• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I'll be in Vegas when the movie comes out so I'm not seeing it till Saturday. Anyone in Vegas know if this is a really good theater? BRENDEN PALMS 14 WITH IMAX & JBX? Thats where I got my ticket.

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm inclined not to believe "the Pawn" leaks. It's possible he's for real but is extremely inarticulate and a little confused. But kind of seems like he's just making shit up. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
5b86bfda4a5d668c25fa1af112218eb6--movie-theater-the-theatre.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I am shocked this title has had a lot less spoilers than TFA. I guess Disney is doing a better job at keeping things under wrap.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Unmarked spoilers in an OT for a movie thats not even out yet? Seems like a really bad move..

at least require spoilers to be tagged the first week. will be people excited to see it who might want to post but not scroll past any spoilers

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unmarked spoilers in an OT for a movie thats not even out yet? Seems like a really bad move..

at least require spoilers to be tagged the first week. will be people excited to see it who might want to post but not scroll past any spoilers
I mean, the thread title says "Unmarked spoilers." It's really the responsibility of whoever clicks the thread to be ready for it.

I'd rather have open discussion anyways.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the thread title says "Unmarked spoilers." It's really the responsibility of whoever clicks the thread to be ready for it.

I'd rather have open discussion anyways.
I know what it says... just sucks for people who are excited and want to discuss their excitement, oh but can't in the OT.. that's all. Which is usually why OTs allow spoilers, but marked, for like the first week.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I know what it says... just sucks for people who are excited and want to discuss their excitement, oh but can't in the OT.. that's all. Which is usually why OTs allow spoilers, but marked, for like the first week.

The new format for the last few months is the review thread is the spoiler-free thread, and then the OT is spoiler territory. Been going on for a while.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, makes sense for something that has multiple episodes to have a slight delay for those who can't binge. You also might want to do something like discuss a bit after each episode.

What reason does someone who hasn't seen a movie have to be in an OT? You said it sucks that they can't "discuss their excitement." I'd rather have a spoiler-open zone if it means a possibility of genuine discussion rather than a spoiler-free zone just for the sake of people posting "hype" posts that add generally nothing to a "discussion."

Do that "excitement stuff" in the review thread.

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
can anyone explain to me why luke potentially dying is the worst thing ever? if it serves the story what's the problem?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
can anyone explain to me why luke potentially dying is the worst thing ever? if it serves the story what's the problem?

I think if Carrie hadn't died, people wouldn't be losing their shit. The prospect of IX without one of the trio is freaking people out. If IX was gonna be Leia's movie, they could still hold on to that. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of Luke dying, but if done well, fine.

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think if Carrie hadn't died, people wouldn't be losing their shit. The prospect of IX without one of the trio is freaking people out. If IX was gonna be Leia's movie, they could still hold on to that. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of Luke dying, but if done well, fine.
Either way, he'll be in IX. Just a matter of whether he's a solid or a force ghost.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
What Haloid said and I also think some people can't get over Luke not being the insane (frankly, ridiculous) godlike being he was in the Legends EU where he got the perfect woman, constantly kicked ass, and lived forever.

I've only seen some potential spoilers for Last Jedi but I like this direction far more than the old one.

Also, regardless and especially with Carrie not able to come back with IX, Hamill and Luke will both be coming back most likely. Whether he's alive or a ghost.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Just got back from seeing TLJ. (Yes, I'm press, saw it in San Diego)

God damn. I know it's a spoiler thread, but still, people, you really want to go blind.

But if not, here goes, every major spoiler I can think of in bullet point form:

• Rose's sister dies. Her bomber is the only one left and barely manages to drop the bombs. The explosion consumes her bomber too.
  • Luke doesn't want to train Rey, but R2 convinces him with Leia hologram.
  • Leia is blown out to space, but survives thanks to the Force. Ackbar, most of Resistance command dies. Leia basically flies back to the ship after being knocked out and starting to freeze. This is actually one of the first leaks ever of the movie, I remember. But she's not knocked out for most of the movie. She still gets tons of screen time and action.
  • Rey and Kylo are suddenly connected through the Force and can interact with each other.
  • It's revealed Luke tried to kill Ben (he sense the coming darkness), but regretted almost instantly, but not before Ben sees him trying to kill him and that's when it all goes to shit.
  • Yoda appears and HE burns the old Jedi tree. Tells Luke to move on and forget the past. Rey is their last hope now, a new generation.
  • Kylo Ren kills Snoke.
  • Kylo and Rey fight the Pretorian Guards together.
  • Kylo asks Rey to rule the galaxy together. She basically says "ugh, you idiot, no".
  • Reylo does not happen, thank god.
  • Benicio Del Toro's character betrays Rose and Finn.
  • Holdo sacrifices herself in order to let the surviving Resistance escape to Crait. She hyperspaces right into the Supremacy, cutting it by 2/3 and destroying almost all Star Destroyers close to it.
  • Rey and Kylo fight for Anakin/Luke's lightsaber but break it in two and they're knocked out by the explosion. Chewie rescues Rey from what remains of the Supremacy (it manages to stay functional despite it having an entire wing clipped.
  • Captain Phasma dies? Not clear, but I think she does, after fighting Finn.
  • Resistance reaches Crait, but First Order has massive "ramming gun" that will break open the door. They try to destroy it with the skiers, but fail.
  • Finn almost dies trying to be the hero, but Rose saves him. Says the war is won by saving people, not killing. Very sweet, amazing moment. I loved Rose.
  • Nobody answers distress signal (for now) and all hope is seemingly lost.
  • But Luke arrives. The twins reunite. He says people are never truly gone. Kisses Leia on the forehead.
  • Luke goes out to salt flats to meet Kylo Ren for a one on one, but Kylo first orders to shoot every gun at him. Doesn't work.
  • Luke and Kylo duel a bit, in a samurai-like duel. Big epic shots.
  • But Luke's not really there. He's Force projecting himself. He's buying time for the Millennium Falcon to rescue the remaining Resistance, just Leia, Poe, Finn, Rose and a dozen or so fighters.
  • Luke dies after projecting. Not killed, but goes out like Yoda. But... I got the feeling he'll be back.
  • Movie ends with a young boy we met in Canto Bight, working the stables. We see him secretly use the Force on a broom. He has a Rebel Alliance ring given to him by Rose earlier. The story of the Resistance escaping the First Order and Luke confronting Kylo is now widespread and known. Who knows how much time has passed.

Last edited:

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
ManaByte Joeytj Help a girl out!

1. Why is Rey convinced Kylo can be turned toward the light after she saw him kill Han Solo and maimed her friend?
2. Who is Kylo holding his hand out to and when?
3. Can you explain this Kylo shirtless scene? Like wtf, man
4. Rey has her staff by the end of the film, right?
5. Does Rey fight a sea monster?
6. What's up with the cave?
7. What's Rey's arc in the film?
8. Is the reason why Kylo kills Snoke instead of Rey is because he figures that's his only chance to kill Snoke?
9. How does Kylo trick Snoke?

Also, 10, can you, Joeytj, explain how Rey is like "ugh, no, you idiot" after Kylo makes his offer? Like, lol, I want to hear more!!! Haha. Like, what does she say?

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Those leaks. Bruh.
I'm convinced they've ruined Luke Skywalker and everything he worked for in the OT

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh God, the leaks were true.

The one that I'm for some reason most surprised about being true is the last scene.

Prelude to Rian's own upcoming trilogy?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they don't drop the Snoke mystery completely. If JJ doesn't answer it in 9 it'll have been just one giant piece of bullshit.

I mean JJ setup the mystery and then the LucasFilm Storygroup approved more teases in other media. What we know about Snoke is as follows:

1. He isn't a Sith but has massive affinity with the Dark Side of the Force.

2. He is extremely interested in the perfect balance of Light and Dark.

3. He was calling through the Force to Palpatine for decades/Palpatine could sense him in the Unknown Regions and Palpatine was surprised that Vader couldn't sense it at all.

4. Palpatine was obsessed with ancient Sith Artifacts and mapping the Unknown Regions to find Snoke/"The Power".

5. The Chiss Ascendancy actually sent Thrawn to join the Empire to both assess it's ability to face Snoke/"The Threat" and to infiltrate and control the Empire if needed.

6. The Chiss Ascendancy has know about Snoke/"The Threat" well before the events of Episode 1.

7. There is iconography on the floor of the Temple on Ahch-To that looks vaguely like Snoke and represents the duality of the pre-Schism Jedi (schism being when the Sith broke off and the Scourge of Malacor happened). The balance they had between light and dark, their greyness both in the Force and morality.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7i987r/is_snoke_the_first_jedi/

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those leaks. Bruh.
I'm convinced they've ruined Luke Skywalker and everything he worked for in the OT
I mean, on the one hand there's the ridiculous demigod they made him into within the EU with so many successes (family, Jedi Order, absurd power, yada yada).

But on the other hand, from this it sounds like they went the opposite direction. They took the character everyone loved from the OT and made him into nothing. No family, no new Jedi Order, no successful Rebellion, dead friends and family. It's just some cyclical mythos bullshit with no progression.

They already kind of took a dump on Han though, so I guess we shouldn't have expected much.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mean, on the one hand there's the ridiculous demigod they made him into within the EU with so many successes (family, Jedi Order, absurd power, yada yada).

But on the other hand, from this it sounds like they went the opposite direction. They took the character everyone loved from the OT and made him into nothing. No family, no new Jedi Order, no successful Rebellion, dead friends and family. It's just some cyclical mythos bullshit with no progression.

They already kind of took a dump on Han though, so I guess we shouldn't have expected much.

After the NJO storyline Luke's failings start to pile up at a good pace. Lots of not so great plotlines though.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
whew, it doesnt seem that bad
Maybe it'll be better onscreen, but boy it reaallly doesn't look good reading it. They turned all the OT heroes into a bunch of losers, honestly. All the hope ROTJ was supposed to give you in regards to Luke and rebuilding the Jedi, gone because he's just a hermit who quit. Don't even wanna go into Han smh

Edit:
They took the character everyone loved from the OT and made him into nothing. No family, no new Jedi Order, no successful Rebellion, dead friends and family. It's just some cyclical mythos bullshit with no progression.
Exactly all of this. The entirety of the OT seems like a waste now. It was all for nothing because the Empire Jr. and Darth Vader, the sequel, pop up and return things back to how they were in ANH.

Last edited:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I really hope they don't drop the Snoke mystery completely. If JJ doesn't answer it in 9 it'll have been just one giant piece of bullshit.
I'm willing to be the movies will never really go there, side shows and comics etc sure, but I don't think they really care to go that deep.

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure I'll like the movie. It'll probably be very good in a vacuum.

But I'm glad I spoiled myself rotten. I'm able to adjust my expectations with regard to Snoke, Luke, and Rey accordingly going in. I'm also glad that I had the Han stuff spoiled before TFA too.

I mean JJ setup the mystery and then the LucasFilm Storygroup approved more teases in other media. What we know about Snoke is as follows:

1. He isn't a Sith but has massive affinity with the Dark Side of the Force.

2. He is extremely interested in the perfect balance of Light and Dark.

3. He was calling through the Force to Palpatine for decades/Palpatine could sense him in the Unknown Regions and Palpatine was surprised that Vader couldn't sense it at all.

4. Palpatine was obsessed with ancient Sith Artifacts and mapping the Unknown Regions to find Snoke/"The Power".

5. The Chiss Ascendancy actually sent Thrawn to join the Empire to both assess it's ability to face Snoke/"The Threat" and to infiltrate and control the Empire if needed.

6. The Chiss Ascendancy has know about Snoke/"The Threat" well before the events of Episode 1.

7. There is iconography on the floor of the Temple on Ahch-To that looks vaguely like Snoke and represents the duality of the pre-Schism Jedi (schism being when the Sith broke off and the Scourge of Malacor happened). The balance they had between light and dark, their greyness both in the Force and morality.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7i987r/is_snoke_the_first_jedi/
Yeah man. Seemingly doing Luke dirty is not great. (I'll reserve final judgement until Friday but while the scene/sequence/etc might be great in a vacuum it doesn't at all sound like what I wanted as a 30 year fan of the franchise.) But if by the end of IX we still get nothing regarding Snoke. Man. I will not be happy. I also reside in the "Rey Random is silly and pointless" camp so I'm not pleased there either.

As much as I like TFA, and I'm sure I'll like TLJ... I can't help but find a small part of me viewing everything 2013 and on as high budget fanfic.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After the NJO storyline Luke's failings start to pile up at a good pace. Lots of not so great plotlines though.
True, but NJO was pretty deep and late into the life of the old EU. Took a while for his shit to finally catch up with him, and like you said, there were some pretty shoddy plotlines to show that anyways.

Regardless, I still feel like there was a middle ground between the fairly "successful" life he had early-mid EU, and what they apparently have done in TLJ. Obviously I'll have to see it myself, but it sure sounds like they took a dump on the OT characters. Like what the hell was the point of all those movies and character arcs we saw?

The final scene before he
dies/passes on
sounds nice at least, so there's that. Not quite as pathetic as Han's arc.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
ManaByte Joeytj Help a girl out!

1. Why is Rey convinced Kylo can be turned toward the light after she saw him kill Han Solo and maimed her friend?
2. Who is Kylo holding his hand out to and when?
3. Can you explain this Kylo shirtless scene? Like wtf, man
4. Rey has her staff by the end of the film, right?
5. Does Rey fight a sea monster?
6. What's up with the cave?
7. What's Rey's arc in the film?
8. Is the reason why Kylo kills Snoke instead of Rey is because he figures that's his only chance to kill Snoke?
9. How does Kylo trick Snoke?

Also, 10, can you, Joeytj, explain how Rey is like "ugh, no, you idiot" after Kylo makes his offer? Like, lol, I want to hear more!!! Haha. Like, what does she say?

1. It's actually well done. He shows and almost admits openly remorse at killing Han, we see him being bullied constantly by Snoke. We learn Kylo truly does think Luke was about to kill him, so you sort-of understand Kylo more. Rey basically also learns that Luke is hiding the truth, and Kylo is being more honest at that moment. And the typical "I still sense good in him". Rey even confronts Luke about how unjust he's being to Kylo, when Luke was willing to forgive his father, Anakin.
2. Kylo is indeed holding his hand out for Rey during one of their "Force Facetime" sessions and they touch hands a bit. Luke, like a teenagers' father, sees them and stops the whole thing by blowing up a hut.
3. In one of the sessions, Kylo is like, getting ready for bed or something and Rey even says "put a cowl on or something yeez"
4. Actually, I didn't notice her staff at the end, but she doesn't lose it or anything on the island. I think she does have it at the end, but I'm not sure.
5. There's no sea monster fight, no. The sea sloths just produce delicious green milk for Luke. It's a funny/gross scene.
6. The cave (besides being a very cool surreal scene) basically tells her that who her parents are is not important. She thinks she's about to see her parents, but sees herself only.
7. Rey accepts that she's going to be the Last Jedi now and that's all that matter. The future, not the past. Kylo tells her who her parents are, and she finally doesn't care.
8. Oh boy, this one's hard. I think that, yeah, that's his chance to kill Snoke. I think Kylo figures out that killing Snoke and trying to convince Rey to join him is his ego's only way of winning. His darkness wins in the end, but he really does care about Rey.
9. Kylo physically begins the process of killing Rey by pointing the lightsaber at her, but secretly is moving to kill Snoke. He is able to fool Snoke into believing that he's thinking about killing someone, and Snoke's hubris blinds him to the fact Luke/Anakin's lightsaber is moving right next to him, ready to strike. Kylo mentally multitasks, I guess.
10. And yeah, they both work together to kill the Pretorian Guards. But Kylo then says "join me, bla bla bla" and Rey's reaction is disappointment. "Oh no Ben, no" haha, it's not meant to be funny, but it's obviously a "ugh, this guy" and the audience reacts the same, like "oh no". They then reach for Anakin/Luke's lightsaber at the same time, breaking it after using extreme Force at it.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Working on Thurs so no opening funzies for me. Will go on Fri, tho. (And maybe make it a two parter with Disaster artist).

May the force be with those who avoid spoilers.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
1. It's actually well done. He shows and almost admits openly remorse at killing Han, we see him being bullied constantly by Snoke. We learn Kylo truly does think Luke was about to kill him, so you sort-of understand Kylo more. Rey basically also learns that Luke is hiding the truth, and Kylo is being more honest at that moment. And the typical "I still sense good in him". Rey even confronts Luke about how unjust he's being to Kylo, when Luke was willing to forgive his father, Anakin.
2. Kylo is indeed holding his hand out for Rey during one of their "Force Facetime" sessions and they touch hands a bit. Luke, like a teenagers' father, sees them and stops the whole thing by blowing up a hut.
3. In one of the sessions, Kylo is like, getting ready for bed or something and Rey even says "put a cowl on or something yeez"
4. Actually, I didn't notice her staff at the end, but she doesn't lose it or anything on the island. I think she does have it at the end, but I'm not sure.
5. There's no sea monster fight, no. The sea sloths just produce delicious green milk for Luke. It's a funny/gross scene.
6. The cave (besides being a very cool surreal scene) basically tells her that who her parents are is not important. She thinks she's about to see her parents, but sees herself only.
7. Rey accepts that she's going to be the Last Jedi now and that's all that matter. The future, not the past. Kylo tells her who her parents are, and she finally doesn't care.
8. Oh boy, this one's hard. I think that, yeah, that's his chance to kill Snoke. I think Kylo figures out that killing Snoke and trying to convince Rey to join him is his ego's only way of winning. His darkness wins in the end, but he really does care about Rey.
9. Kylo physically begins the process of killing Rey by pointing the lightsaber at her, but secretly is moving to kill Snoke. He is able to fool Snoke into believing that he's thinking about killing someone, and Snoke's hubris blinds him to the fact Luke/Anakin's lightsaber is moving right next to him, ready to strike. Kylo mentally multitasks, I guess.
10. And yeah, they both work together to kill the Pretorian Guards. But Kylo then says "join me, bla bla bla" and Rey's reaction is disappointment. "Oh no Ben, no" haha, it's not meant to be funny, but it's obviously a "ugh, this guy" and the audience reacts the same, like "oh no". They then reach for Anakin/Luke's lightsaber at the same time, breaking it after using extreme Force at it.
Good. Good. Gooooooooooooood. Thank you so much, sir! I am so happy to have Reylo finally be put to bed. What a gross, gross ship. Of course, Reylo fans are freaking out, but, well, it's their own fault. Like, it doesn't make any sense beyond fan fiction for Rey to get romantically involved with someone who killed Han and maimed her best friend.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Rey being no one of importance bothers me more.
All the buildup of mystery surrounding her backstory and how Snoke was supposed to be some ancient being of great importance seems wasted. The fact that they don't delve into Snoke's history is disappointing.

Also, I take it the main Star Wars episodes are no longer a Skywalker story since Rey is random. Unless we count Kylo smh

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's why it's shocking. It's a shame a lot of you are getting spoiled haha. I did NOT see that coming and omg, the entire theater gasped.
I don't get it, the whole theater gasped.. because he's a nobody? Or just because he died.

I don't know man. Rey is nobody. Snoke is nobody. Luke/Han/Leia turned out to be assholes who never got anything of substance done post-OT.

Is it possible that J.J. and Rian were to busy jerking themselves off to truly respect the source material? I guarantee millions of us love Star Wars far more than they do. Doesn't mean we should be the ones steering the ship (fanfic is usually bad/lame for a reason).

At least having been spoiled, I can just sit back and enjoy the film on Friday without the baggage of certain expectations.

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
Well, JJ said 9 was going to be the end of the Skywalker saga. Now we know why.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The snoke being nobody of significance is what bothers me the most, especially after following the books and stuff.
Yeah... the other canon stuff hinting at Snoke's significance makes me think that his death in TLJ is a red hearing. Dude probably isn't dead. Maybe he's beyond death. Maybe he was projecting like Luke. I dunno.

It would be SUPER lame if he ends up being a nobody. The entirety of the story group's new canon would be worthless.

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All the buildup of mystery surrounding her backstory and how Snoke was supposed to be some ancient being of great importance seems wasted. The fact that they don't delve into Snoke's history is disappointing.

Also, I take it the main Star Wars episodes are no longer a Skywalker story since Rey is random. Unless we count Kylo smh
It's funny because the mainstay of Disney right now, the MCU, has taken like what a decade to finally get to the point where important characters might die?

And then for some reason, in Star Wars of all things, they've decided to get all cynical.

"Oh those characters you loved from 30 years ago? They're losers, their dreams didn't work out, their relationships failed, and they generally ended up alone and failures."

Whoopdidoo.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
And then for some reason, in Star Wars of all things, they've decided to get all cynical.

"Oh those characters you loved from 30 years ago? They're losers, their dreams didn't work out, their relationships failed, and they generally ended up alone and failures."
Hell, I grew up during the prequel era (saw the OT first, thanks Pop), and this just seems like they purposely went out of their way to shit on the source material.

Status
Not open for further replies.