• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
All these Last Jedi trailers are such a tease. They show just enough to let your imagination run wild. The marketing team is doing their job magnificently. F*ckers all of them.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
What is with some people's insistence that Rey be rescued by Kylo Ren? I don't get it. Is it really that uncomfortable of a thought that Rey is strong, capable, resourceful, and heroic, that she doesn't need to be "saved from herself," or saved from being captured by the big scary men in this trilogy?

Rey is going on a Classic Heroes Journey. Her victories will be her own, not anyone else's. She will certainly be aided by her allies and friends, but she won't be succumbing to the Dark Side or even becoming drunk with power. Her driving force is to learn who she is. She thought that lie with her past, but it doesn't. That means it lies ahead of her, and like most young people her age, she is unsure and afraid of what that may be. At her core, she is a kind, compassionate, and empathetic person. She's not going to suddenly stab Luke in the face with his own lightsaber and join Snoke.

She will make mistakes, of course, and most heroes on the heroes journey do, but she will ultimately triumph over her temptations.

Also, her and Luke are on parallel journeys like her and Kylo. Luke feels lost and uncertain. Shaken to his core by what he sees as his greatest failure. Rey will help him overcome that failure and self doubt, as he helps her find herself. Luke won't get out of his funk if Rey turns evil. How is that going to give Luke any kind of arc or growth in this new trilogy?

"Hey, my first apprentice, who happens to be my nephew, went crazy and destroyed my academy. I'm moping on this island and won't make that same mistake again...Oh hey, I find myself now teaching this young woman the ways of the force like I did my nephew, and, wait, what, she's turned evil too? Damn, guess I better eat a bullet, because I suck at this shit."

Rey will be tempted, and that's as far as any "Dark Side turn," will go.

Also, there doesn't have to be a twist for anything. I know Empire blew our minds back in the day, but Star Wars isn't a Shyamalan movie. It's not really known as "the franchise with the twists." One out of seven movies has a twist (you could argue two, if you count Jedi's reveal that Luke is Leia's twin brother; but that was more of a cheap ass pull than a real twist), and suddenly every new Star Wars trilogy has to have a twist in it.

I think some people are setting themselves up for some major disappointment.

Anyway, these tv spots have been awesome, and I am just stupidly excited for this movie. It looks so damn good, and I love not actually knowing what to expect. I can speculate til the cows come home, but the truth is that I have no idea what's coming.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some of my hopes from this movie:

1. Luke has a Jedi Council of Force ghosts (Yoda, Anakin, and Kenobi).
2. Finn actually gets to kick some ass instead of running around screaming all the time.
3. The reveal that Finn is force-sensitive.
4. Rey beating the shit out of Kylo (again).
5. Poe doing some awesome piloting that isn't similar to what we saw in the OT.
6. Snoke being a badass on the level of Palpatine.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want Finn to be a Force user as well. He clearly sensed the presence of Kylo Ren in the Force at the beginning of TFA.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm good point. I just feel like if people like Mace Windu and Ki-Adi-Mundi were more polite with Anakin, especially after what happened to Ahsoka and during Revenge of the Sith, it could have made a small difference. His connection with the Jedi greatly diminished after Ahsoka's trial. He and Obi-Wan even talk about it during a cancelled episode in the Clone Wars series. Anakin would have trusted the Council more instead of feeling like they didn't trust him at all. Palpatine might have had a harder time in convincing him. I know that the EU is no longer canon but I think that Luke himself thought that the restriction on attachments was foolish after VI.

I don't know. I'm just speculating out of nowhere. But your point makes a lot more sense so I'm going to go with what you said Eden.
Feel like he was too far gone by that point. As soon as the dreams started is when Darth Vader became impossible to avoid. Also Luke was proven wrong again in Legends. Went from wise master to faux rescues for the sake of decapitation after his wife was killed.

With her Force-presence no longer hidden, Skywalker soon found Lumiya and forced her to land on the nearby planet Terephon. She removed her veil as she emerged from Ship, and with little left to say to one another due to both being exhausted, the Dark Lady of the Sith and Jedi Grand Master dueled for a final time. Lumiya was quickly forced onto the defensive as Skywalker drove her to the edge of the precipice on which they fought. When she lost her footing and fell, dropping her lightwhip into the chasm in the process, Skywalker saved her, only to ensure her death by decapitating her as she recovered.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
EW covers usually are bad but I love this.

DPArZu9XUAAblhZ.jpg:large

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Feel like he was too far gone by that point. As soon as the dreams started is when Darth Vader became impossible to avoid. Also Luke was proven wrong again in Legends. Went from wise master to faux rescues for the sake of decapitation after his wife was killed.
Ah I see. I didn't read that part sorry. Now it makes more sense. Still, with the support the still had, he really should have told someone about his insecurities at the beginning. The whole story. But Anakin doesn't seem like the type of guy who follows through on what people tell him.

If you don't mind I have one more question. Do you think this problem of attachments and love/family are what twisted Luke (personality wise and emotionally) in the sequel trilogy so far? I know that Kylo Ren betrayed and assisted in the destruction of the Jedi, but was the fact that it was his own nephew who did this the reason why he's so broken now?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ah I see. I didn't read that part sorry. Now it makes more sense. Still, with the support the still had, he really should have told someone about his insecurities at the beginning. The whole story. But Anakin doesn't seem like the type of guy who follows through on what people tell him.

If you don't mind I have one more question. Do you think this problem of attachments and love/family are what twisted Luke (personality wise and emotionally) in the sequel trilogy so far? I know that Kylo Ren betrayed and assisted in the destruction of the Jedi, but was the fact that it was his own nephew who did this the reason why he's so broken now?
Probably. I imagine Luke was incredibly attached to his new role as a mentor and subsequently his students. Attachment is also the reason Kylo turned in the first place. Being sent to train with his uncle made him feel abandoned by his parents even though he was surrounded by people who had the same power as he did.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn, I want a bad ass fight scene with Luke... But such a scene will almost certainly end with him dying... Mentor characters don't last long, especially in star wars.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I get get chills watching the trailers, and even when the Star Wars theme is heard...

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone notice that Luke's outfit starts out white when Rey meets him, but gets progressively darker?

Luke's gonna go evil. Just watch.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone notice that Luke's outfit starts out white when Rey meets him, but gets progressively darker?

Luke's gonna go evil. Just watch.
At the start he's just chilling on his planet with porgs and stuff, whereas later in the film he presumable goes on a mission or adventure against enemies and thus wears something (a bit more) sensible on the field...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like he'll only wear the classic Jedi outfit in the continuation of The Force Awakens' final scene.
On a sidenote, it blows my mind how much better Mark looks in the main TLJ parts compared to the TFA final scene and continuation of that scene. I think you can tell months have passed in the filming (and I guess in the story, too).

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I had it the other way around, Kylo clearly senses Finn in the Force:

https://youtu.be/PAboVYPXkfU?t=170
My take on that scene was that Kylo senses the conflict in him. It's why he knows it's Finn when Hux informs him they've been betrayed.
On a sidenote, it blows my mind how much better Mark looks in the main TLJ parts compared to the TFA final scene and continuation of that scene. I think you can tell months have passed in the filming (and I guess in the story, too).
Yeah, the hard work paid off. He looks great. I'm sure his performance will be too.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Luke: "This truly is Star Wars: The Last Jedi coming to theatres December 15."

Ffs, what were they thinking?

Spectone

What is with some people's insistence that Rey be rescued by Kylo Ren? I don't get it. Is it really that uncomfortable of a thought that Rey is strong, capable, resourceful, and heroic, that she doesn't need to be "saved from herself," or saved from being captured by the big scary men in this trilogy?

Leia, Luke and Han all got rescued in the original trilogy. It is just a plot twist it doesn't mean they are not strong and powerful characters.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man capes need to be in fashion again so I can wear Luke's cape in public.

I randomly saw someone casually wearing a Resistance jacket the other day.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
it kinda looks like they are mashing empire and jedi together into one, so the last movie can explore unique territory.

i wouldn't mind that, but i don't see how they do it in 2.5 hours.