• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
She got an appropriate amount of screen time for her character. Had way too much time in TLJ

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Boy creating a trilogy by having several different people write their own shit as they go sure was a great storytelling strategy.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Rose in TLJ, and I would have liked to see her more in the third movie, but could also understand if she (the actor) wanted out after all the bullshit from the 'fans'. The result seemed like something in between those two.

Generally speaking, though, the individual characters in the resistance are pretty much background extras who stand around and look busy. The movies don't make much room for story beats like Rose's - they prioritize force wizardry and spaceships, especially with JJ Abrams directing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in this case we do know that Rian Jonhson outright discarded JJ's ideas for the next movies.

Sorry bro but Daisy is mistaken.

JJ literally said a few days ago that he was focused completely on TFA, do you think he had time to write drafts for two entire films? My guy had to ask them to move the date of TFA from May to December since he needed the extra time but, sure, he just wrote 2 drafts between takes.

Also, imagine hiring Rian Johnson to write and direct episode 8 but then being, like, "oh yeah, JJ wrote a draft for this movie so now you gotta do his movie. Sorry! OKAY BYE!".

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most of the hatred of Rose is an intersection of racism, sexism, and conventional attractiveness (i.e. if she looked like Daisy Ridley fewer people would complain)

More specifically, I've seen people say many, many times that "the wrong sister died". I don't think we'd hear so much griping if Paige had lived since her actress is "hotter".

But then again, the same crowd would probably be screaming that a black man "stole" an "Asian beauty".

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Rose in TLJ, and I would have liked to see her more in the third movie, but could also understand if she (the actor) wanted out after all the bullshit from the 'fans'. The result seemed like something in between those two.

Generally speaking, though, the individual characters in the resistance are pretty much background extras who stand around and look busy. The movies don't make much room for story beats like Rose's - they prioritize force wizardry and spaceships, especially with JJ Abrams directing.
He certainly made time for Dominic Monahan's character who is never named in the fucking movie.

Don't send me a fucking wookiepedia article, he is a fucking nobody

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What. Charlie from Lost was randomly thrown in and got 5x the dialogue she got that she easily could have said lol. It's clear JJ just didn't like her or something.

LMAO we all did double takes when he appeared as well as the dipshit from LA Noire and Heroes. Talk about showing up late to the party and expecting the audience to care about their "characters."

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think she was way under utilized in this movie, But honestly I didn't really connect with her and Finn's side quest adventure in TLJ 🤷‍♂️

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
She got an appropriate amount of screen time for her character. Had way too much time in TLJ
I agree with you, but people want to believe it was a misogyny problem and not just a movie/script problem.

I think she was way under utilized in this movie, But honestly I didn't really connect with her and Finn's side quest adventure in TLJ 🤷‍♂️
There wasn't anything to connect with. It was the worst part of the movie by far, and that's not a knock against KMT or Boyega as actors.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've seen a lot of sentiment from people that have that JJ pretty much just leaves TLJ for dead. If that's the case this would seem to be in line with that. It's crazy that this high a profile of an IP could be run badly enough to give us this train wreck of a trilogy.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't care for her character in TLJ but it should have been JJ's job to elevate her character into something at least for this third movie.

In Hollywood, you're allowed to treat Asians as trash.

Oct 8, 2019
JJ made himself look like such a coward with the decisions he made.

I am just confused why anyone would have thought differently. I mean TFA just came off as this super safe film that promises just more of the same. Like what Snoke reveal would actually matter? He just came off as "Alien Palpatine" so when Rian Johnson deemed him to be a crap character and killed him off this just meant that Abrams had to bring back the real Palpatine.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
I agree with you, but people want to believe it was a misogyny problem and not just a movie/script problem.

I was never expecting Rose to have a huge part in TROS (though I was hoping she would at least be like Lando in ROTJ and play a leadership role in the Resistance). And on its own, maybe having her screentime scaled back wouldn't feel malicious in any way, just unfortunate.

But then, in the context of the rest of TROS, I think about choices they made like this with Kelly, or with Rey's power and having it "explained", and what the filmmakers' thought process must've been behind those decisions, and it really does feel like they catered to the worst "critiques". It's depressing.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Finn and Rose side quest in TLJ was great and it shows us why exactly The First Order got into power.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, damn. How could anyone argue with this logic? 🙄🙄🙄

On topic:

Could they have given Rose a few extra lines back at home base? Sure, whatever. But that's beside the point. Poe, Finn and Rey have had chemistry from minute one of TFA, and all I wanted was to see the 3 of them in one place going on an adventure (without adding people for the sake of just being there), and I'd imagine that's what Abrams wanted as well.

Sometimes "choices you didn't like" don't automatically == "pandering to internet shitheads/Russian bots" just because the ends were the same. Not liking a choice is one thing, but ascribing sinister motivations to that choice just because "internet" is unacceptable.
Yes Poe and Rey had great chemistry from minute one when they met for the first time in the last three minutes of TLJ For 15 seconds.

are we just making stuff up now?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to call bs. He might have ideas but the guy barely had time to complete TFA. He definitely did not have enough time to write a script for the next movie.

Imagine writing 2 drafts for films you knew you weren't going to make while the guy who actually is making the next one is writing his drafts. This is definitely a thing that happens.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have no issues with people saying Rose was a poorly written and cliché character. Nothing against the actress, it's Rians fault, slowed down and sidelined one of the promising new leads of the saga to retread already established ground. It was right of JJ to keep Rose in the background unless she had something meaningful to add. Fin & Poe were much better in TRoS as a trio, shouldn't be controversial to say this.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars franchise is toxic as fuck.

Some of it is, at least. There's a lot of dishonesty from its fans, too. It's hard to tell how many people are actually annoyed her role wasn't bigger and how many are just annoyed Rian Johnson's character wasn't written to be more important than one of Abram's own.

Which is totally daft. It's not like Abrams was obligated to give Rose a bigger part in the story. It would've been nice, I admit, but what else would've been nice is Finn and Poe being gay or Rey and Ben not making out and those are characters Abrams created himself.

Oct 27, 2017
I like The Last Jedi a lot but they made terrible decisions with her in that movie and she was a part of the worst scenes. Finn barely had a point in TLJ but outside of being Finn's conscience (which was annoying af) she had even less of one. Her scenes were just terrible. These new movies keep writing in more characters than they can handle so less of Rose is for the best IMO. This entire trilogy has been too many humans and not enough aliens (Even Lucas said something similar) but we do need more POC involved for sure.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
ITT: We had a movie with a billion plot holes to get things going, rushed pacing, insulting character ressurrections, insane familiar connections that came out of thin air

Suddenly sidelining the major Asian character was the good thing to do because it was just impossible to do anything with her character

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
this was honestly the most offensive thing they did. not only did they reject the message her character was meant to convey, but they also basically made her a background character. what an unprofessional and shitty thing to do.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Quote from KMT before she'd seen the final cut of the movie, excited about how she got to share scenes with Daisy Ridley:

"I think it's really cool at all that they are even in scenes together because in 'Jedi' we weren't in any scenes together," Tran says. "It was really cool to have feminine energy on set. I wish I could tell you more but I'm really excited for people to see [Rose and Rey] interact. They both have the some objective which is to fight for the things you believe in and the people you love."

They never meet in the final cut, of course. Rose basically just looks at a blueprint for the whole movie.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes Poe and Rey had great chemistry from minute one when they met for the first time in the last three minutes of TLJ For 15 seconds.

are we just making stuff up now?
Fine. Finn had great chemistry with both of them. That fix it?

(And not for nothing, there was more chemistry in the humor of that Poe/Rey line from TLJ, than there had been in the entire Rose/Finn arc.)

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: We had a movie with a billion plot holes to get things going, rushed pacing, insulting character ressurrections, insane familiar connections that came out of thin air

Suddenly sidelining the major Asian character was the good thing to do because it was just impossible to do anything with her character
^^^^^^^^^^^

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Writing a draft for the trilogy and then the script for TFA is absolutely possible and makes sense.
He had what, maybe 2 years to make the film and asked Disney to push back the release date so he can finish the film?

Yeah I don't buy that. He wouldn't have had time no matter when he did it.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Ah yes, what would we have done without Finn's chemistry of "AAHHHH I HAVE SOMETHING I NEED TO TELL YOUUUUU" over and over in the final movie.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm no fan of JJ's but I'm having a hard time understanding why he's getting flak for not using a character he didn't even create, a character who (despite what her actress went through) was one of the weakest parts of TLJ.

That's on Rian. He wrote Rose.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Rose got sidelined
Finn was still the coward janitor screaming for the girl
Poe's dark past was revealed as a former drug trafficker

Trust JJ with PoC characters brehs

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He had what, maybe 2 years to make the film and asked Disney to push back the release date so he can finish the film?

Yeah I don't buy that. He wouldn't have had time no matter when he did it.

You know a draft can easily be written in a day? Would make sense to write a draft for the ST before writing the script for the first one. Daisy Ridley is a better source on this and it doesn't sound unlikely at all.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I'm no fan of JJ's but I'm having a hard time understanding why he's getting flak for not using a character he didn't even create, a character who (despite what her actress went through) was one of the weakest parts of TLJ.

That's on Rian. He wrote Rose.
Honestly if JJ was sticking only to characters he created then TROS would have been less of a dumpster fire.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like most of the hatred of Rose is an intersection of racism, sexism, and conventional attractiveness (i.e. if she looked like Daisy Ridley fewer people would complain)

I'm sure some of the hate or dislike could be associated with these things (just like some of the dislike for Finn and Rey was from racists and sexists etc too), but I think to suggest most of it was is nonsense.

Some characters are just bad, and it doesn't really boil down to anything beyond how poorly they were written or portrayed, eg Jar Jar Binks, Rose, Anakin Skywalker, his chemistry with Padme, Boss Nass, Watto etc.

Personally I disliked her character simply because she was mostly uninteresting, poorly written, and had some real cheesy or laughable lines, on top of that her chemistry with Finn just didn't seem earnest and instead felt forced. I have nothing against Kelly Marie Tran (she actually seems really nice in interviews), and think the fault lies with Rian Johnson and the writers. They basically created a poor character and gave her several really bad scenes, and I'm not entirely surprised JJ didn't want to prominently feature her, especially given he seemingly wanted the primary focus back on his own initial trio.