• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
4LwXkDg.png

What is this?
Star Wars: The High Republic is a multimedia project spanning across comics and books that was announced back in April 2019 at Star Wars Celebration Chicago. It covers a period of time 200 years before The Phantom Menace during a time where the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order are at their most powerful. It is a period of expansion into the Outer Rim with Jedi being compared to Texas Rangers and the Knights of the Roundtable. The beginning of this project will throw readers into what is being called "The Great Disaster" and will find the Jedi against the Nihil, which will lead to the answer of "What scares the Jedi?"

What Stories can I expect?
Currently five stories have been announced that aim to target adults, teens, and kids. Starting on August 25th readers will be introduced with what is being called Phase 1 of the High Republic Era:
qVcIAg4.png

Will I see movies take place in this era?
For the foreseeable future, no. According to StarWars.com: " This period on the Star Wars timeline will not overlap any of the filmed features or series currently planned for production, giving creators and partners a vast amount of room to tell Star Wars stories with new adventures and original characters."

Is there anymore art to look at?
Yes! Some of which is made by Ian McCraig, the artist of Darth Maul, to help establish the look of the era:
ERl-NyKVUAAThGQ

ERl-NyNUUAAEBPB

ERl-Zy-UYAAuTA3

ERl-9ZDU4AEgsie

ERl_mNfUYAIlwfZ

ERl-lstUcAItTlP

What can we expect after Phase 1?
It was confirmed that other partners are currently working on projects set in this area and we can expect to hear about them in the near future:
ERmCC9uUcAEppO-

For more information you can check out the blog post on StarWars.com:
www.starwars.com

Lucasfilm to Launch Star Wars: The High Republic Publishing Campaign in 2021

New stories will explore the Star Wars galaxy set 200 years before the events of The Phantom Menace.

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Looking forward to it.

The best thing about this is that it's looking to be as far and away from the movies as possible, and it looks to be concerted effort by a competent team, to boot. This is the kind of EU content I've been waiting on.

Hoping that there's at least a game announcement too, even if it's just a title card drop.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully it's some new shit.

I know people have put a big asterisk on the High Republic stuff, but it's literally era without Sith involvement, how is that not interesting for the franchise??

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, somehow I had no idea this was a thing. SOTE was a very interesting way to try and approach doing NEW Star Wars stuff so I see the benefit of a similar approach here. Definitely will be keeping an eye out.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's some new shit.

I know people have put a big asterisk on the High Republic stuff, but it's literally era without Sith involvement, how is that not interesting for the franchise??
We don't know that. We also thought it was an extremely peaceful era yet there are now hints that the Jedi will be involved. I doubt we will have ten books of Jedi just being peaceful.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The first time i heard of it. Sounds vague. And with what little information available, my interest is already not too high. Somehow, I cannot get excited for the same old Jedi stuff for the millionth time. Shadows of the Empire was fantastic because it had nothing to do with Force shenanigans for once. Too bad that the Star Wars franchise gets reduced to this stuff nowadays, even by its own fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
We don't know that. We also thought it was an extremely peaceful era yet there are now hints that the Jedi will be involved. I doubt we will have ten books of Jedi just being peaceful.
Peaceful on a galactic scale, sure. But that doesn't mean the entire galaxy was entirely without any conflict whatsoever over a thousand years. Just that there wasn't galaxy-spanning wars as seen before and after.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first time i heard of it. Sounds vague. And with what little information available, my interest is already not too high. Somehow, I cannot get excited for the same old Jedi stuff for the millionth time. Shadows of the Empire was fantastic because it had nothing to do with Force shenanigans for once. Too bad that the Star Wars franchise gets reduced to this stuff nowadays, even by its own fans.
Hopefully they surprise us and Jedi are not the main characters

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's certainly not going to be peaceful at all (otherwise there wouldn't be any interesting conflict), but I'm just saying that for all the critique about them not moving on from the Jedi Sith conflict, you'd think that (potentially) removing the biggest tenant of that would be more exciting for people. I'm hoping it's more of a space expedition based franchise with a new type of villain. Hopefully a JJ or KK type doesn't decide to force Sith in there from the get go.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

...we're talking the same SoTE book that had a number of moments devoted to Luke and/or Vader, their mutual and exclusive dramas, as well as also elaborating on their understanding of the Force through their individual prisms?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to TROS a previous incarnation of Darth Sidious should be alive in this era, but hopefully they ignore this after the bad reception TROS got

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
...we're talking the same SoTE book that had a number of moments devoted to Luke and/or Vader, their mutual and exclusive dramas, as well as also elaborating on their understanding of the Force through their individual prisms?
I was referring to the videogame starring Dash Rendar where none of that played a role. Can't say anything about the book's quality because I did not read it.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Anybody have any idea when the High Republic era is set? I'm guessing it's after the Old Republic but way before the Republic era of the Clone Wars?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
They'll hype up the relevance of this new EU timeline and then every subsequent film will ignore it.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I was referring to the videogame starring Dash Rendar where none of that played a role. Can't say anything about the book's quality because I did not read it.
And that's fine, but it illustrates what was arguably a strength of the whole "Shadows of the Empire Project": between the various media formats that were put out, there was a lot of avenues to tell a number of unique stories. Some focusing more on the Jedi/Sith/Force drama, others focusing on the bounty hunters and the underworld. At best, we hope that this Luminous can give us something similar, so that there's something for everyone.

They'll hype up the relevance of this new EU timeline and then every subsequent film will ignore it.

As long as I end up getting a decent KOTOR-type of game out of the deal, I don't really give a shit.

The movies are always going to be for the masses that only consume content airing in cinema, while side/EU content is geared more towards stuff I care about more. And I'm fine with that.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Lmao 7 pm pacific, this is all in the OP man :P

Hold my hands up. I skimmed read the OP.

I also didn't mean to write "what" this reval is as that is in the OP, but what time it was, which I gather is in the OP, which I skimmed because I was doing two things at once and..........

I'm going to stop digging

This sounds like a new, fresh start for Star Wars and I'm hoping for good things. I see a video game is mentioned in the OP. Knights of the High Republic?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TFU was super rad at release (The Euphoria engine! That Vader prologue level!) but even before the second game was out, it had occupied that TROS-like place where you get kinda depressed just thinking about the story implications alone.

Oh I remember. That first trailer got me the most pumped for Star Wars since TPM's teaser back in 1999.

Then I actually played the whole game...

Oct 29, 2017
Hold my hands up. I skimmed read the OP.

I also didn't mean to write "what" this reval is as that is in the OP, but what time it was, which I gather is in the OP, which I skimmed because I was doing two things at once and..........

I'm going to stop digging

This sounds like a new, fresh start for Star Wars and I'm hoping for good things. I see a video game is mentioned in the OP. Knights of the High Republic?

Haha its all good

Theres been a rumored "reimaging" of Knights of the Old Republic game in development for a little while. I think Jason Schrier said so himself