• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I'm kinda disappointed with the timeline but will see how it turns out. My gripes are mainly that species live a long time in the SW universe, 200 years is not even a single lifetime for some species, hell a human could possibly live that long. So, we're going back maybe one generation where character from the prequels are still alive.

Further, for the supposed "Height of the Republic" that's awfully close to the fall of the Republic. Let's be clear, the prequel era was the End of the Jedi and Republic. It's a time where the Jedi Order is completely full of itself and the Republic rampant with corruption. This arrogance and corruption did not start overnight, it had to be built up over the course of years and decades. Rome did not fall in a day, it was a slow process of degradation as a succession of weak leaders, the erosion of public institutions, the corruption of the Senate, and outside powers chipped away at the Empire until it fell. I would expect the same from the Galactic Republic. Thus, I would expect 200 years before the prequels to be the time where this corruption and culminating arrogance of the Jedi to be in full swing. I would not expect this to be the High Republic but rather the start of the Fall of the Jedi.

Next, I'm not a fan of the concept that the Outer Rim is just now being explored 200 years before the prequels. That seems insane to me. In old Legends material the Great Hyperspace War was kicked off when Republic traders ventured out into the Outer Rim areas and discovered the Sith and that was many, many, many years before the prequels. It just seems odd that such an entire region of space was entirely unexplored by the Republic merely 200 years prior to the prequels.

Those are my concerns, but we'll see how things are actually executed.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from my complaints about the time setting feeling not far back enough... agreeing with all BossAttack said above... I'm still hopeful somewhat and will give at least Soule's book a read.

Last edited:

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
The Nihl look and sound incredibly lame, but maybe there's more to them then meets the eye. I'll try to keep an open mind but nothing about this is making me feel like I need to read these books.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll be out at SW Celebration when the first book comes out. I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to get a copy of the standard edition there and get it signed, but getting the convention exclusive cover is always a long shot.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
pre-ordered light of the jedi

kind of excited to start something new that hopefully is a full coherant story.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same... but different!
This is probably my biggest gripe with the Star Wars universe in general. They really can't seem to get beyond the same old shit. Even in this video, "don't worry, there'll be new bounty hunters, new smugglers, new...." - like.....why tho? We've already had all of that, COUNTLESS times.

This is evident in pretty much everything across Star Wars unless you're counting the stuff.........dare I say it? George Lucas was in charge of. You could argue that the prequels "copied" the OT, but they really didn't - and if they did, it makes perfect sense as to why...because they were prequels to that story. Was the execution bad? Sure - but the ideas were not. Then you watch the Clone Wars, and there's nothing but further depth and context added to the prequel era, and completely new stuff that's pretty original to Star Wars. Sure there's a lot of crap too, but still. Then you look at what his plans were for a sequel trilogy - people may have hated him delving even further into the science of the force, midichlorians and all that - but got damn did it sound original, both in general - and for Star Wars.

Star Wars is the epitome of creative bankruptcy - they just can't seem to develop anything new in the universe without bringing in the same old shit. You could argue "but that's Star Wars" - but it really doesn't have to be.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Ah man I thought it was gonna be a sequel to Kotor 2 but with the Republic in good shape after light side exile helped out on Telos and brought stability like GOTO wanted, and thus started restoration efforts on other rim worlds, and the Republic rebuilt itself and entered glory years without the Sith Lords.....but then Revan returns dun dun DUN

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I'm kinda disappointed with the timeline but will see how it turns out. My gripes are mainly that species live a long time in the SW universe, 200 years is not even a single lifetime for some species, hell a human could possibly live that long. So, we're going back maybe one generation where character from the prequels are still alive.

Further, for the supposed "Height of the Republic" that's awfully close to the fall of the Republic. Let's be clear, the prequel era was the End of the Jedi and Republic. It's a time where the Jedi Order is completely full of itself and the Republic rampant with corruption. This arrogance and corruption did not start overnight, it had to be built up over the course of years and decades. Rome did not fall in a day, it was a slow process of degradation as a succession of weak leaders, the erosion of public institutions, the corruption of the Senate, and outside powers chipped away at the Empire until it fell. I would expect the same from the Galactic Republic. Thus, I would expect 200 years before the prequels to be the time where this corruption and culminating arrogance of the Jedi to be in full swing. I would not expect this to be the High Republic but rather the start of the Fall of the Jedi.

Next, I'm not a fan of the concept that the Outer Rim is just now being explored 200 years before the prequels. That seems insane to me. In old Legends material the Great Hyperspace War was kicked off when Republic traders ventured out into the Outer Rim areas and discovered the Sith and that was many, many, many years before the prequels. It just seems odd that such an entire region of space was entirely unexplored by the Republic merely 200 years prior to the prequels.

Agreed with all of this.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Ah man I thought it was gonna be a sequel to Kotor 2 but with the Republic in good shape after light side exile helped out on Telos and brought stability like GOTO wanted, and thus started restoration efforts on other rim worlds, and the Republic rebuilt itself and entered glory years without the Sith Lords.....but then Revan returns dun dun DUN
They already did continue the story for this? Revan's story has been concluded already.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I agree fully.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
There's been some more information gleaned from retail listings. It appears that the "great disaster" will be galaxy-wide and include ships being ejected from hyperspace. And it and/or the Nhil may represent a threat to the Force itself.

Books.Disney.com has put up listings for Into the Dark and included synopses.

Into the Dark by Claudia Gray

Padawan Reath Silas is being sent from the cosmopolitan galactic capital of Coruscant to the undeveloped frontier—and he couldn't be less happy about it. He'd rather stay at the Jedi Temple, studying the archives. But when the ship he's traveling on is knocked out of hyperspace in a galactic-wide disaster, Reath finds himself at the center of the action. The Jedi and their traveling companions find refuge on what appears to be an abandoned space station. But then strange things start happening, leading the Jedi to investigate the truth behind the mysterious station, a truth that could end in tragedy….

A Test of Courage by Justina Ireland

When a transport ship is abruptly kicked out of hyperspace as part of a galaxy-wide disaster, newly-minted teen Jedi Vernestra Rwoh, a young Padawan, an audacious tech-kid, and the son of an ambassador are stranded on a jungle moon where they must work together to survive both the dangerous terrain and a hidden danger lurking in the shadows….

Amazon updated the listing for Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule.

Two hundred years before the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, in the era of the glorious High Republic, the noble and wise Jedi Knights must face a frightening threat to themselves, the galaxy, and the Force itself. . . .

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they straight up adapted Shadows of the Empire or any of the number of EU Legends or Knights of the Old Republic over this.
This is dramatically more interesting as a setting than KotOR (a setting that actually was the same as ever) ever was. It'll just be a matter of if they can back it up with stories to match it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The Nihl look and sound incredibly lame, but maybe there's more to them then meets the eye. I'll try to keep an open mind but nothing about this is making me feel like I need to read these books.

I don't mind the idea of Space Vikings. Historical vikings were a real threat during the Middle Ages that Feudal Kingdoms had a tough time understanding and grappling with. Their seafaring tactics and seasonal plunder mentality made wreaked havoc on rigid Kingdoms used to typical warfare against other Kingdoms. I can see the Jedi having difficulty tackling such a foe that has no central base planet or area of operations, but are instead an incredibly organized band of marauders attacking Republic outposts and colonies and then disappearing back into Hyperspace.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
So which ones aren't aimed at kids or young adults?
Don't sleep on Claudia Gray just because it's a YA novel. Lost Stars is the best piece of Star Wars canon to come out of the Disney era - it's YA but definitely on the Adult side of Young Adult, and what I've read of Master & Apprentice so far has been excellent. She "gets" Star Wars. Depending on how her novel reviews, it's probably worth a read.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Eh what you mean? There's only 2 kotor games
Star Wars The Old Republic , the MMORPG, continues the story. There was also a book written for what happened between KOTOR 2 and SWTOR to Revan. You can play the MMO by yourself btw just need to be online, there's 8 class stories that are all goo but the Jedi Knight is more of the continuation of KOTOR 1 and 2

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then is Gray's book, Into the Dark, out October 13; it's about a Jedi and a Padawan during the Great Disaster and how they interact with the regular people of the era. (One of her characters is heavily influenced by Matthew McConaughey.)

Jedi Master Wooderson: "One thing I like about Padawans. The older I get, they stay the same age."

Evil Trooper: "We cant let you pass"
Jedi Master Wooderson: *waves hand* "Be a whole lot cooler if you did."
Evil TRooper: "Proceed"
Jedi Master Wooderson: "Well alright alright alright."

Last edited:

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I would probably eat up a Star Wars Hogwarts clone tbh. Theyre probably afraid to factionize the Jedi internally though.
I think it would be one of the few ways they could make things interesting.

I mean, if they're supposed to be actual "knights", this time around, it makes sense to give the same dynamics as nobility, and all the warts of such. Maybe have it be a logical progression of how things were done historically up to this era, before things had to change up again to lead up to the Prequels.

Besides, it's always been portrayed that the Sith historically had issues with their power dynamics until finally the Rule of Two was put in place. I'm sure there's plenty of things the Jedi had to prune over the centuries, as well.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Star Wars The Old Republic , the MMORPG, continues the story. There was also a book written for what happened between KOTOR 2 and SWTOR to Revan. You can play the MMO by yourself btw just need to be online, there's 8 class stories that are all goo but the Jedi Knight is more of the continuation of KOTOR 1 and 2
I'm pretty sure they're pretending TOR doesn't exist because it sucked and was an awful conclusion to the KOTOR storylines. The Exile especially got done dirty but even Revan's ending was fanfic tier.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I'm pretty sure they're pretending TOR doesn't exist because it sucked and was an awful conclusion to the KOTOR storylines.
Disagree, it doesn't suck and has some of the best Star Wars stories written, particularly love Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent. And I say that as a person who also loved both KOTORs. Don't love how fans have turned Revan into a Mary Sue who is perfect in every way though.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Don't sleep on Claudia Gray just because it's a YA novel. Lost Stars is the best piece of Star Wars canon to come out of the Disney era - it's YA but definitely on the Adult side of Young Adult, and what I've read of Master & Apprentice so far has been excellent. She "gets" Star Wars. Depending on how her novel reviews, it's probably worth a read.
I'd give Bloodline a slight edge over Lost Stars - also Claudia Gray. But yes all three are great reads. Only Lost Stars is YA IMO.

I'm really excited for this. It's nice to have a creative team assembled to plan things out like this and they seem passionate and have a defined goal. Let's just hope they can execute it.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Disagree, it doesn't suck and has some of the best Star Wars stories written, particularly love Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent. And I say that as a person who also loved both KOTORs. Don't love how fans have turned Revan into a Mary Sue who is perfect in every way though.
Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent are great but the Emperor storyline is terrible and ends terribly. Revan and the Exile job pretty bad and Scrouge gets off scout free after everything he's done. By the time KotEE came around it's not like "The Outlander" hadn't become pretty Mary Sueish themselves lol.

monome

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Clearly the 200 years are meant to keep those two "eras" (rich Sandbox TM) tethered.

We've had multiyear comics mining the Episode IV-V gap.
With 200 years to play with, your great great great grandchildren won't even have seen Yoda's first canon gray hair.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
The Nihil were mentioned in a comic last month, Star Wars Adventures #30.

dl4j4if150j41.png

The library at the time of the High Republic was also shown.

Zhf1u9s.jpg

I833SC4.jpg

Speaking of the Nihil, they appear to be an amalgamation of races, including many we already know. The released cover for the comic The High Republic appears to show a Zabrak and a Twi'lek and concept art shown in the trailer have several more recognizable species including a Togruta.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm not 100% sold on them yet, I do like how they seem to be making the Nihil a different kind of foe from the Empire and all of its spin-offs. They're more chaotic evil than lawful evil, they've got a ton of alien members rather than being mostly human, they don't really have a uniform design, etc.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent are great but the Emperor storyline is terrible and ends terribly. Revan and the Exile job pretty bad and Scrouge gets off scout free after everything he's done. By the time KotEE came around it's not like "The Outlander" hadn't become pretty Mary Sueish themselves lol.
Disagree about the Emperor storyline, kinda liked the whole narcissistic, pretending to be god and above everyone else but essentially being terrified of dying thing they had going with that character, and the voice acting was ace. And my issue with Revan and Exile isn't how they are portrayed in their games but how fans of them discuss them like they are godlike who do no wrong (I mean, they are both pretty much war criminals). And yeah Outlander is powerful but they get betrayed multiple times and have a cast of characters always helping them, so don't think they go that far into Mary Sue territory, they are fallible.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be one of the few ways they could make things interesting.

I mean, if they're supposed to be actual "knights", this time around, it makes sense to give the same dynamics as nobility, and all the warts of such. Maybe have it be a logical progression of how things were done historically up to this era, before things had to change up again to lead up to the Prequels.

Besides, it's always been portrayed that the Sith historically had issues with their power dynamics until finally the Rule of Two was put in place. I'm sure there's plenty of things the Jedi had to prune over the centuries, as well.
I do wonder how far they will take the Round Table analogies because shit got messy af in King Arthur's court.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017

I think we can all agree that the Republic itself saw degradation and corruption--what's less clear is how much the Jedi were a part of that. If you're going to claim that the PT era Jedi were flawed, then the flip side of the coin is that you've got to demonstrate what the philosophical differences are with the Jedi in the High Republic era that allowed them to own this gold standard label.

I think in a way, what is thought of as a fun little side saga where new stuff takes place is kind of incidentally being forced to answer some of the biggest questions in Star Wars mythos. A chicken and egg scenario where you have to answer whether the "peaceful" periods of the Height of the Republic were the result of a well adhered to philosophy virtually preventing dark side corruption within the Jedi or was it simply the lack of a Sith presence being the sole reason for this?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need centuries of degradation and corruption to push a society into a fascist state. Both in Star Wars and real life that shit happens way faster. In the prequels Palpatine maneuvers himself from senator to Galactic Emperor in under 15 years. That Empire ruled for all of 20 years before it fell. The New Republic was around for another 30 years before the sequels happen. Look at the Empire's real-life inspiration: you had the German Empire which was around for about 50ish years, then the Weimar Republic about 15, then the Third Reich for another 12. So the idea that the Republic needed to be around for this many millennia because it needed this many centuries of rot just to finally get to the PT seems really arbitrary to me. The U.S. created itself, tore itself apart, reunified (and uh, seems on the verge of tearing apart again) in roughly the same amount of time separating the High Republic era from the PT. A lot can happen in a couple centuries.

tl;dr -- 200 years is a long time.

Hopefully such amazing old Jedi like Nomi Sunrider come back
Now we're talking

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I am genuinely shocked that this is not set in the Old Republic era (even just renamed to the High Republic) so that Sith can continue to be used as villains.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Old Republic is set too far back for them to make *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* to the prequels/OT.
We know that the movie trilogy D&D were gonna do were the origins of the Jedi, which would set thousands of years before the OT.

We don't know if this is a direction LucasFilm still wants to go without D&D but it's definitely something was gonna happen. The whole idea behind Rian's trilogy was also that it would be 100% new and have zero connection to anything we've seen. Lucasfilm knows that for Star Wars to continue, we need to start seeing new things. High Republic is a good indication of them wanting to do this, even if it's only set 200 years before.