• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
original.png

OpenCritic - 80
MetaCritic- 81 / 77

Reviews are coming in for this so I thought I'd throw together a quick review thread!

PCGamesN - 9/10

What it is in fact is a great looking, technically demanding starfighter sim that provides a dynamic new spin on space dogfighting without any of the usual monetary cruft that accompanies live service games today. Time will tell if it truly has the depth and skill ceiling to give it staying power, but it's made a damn fine first impression. If you've ever wanted to become an ace X-wing pilot, or fondly remember your time in a DOS-based fighter cockpit, Star Wars: Squadrons is a must-play.
www.pcgamesn.com

Star Wars: Squadrons review – I know a few manoeuvres

Could this really be a worthy follow-up to X-Wing and TIE Fighter? The answer, it turns out, is yes

Game Informer - 8.25/10

Squadrons' single-player may fizzle out frequently like a malfunctioning hyperdrive motivator, but the multiplayer continually impresses and is worth the price of entry alone. Flying in formation with a group of friends put a smile on my face, and that was just the calm before the storm. When the lasers start flying, Squadrons' multiplayer can be nothing short of exhilarating and a great test of skill, pushing players to be clever in the cockpit to outthink and outmaneuver opponents. Given just how enjoyable it is to pilot an X-Wing or TIE Fighter, this is a multiplayer experience I will continually go back to, even if EA doesn't support it with new content. It's just fun to play, providing something different compared to most of today's competitive games.
www.gameinformer.com

Star Wars: Squadrons Review - Star Wars: Squadrons Review – Roaring With Excitement - Game Informer

The multiplayer delivers huge thrills, while the single-player struggles to hit the target.

Polygon (unscored)

Simply put, Star Wars: Squadrons is the total package. If all you have at your disposal is a console, a decent TV, and a working controller, you're going to have a wonderful time. If you have a throttle, stick, and rudder pedals, you're really in for a treat. And, if you happen to be able to afford VR, you may never want to take that headset off again.
www.polygon.com

Star Wars: Squadrons review: a triumph of focused design and succinct storytelling

Motive delivers a satisfying single-player campaign combined with a rich multiplayer mode

Twinfinite - 4.5/5

If you enjoy aerial combat or Star Wars, then Squadrons is a no-brainer recommendation. It encapsulates everything that makes those epic dogfights from the movies so magical, and puts you right at the heart of it. From throwbacks to particularly iconic moments to the wailing scream of a TIE Fighter at speed, it's all here and it all looks and feels fantastic.
twinfinite.net

Star Wars: Squadrons Review - Aerial Ace

Star Wars Squadrons lets players take to the cockpit of some of the most iconic ships in the franchise and duke it out in space.

God Is a Geek - 8.5/10

Despite a handful of limitations, Star Wars: Squadrons is a superb aerial combat game. If you can get past the loading screens and occasional frame stutters, there's a fantastic experience in or out of VR, with a decent if slightly superfluous story mode. The meat and potatoes is the multiplayer, and the Fleet Battles are the gravy. It's an authentic, exhilarating Star Wars experience that fans of the franchise or the genre will absolutely love.
www.godisageek.com

Star Wars: Squadrons review | GodisaGeek.com

Star Wars: Squadrons is an excellent aerial combat game. Anyone who ever dreamed of being an X-Wing pilot needs to check this out.

ShackNews - 8/10

In recent times, I have lamented the dearth of AA video games. Fifteen or more years ago, games of this scope were ubiquitous and some of the best experiences you could have in gaming. Against its super-budget, monstrously ambitious peers, Star Wars: Squadrons manages to stand out by not trying to be larger than life. Simultaneously a franchise cash-in and love letter to the classic LucasArts PC space combat games of the 1990s, Squadrons sticks to its mission and comes out the other side of a warp-speed jump successfully. Pummeling a star destroyer against the Wild Berry Skittles-esque backdrop of Yavin Prime doesn't require my undivided attention or multiple scans of my credit card. Seems like a fair deal to me. 8/10 burning embers of Alderaan
www.shacknews.com

Star Wars: Squadrons review - It's not a trap

Delivering casual starfighter combat at a casual price, EA's latest Star Wars title is surprising in its simplicity.

Gamesradar - 3.5/5

Star Wars: Squadrons offers an exhilarating take on dogfighting in a galaxy far, far away, which helps elevate a functional single-player story and provides a strong foundation for a focused multiplayer experience.
www.gamesradar.com

Star Wars: Squadrons review: "Turns idle daydreams into tangible experiences"

Check out our full Star Wars: Squadrons review

Press Start - 7/10

After fellow entries in Battlefront II and Jedi: Fallen Order, Squadrons is yet another credit in EA's pocket as far as the recovery of the Star Wars license goes. It's a tailored, focused experience that knows what it is and though it might have shoehorned in a largely inconsequential story, treating it as a taste-test for the game's multiplayer main event should serve you well.
press-start.com.au

Star Wars: Squadrons Review - Be My Wingman

Star Wars: Squadrons Review - Be My Wingman

COG Connected - 75%

Much like the ships you're flying, this game is all business. The excess components and junk parts have been ripped right out, all so the flight n' fight action runs as smoothly as possible. It's a tough, crazy ride, but one that's worth the strain. Yet, therein lies the issue: if you're not here to fly, you're likely not here. In other words, Squadrons has a somewhat limited audience. I'm terrible at dogfights, but I'm motivated to get better. They're a ton of fun, but they're brutally tough. If that doesn't appeal to you, best you learn it now, rather than later. For those of you starving for a proper Star Wars flight combat game, this is exactly what you've been waiting for. Otherwise, you're in for a rough ride, albeit an exciting one, with Star Wars: Squadrons.
cogconnected.com

Star Wars: Squadrons Review - Fast and Frantic Fun

Lock those S-Foils in attack position, Star Wars: Squadrons has arrived! EA and Motive's no filler, all killer space combat sim is coming in hot!

Jeuxvideo.com - 16/20

EA Motive adresse une lettre d'amour aux fans de la saga de George Lucas et aux amateurs de dogfights. Le gameplay orienté arcade, non sans une pointe de simulation, capture l'essence même des combats spatiaux à la Star Wars, challenge les pilotes chevronnés et accompagne les non initiés. Le mode Histoire explore avec la manière une période troublée... celle de la guerre civile galactique, malgré un manque d'audace notable dans la mise en scène. Le multijoueur et son système de progression promettent une belle expérience compétitive et coopérative, si on omet le nombre restreint de joueurs et de modes de jeu. Star Wars : Squadrons est au final le Shooter spatial tant attendu par les fans, à la réalisation soignée et toujours respectueux du matériau d'origine… une réussite ni plus ni moins.
www.jeuxvideo.com

Test du jeu Star Wars : Squadrons

Electronic Arts continue d’explorer la franchise Star Wars et enrichit le lore canonique avec un Shooter. Star Wars : Squadrons reprend le flambeau de feu la trilogie Rogue Squadron ainsi que de la série X-Wing, et se focalise exclusivement sur les combats spatiaux, élément central de la saga...

GameSpot (in progress review)

But as my experience stands right now, the campaign of Star Wars: Squadrons is a solid showcase of setpieces that conveys what's possible with the game's engaging flight combat mechanics. Juggling all tasks required on your cool starfighter while soaking in the sights and sounds of Star Wars has been a real treat in the first 8 hours, even if I'm left a bit wanting.
www.gamespot.com

Star Wars: Squadrons Early Review Impressions – Single-Player

Involved flight mechanics add a lot to the space combat of Star Wars: Squadrons, though the campaign's narrative components might leave you wanting.

UploadVR (in progress review)

From what I've played so far, Star Wars: Squadrons has exceeded my already lofty expectations. It out-performs every other VR space combat game I've tried across the board for my tastes and offers a ton of nuance in its gameplay and immense entertainment with its full, robust campaign mode. If you got a chance to try the brief, but magical, X-Wing VR Mission in the first DICE Battlefront game on PS4 with PSVR and wished it could have been made into a full game, then this is exactly that and so much more. Some tiny performance issues and a lack of VR support for your hands and in cutscenes is unfortunate, but more than forgivable.

Minor gripes aside, for fans of Star Wars, fans of arcade-style space combat, and fans of just flat-out immersive VR, it doesn't get a whole lot better than Star Wars: Squadrons.
uploadvr.com

Star Wars: Squadrons VR Review - The Galaxy's Finest Space Combat

Star Wars: Squadrons is finally here and it absolutely delivers. From the incredible set piece moments, excellent new characters, and fantastic VR space combat, this is an adrenaline-fueled blast in the galaxy far, far away that you won’t want to miss. Here’s our Star Wars: Squadrons VR review

Video Reviews

IGN - Single-player Review - 8/10

VG247.com - EA's Best Star Wars Game Yet?

GameSpot - Single Player Impressions

Last edited:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So far reviews are looking quite positive and it's budget priced. Really crossing my fingers for a success. Space sims deserve to come back.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It looks like EA got their shit together with SW after the Battlefront 2 MTX fiasco.

They fixed BF2
They released Jedi Fallen Order seeing a big success
And now Squadrons looks to be an excellent game

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who likes Star Wars for the story, I don't know that this is a game for me if the campaign is an extended tutorial. Maybe when EA's stuff comes to Game Pass?

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Review for EckhartsLadder. Campaign is about 6 hours according to him
Game seems fantastic.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I was a bit worried about this game with how little we have seen or heard but it looks like it's a good time. Can't wait to play.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
uploadvr.com

Star Wars: Squadrons VR Review - The Galaxy's Finest Space Combat

Star Wars: Squadrons is finally here and it absolutely delivers. From the incredible set piece moments, excellent new characters, and fantastic VR space combat, this is an adrenaline-fueled blast in the galaxy far, far away that you won’t want to miss. Here’s our Star Wars: Squadrons VR review

It's a work in progress (like Gamespot), but still a good review for people who are focused on single-player and VR.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Seems like it's really good! I'll definitely check it out when I can. Lots of games lately and I have to prioritize.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
KInda want to grab this, but saw something about load times so maybe I should hold off to grab on PS5 (BC). Unless there's a delay in getting PSVR to work on PS5 (I think theres a free cable you need)

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a short demo for this. just not 100% sure if i'll enjoy it regardless of the score it gets.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Looks exactly like what I was hoping for. Reviews are going to take a slight hit for the fact that it's single player is short-ish (it's actually longer than I personally expected if its 6 hours)and the game itself isn't super feature packed, but if you like multiplayer/VR/flying/star wars then it's right up your alley. I also expect the scores to move up a bit after more multiplayer reviews get finished. Pumped!

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
A dream come true. I waited since Gamecube days for a good star wars flight game.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
First game I've preordered in a long time. This is the VR game I've always wanted.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
So overall the game is good it would seem.

I'm not sure if it was shared already in another thread but if you end up pre-ordering the game on Steam you get 2 profile frames for your steam profile. And this is just for pre-orders just In cases anyone was interested.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
This will be amazing in VR. I'm gonna purchase it, but wait to play on the Oculus Quest 2. Having basically no SDE will be glorious for this game.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Really hope that the campaign is meaty and good. It would be the only thing that I would play.

edit: ugh, just read the PCgamesn review:

There is a single-player campaign, but it's relatively brief and serves primarily as a way to acclimate new players to the fundamentals of flying a zippy little starfighter around in zero gravity.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I have VR and a PC but no Hotas. And buying a Hotas for one game is cray-cray.

What to do...what to do...

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
From a quick look, PCGamesn and Gamespot are the only reviews up there from veterans of the 90's PC games, right? KatUSG I need your review :P