• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
so....the fact that a (presumed) change to Disney (a company who, among other things, is promoted at selling merchandise to children) leadership/marketing, and the new 'highlighting' of the small, cute, furry pet-like creatures in the trailer and outside materials.....doesn't strike you as a cash grab on some level? ;)

I'll never understand this type of indignation at companies for doing what companies do.

The reality is that all entertainment not released for free is a cash grab. While the creators are more than likely in it for the art, the studios that actually put the money behind the project to bring it to fruition and release it to the masses are doing so because they want our money. I'm not saying that I'm happy with it, but that's the reality.

Many of the books, movies, television series, comics, video games, etc, would not exist if it wasn't for the people with deep pockets backing it. The reactions to the porgs, before we've even seen their implementation in the movie, seems prematurely knee jerky. It's a cute/ugly creature in a sci-fi fantasy epic aimed towards the family. Star Wars has always had this element to it. Star Wars is a multi-billion dollar franchise as well. Lucasfilm and Disney will leverage that, but they also don't seem to be stepping on the toes of the creators, and allowing them the freedom to tell their stories, within the established structure of the Star Wars universe (and by that I mean we aren't going to be getting a hard R rated, Tarantino directed Star Wars film).

This desire to see Star Wars be more "mature" or "serious," with a complete elimination of "cutesy" or "silly" elements feels like it stems from an insecurity in grown men/women not wanting to be embarrassed for liking a sci-fi fantasy series geared towards a younger audience.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Figboy great post, however I'd like to amend that last sentence. Porgs are meant for everyone (even if the marketing team pushes toys meant for kids). Rian didn't include them because he's targeting a young audience, he included them because he thought they'd enhance the film.

And Yoda smashing R2 with a stick gets a pass you know, since it's the OT (in terms of silly, wacky, cute humor).

The nostalgia blinders are strong

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand this type of indignation at companies for doing what companies do.

The reality is that all entertainment not released for free is a cash grab. While the creators are more than likely in it for the art, the studios that actually put the money behind the project to bring it to fruition and release it to the masses are doing so because they want our money. I'm not saying that I'm happy with it, but that's the reality.

Many of the books, movies, television series, comics, video games, etc, would not exit if it wasn't for the people with deep pockets backing it. The reactions to the porgs, before we've even seen their implementation in the movie, seems prematurely knee jerky. It's a cute/ugly creature in a sci-fi fantasy epic aimed towards the family. Star Wars has always had this element to it. Star Wars is a multi-billion dollar franchise as well. Lucasfilm and Disney will leverage that, but they also don't seem to be stepping on the toes of the creators, and allowing them the freedom to tell their stories, within the established structure of th Star Wars universe (and by that I mean we aren't going to be getting a hard R rated, Tarantino directed Star Wars film).

This desire to see Star Wars be more "mature" or "serious," with a complete elimination of "cutesy" or "silly" elements feels like it stems from an insecurity in grown men/women not wanting to be embarrassed for liking a sci-fi fantasy series geared towards a younger audience.

Thank you for taking the time to put my exact thoughts into a well written post. This crusade against porgs is so weird... Just don't buy the toys if it bothers you that much.

I think they're cute as hell. Totally gonna buy my daughter a stuffed Porg.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh yeah, I agree that porgs are for everyone, but I imagine that children, and the young at heart, will really be drawn to them.

Star Wars itself is for everyone, young and old, man, woman, girl and boy, but there are definitely certain standards that are being met to ensure that it is exactly that.

EDIT: and Surfinn, Yoda smashing R2 with his stick while screaming "mine!" is one of my favorite things from Empire. It cracks me up every time.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Designing SW characters with the explicit intent to market them as toys is a proud tradition started by ESB.

I take no issue with Porgs™

The folks that designed most of the orignal SW characters, vehicles and places were generally ex-product designers. So even when they weren't particularly thinking about the marketability of StormTroopers or whathaveyou, it probably manifested in the design anyway.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love porgs. I love ewoks. here's a pic of my Porg Pez dispenser.
image1vnj5j.jpeg

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Designing SW characters with the explicit intent to market them as toys is a proud tradition started by ESB.

I take no issue with Porgs™

The folks that designed most of the orignal SW characters, vehicles and places were generally ex-product designers. So even when they weren't particularly thinking about the marketability of StormTroopers or whathaveyou, it probably manifested in the design anyway.
RJ says they were included for the specific intent of contrasting the dark, serious tone established in TLJ.

There's no evidence whatsoever they they were created explicitly to sell toys.

That's just cynical bs, with the info we have thus far.

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're arguing about crass commercial populism vs creative artistry, when really the very nature of Star Wars franchise is a mix of both.

Artful cash grabs.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, cynically misinformed is more accurate. The director of the film refutes this claim.

And the way I see it, if you are creating a character for your mega-blockbuster multi-billion dollar franchise that is specifically tailored to add contrast to a darker, more serious tone for your movie, why not design it also in a way that entices further potential revenue for your brand as a whole?

Like it or not, Star Wars is beyond just being fun, entertaining films. They're a media empire. Toys, books, video games, comics, pajamas, shoes, backpacks, household appliances, dish ware, etc etc. Any businessperson in a fancy suit would try to leverage that IP in every way possible.

I created my comic book because I love comics, and wanted to write and draw my own. I will tell you honestly that if a company wanted to turn my indie comic book into toys, video games, films, cartoons, and other multimedia products, I'd be all over it. Doesn't change the fact that the original work was done out of love and passion for comic books.

The Last Jedi will more than likely be incredibly entertaining. It will also sell a shitload of toys and books and clothes and other shit, many of it featuring Porgs. Don't let that stop you from enjoying a series you're passionate about.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the way I see it, if you are creating a character for your mega-blockbuster multi-billion dollar franchise that is specifically tailored to add contrast to a darker, more serious tone for your movie, why not design it also in a way that entices further potential revenue for your brand as a whole?

Like it or not, Star Wars is beyond just being fun, entertaining films. They're a media empire. Toys, books, video games, comics, pajamas, shoes, backpacks, household appliances, dish ware, etc etc. Any businessperson in a fancy suit would try to leverage that IP in every way possible.

I created my comic book because I love comics, and wanted to write and draw my own. I will tell you honestly that if a company wanted to turn my indie comic book into toys, video games, films, cartoons, and other multimedia products, I'd be all over it. Doesn't change the fact that the original work was done out of love and passion for comic books.

The Last Jedi will more than likely be incredibly entertaining. It will also sell a shitload of toys and books and clothes and other shit, many of it featuring Porgs. Don't let that stop you from enjoying a series you're passionate about.
Rian wrote the script. He didn't write it with merchandising in mind, that's the Lucasfilm and Disney marketing departments. I have no doubt they zeroed in on Porgs the moment they read that word in the script, but we have no reason to doubt Rian on this front.

Oct 26, 2017
Rey with a lightsaber in the rain just like her grandpa.

EpisodeII_ObiWan2.jpg

I like this post.

I'm a hardcore SW fan and worship at it's altar but Blade Runner 2049 is legitimately one of the greatest science fiction films ever made.

TLJ looks beyond excellent but from an artistic standpoint I don't see it usurping BL2049.

Realistically, the highest TLJ's gonna get on the list for this year is #3 (2049 and Dunkirk are pretty locked in).

Which is fine in my book. Empire Strikes Back wasn't even the best movie of 1980.

Oct 27, 2017
My hot takes

Porgs will be the next baby groot
Luke is talking to Kylo, Rey is there to save him
Rey is still a Skywalker
TLJ will be better than ESB

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
U

But suits didn't CREATE Porgs. They market them AFTER that content has been created. That's my point. Do you really think people who have the sole profession of designing and creating creatures for SW are thinking "let's create them a LITTLE CUTER so they can be turned into toys and produce revenue!!"? It's not a part of their job

It's just a really bizarre perspective that isn't really based on anything factual.

Whereas we have the director of the film telling us why they were created and how they're used in the film.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Rian wrote the script. He didn't write it with merchandising in mind, that's the Lucasfilm and Disney marketing departments. I have no doubt they zeroed in on Porgs the moment they read that word in the script, but we have no reason to doubt Rian on this front.

That's what I mean. The script probably had some vague mention of a little alien creature that lives on the island with Luke, and the suits at Lucasfilm most assuredly leapt at the chance to get their artists on creating a marketable creature. Star Wars has some awesome artists and the creature designs have always been pretty cool. I don't doubt Rian was writing a script with a story to tell first. That's his job. But a bunch of other folks have to take that script and actually, um, actualize it, then he steps back in and directs that collaboration of gifted people.

U
But suits didn't CREATE Porgs. They market them AFTER that content has been created. That's my point. Do you really think people who have the sole profession of designing and creating creatures for SW are thinking "let's create them a LITTLE CUTER so they can be turned into toys and produce revenue!!"? It's not a part of their job

It's just a really bizarre perspective that isn't really based on anything factual.

Whereas we have the director of the film telling us why they were created and how they're used in the film.

As a creator (I'm an artist and a writer), you definitely think about the potential of character designs outside of the project you're working on. Who's disagreeing with Rian Johnson though? I don't doubt that he created the Porgs for a specific reason in the story (I imagine as a multifaceted character; lighten the mood, and also serve as a new companion to the grieving Chewbacca).

And having set in on creative and design sessions, I will say that yes, designers work with other members of the creative team to achieve a goal. Rian Johnson doesn't own Star Wars. Lucasfilm does. Rian Johnson was hired to write and direct a movie, not design creatures. As I said before, it's a collaborative effort. Lucasfim wasn't micromanaging Rian, as we haven't heard anything of the sort, but I guarantee he, producers, artists, and designers were working together to bring his vision to life.

How does that contradict Johnson's statements, though? I don't think it does. Porgs are still cute creatures that I think will be charming and lovable in the movie, and I believe Johnson's statements about creating them to lighten the mood. I also think that they were designed to be cute, and cute things appeal to people. It's a win/win in my book.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's what I mean. The script probably had some vague mention of a little alien creature that lives on the island with Luke, and the suits at Lucasfilm most assuredly leapt at the chance to get their artists on creating a marketable creature. Star Wars has some awesome artists and the creature designs have always been pretty cool. I don't doubt Rian was writing a script with a story to tell first. That's his job. But a bunch of other folks have to take that script and actually, um, actualize it, then he steps back in and directs that collaboration of gifted people.

But that's now how their creative process works, based on the information we have at hand. Suits are NOT involved in creating the creatures. LucasFilm is in charge of that.. but LucasFilm aren't the suits.

Like, do you imagine corporate dudes installed in the creature creation/CGI department whispering into artists' ears as they design, sculpt and program graphics?

That's what's hanging me up on what you're saying.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
But that's now how their creative process works, based on the information we have at hand. Suits are NOT involved in creating the creatures. LucasFilm is in charge of that.. but LucasFilm aren't the suits.

Like, do you imagine corporate dudes installed in the creature creation/CGI department whispering into artists' ears as they design, sculpt and program graphics?

That's what's hanging me up on what you're saying.

I guess I'm not expressing myself clearly, and for that I apologize. I'm basing my statements off of projects I've worked on, and sessions I've sat in on.

The pipeline I'm used to is that the artist creates work, as is their job, but it doesn't stop there. It has to go through a lot of approvals and green lights before it's finalized. Often, that means that producers, directors, the head art designer, etc, gets to have their input heard. The artists aren't just able to just green light their work. There is a very collaborative process between many aspects of the production. The bigger the production, the more complicated that can be, but then it's usually down to just the heads of those departments that have final say.

The individual artists will almost always be receiving feedback from multiple sources, filtered through their lead. That's what I mean. I say "suits," because they usually are very high up on the food chain, and a lot of decisions have to at least pass through them. The good ones tend to trust their department heads to handle their portion of the production, and it's very collaborative.

I also think people use the term "cash grab" as a pejorative when the result is bad. If the results are positive, I don't think most folks will care either way if it was a cash grab or not.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I guess I'm not expressing myself clearly, and for that I apologize. I'm basing my statements off of projects I've worked on, and sessions I've sat in on.

The pipeline I'm used to is that the artist creates work, as is their job, but it doesn't stop there. It has to go through a lot of approvals and green lights before it's finalized. Often, that means that producers, directors, the head art designer, etc, gets to have their input heard. The artists aren't just able to just green light their work. There is a very collaborative process between many aspects of the production. The bigger the production, the more complicated that can be, but then it's usually down to just the heads of those departments that have final say.

The individual artists will almost always be receiving feedback from multiple sources, filtered through their lead. That's what I mean. I say "suits," because they usually are very high up on the food chain, and a lot of decisions have to at least pass through them. The good ones tend to trust their department heads to handle their portion of the production, and it's very collaborative.

I also think people use the term "cash grab" as a pejorative when the result is bad. If the results are positive, I don't think most folks will care either way if it was a cash grab or not.
It's all good.

Right, so yeah, the final product is agreed upon by more than just the creator of the product.

That still has nothing to do with "cash grab" marketing or creating a creature that's literally designed to sell toys.

There's just no evidence for it. And actually CONTRARY evidence to suggest they were created for a specific purpose for the film.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, we have to stop drawing this line in the sand between commercial and artistic intents. Everything about Star Wars is based on commercial impulses, genre stories to sell to four quadrant audiences. Nothing in the film, conscious or unconscious, is made without some level of "how can I sell this to audiences". Especially on a film of this size. Doesnt mean that cant be made with real craftsmanship, thoughfulness, artistry, but its a hugely commercial job created to appeal to the widest audience possible. The Porgs, as well as every other element in this film, are the not the way they are by accident.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Again, we have to stop drawing this line in the sand between commercial and artistic intents. Everything about Star Wars is based on commercial impulses, genre stories to sell to four quadrant audiences. Nothing in the film, conscious or unconscious, is made without some level of "how can I sell this to audiences". Especially on a film of this size. Doesnt mean that cant be made with real craftsmanship, thoughfulness, artistry, but its a hugely commercial job created to appeal to the widest audience possible. The Porgs, as well as every other element in this film, are the not the way they are by accident.
Well.. yeah, "sell this to audiences" can just be another code word for "is this good, does it work"

People have stated, in this very thread, that Porgs were created with the explicit intention of being marketable towards kids.

There's no evidence of that whatsoever

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Surfinn, the whole movie was made with the explicit intention of being marketable towards different sections of the audience.
I never said anything about that.

Yes, they want to make a movie that appeals to everyone.

That has nothing to do with the claim that "Porgs were made explicitly to be sold to children". There's nothing to support that statement. In fact RJ said they were included to offset the dark tone of the film.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Just saw it for the first time while watching TV tonight. Decent TV spot.

I honestly keep forgetting that it's coming out/so close.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
hey I love things for kids all the time.

Thats why we're in a Star Wars thread is it not

It's almost like if everyone enjoys it

It may not have been designed for children, especially considering there is zero evidence that it was designed for children.

So much for conversations in good faith

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I also want to apologize for derailing the thread. That wasn't my intention!

This TV spot was awesome, and I'm torn between wanting to see more, and wanting to hold off until the movie releases.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I also want to apologize for derailing the thread. That wasn't my intention!

This TV spot was awesome, and I'm torn between wanting to see more, and wanting to hold off until the movie releases.
I've got a feeling we will see a lot more TV spots and short teasers before it's over.

I'm gunna watch em all

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've got a feeling we will see a lot more TV spots and short teasers before it's over.

I'm gunna watch em all

Lol. I legit couldn't tell if that last line was an Episode 1 Anakin reference.

But yeah, I'm totally going to watch and rewatch them all. I've already rewatched this one too many times. The Falcon bursting out of the crystal mines is going to have the theater going nuts. I feel like that entire sequence on that planet (no idea what it's called) is going to be amazing.

And fuck does this movie look beautifully shot.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol. I legit couldn't tell if that last line was an Episode 1 Anakin reference.

But yeah, I'm totally going to watch and rewatch them all. I've already rewatched this one too many times. The Falcon bursting out of the crystal mines is going to have the theater going nuts. I feel like that entire sequence on that planet (no idea what it's called) is going to be amazing.

And fuck does this movie look beautifully shot.
Stop.. stop hyping me mannn. Now I'm gunna have to watch the TV spot again. Fuck, I am way more excited for this film than TFA. We GET TO KNOW REY and everybody else.

Like this is truly an xmas gift.

Lol, I laughed at the Anakin part of your post. I definitely wasn't trying to do that but it works well.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Nah porgs were absolutely for the kids. That one was no doubt designed for christmas shopping in mind. Ppl should stop being so insecure about it though. Either you like it or you don't. I think they're ugly as hell and already annoying but eh. It's no different than having the ewoks in ROTJ

GaijinZero

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fukuoka, Japan
Say what you will, but I'm definitely day#1 on this one. All this marketing talk is simply a distraction from the true power of that trailer. Goosebumps, EVERYWHERE!

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
If we're getting a lightsaber duel in the rain in VIII, then Abrams needs to figure out how to shoehorn in a lightsaber duel in the fog in IX. I love how the sabers illuminate their surroundings now.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If we're getting a lightsaber duel in the rain in VIII, then Abrams needs to figure out how to shoehorn in a lightsaber duel in the fog in IX. I love how the sabers illuminate their surroundings now.
Foggy saber fight would be great. I'd love another forested area in order to have more tree chopping. Or take any sword fight from Hero (jet li) and change it to sabers. I love the scifi settings as much as the next person but sometimes I get goosebumps imagining more ground battles ala rogue one and TFA but have it look like some WW II theaters forests of France Germany etc.