• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
R2 didn't have a piece of the map, he had the whole map. The story goes that R2 got the map , lets say it's a map containing the location of every jedi temple ever known to the empire,whilst downloading information aboard the death star. He is then able to cross reference that with the piece from Lor San Tekka to find Luke's location.
Sorry..

Where is this stated? Cuz it's not in TFA.

EP7 shows R2 literally waking up and projecting a map with a hole in it. BB-8 then completes it and they find Luke's location.

He didn't cross reference, he literally completed the map with the missing piece.

"LARGE NAVIGATIONAL MAP WITH A SPECIFIC MISSING CHUNK!"

From the script itself

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
LuxCommander Hey not trying to backseat but can you guys please discuss spoilers here instead? I'm trying to avoid them and I'm sure other people in here are too.

Star Wars Spoiler thread

Apologies, was simply speculating based off of what we see on this TV spot. I've tried my best to not mention anything that isn't in 7 or the other trailers (and it helps that there is next to nothing that has leaked regarding the plot of the film), but I'll take it over there from here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Les grand sigh....there it is. Someone in a cockpit celebrating a kill.

Every time.

Huh

Apologies, was simply speculating based off of what we see on this TV spot. I've tried my best to not mention anything that isn't in 7 or the other trailers (and it helps that there is next to nothing that has leaked regarding the plot of the film), but I'll take it over there from here.
Oh I thought you were mixing speculation with spoilers. You don't need to spoiler tag pure speculation

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Luke says goodbye to Rey at the conclusion of this trilogy. He takes his shit and leaves for the far reaches of the galaxy, to live in peace, knowing he did his job with Rey.

Imagine that incredible farewell. Dang.

Big hug.. night time, Luke turns and walks away. He stops, turns around and looks at Rey, strongly this time and says:

"Rey..

The force will be with you. Always."

Turns, gets into his ship, flys away, the trilogy ends with Rey staring up into the sky.. after a big zoom in on her face, camera pans up into the stars.

/ends credits boom

I'd cry tears of joy and fulfillment. Passing the torch without killing off a childhood hero, and giving that torch to the younger generation so that they can have theirs.

Deschain

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry..

Where is this stated? Cuz it's not in TFA.

EP7 shows R2 literally waking up and projecting a map with a hole in it. BB-8 then completes it and they find Luke's location.

He didn't cross reference, he literally completed the map with the missing piece.

"LARGE NAVIGATIONAL MAP WITH A SPECIFIC MISSING CHUNK!"

From the script itself

It's been mentioned in a few interviews i've read.

Here's one - http://ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj...question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens/

On mobile so can't really quote it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's been mentioned in a few interviews i've read.

Here's one - http://ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj...question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens/

On mobile so can't really quote it.
"BB-8 comes up and says something to him, which is basically, 'I've got this piece of a map, do you happen to have the rest?'" Abrams said. "The idea was, R2 who has been all over the galaxy, is still in his coma, but he hears this. And it triggers something that would ultimately wake him up."

He never had the full map. Otherwise there is no reason for R2 to wake up when BB-8 is sitting there telling him he's got the final piece to complete it. He would have otherwise just woken up and given the entire thing to the resistance so he can get back to his master, Luke.

The only reason why he woke up is because BB-8 provided the missing map piece to find Luke

Last edited:

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Huh

Oh I thought you were mixing speculation with spoilers. You don't need to spoiler tag pure speculation

You can't have a Star Wars movie/trailer without someone celebrating/gawking about shooting down an enemy ship.

Ever since Luke was told "Don't get cocky, kid" - They have to keep hearken back to that every time they make a Star Wars movie/trailer.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You can't have a Star Wars movie/trailer without someone celebrating/gawking about shooting down an enemy ship.

Ever since Luke was told "Don't get cocky, kid" - They have to keep hearken back to that every time they make a Star Wars movie/trailer.
But that was my favorite moment in the trailer

This happens in every SW film. It's a hallmark of the franchise. We gunna complain about sabers and space battles too? I dunno.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else thinks the movie opens with a surprise twist crawl describing events previous to TFA, followed by a flashback of Kylo Ren destroying Babby's First Jedi Training School?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone else thinks the movie opens with a surprise twist crawl describing events previous to TFA, followed by a flashback of Kylo Ren destroying Babby's First Jedi Training School?
I'm thinking we get a crawl detailing shit that happened to the FO/Snoke/Kylo/Resistance while Rey traveled to meet Luke. Then the end of the crawl is something like

Meanwhile, Rey finally meets Luke Skywalker..

Pan down from space, zoom on the planet, fly through the ocean, zoom in on Rey/Luke. This is where we see the ocean and island overhead shots.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I quite like this idea, Jett

My only issue is that it fucks up the continuity/seamless transition between the end of TFA and the start of TLJ.

I hope we don't see the flashback until she starts working with Luke.

I imagine the first shot we see in the initial teaser with Rey gasping for air is right after the forceback.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That shot of Rey in the rain with the blue saber gave me chills. Looking very gnarly, love it she must be maaad at Luke.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
/high five

My man. I've been preaching this for months now.

Hell yeah! Luke doesn't have to die at all. I think at least one member of the old cast should be able to live on after their role is complete. There is this huge notion in fiction that main characters have to die in order to end their arcs. That's not necessary. Sure, it can work for some characters, but it doesn't have to be for every character. We already lost Han. We lost Leia in the real world, and thus her character in the films will be absent come Episode 9, we don't have to lose Luke too.

I know Obi-Wan died, but I always thought there was something sadly tragic, and very Seven Samurai like, of him being the last of the Jedi (before Yoda in Empire, of course). I think it could be poetic for Luke to truly be the last Jedi, like Ben was, and he just moved on with his life in peace, while Rey shoulders the burden of being a new hero, and doing great things. Maybe even taking on the surname Skywalker after this trilogy has concluded. She doesn't have to be blood related to continue the name if Ben Solo/Organa? has rejected it.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hell yeah! Luke doesn't have to die at all. I think at least one member of the old cast should be able to live on after their roll is complete. There is this huge notion in fiction that main characters have to die in order to end their arcs. That's not necessary. Sure, it can work for some characters, but it doesn't have to be for every character. We already lost Han. We lost Leia in the real world, and thus her character in the films will be absent come Episode 9, we don't have to lose Luke too.

I know Obi-Wan died, but I always thought there was something sadly tragic, and very Secen Samurai like, of him being the last of the Jedi (before Yoda in Empire, of course). I think it could be poetic for Luke to truly be the last Jedi, like Ben was, and he just moved on with his life in peace, while Rey shoulders the burden of being a new hero, and doing great things. Maybe even taking on the surname Skywalker after this trilogy has concluded. She doesn't have to be blood related to continue the name of Ben Solo/Organa? has rejected it.
For maximum effect, it should have been the Porg going "Woo!" in its little porg voice. <3

Sorry, double post!!
This man gets it

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As always Star Wars trailer music is fantastic. Hopefully JW doesn't disappoint in the actual film.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Probably not a popular opinion but I thought the score of TFA was a bit underwhelming. Especially after how the music in the teasers and trailers was so good.

My favorite track in TFA is March of the Resistance which IMO sounds more like Indiana Jones than Star Wars lol.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Probably not a popular opinion but I thought the score of TFA was a bit underwhelming. Especially after how the music in the teasers and trailers was so good.

My favorite track in TFA is March of the Resistance which IMO sounds more like Indiana Jones than Star Wars lol.
I love that track. When I watch TFA now, the score sounds iconic to me. So many good ones

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think this is actual JW score. I remember the TFA spots including his music.
Nah it definitely is not JW, he doesn't have a modern/bombastic style in any of his works. Some of the TFA TV spots did include his music but nothing done thus far sounds remotely like the way he composes music

If anything I think the only score that's his is the very beginning of the initial teaser. That has JW written all over it.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If this is a known fact, why has it NOT been confirmed by Pablo or anybody in charge of the story? Nothing is conclusive until it's officially stated by the team or explicitly stated/revealed in the movie. Authors often take their own creative liberties when writing their stories. Yes, RJ worked with her, but we have no idea which liberties Claudia took herself.
You can't expect the Story Group to confirm or deny every single theory or idea that's put forward. Pablo's been the only one that indulged the fanbase and even he's decided to not discuss the story and timeline as much as he was when TFA released.
Authors often take their own creative liberties when writing their stories. Yes, RJ worked with her, but we have no idea which liberties Claudia took herself.
They can, but one of the main aims of the Story Group is to ensure that the films and the books and the comics don't conflict with each other.
Secondly.. OK, so she was in contact with them BEFORE Bloodline? When did she stop communicating with them? How long before? Again, I would really love to see this in the text itself.
I managed to find a relevant quote. It's not very specific but it sounds like she was in contact with them relatively recently.
"Leia remained in her cabin for as long as possible during the voyage to Bastatha, using the hours to snatch a quick nap, and then send another communiqué to Luke and Ben. (The Force alone knew when they would hear it. Luke's last message to her had been a while ago, and badly corrupted by radiation interference; wherever they were in the galaxy, they were cut off from communication for the time being.)"
Third, we know that R2 has "been in low power mode since Luke left".

We can conclude that R2 was not communicative with the resistance because 3PO states he's been shut down, and R2 never gives the map piece to the resistance, which he DEFINITELY would have done had he been functional when he reconvened with them.
True, I didn't word my response very well, But R2 must have found some way back to the Resistance after the attack, whether it was Luke that dropped him somewhere or he found another other way back to Leia. They would have known he was with Luke and that something was wrong when he returned.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You can't expect the Story Group to confirm or deny every single theory or idea that's put forward. Pablo's been the only one that indulged the fanbase and even he's decided to not discuss the story and timeline as much as he was when TFA released.

They can, but one of the main aims of the Story Group is to ensure that the films and the books and the comics don't conflict with each other.
They seem to confirm LOTS of things they feel like should be confirmed. I personally feel like the very fact that something that big hasn't been means they could be saving this information for the film itself.

They don't necessarily conflict if it's left open ended, and it sounds like the novel is left open ended and that people have drawn their own conclusions based off of assumption.

I personally believe R2 shut down as soon as Luke left. He said goodbye to him and he powered off. Imagine seeing this play out in TLJ. I think we will see this exact thing happen. Luke says goodbye. Perhaps this is the scene in TFA where he touches R2 on the head.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They don't necessarily conflict if it's left open ended, and it sounds like the novel is left open ended and that people have drawn their own conclusions based off of assumption.
Is it assumption if the book tells us that Leia is still in contact with Luke and Ben six years before the film? It's only logical to come the conclusion that Rey can't have been involved in the academy attack if they're still together at that point. To me anyway.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one haha. I guess it'll be confirmed either way in just over a month.

I can't stop watching.
ezgif-4-77501cb675.gif

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe some people are really so upset by the porgs... Get over it man.

Cute shit is a staple of star wars at this point. Nothing to be done about it. No use wasting negative energy on it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is it assumption if the book tells us that Leia is still in contact with Luke and Ben six years before the film? It's only logical to come the conclusion that Rey can't have been involved in the academy attack if they're still together at that point. To me anyway.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one haha. I guess it'll be confirmed either way in just over a month.

I really appreciate this conversation, it's been super interesting.

My final thoughts, and will agree to disagree with you overall but:

It's unclear, at least with the information we've seen thus far, how long, specifically when, and how often she communicated with Luke and Ben. I think that proves absolutely nothing in relation to when the attack actually happened.

My point is that we CANNOT conclude that Rey was NOT at the attack because the information we have is, like the entirety of her backstory/history in TFA, vague and incomplete.

Therefore we cannot pass "Rey was not a part of the academy attack" along as fact. At this point it's thrown into the large "speculation" pile of ongoing discussion.

CUD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Cute shit is a staple of star wars at this point. Nothing to be done about it. No use wasting negative energy on it.
They do annoy me already to be honest. There better not be a scene where a porg takes down a stormtrooper... The ewoks were pushing but it but porgs doing it would just be too hard to believe.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I'm not 'overly' upset by them, but it does feel like the most blatant example thus far of a 'blatant promotion/cash grab tie-in for toys' that Star Wars has featured (that I can recall, admittedly)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean, I'm not 'overly' upset by them, but it does feel like the most blatant example thus far of a 'blatant promotion/cash grab tie-in for toys' that Star Wars has featured (that I can recall, admittedly)
SW has had furry/cute creatures since the original (you could argue that Jawas fit into this category). I don't feel like Porgs are a cashgrab at all.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
SW has had furry/cute creatures since the original (you could argue that Jawas fit into this category). I don't feel like Porgs are a cashgrab at all.

Of the 'cute furry' creatures, the Jawas are a mere footnote, and certainly not thrown into a 'climactic' moment in a trailer while yelling along with Chewie (be it for comedic relief or not).

The ewoks are the best 'other' example of cute that I can think of off-hand, but they didn't hold up at all being marketed on their own (hence the terrible direct to video movies)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Of the 'cute furry' creatures, the Jawas are a mere footnote, and certainly not thrown into a 'climactic' moment in a trailer while yelling along with Chewie (be it for comedic relief or not).

The ewoks are the best 'other' example of cute that I can think of off-hand, but they didn't hold up at all being marketed on their own (hence the terrible direct to video movies)
Well I mean marketing was completely different in comparison to Disney funding these films/advertising in 2017. Jawas would be a freaking hit today I'd bet on it