFA. In other words, they just had different creative visions and ideas, with both the narrative and characters.

As an Asian myself, I find the immediate jump to try and turn this into some sort of race thing by some disingenuous. Hell, I'm pretty sure JJ features more prominent characters of colour in TRoS than there are in TLJ.
no one would say that because the diminishing of finn's character happened in the very movie he was introduced, and he ended TLJ as a better character than he ended TFA as

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

From the various pics we've seen and lot of info from the visual dictionary, it seems like a ton of stuff got cut from the movie. My "dark magic" dude has a whole two page spread about his character being important historian that is working with Rey to help her decipher the Jedi texts she got from luke, and expert on jedi lore. Lando apparently had a whole side plot likely connected to Jannah that all got cut, and many others. And then the reshoots.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
B-but JJ says casting Kelly Marie Tran was the best thing that Johnson did:

He's such a cool guy!

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
After TLJ, Disney went all in on focus groups and got a bunch of alt right haters in as well.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The great thing about mystery box bullshit is people will always get to imagine their own possibilities for what could/should happen and anything against that is a retcon.

I mean, in this case we do know that Rian Jonhson outright discarded JJ's ideas for the next movies.

Ridley revealed to Geek Le Mag that J.J. Abrams, who directed and co-wrote The Force Awakens, also wrote scripts for Episode VIII and IX before Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow jumped in to direct the sequels.

"Here's what I think I know. J.J. wrote Episode VII, as well as drafts for VIII & IX," Ridley said. "Then Rian Johnson arrived and wrote TLJ entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way."

(...)
"I believe Rian didn't keep anything from the first draft of Episode VIII."

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
no one would say that because the diminishing of finn's character happened in the very movie he was introduced, and he ended TLJ as a better character than he ended TFA as

I disagree. I thought Finn's character was far more under utilised or less prominent in TLJ comparative to TFA. He was essentially among the key trio of characters in TFA alongside Rey and Kylo, whilst he sort of became an undercooked side mission player in TLJ, at least comparative to his role in TFA.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder how much this was JJ kowtowing to the internet and him just having no idea what to do with a character that wasn't his creation.

Yeah on the one hand she was mostly in TLJ in service of Finn and that arc had kind of run its course. If I recall RJ made her up because he was afraid pairing up Poe and Finn together wouldn't allow for enough drama, so ROS dropping her in favor of focusing on the main cast working together (and even beefing up 3PO's role a lot) doesn't totally surprise me. There's only so much screen time to go around and given JJ started this whole thing with a leading woman and black man, I doubt his reasons were nefarious.

On the other hand, as others have pointed out, it really doesn't seem like it would have been that hard to use her more in those resistance base scenes at least. It is a bummer thinking from her perspective coming off her experience after TLJ.